ADVERTISEMENT

WR blocking

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
I am watching the Texas Tech - TCU game
Techs WRs have made more blocks in 3 qtrs to break long plays that ours have through 8 games.

Our TEs are poor blockers, too. Why are so many kids on one team so weak in the fundamentals of football? Our new WR coach is a great recruiter. Can he teach the fundamentals of the game?

Techs WRs have made more blocks in 3 qtrs to break long plays that ours have through 8 games.

Our TEs are poor blockers, too. Why are so many kids on one team so weak in the fundamentals of football? Our new WR coach is a great recruiter. Can he teach the fundamentals of the game?
I’m not so sure that it’s so much a lack of teaching fundamentals—you have to WANT to block. Case in point do you think the coaches taught the fundamentals of blocking to Gesecki?

It might be for the same reason the WR's can't seem to create separation and get open. They just aren't athletic, strong and fast twitch enough to engage and sustain a block against more athletic DB's and LB's.

On the other side, I’ve seen blocks being made only to have the receiver negate the block by trying get to the sideline instead of cutting inside the block. The Lions have lost a lot of YAC because of it. I hate to say it, but some of it is because some receivers don’t want to get hit. Just football today.

Reactions: KCLion

I watched the replay of Maryland on B1G+. Cephas had some great blocks in space. On one, he allowed Keandre to get five additional yards. Saturday was indeed a coming out game for Dante.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
I’m not so sure that it’s so much a lack of teaching fundamentals—you have to WANT to block. Case in point do you think the coaches taught the fundamentals of blocking to Gesecki?

Recruit players who want to block. Recruit a couple bigger players. What good is a small fast guy who can't even get on he field?

Reactions: PennState_one
This 100%... Blocking is a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT