ADVERTISEMENT

Yianni all time ranking

Big10isagrind

Feb 12, 2018
I have seen 10,000 Post discussing where Spencer Lee ranks all time.

Yianni and Spencer can become just #5 and 6 all time to win 4 National Titles.

How high on the all time list would you have Yianni! I noticed on another post some fans aren’t happy with Penn States Bonus Production this year. News flash it’s really hard to bonus top 15 guys.

One of the best to ever do it Yanni 15-0 at nationals has 13 straight regular decesion wins. His only two bonus wins 10-1 and 13-4 first 2 matches his freshman year. A couple 6-5 and 2 more overtime wins.

Would you rank any of Penn States once in a generation big 5 ahead of him or does the 4th title Trump all.

Last edited:

How high on the all time list would you have Yanni! I noticed on another post some fans aren’t happy with Penn States Bonus Production this year. News flash it’s really hard to bonus top 15 guys.

One of the best to ever do it Yanni 15-0 at nationals has 13 straight regular decesion wins. His only two bonus wins 10-1 and 13-4 first 2 matches his freshman year. A couple 6-5 and 2 more overtime wins.

Would you rank any of Penn States once in a generation big 5 ahead of him or does the 4th title Trump all.
Taylor.

Reactions: nitlion6

How high on the all time list would you have Yanni! I noticed on another post some fans aren’t happy with Penn States Bonus Production this year. News flash it’s really hard to bonus top 15 guys.

I prefer a career of absolute dominance regardless of #of titles.

I put ALL of our 3 timers above Yanni.

Obligatory gif (fix spelling in title)
yanni-piano-yanni.gif

How high on the all time list would you have Yianni! I noticed on another post some fans aren’t happy with Penn States Bonus Production this year. News flash it’s really hard to bonus top 15 guys.

Bo was a simple roll through from 4x. Lost it on his own potential 6 point move. 4x pretty much trumps everything but Bo >Yanni in my mind.

I could comment on Zain, Ed and Nolf but then I would come across as a homer :)

Bo was a simple roll through from 4x. Lost it on his own potential 6 point move. 4x pretty much trumps everything but Bo >Yanni in my mind.

I could comment on Zain, Ed and Nolf but then I would come across as a homer :)
People seem to forget that about Bo. And was there ever a mor dramatic finals match than his ?

The thing that strikes me about Yianni is, he’s all arms. I am a fan and hope he becomes a 4-time champ then kicks but for the USA on in freestyle.

Last edited:
I think Sasso has a great chance tonight but if Yianni does win it’s tough to put any PSU 3 timer ahead of him. I had Nolf and Bo ahead of Spencer if he won his 4th because Spencer had a number of losses and had been decked. Yianni only has 2 losses and has won at historically very tough and deep weights. He’s not at the top of the 4 timer list because he wasn’t super dominant but the kid just knows how to win. I’m hoping tonight he doesn’t though and that Sasso gets his title

Revisiting this subject, Yianni finishes #30 on the all-time NCAA tournament scoring list. The low finish compared to the other 4 timers (and many 2x and 3x) is due to a total of four bonus points across four tourneys. However, this does highlight his impressive ability to win close matches. And just two career losses is quite impressive.

Revisiting this subject, Yianni finishes #30 on the all-time NCAA tournament scoring list. The low finish compared to the other 4 timers (and many 2x and 3x) is due to a total of four bonus points across four tourneys. However, this does highlight his impressive ability to win close matches. And just two career losses is quite impressive.
Surely there will be plenty of discussion over the next few years and beyond about where he fits all-time. Losing the free-year cost him a shot at #5, which would have been a unique accomplishment.

Points at Nattie's is one measure, but not the one that most will use. With a career win % over 98% (only 2 losses), he'll surely be top-10.

*had never shows up in the record books..
I just don't understand why Yianni and Dake choose to wrestle the matches so close. They both had the ability to be uber dominant..
Basically they could score on demand...

I just don't understand why Yianni and Dake choose to wrestle the matches so close. They both had the ability to be uber dominant..
Sure, I’m just saying I watched the match and Yianni got 2 points for a takedown he never recorded. So when I talk all-time lists I can’t just pretend I didn’t see it.

His winning danger TD in the semis over Eierman that year was suspect also tbh. I think he beats him eventually but it should have gone to SV.
Hey...speaking of Eierman, what is he doing these days? I haven't seen much about him. Is he working at the jobs program at Iowa or doing anything in Freestyle/MMA, etc..?

Hey...speaking of Eierman, what is he doing these days? I haven't seen much about him. Is he working at the jobs program at Iowa or doing anything in Freestyle/MMA, etc..?
Guessing just taking a break since he was in college for 7 years and had a torn ACL his last year. He is signed with HWC I'm pretty sure.

Reactions: Split shot
Sure, I’m just saying I watched the match and Yianni got 2 points for a takedown he never recorded. So when I talk all-time lists I can’t just pretend I didn’t see it.
Why not. Collectively we pretend all the time Oliver didn't have a TD at the end of his match against Loggie Bear.

...And other fan bases like to give Hayden the win over Jason. That was the 1st period though.

And that Ramos didn't have back points against Streebler.
I didn't think there were back points on that one.

I always think the referee plucked up, so when I agree with them I am not smart enough to understand the logic that reads
IF
referee always plucks up AND I agree with call
Then
We are both wrong.

Yianni pointed out on Twitter today that of his 20 victories at the NCAA tournament, 15 were over AAs (previous, current or future). More than every other 4x champion. I didn't look it up, but someone said "Looked old brackets I think Dake beat 12, Sanderson beat 13, and Stieber and Smith both beat 14."

And Arrington (NC State) is likely to AA in the future, bringing his total to 16 out of 20. That might go a little ways toward his low point total. How many points was he expected to get against Eierman (2x), McKenna, Meredith, Heil, Murin (2x), Demas (2x) and Sasso (2x)?

Just curious about how often that set above had been bonused in their careers prior to Yianni facing them in the tournament. Answer: not often!

Demas: once
Sasso: once
Murin: three
Heil: six (he got pinned *a ton*!)
Meredith: four
McKenna: three
Eierman: three (in the space of a month his soph year)

No idea how that compares to the opponents of bonus machines we've seen.

One thing that stands out his last couple of years is that nobody wrestled him to win. Very few took shots. Last year he was getting visibly frustrated. Tough to score lots of points when the opponent never opens up. Like against RBY, who only had six in his NCAA career. I'm sure Yianni wouldn't use that as an excuse.

One thing that stands out his last couple of years is that nobody wrestled him to win. Very few took shots. Last year he was getting visibly frustrated. Tough to score lots of points when the opponent never opens up. Like against RBY, who only had six in his NCAA career. I'm sure Yianni wouldn't use that as an excuse.
The same could be said for Bo Nickal. Sammy Brooks wrestled him every time. Martin did (at least when not on bottom). Moore did in the dual and learned his lesson. Hokit did at nationals. After that ...

Nobody wrestled him to win. Mr. Gomez says "hello" and asks "who is this everybody you speak of?"

The same could be said for Bo Nickal. Sammy Brooks wrestled him every time. Martin did (at least when not on bottom). Moore did in the dual and learned his lesson. Hokit did at nationals. After that ...
Yianni is a four timer and deserves an infinite amount of respect. But Bo's last 2 years, Bo was simply the man. Subjective as hell, but nobody short of 1 or 2 historical greats could have successfully wrestled Bo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT