ADVERTISEMENT

Yariguin Results

Ringer and Gadzhimagomedov. Gadzhi beat Dake at the Yariguin last year and then got tossed on his head by Dake at the world championships.

Ringer gives up a shot clock point in the first. Both in on a shot or two but nothing too deep.

Two for Gadzhi off exposure on Ringers shot. Then a nice duck from ringer. Gets two and they go rolling. Two for Gadzhi for exposure.

Short time down 5-2 Ringer chases but can’t get anything.

Ringer will go for bronze.

Last edited:
Vicki Anthony wins bronze 6-1 off an inside trip and late takedown.

Molinari then Gilman up shortly.

Molinari drops a 4-1 decision. Down 2-1 got to the single a few times, but couldn’t pull it in. Countered in the last seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Watching the Gilman bronze match...if the actual participants don't understand the rules, how are spectators supposed to? Both wrestlers looked confused as to what was happening.

Reactions: danoftw and bigs22
Welp. Gilman won bronze 14-8. Ridiculous match that I was in and out of. Both ended up down in par terre restarts after fleeing the mat I think. Gilman had two takedowns and three turns. I thought they were guts but I was in and out at that point. It was 5-3 and Gilman got a takedown on the edge and all hell broke loose with the scoring. The ref seemed as confused as everyone else which is generally not great.

Anyway Gilman got the bronze.

Thanks for all the updates. Tough draw for Zain. FWIW, Rashidov tech’d Stieber 2 years ago at worlds 11-0. Despite what some irksome mackerel thinks, Zain is right there. Just needs more experience, which is why UWW repecharge sucks...

I thought the gilman match was pretty entertaining. Happy for him. Tough tourney, long trip, long months between tourneys, lots of hours training. So good for him.

But I really feel for zain. He has a great mindset and great people around him.

Hes going to break through at some point. DT is great inspiration for him and many others.

Vicki Anthony wins bronze 6-1 off an inside trip and late takedown.

Molinari then Gilman up shortly.

Molinari drops a 4-1 decision. Down 2-1 got to the single a few times, but couldn’t pull it in. Countered in the last seconds.

gettyimages-1003925950-e1532897781374.jpg

Maybe Molinari should go back to Golf? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
Hmmm, I swear I was reading a thread from some upset pescatarian, went away to do something, came back and it is like it never existed. Oh well, nothing important in it anyway.

...any guess as to how well this tournament was attended by fans of free style wrestling ?...

...any guess as to how well this tournament was attended by fans of free style wrestling ?...
given the location I would guess attendance being sparse. I am a fan and if I had unlimited funds and time not sure this tournament would be on my list of events that I needed to attend.

...thinking of the location in Siberia brought back fond(???) memories of a year long ago when the NCAAs were held in Ames...
... our group was staying in a small motel ... they had just had a 15" snow and the parking lots were plowed with large snow banks at the front doors...
...we took a few cases of bear and just plugged the bottles into the snow bank where they conveniently available night and day ... Rich Lucas was in an adjoining room and helped us keep our outdoor fridge full...!

Siberia in January, and I complain about going to a convention in mid November in the Chicagoland area every year!!!

Sammy Brooks up on C.

Brooks against the German, Dudarov.

Dudarov with a slick takedown. Then attempted a throw and faceplants himself. Brooks with the go-behind. 2-2 at break.

Brooks fights off a single and gets the step out. And Dudarov gasses big time. A go behind and a gut. Then two more go behinds for the 13-2 TF. Dudarov has about 3.5 minutes of wrestling in him.

Snyder up soon on B.

Last edited:
Snyder against Magomedov of Russia.

Snyder in on a single. Can’t finish and in the attempt goes over for four. Brick thrown. Upheld 5-0 Russia. Snyder gets a push out. Down 5-1 at the break.

Snyder gets a point off the shot clock. But the Russian is holding good position. Snyder snap down to a single and reels it in with a minute left. 5-4 Rus. Another snap down, gets to the leg but the Russian is able to get out of bounds to just give up 1. 5-5 with Russian criteria with 24 seconds.

Snyder gets him moving for the push out but the Russian circles and gets Snyder out of bounds. 6-5 Russia with 4 seconds.

Nothing.

Snyder falls 6-5.

Wow. The Russian crowd enjoyed that. That will be a major blow to his Hodge campaign.

Last edited:
IMar lost 11-10 to Belarus.
Mensah-Stock a 10-0 tech

Brooks up in the quarters.
Shot clock and double leg for the Russian, Brooks trails 3-0 at the break.

Brooks gets a shot clock point back. Goes for the chest wrap throw, but ends up on his back out of bounds, they talk it over and give the Russian 4. 7-1 Russia.

Brooks picks up the pace, gets one takedown but gives up two. Falls 11-3.

Reactions: danoftw
Magomedov falls 7-2 to Mongolia, Snyder is done.

IMars opponent falls to Sidakov. So he’s done as well.

Fatih Erdin (common DT victim) takes out Valiev. So Brooks’ tournament is over.

Quite a few disappointed Americans this weekend.

Mensah-Stock makes the finals, so at least the women are representing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Afw6006
Big thanks to you bigs22 for all the updates. Bad weekend for the good guys. Congrats to Gilman and Dieringer though!

Question though: how would Dieringer be facing someone he beat? Seems impossible w/ uww repecharge...

Kind of a foolish challenge from Snyder's coaches. Gave the Russian an extra point on a move that was not going to be overturned. Also, gave him a minute or 2 to rest when Snyder could have gone at him hard and made up 4 points in no time.

When your wrestler has the conditioning advantage, I just don't get these reflex, long-shot challenges that can only take that advantage away. Sometimes PSU does it too.

Edit Addition: Just recently, there was a bad challenge in the N Lee/Moran match in OT. Lee almost had a TD that Moran fended off to end the period. Moran was exhausted, Lee would have a big advantage in the upcoming SV but the challenge allowed Moran to rest up and he was able to muster a nice shot to start the SV to take Nick down for the win.

Last edited:
Kind of a foolish challenge from Snyder's coaches. Gave the Russian an extra point on a move that was not going to be overturned. Also, gave him a minute or 2 to rest when Snyder could have gone at him hard and made up 4 points in no time.

When your wrestler has the conditioning advantage, I just don't get these reflex, long-shot challenges that can only take that advantage away. Sometimes PSU does it too.

Agree. Though with PSU, at least there’s no penalty point.

Agree. Though with PSU, at least there’s no penalty point.

Right, but a penalty point is desperately needed. Too much abuse and too many nuisance challenges. Every other sport has a penalty for a failed challenge. Baseball doesn't, I believe, but that's not a timed sport so wasting time isn't a concern.

Reactions: nerfstate

Yeah Capt. America going against a Russian in Russia is on the ropes and needs Russians to overturn a Russians call. Not going to happen.

Know your environment and know your role.

Sammy Brooks up on C.

Brooks against the German, Dudarov.

Dudarov with a slick takedown. Then attempted a throw and faceplants himself. Brooks with the go-behind. 2-2 at break.

Brooks fights off a single and gets the step out. And Dudarov gasses big time. A go behind and a gut. Then two more go behinds for the 13-2 TF. Dudarov has about 3.5 minutes of wrestling in him.

Snyder up soon on B.
All that time in the Hawk room and all it took to match the talent to the never quit attitude was some time with David Taylor. Good Lord I hope the Iowa administration never tires of the solid 3rd through 5th finishes the Brands boys are good for.

All that time in the Hawk room and all it took to match the talent to the never quit attitude was some time with David Taylor. Good Lord I hope the Iowa administration never tires of the solid 3rd through 5th finishes the Brands boys are good for.
Give it a rest man

Give it a rest man
You need to concentrate more on daddy chores and less on wrestling forum instruction.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you actively participated in a wrestling discussion on here versus attempting to police the board to make certain HR or the Hawk program was being made fun of too harshly.

Just a thought, less policing and more wrestling discussion might be good for the wrestling soul.

Last edited:
Big thanks to you bigs22 for all the updates. Bad weekend for the good guys. Congrats to Gilman and Dieringer though!

Question though: how would Dieringer be facing someone he beat? Seems impossible w/ uww repecharge...

No problem. Something fun to do on night shift.

There were only 6 wrestlers at 79 kilos. So they did a round robin instead of the normal UWW bracket with the top two from each pool making the semis on the opposite side. Ringer and the other guy that made it from his pool lost in the semi and voila.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT