ADVERTISEMENT

Yariguin Results

Sportfan2017

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2017
I hope others are getting a better feed than me.....I keep losing feed. Matches that I have seen so far at 2:10 Am:

James Green wins by Tech
Molinari wins by tech
Colon loses 10-1
Gilman gives up 2 ….gets a four and gives up 5 more takedowns and losing 12-6 gets pinned with 3 seconds remaining in the match
Chamberlain gives up 4 early...…...gives up more in the 2nd after is own shot and then gets teched with 14 seconds to go on another 4 move.....2:50 AM.....might be tapping out :)
V. Anthony will a workwoman-like 11-1 tech...………3:00 AM.....yeah.....I am a loser :)
The stream are dropping less frequently so.....some positives :)

Last edited:
Loser, nothing. This reminds me of the old "Here's to you" Budweiser commercials.

Here's to you Yariguin wrestling watcher.
You get up at 3:00 AM to watch a bad stream of a wrestling tournament in Siberia.
Then report the results to people who are still sleeping.

But, now that people are walking up, they're going to appreciate it. I know I do.

Are there brackets somewhere? I don't see anything on FloArena or Track so how do you know who is coming up on what mat?

I will root for every USA wrestler except Gilman. Wondering if he ran into any Russian huddles.
The Russian coach is probably packing heat.

31745E13-4100-454B-A79C-397EF7BC9B27_cx17_cy11_cw82_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Zain got a bye into the quarters where he'll face the mysterious Russian #3. Seriously. Probably wears a mask, hails from Parts Unknown, and has a foreign object hidden in his singlet.

Zain's bracket is bizarre, which means likely UWW SOP: the 4 guys with a bye are all on one side, and the 8 guys without a bye are all on the other side.

(Also, how does Russian #3 get a bye? They didn't even know who he is --and/or he's the 3rd best Russian.)

Anybody have a good reason for that bracketing -- other than because UWW or because shut up?

This is the kind of open and transparent seeding Foley demands the NCAA emulate.

Zain got a bye into the quarters where he'll face the mysterious Russian #3. Seriously. Probably wears a mask, hails from Parts Unknown, and has a foreign object hidden in his singlet.

Zain's bracket is bizarre, which means likely UWW SOP: the 4 guys with a bye are all on one side, and the 8 guys without a bye are all on the other side.

(Also, how does Russian #3 get a bye? They didn't even know who he is --and/or he's the 3rd best Russian.)

Anybody have a good reason for that bracketing -- other than because UWW or because shut up?

This is the kind of open and transparent seeding Foley demands the NCAA emulate.

Sounds like Foley himself drew up this bracket.

Every bracket in UWW competition is done this way. Byes are always concentrated on the lower half of the bracket with the lowest positions always being given "Qualification" matches (first actual round of wrestling where some wrestlers usually have byes) first, filling in from the bottom. So, if there are 17 wrestlers, 2 wrestlers will wrestle to advance into the very bottom match in the round of 16. If there are 18, 4 wrestlers will wrestle to advance into the bottom match where the winners will face each other. The theory is that this results in the least situations where a wrestler coming off of a bye gets to wrestle someone who already wrestled. Given the short turnaround at some of these tournaments, this is seen as the fair way to do it. There is also the rumor that having a small side of the bracket with repechage gives more countries a shot to get lucky and place well (or even medal).

The #3 Russian thing is a result of a compromise between Russia and UWW. When UWW made the Yariguin a ranking series event, that meant Russia could only enter 3 athletes per weight. However, Russia wanted to enter 5 instead. So, at the weights where Russia wants to enter extra wrestlers, they get 3 spots in the draw, then they have preliminary matches to decide which of their athletes get those spots. The loser is not officially entered in the tournament and is not eligible for repechage.

Every bracket in UWW competition is done this way. Byes are always concentrated on the lower half of the bracket with the lowest positions always being given "Qualification" matches (first actual round of wrestling where some wrestlers usually have byes) first, filling in from the bottom. So, if there are 17 wrestlers, 2 wrestlers will wrestle to advance into the very bottom match in the round of 16. If there are 18, 4 wrestlers will wrestle to advance into the bottom match where the winners will face each other. The theory is that this results in the least situations where a wrestler coming off of a bye gets to wrestle someone who already wrestled. Given the short turnaround at some of these tournaments, this is seen as the fair way to do it. There is also the rumor that having a small side of the bracket with repechage gives more countries a shot to get lucky and place well (or even medal).

The #3 Russian thing is a result of a compromise between Russia and UWW. When UWW made the Yariguin a ranking series event, that meant Russia could only enter 3 athletes per weight. However, Russia wanted to enter 5 instead. So, at the weights where Russia wants to enter extra wrestlers, they get 3 spots in the draw, then they have preliminary matches to decide which of their athletes get those spots. The loser is not officially entered in the tournament and is not eligible for repechage.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, especially with the UWW filter on.

Though I have a different definition of what's fair. Short version -- brackets are like budgets, both are statements of priorities whether explicitly or implicitly.

Russians are really having an on-site wrestle-off where the top 2 guys avoid Zain? When did they hire Tom Ryan?

Zain's alleged first round opponents are up on Mat A. Kuular and Saidulaev.

Kuular wins 2-1 on a shot clock and push out. Neither were particularly close on any shots.

Last edited:
...jes wunderin'...
...how large is the spectator turnout for the Yariguin2019?...
...1,000 ... 5,000 ... 10,000...20,000...?

Gilman up vs TUR

Pushout Gilman, 1-0.
Collar ties... handfighting... looks like an Iowa match.
Gilman, low single - nothing.
Get to the edge & another pushout Gilman, 2-0
Another Sam Stoll pushout, 3-0.

3-0 at break ...

TUR shot off level change, Gilman blocks.
Low single Gilman, works the TD ... plus a lace, 7-0.
2:03 left.
Sam Stoll pushout, 8-0.
1:44....
pushout, 9-0
Under 1:00
TUR had an eye contact problem & Gilman took him down during stoppage...lol No pts awarded.

TG low single.. TUR blocks as time expires.

9-0, Gilman

Reactions: mcruny42 and bigs22
I wanna see Beavis & Butthead again.....Is nobody going to say Gilman beats Peker?? Oh.....Nevermind :)

Reactions: Afw6006
Gilman will wrestle for Bronze.

Having trouble finding Chamberlain result.

EDIT Chamberlain got pinned @ 4:37.

USA Wrestling‏Verified account@USAWrestling
Here's the bout order for tonight (AFTER the Russian wrestle offs) Chamberlain in 1 on mat A
Gilman in 1 on C
Campbell in 3 on B
Dieringer in 6 on A
Retherford in 8 on A
Leathers in 8 on C
Augello in 12 on B
Hildebrandt in 14 on A

Dieringer vs Z. Lin/China

Strong shot to a leg, go-behind by Ringer... no points though.

Nice low CHN shot... Ringer blocks & sprawl ... counter... Ringer TD, 2-0.

4:30... Bad shot by CHN near edge ...Ringer gets a pushout, 3-0.

Crisp low single, Ringer, ... clean finish, TD, 5-0.

3:23 ... Quick go-behind, TD Ringer .... into a tight waist tilt + exposure +2.

9-0 at the break.

Daaaamn ... Ringer trucks CHN w/ a feet-2-back, duck to double ?? ... not sure what that was, but it impressed me.

13-0

That was easy.

Last edited:
Ringer looked really tough. It’s hard not to judge him as “will that shot get it done against Dake” though. Will be excited to see him the rest of the tournament, should be a good barometer.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Zain Retherford (USA) vs Rashidov (RUS)

Zain in dark blue singlet, pacing furiously before the match.
No tape or kneepads or anything.

Fast low single off whistle, Zain, ...working.... has the leg. No points. Could never collect 2nd leg.

Whistle 5:12.

Ties & circling. RUS on shot clock.

hand fighting... 1-0 Zain, from passivity / shot clock.

Deep shot Zain, clean finish 3-0 .... Zain working top, but could not get a turn.

3:35 ... collar ties.. hand fighting... Zain clears a RUS 2 on 1 ....

Break, 3-0 Zain. RUS has not shot.

RUS w/ upper body go-behind /slide-by TD...3-2.... RUS tries to turn via gut wrench, but good defense, Zain

2:05, 3-2 Zain

1:28... Zain maintaining center. blocking... 0:50 ... RUS trying to find an angle, but Zain blocking & has position.... Under 0:30

Damn .... RUS low shot... Zain tried far ankle defense, quick scramble, but RUS converts.

DAMN DAMN DAMN .... 3-4 w/ 0:06 left.

and thats it. DAMMIT

Zain was up 3-0 at break, but I don't think he got a shot off in the 2nd period. RUS was all over him w/ aggression.

Last edited:
I think zain had that first takedown with the new folk style rules. But couldn’t reel that far leg fully in. Looks sharp though

Reactions: diggerpup
Ugh. Great first period against a tough opponent, rough ending. Thought he could have pushed for the step out just before he got taken down.

That early miss really hurt. Good defense by Rashidov when Zain was in real deep. Rashidov was 2/2 on good shots and Zain was 1/2. Hopefully Rashidov pulls him back in.

Damn .. this Rashidov has quite the resume, and Zain was leading most of the match.

Silver in 2017 Worlds @ 61kg
Silver in 2018 Worlds @ 61kg
Gold in 2018 Yarygin @ 61kg

2011 Cadet Worlds, he beat Iran's Yazdani for Gold.

2018 Yarygin @ 61kg, he tech'd Tony Ramos.

Helluva draw for Zain ... great chance Zain gets pulled back into repechage.

Damn .. this Rashidov has quite the resume, and Zain was leading most of the match.

He’s got Chakaev in the semi though. Bronze at 65kg at last years worlds. Should be a good one.

Last edited:

I imagine a lot of you were thinking like me while watching the match...…..There is no way Zain is going to lose this...….until he did. Tough opponent but......DAMN!!

Chakaev takes out Rashidov 3-2. A nice low single was the difference.

Zain's tournament is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT