ADVERTISEMENT

Wolverine victory scenario from a Michigan homer...

When you have the #1 defense in the nation, you'll be in every game. Should be a good game, and a low scoring affair. Last I checked, the over/under was 45.5. I'd take the under if I played penn state games. When games are that close and low scoring, it will usually come down to a couple plays here and there. All Michigan needs is for O'Korn to be relatively serviceable and to not turn it over 3+ times. Having watched a bunch of Michigan tape this week, I'm convinced they'll do a great job on the PSU offense. It's just that they'll struggle to put up points too.

Reactions: Westcoast24
It has worked well for me, no complaints where my Michigan education has gotten me....are you saying a PSU alum couldn’t handle it?
So your take on how to win friends and influence people is to insult your client's and by pissing them off and getting under their skin. Like I said earlier appears to be a winning strategy.

Ok Ok, I am a realist and recognize PSU is and should be favored. You have a 40 point per game offense, a Heisman candidate and lead the nation in scoring defense. This is not an attempt to say Michigan should be favored etc. I was just reading a few posts and thought it would be fun to lay out a counter point to some of the talk that the Wolverines only have a 12% chance to win, that it should be a slaughter etc.

Full disclosure, I am a third generation Michigan alum and totally biased in a Maize and Blue kind of way (who better to play devil's advocate to the common opinion on the game?). I would say there are ample reasons to take the Wolverines' chances seriously this Saturday.

Reasons to fear the Maize and Blue

1. The last two years our D-line has won the battle against your O-line. Barkley has had 59 and 69 yards against us due to this. McSorley was sacked 6 times last year and looked.. ahh.. not very..hmmm.. let's just go with "horrible" against us last year. Our D-line is getting better numbers this year. It is not unreasonable for Michigan to win this battle again. If our D line dominates your O-line, it will be extremely difficult for your offense to get anything done, no matter how good Barkley and McSorley are. This really could happen, it is not a fantasy.

2. If it turns into a low scoring game, kickers could make the difference. Quinn Nordin may be the best in the conference. I give Michigan a strong edge here.

3. Michigan's run game showed some life last week. A strong run game is a good cure for our other offensive problems

4. John O'Korn could improve (he really can't get much worse). He was a 3000 yard passer as a freshman at Houston. He has some passing skills. He is not playing well right now, but he has only been the starter for two games. Rudock improved markedly throughout the season as Harbaugh worked with him. If we can get modest production from the QB, it should be enough to win a low scoring game.

5. McSorley likes 50/50 balls.. these work great when a talented receiver goes against an average DB who does not know how to find the ball. Our DB's have been very good at turning around and locating the ball. If the QB throws up a long back shoulder throw, it will get picked. He seems to have dialed it back a little this year but who knows what he will do under the lights.

I get it, there are just as many or more reasons to think Michigan will lose. I am just saying that we are not as far apart as people are saying. Well at least maybe we weren't before we lost our #1 WR and QB. That being said, we are one pass away from having the same record as you (either a drop at Iowa for you or a catch against Sparty for us). I think these two teams are more evenly matched than some think, due to the strength of our defense. Granted QB has been a mess the last two games for us. If it does not improve, we are done, not just for this game, but for the year.

If O'Korn does improve, watch out. I think we have a couple advantages that could help us sing The Victors in Happy Valley. Looking forward to Saturday. The atmosphere should be great and hopefully it will be a fun game to watch. Here's hoping both teams stay healthy.

It will be an interesting match-up. UM has a great D and field goal kicker. They may have found a running game to help out O'Korn. We have a pretty good D that really doesn't like to give up points. Our offense has a lot of weapons but hasn't been as consistently dominant as expected, partially due to a weak OL which goes up against UM's strength. We have a really good punter, but somehow we went from having one of the best FG kickers in the B1G to just so-so thus far.Could be a really low-scoring affair and that might favor UM. But I think it will probably be somewhat similar to the Purdue game with UM assuming the role of Purdue. UM will hang in there for a while but not have enough offense in the end.

Ok Ok, I am a realist and recognize PSU is and should be favored. You have a 40 point per game offense, a Heisman candidate and lead the nation in scoring defense. This is not an attempt to say Michigan should be favored etc. I was just reading a few posts and thought it would be fun to lay out a counter point to some of the talk that the Wolverines only have a 12% chance to win, that it should be a slaughter etc.

Full disclosure, I am a third generation Michigan alum and totally biased in a Maize and Blue kind of way (who better to play devil's advocate to the common opinion on the game?). I would say there are ample reasons to take the Wolverines' chances seriously this Saturday.

1. The last two years our D-line has won the battle against your O-line. Barkley has had 59 and 69 yards against us due to this. McSorley was sacked 6 times last year and looked.. ahh.. not very..hmmm.. let's just go with "horrible" against us last year. Our D-line is getting better numbers this year. It is not unreasonable for Michigan to win this battle again. If our D line dominates your O-line, it will be extremely difficult for your offense to get anything done, no matter how good Barkley and McSorley are. This really could happen, it is not a fantasy.

2. If it turns into a low scoring game, kickers could make the difference. Quinn Nordin may be the best in the conference. I give Michigan a strong edge here.

3. Michigan's run game showed some life last week. A strong run game is a good cure for our other offensive problems

4. John O'Korn could improve (he really can't get much worse). He was a 3000 yard passer as a freshman at Houston. He has some passing skills. He is not playing well right now, but he has only been the starter for two games. Rudock improved markedly throughout the season as Harbaugh worked with him. If we can get modest production from the QB, it should be enough to win a low scoring game.

5. McSorley likes 50/50 balls.. these work great when a talented receiver goes against an average DB who does not know how to find the ball. Our DB's have been very good at turning around and locating the ball. If the QB throws up a long back shoulder throw, it will get picked. He seems to have dialed it back a little this year but who knows what he will do under the lights.

I get it, there are just as many or more reasons to think Michigan will lose. I am just saying that we are not as far apart as people are saying. Well at least maybe we weren't before we lost our #1 WR and QB. That being said, we are one pass away from having the same record as you (either a drop at Iowa for you or a catch against Sparty for us). I think these two teams are more evenly matched than some think, due to the strength of our defense. Granted QB has been a mess the last two games for us. If it does not improve, we are done, not just for this game, but for the year.

If O'Korn does improve, watch out. I think we have a couple advantages that could help us sing The Victors in Happy Valley. Looking forward to Saturday. The atmosphere should be great and hopefully it will be a fun game to watch. Here's hoping both teams stay healthy.

Michigan's D looks great. That by itself means they will probably be in every game. I don't think PSU offense is going to be that successful. But they have so many weapons that they are bound to get 3 TD's at a minimum over the course of the game. I think the big mismatch in this game is Michigan's offense against PSU's D. If O'Korn has to throw a lot he is going to get intercepted. An early two score lead for PSU is probably going to mean lights out. I'm guessing that PSU's run defense will be the best they've faced yet. With that said, I think Mich road to victory is still run, run, and run, generate at least 3 turnovers, kick 5 field goals, and get at least 1 TD. Although I think PSU is going to have trouble on offense I don't think there is much of a chance that Michigan wins unless they score at least 24 points (probably more like 28) -and ultimately I think that's not going to happen.

Some have touched on it....But to me the biggest factor Saturday is Beaver Stadium White Out! No less than a Heisman winner and Finalist have stated its the toughest environment they ever had deal with and that will be HUGE Saturday. O'Korn looked shaky in a home start an on the road at Indiana and now he is going to improve magically this week in the toughest environment in college football! I guess anything is possible, but as I have stated several times this week the PSU offense may not need to score to win this game as I believe the defense and special teams will score and or setup the O with short fields and PSU will win by at least 2 or 3 scores. If the PSU offense does have some success it could get ugly and think the Iowa game last year at the Beav.

Reactions: Mudge1026
For those doubting the impact of white out experience...From Ohio State's Taylor Decker:

What is the toughest place to play in the Big Ten outside of Columbus and why?
Penn State, for sure. They just have a genuine dislike for us (laughs), they always do the white out, it’s a night game, and man they are just so loud. The students with the little pom-poms, you can’t hear anything in that place. I remember overtime last year, we were going into their student section. We literally all had to look at the ball because we couldn’t hear a thing, it was pretty crazy.

Along with some interviews from an Ohio State TV production:

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownLion
When you have the #1 defense in the nation, you'll be in every game. Should be a good game, and a low scoring affair. Last I checked, the over/under was 45.5. I'd take the under if I played penn state games. When games are that close and low scoring, it will usually come down to a couple plays here and there. All Michigan needs is for O'Korn to be relatively serviceable and to not turn it over 3+ times. Having watched a bunch of Michigan tape this week, I'm convinced they'll do a great job on the PSU offense. It's just that they'll struggle to put up points too.
Being the number one defense because you haven't played anyone with a decent offense is not the same as truly being number one.

Reactions: PS4814
First of all, welcome and good post. Don't ever apologize for being a biased fan. We all are. I take issue with very little of what you wrote. Maybe the one thing is the 50/50 ball thing, in part because we've heard it from many others and it's usually a shot at McSorley (not saying that's the case with you). It really isn't a case where he's just throwing it up and hoping his superior athlete can go get it. It's an integral part of the offense. Wisky came into the B1G Championship Game last year with a very strong secondary and McSorley destroyed them. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about UM's secondary but if I'm a UM fan I'd be careful what I wish for when it comes to hoping McSorley throws a lot of deep balls. Things can go south for you very quickly. Looking forward to the game and please continue to post here.

Good points. Wisky came into last years game at the "4th best secondary in the country." All they talked about before the game was how Wisky's defense would handle PSU offense. All the experts picked Wisky to win the game. Didn't work out!

This is going to be a tough game for us. The disparity between the rankings UM #19 and PSU #2 seems way off since I believe UM is much better. I was certainly encouraged about our chances after watching UM against Indiana last week. We just have to get the ball in the end zone early and quit being stopped on the 3 YL with a first down!

The RPO up the middle has never worked against UM, but I know we probably have to run it. However, I hope we loosen them up a bit with heavy doses of Gesicki, Hamilton, Johnson, and "Blacknall" beforehand.

Not sure what board your reading, but except for the few extreem homers, most expect a difficult game. If I was a Michigan fan, I would be confident as a result of your Defense and the match up against our young offensive line. I do think A lot of Michigan fans are underestimating our defense, which is getting stronger every game up front and which has a legit secondary. You have the field goal advantage, true, but we have a real strong punter. Not sure how many 80 plus yard drives you will be able to put together. On offense, I think you guys also underestimate McSorely, he does not just throw 50 50 balls. When on, he is pretty accurate with the timing routes. We also have some pretty tall and fast receivers. Should be a great game.

Reactions: Mudge1026
it seems to be a hot button with the PSU fan base which I did not realize. Interesting, my client is a PSU alum, I may have to use it on her!

Actually I brought it up because we have picked off a couple of those type of throws already, so contrary to it being a pass that can’t be defended, it is one we have defended quite well so far. It may be different with your athletes. We shall see!
There’s a more than 50% chance that she’ll dump you.

it seems to be a hot button with the PSU fan base which I did not realize. Interesting, my client is a PSU alum, I may have to use it on her!

Actually I brought it up because we have picked off a couple of those type of throws already, so contrary to it being a pass that can’t be defended, it is one we have defended quite well so far. It may be different with your athletes. We shall see!
A lot of PSU people feel the deep ball, which you refer to as 50/50 balls, are what is missing from this year's offense. With Michigan's lack of height in the back 7, I expect that to change this week.

If Michigan is to win, their D line is going to have to beat up on our Oline...not really that far fetched. I think this game will be closer than we’d like and a few big plays will have Penn State on top.

Psu 30 Michigan 20

Or there’s always the referines. Hopefully Harbaugh made his payment recently. We know Llyod never missed a payment.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I'm afraid your QB hasn't experienced anything like the noise Saturday night. Your D has some great athletes but my guess is our offense will hit the big play more often. I think your underestimating McSorley and our WR size advantage over your DB's. Can't wait. Drove from Atlanta yesterday. Sitting at Ottos drinking and getting ready for some great tailgaiting and a great game. Sunday on to to Steelers and Tuesday the Penguins...GO STATE

I look forward to this. He got flustered with the noise at Indiana. INDIANA!!! What is he going to to when the Beav is rockin?

UM keys to the game are simple. Win the turnover battle. Contain SB with 7 and tackle him in space when he does get the ball. Limit the big plays. Score enough to keep it tight late and hope your D carries you to a victory. Hell maybe they come out and have an offensive explosion...who knows, but I don't think they are going to just lay down. This is a statement game for them as well.

What I find annoying is that the talking heads constantly talk down on our offense using the reasoning that we've played no one, while at the same time ignoring the fact that Michigan's supreme defense hasn't played anyone either.

The best offense they've gone against is Air Force who is currently 2-4 on the year. After Air Force the next best O was #78 Michigan St. Hell Georgia State's offense is currently ranked higher (#71) than Michigan State and we held them scoreless. Not claiming transitive property - but let's at least lay out the full picture here.

Reactions: Howie'81
You are not the only one who thinks Michigan can win. In fact, I predict they will win, 27-23. Your defense is too strong, our quarterback too erratic, our offensive line too average, our field goal kicking too inconsistent. Your offense will score just enough to win.
***DISCLAIMER: I have made 104 incorrect picks in a row, but this week, sadly, I will get it right.:(
As a Michigan fan I wish you'd be right but watching our offense is worse then getting a root canal. O'Korn is a deer in headlights when pressured and never goes through his progressions - locks in every single time. If score enough is 10 then maybe but 10 points vs PSU is not enough. Here's to a great game but I think you've picked wrong again.
You are not the only one who thinks Michigan can win. In fact, I predict they will win, 27-23. Your defense is too strong, our quarterback too erratic, our offensive line too average, our field goal kicking too inconsistent. Your offense will score just enough to win.
***DISCLAIMER: I have made 104 incorrect picks in a row, but this week, sadly, I will get it right.:(

This game is setting up a lot like the MSU at UM game--the visiting team playing in a tough environment at night, noboby giving them much of a shot, etc.

If UM wins, it will be a very ugly type of low scoring game like MSU got in Ann Arbor with their defense playing lights out. If the game starts getting into the 20s, UM is in big trouble unless they get non offensive TDs.

I mean, even at it's worst, PSUs offense will score a couple TDs, right? Not sure will UM will get scoring from.

PSU 27-UM16

Despite your long-winded post, you didn’t actually touch on the reason why scUM could very well exit State College with a win.

A low-scoring game because of two great defenses that involves field goal kicking. My regrettable prediction is that Quinn hits a 45+ yard FG late in the game for the scUM win.
That's why you'll never be anything more than Peetz's Pool Boy.

LOL. Ask JoMo about point #5. Beat it.

IF O'Korn improves? Good luck with that in the environment he'll be in.

re: the 50/50 balls, it should be noted that McSorely set a PSU record for consecutive completions in his last game.

Reactions: hereforthebeer
You can complete 15 50/50 passes in a row.....the odds are 1/32,768 times that will happen. Wow is McSorely lucky.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have stated mine, can’t change it for the audience...

This is why I have no problem with you coming here to post. Homer though you may be (as we all are), you didn't come in flaming. The only discredit I'd point out is your comment about losing your #1 QB and #1 WR.....sounds like a prefabricated excuse if you lose. Remember, last year it was just an excuse when PSU fans mentioned being down our #1, #2, #3, and #4 LB, then losing three more during the game!

Maybe...and that's a low probability maybe, if it was at the B1G House, you'd have a chance.

Not at The Beav, Whiteout, and Zombie Nation.

Meeechigan 20
Penn State 34

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT