ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin, one can only hope

you are watching the game and realizing that power football is king. Teach, instruct your "O" Line this winter, spring and summer the fundamentals and the dynamic of RUN BLOCKING

Since Franklin has come aboard what... two Big Ten teams won the title? And four made the playoff?

Jimmy was almost fired and his feet were held to the flame.

On the other hand Franklin was pat on the back and given a raise.

Since Franklin has come aboard what... two Big Ten teams won the title? And four made the playoff?

Jimmy was almost fired and his feet were held to the flame.

On the other hand Franklin was pat on the back and given a raise.
Yep. I recall not so long ago when there were rumors that UM was looking to depart from Harbaugh because he was underachieving. I remember the thread about it on this board and we were jokingly begging UM not to fire Harbaugh.

What the heck happened? How did that loathsome program go from that low point to the pinnacle? Cheating? Urban retiring? I don't know what happened but I hate it!

Recently I saw a similar thread on the Ozone with Buckeye fans hoping that Franklin not be fired. Presumably because they like beating him. Hopefully Frankiln can make a Harbaugh like turnaround and get us to the top...without scandal.

you are watching the game and realizing that power football is king. Teach, instruct your "O" Line this winter, spring and summer the fundamentals and the dynamic of RUN BLOCKING
What offense was joe running in the 6-4 Iowa loss?

You are a real Nostradamus. You waited until after every game was played to tell us the system that works. Brilliant. What system will win next year? Who will win the super bowl?

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Yep. I recall not so long ago when there were rumors that UM was looking to depart from Harbaugh because he was underachieving. I remember the thread about it on this board and we were jokingly begging UM not to fire Harbaugh.

What the heck happened? How did that loathsome program go from that low point to the pinnacle? Cheating? Urban retiring? I don't know what happened but I hate it!

Recently I saw a similar thread on the Ozone with Buckeye fans hoping that Franklin not be fired. Presumably because they like beating him. Hopefully Frankiln can make a Harbaugh like turnaround and get us to the top...without scandal.
Michigan says the same about Day.

You can't say the O Line under Franklin has been effective. Football is a simple game. You have block, tackle and execute. It's situational, not brain surgery. I am not suggesting we return to three yards and a cloud of dust but our line at the average of 6' 5" , 300 + lbs does not know how to effectively run block. We have talented running backs who struggled this year and for many years. Michigan just showed everyone what power football is and there is no substitute for it . It wasn't until just two years ago that under Franklin that we saw a QB under center and utilized a full house back in certain situations. Football is won and lost up front. That is why we lose. Slow out of sync weak run blockers. Balance on both sides and we don't have it.

Reactions: Grass and psu00
You can't say the O Line under Franklin has been effective. Football is a simple game. You have block, tackle and execute. It's situational, not brain surgery. I am not suggesting we return to three yards and a cloud of dust but our line at the average of 6' 5" , 300 + lbs does not know how to effectively run block. We have talented running backs who struggled this year and for many years. Michigan just showed everyone what power football is and there is no substitute for it . It wasn't until just two years ago that under Franklin that we saw a QB under center and utilized a full house back in certain situations. Football is won and lost up front. That is why we lose. Slow out of sync weak run blockers. Balance on both sides and we don't have it.
Why didnt you make a prediction before the season? Any idiot can tell us the obvious after the games are over.

Who will win next year?

It's not just power football. They have small, powerful backs that are hard to locate and can bounce off tackles, and their blocking schemes put a lot of pressure on linebackers. Go the wrong way and you are cut off and there's no one to clean it up. They also have a QB who can move and make all the throws. They are just very solid everywhere and make you work for everything on defense. Not as flashy as some champs, but tough to beat. Not sure they would have beaten a usual Alabama team or Georgia of the last couple of years (maybe even this year). I think Franklins approach can work, but we have to have a QB who can take charge when plays are needed and receivers who can get separation.

Are we all talking about the same James Franklin that we all know and love?

Watching that game last night, I realized that i just can’t picture James coaching in one of these games ever.

Reactions: hoflane
You are a real Nostradamus. You waited until after every game was played to tell us the system that works. Brilliant. What system will win next year? Who will win the super bowl?
I guess we will have to wait until after those games are played for him to tell us. Funny how he didn’t mention anything about Michigan losing 6 straight bowl games until this year when Jimmah served 2 suspensions for cheating. Who says cheaters don’t prosper?

It's not just power football. They have small, powerful backs that are hard to locate and can bounce off tackles, and their blocking schemes put a lot of pressure on linebackers. Go the wrong way and you are cut off and there's no one to clean it up. They also have a QB who can move and make all the throws. They are just very solid everywhere and make you work for everything on defense. Not as flashy as some champs, but tough to beat. Not sure they would have beaten a usual Alabama team or Georgia of the last couple of years (maybe even this year). I think Franklins approach can work, but we have to have a QB who can take charge when plays are needed and receivers who can get separation.
Both teams last night had a lot of seniors and super seniors. They built for this occasion. Sometimes things work out where guys choose to stay rather than graduate or go to the NFL. Michigan has something like 8 or 9 draftable OL players because some chose to stay their extra year and take the NIL money.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Tell us which power run blocking team will win next year.

Of course not but it's as good as most top 10 teams.

Except it isn't. #16 recruiting class is not as good as 1-10.

If everyone were the same you would not complain about losing recruits.

Except it isn't. #16 recruiting class is not as good as 1-10.

If everyone were the same you would not complain about losing recruits.
I'm talking specifically about OL recruits that could play in 2024, not overall recruiting.

In fact I've often made your exact point. A lot of people say Franklin is a great recruiter but a lousy game day coach. I've responded that he's a good but not great recruiter. Two years ago we were 6th but that's the only recent class in the top 10.

Michigan is pretty much the only team to run the traditional pro style offense and compete for or win titles today. Bama used to, but went away from it in circa 2015. Sure it can work, but it’s complicated and you need experienced players.

I’d call Georgia a spread team. Just one that can be very conservative at times as their D is usually so damm good.

I'm talking specifically about OL recruits that could play in 2024, not overall recruiting.

In fact I've often made your exact point. A lot of people say Franklin is a great recruiter but a lousy game day coach. I've responded that he's a good but not great recruiter. Two years ago we were 6th but that's the only recent class in the top 10.
Actually ESPN has PSU as the 10th overall class this year...but your point is well made: Franklin actually has never finished higher than 6th in recruiting, and has had success in the portal, but has failed to put together a complete team. This year his team has a great defense and special teams, but was a total failure offensively, and will enter next season with a glaring deficiency at quarterback with a kid who lacks the mental makeup to compete on the big stage, a receivers group that added only one player when they needed 3, and an entirely new offensive line.

Actually ESPN has PSU as the 10th overall class this year...but your point is well made: Franklin actually has never finished higher than 6th in recruiting, and has had success in the portal, but has failed to put together a complete team. This year his team has a great defense and special teams, but was a total failure offensively, and will enter next season with a glaring deficiency at quarterback with a kid who lacks the mental makeup to compete on the big stage, a receivers group that added only one player when they needed 3, and an entirely new offensive line.
Mostly agree but let's see if new OC can help Allar and the offense. Let's hope Ivey & Evans step up at WR.

PSU replaces 3 OL but we have some highly rated kids coming up. Williams, Burchmeier, Onho, and Donkoh were all 4/5* prospects.

Hopefully if those things come together we could sneak into a 12 team playoff.

Mostly agree but let's see if new OC can help Allar and the offense. Let's hope Ivey & Evans step up at WR.

PSU replaces 3 OL but we have some highly rated kids coming up. Williams, Burchmeier, Onho, and Donkoh were all 4/5* prospects.

Hopefully if those things come together we could sneak into a 12 team playoff.
I don't see it happening with Allar. I think the staff will wait too long for the change and lose 3 before they get it right with Beau.

What offense was joe running in the 6-4 Iowa loss?
Give it a rest. Joe won mountains of big games- home & away against the very best of college football. If you don’t know that, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Reactions: bdgan
Harbaugh is just really good at recognizing talented big men in High School. Just look at Grant and Gram the two monsters in the middle were 3 star kids. Just because kids are 5 star or 3 star you still have to recognize their ability. I guess if you get enough 5 star kids like OSU and Alabama some are going to be studs and you can win.

Reactions: JoeLion
The rating of recruitment has always been subjective and now IMHO almost not relevant due to the transfer portal.

Just look at Grant and Gram the two monsters in the middle were 3 star kids.

Both were 4* top 300 players. Still tough that they were major contributing players by year 2. They essentially supplanted Jenkins by the end of the season.

Tootarootoo, 🙊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT