ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 174

Io
Size or length?
His length is definitely a nice advantage, but he wasn't any longer this year (2018) versus last year (2017).
I have watched the match several times now and Z just wrestled a much better match. He had a plan and he executed it. To me it looks like Mark wrestled without a specific plan, but more like let's wrestle and see how shyt develops.

Io

His length is definitely a nice advantage, but he wasn't any longer this year (2018) versus last year (2017).
I have watched the match several times now and Z just wrestled a much better match. He had a plan and he executed it. To me it looks like Mark wrestled without a specific plan, but more like let's wrestle and see how shyt develops.
I dont know what his wing span is but the "eye test" suggests he has the greater reach compared to most and specifically mark. Combine that with speed makes him a tough out for anyone including mark

As to your comment, I think Im with you that Mark allowed the match to come at him then going for it. Im pretty sure we debated on here last year that he had a couple matches down the stretch that seemed too close for comfort. Some suggested he was working on things like his riding, his defense, this and that. Which all might be true and it worked out.

#tillitdidnt

Forgot about Manville.
It wasn't Valencia's size that got Mark this year. He wrestled better. He got Mark leaning in numerous times and took great shots.
Adjustments will be made and he will be better prepared.
I agree that adjustments can and will be made. it is my believe that Mark is a better wrestler then Zahid, but Valencia is very very athletic and I believe that was at least part of the difference last March.

I agree that adjustments can and will be made. it is my believe that Mark is a better wrestler then Zahid, but Valencia is very very athletic and I believe that was at least part of the difference last March.

Mark won round 1 at NCAAs in 17. Round 2 at NCAAs in 18 went to Zahid. I expect there'll be a round 3 next March, and it will be must see TV. At least for those of us who don't have the very good fortune of seeing it live. :)

pure guess at this point..but if Zahid stays at 174..I say Hall will use a RS this year...just a guess--I do not have insider information.
I think that is a bad guess. One, PSU needs the points at NCAA’s at 174 from Hall, and Manville or anyone else PSU could put there is a significant step down. Two, I’ve never seen Sanderson redshirt a guy to avoid an opposing wrestler.

Mark won round 1 at NCAAs in 17. Round 2 at NCAAs in 18 went to Zahid. I expect there'll be a round 3 next March, and it will be must see TV. At least for those of us who don't have the very good fortune of seeing it live. :)

Actually wasn’t round two the preseason event they wrestled in. I know it didn’t count as official record, or for rankings (yeah, right), but still the second (kinda) college bout for them. Right?

I think that is a bad guess. One, PSU needs the points at NCAA’s at 174 from Hall, and Manville or anyone else PSU could put there is a significant step down. Two, I’ve never seen Sanderson redshirt a guy to avoid an opposing wrestler.

Agree 100%. We need Hall's points and no way Hall redshirts to avoid ANYONE.

A chasing Mark is a scary Mark. He's going to be so motivated to be a better version of himself.

Reactions: Ja1339
Actually wasn’t round two the preseason event they wrestled in. I know it didn’t count as official record, or for rankings (yeah, right), but still the second (kinda) college bout for them. Right?
Correct, but I was only referring to the NCAA Championship showdowns.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Will be excited to see if Marky pushes the pace more and/or switches up his usual style in the March Trilogy.

looks like it is likely that they wrestling in the dual meet... this year and next!

1) Mark
2) Zahid
3) Amine
4) KemDawg
5) Lewis
6) Rogers
7) Labriola
8) Lujan

Kutler AA's if Zahid moves up.

Pains me to say it and I really hope I’m wrong, but I think Zahid may have Mark’s number. Mark’s only win against Zahid is off a penalty point, a scenario unlikely to repeat itself.

Reactions: matter7172
Pains me to say it and I really hope I’m wrong, but I think Zahid may have Mark’s number. Mark’s only win against Zahid is off a penalty point, a scenario unlikely to repeat itself.

I worry it could be a version of Taylor/Dake in college.

Cup half empty thinking, imo. Both are sophomores, with two years of battling to go, assuming Zahid holds 174. These are the types of matches both guys live for. I personally have no problem saying Zahid would be favored, though will never say Mark can't win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT