ADVERTISEMENT

Wolverine victory scenario from a Michigan homer...

tuka313

Jan 30, 2005
Ok Ok, I am a realist and recognize PSU is and should be favored. You have a 40 point per game offense, a Heisman candidate and lead the nation in scoring defense. This is not an attempt to say Michigan should be favored etc. I was just reading a few posts and thought it would be fun to lay out a counter point to some of the talk that the Wolverines only have a 12% chance to win, that it should be a slaughter etc.

Full disclosure, I am a third generation Michigan alum and totally biased in a Maize and Blue kind of way (who better to play devil's advocate to the common opinion on the game?). I would say there are ample reasons to take the Wolverines' chances seriously this Saturday.

Reasons to fear the Maize and Blue

1. The last two years our D-line has won the battle against your O-line. Barkley has had 59 and 69 yards against us due to this. McSorley was sacked 6 times last year and looked.. ahh.. not very..hmmm.. let's just go with "horrible" against us last year. Our D-line is getting better numbers this year. It is not unreasonable for Michigan to win this battle again. If our D line dominates your O-line, it will be extremely difficult for your offense to get anything done, no matter how good Barkley and McSorley are. This really could happen, it is not a fantasy.

2. If it turns into a low scoring game, kickers could make the difference. Quinn Nordin may be the best in the conference. I give Michigan a strong edge here.

3. Michigan's run game showed some life last week. A strong run game is a good cure for our other offensive problems

4. John O'Korn could improve (he really can't get much worse). He was a 3000 yard passer as a freshman at Houston. He has some passing skills. He is not playing well right now, but he has only been the starter for two games. Rudock improved markedly throughout the season as Harbaugh worked with him. If we can get modest production from the QB, it should be enough to win a low scoring game.

5. McSorley likes 50/50 balls.. these work great when a talented receiver goes against an average DB who does not know how to find the ball. Our DB's have been very good at turning around and locating the ball. If the QB throws up a long back shoulder throw, it will get picked. He seems to have dialed it back a little this year but who knows what he will do under the lights.

I get it, there are just as many or more reasons to think Michigan will lose. I am just saying that we are not as far apart as people are saying. Well at least maybe we weren't before we lost our #1 WR and QB. That being said, we are one pass away from having the same record as you (either a drop at Iowa for you or a catch against Sparty for us). I think these two teams are more evenly matched than some think, due to the strength of our defense. Granted QB has been a mess the last two games for us. If it does not improve, we are done, not just for this game, but for the year.

If O'Korn does improve, watch out. I think we have a couple advantages that could help us sing The Victors in Happy Valley. Looking forward to Saturday. The atmosphere should be great and hopefully it will be a fun game to watch. Here's hoping both teams stay healthy.

Ok Ok, I am a realist and recognize PSU is and should be favored. You have a 40 point per game offense, a Heisman candidate and lead the nation in scoring defense. This is not an attempt to say Michigan should be favored etc. I was just reading a few posts and thought it would be fun to lay out a counter point to some of the talk that the Wolverines only have a 12% chance to win, that it should be a slaughter etc.

Full disclosure, I am a third generation Michigan alum and totally biased in a Maize and Blue kind of way (who better to play devil's advocate to the common opinion on the game?). I would say there are ample reasons to take the Wolverines' chances seriously this Saturday.

1. The last two years our D-line has won the battle against your O-line. Barkley has had 59 and 69 yards against us due to this. McSorley was sacked 6 times last year and looked.. ahh.. not very..hmmm.. let's just go with "horrible" against us last year. Our D-line is getting better numbers this year. It is not unreasonable for Michigan to win this battle again. If our D line dominates your O-line, it will be extremely difficult for your offense to get anything done, no matter how good Barkley and McSorley are. This really could happen, it is not a fantasy.

2. If it turns into a low scoring game, kickers could make the difference. Quinn Nordin may be the best in the conference. I give Michigan a strong edge here.

3. Michigan's run game showed some life last week. A strong run game is a good cure for our other offensive problems

4. John O'Korn could improve (he really can't get much worse). He was a 3000 yard passer as a freshman at Houston. He has some passing skills. He is not playing well right now, but he has only been the starter for two games. Rudock improved markedly throughout the season as Harbaugh worked with him. If we can get modest production from the QB, it should be enough to win a low scoring game.

5. McSorley likes 50/50 balls.. these work great when a talented receiver goes against an average DB who does not know how to find the ball. Our DB's have been very good at turning around and locating the ball. If the QB throws up a long back shoulder throw, it will get picked. He seems to have dialed it back a little this year but who knows what he will do under the lights.

I get it, there are just as many or more reasons to think Michigan will lose. I am just saying that we are not as far apart as people are saying. Well at least maybe we weren't before we lost our #1 WR and QB. That being said, we are one pass away from having the same record as you (either a drop at Iowa for you or a catch against Sparty for us). I think these two teams are more evenly matched than some think, due to the strength of our defense. Granted QB has been a mess the last two games for us. If it does not improve, we are done, not just for this game, but for the year.

If O'Korn does improve, watch out. I think we have a couple advantages that could help us sing The Victors in Happy Valley. Looking forward to Saturday. The atmosphere should be great and hopefully it will be a fun game to watch. Here's hoping both teams stay healthy.

Anyone who thinks Michigan doesn’t have a shot is fooling himself. Teams have shown they can contain Barkley if they commit to it. Problem is they can’t stop him and McSorley. We shall see - enjoy the game!

Well, you certainly didn't look as good as your above narrative last week against power house Indiana!

4. O'Korn can improve over his performane from the last two weeks, but McSorley will only be as good as last year, which was his 4th start overall ever in CFB.

5. Oh, boy here we go again. How many 50/50 balls has McSorley thrown this year? Why is it that DBs in the NFL can't defend the backshoulder throw, but UM DBs can? Every weekend you hear during NFL games that a backshoulder fade is impossible to defend. Except by UM DBs.

And I have not seen that many posts on here saying UM has no chance this weekend.

First of all, welcome and good post. Don't ever apologize for being a biased fan. We all are. I take issue with very little of what you wrote. Maybe the one thing is the 50/50 ball thing, in part because we've heard it from many others and it's usually a shot at McSorley (not saying that's the case with you). It really isn't a case where he's just throwing it up and hoping his superior athlete can go get it. It's an integral part of the offense. Wisky came into the B1G Championship Game last year with a very strong secondary and McSorley destroyed them. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about UM's secondary but if I'm a UM fan I'd be careful what I wish for when it comes to hoping McSorley throws a lot of deep balls. Things can go south for you very quickly. Looking forward to the game and please continue to post here.

Of course you could win. 1 maybe but last year isn't relevant, 2 agree, 3 and 4 nope, and 5 this 50/50 ball nonsense is complete bs. Play man and key on Barkley and see what happens. Sure, you have a better D than NW or Indiana, but you have a worse O. Your WRs don't scare me vs PSU dbs, so good luck scoring points or even getting in position to use Pajamas.

I give Michigan a 1 in 3 chance of winning. Can absolutely happen, but I think PSU will win and cover.

Reactions: bdgan
First of all, welcome and good post. Don't ever apologize for being a biased fan. We all are. I take issue with very little of what you wrote. Maybe the one thing is the 50/50 ball thing, in part because we've heard it from many others and it's usually a shot at McSorley (not saying that's the case with you). It really isn't a case where he's just throwing it up and hoping his superior athlete can go get it. It's an integral part of the offense. Wisky came into the B1G Championship Game last year with a very strong secondary and McSorley destroyed them. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about UM's secondary but if I'm a UM fan I'd be careful what I wish for when it comes to hoping McSorley throws a lot of deep balls. Things can go south for you very quickly. Looking forward to the game and please continue to post here.

Isn't 50/50 ball sort of the truth? You either catch it - or you don't. Such a dumb phrase...

I'm afraid your QB hasn't experienced anything like the noise Saturday night. Your D has some great athletes but my guess is our offense will hit the big play more often. I think your underestimating McSorley and our WR size advantage over your DB's. Can't wait. Drove from Atlanta yesterday. Sitting at Ottos drinking and getting ready for some great tailgaiting and a great game. Sunday on to to Steelers and Tuesday the Penguins...GO STATE

Last edited:
I'm afraid your QB hasn't experienced anything like the noise Saturday night. Your D has some great athletes but my guess is our offense will hit the big play more often. I think your underestimating McSorkey and our WR size advantage over your DB's. Can't wait. Drove from Atlanta yesterday. Sitting at Ottos drinking and getting ready for some great tailgaiting and a great game. Sunday on to to Steelers and Tuesday the Pens...GO STATE
My favorite time of year....the atmosphere Saturday should be special..hope the game is too

You are not the only one who thinks Michigan can win. In fact, I predict they will win, 27-23. Your defense is too strong, our quarterback too erratic, our offensive line too average, our field goal kicking too inconsistent. Your offense will score just enough to win.
***DISCLAIMER: I have made 104 incorrect picks in a row, but this week, sadly, I will get it right.:(

You are not the only one who thinks Michigan can win. In fact, I predict they will win, 27-23. Your defense is too strong, our quarterback too erratic, our offensive line too average, our field goal kicking too inconsistent. Your offense will score just enough to win.
***DISCLAIMER: I have made 104 incorrect picks in a row, but this week, sadly, I will get it right.:(
Ugh. The classic fair jinx. :)

Despite your long-winded post, you didn’t actually touch on the reason why scUM could very well exit State College with a win.

A low-scoring game because of two great defenses that involves field goal kicking. My regrettable prediction is that Quinn hits a 45+ yard FG late in the game for the scUM win.

Despite your long-winded post, you didn’t actually touch on the reason why scUM could very well exit State College with a win.

A low-scoring game because of two great defenses that involves field goal kicking. My regrettable prediction is that Quinn hits a 45+ yard FG late in the game for the scUM win.
Actually I did touch on it in point #2...

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Woke up from a horrible dream this morning as UM took a 17-7 fourth quarter lead behind a power running game. But reality awaits the Wolverines in 47 hours.

Irrelevant. This is a different year with different players.This year UM needed OT to beat Indiana. PSU wiped the parking lot with the Hoosiers 45-14.

Edge to UM in FG kicking but PSU has a better punt game. UM has punted 35 times for a net of 36.7yds . PSU 27 times for a net of 42.4yds. Field position will be important in this game and the edge to PSU.in punting. .Also PSU has Barkley returning kickoffs. Advantage to PSU there.

You better hope your run game works on Saturday. PSU will play the run and dare O'Korn to beat them with his arm. UM was 2 for 13 on third downs against Indiana and averaged only 2.9 yards per completion. That wont cut it in this game.

After watching some UM games its clear why Speight was named your starting QB. No reason to think O'Korn will be able to be more than average especially in a white out game at night. PSU has beaten every average QB it has played against thus far. O'Korn will need to play like his hair is on fire if UM expects to win.

Your DBs play pretty good press coverage but they also commit a fair number of pass interference and holding penalties. I think the size advantage PSU receivers have will cause match up problems and I expect to see some penalties called against them.

With all that said, I think this game will be much closer than the people in Vegas think. Turnovers and special teams play will determine the outcome of this one. Michigan needs to get out in front early if it has any chance to win. If PSU gets out to a quick two score lead, its going to be a long night for the Wolverines. Hoping for an injury free game and may the better team win.

Give the 50-50 balls a break. That's a tired and inaccurate argument fueled by myopic sportswriters. If the balls were 50-50, how come the PSU receivers came down with more than 50% of them? Otherwise, a good post.

Irrelevant. This is a different year with different players.This year UM needed OT to beat Indiana. PSU wiped the parking lot with the Hoosiers 45-14.

Edge to UM in FG kicking but PSU has a better punt game. UM has punted 35 times for a net of 36.7yds . PSU 27 times for a net of 42.4yds. Field position will be important in this game and the edge to PSU.in punting. .Also PSU has Barkley returning kickoffs. Advantage to PSU there.

You better hope your run game works on Saturday. PSU will play the run and dare O'Korn to beat them with his arm. UM was 2 for 13 on third downs against Indiana and averaged only 2.9 yards per completion. That wont cut it in this game.

After watching some UM games its clear why Speight was named your starting QB. No reason to think O'Korn will be able to be more than average especially in a white out game at night. PSU has beaten every average QB it has played against thus far. O'Korn will need to play like his hair is on fire if UM expects to win.

Your DBs play pretty good press coverage but they also commit a fair number of pass interference and holding penalties. I think the size advantage PSU receivers have will cause match up problems and I expect to see some penalties called against them.

With all that said, I think this game will be much closer than the people in Vegas think. Turnovers and special teams play will determine the outcome of this one. Michigan needs to get out in front early if it has any chance to win. If PSU gets out to a quick two score lead, its going to be a long night for the Wolverines. Hoping for an injury free game and may the better team win.
Don’t disagree it could go that way, just felt like laying out some Best cases for my team. Can’t wait to see what happens.

Give the 50-50 balls a break. That's a tired and inaccurate argument fueled by myopic sportswriters. If the balls were 50-50, how come the PSU receivers came down with more than 50% of them? Otherwise, a good post.
it seems to be a hot button with the PSU fan base which I did not realize. Interesting, my client is a PSU alum, I may have to use it on her!

Actually I brought it up because we have picked off a couple of those type of throws already, so contrary to it being a pass that can’t be defended, it is one we have defended quite well so far. It may be different with your athletes. We shall see!

PSU players will be motivated after last year. I don't think any current UM players have experienced a whiteout at PSU.

Advantage PSU.

And O'Korn's Houston team lost 5 games that year including,oddly enough, a bowl loss to Jame's Franklin's Vanderbilt Commodores. O'Korn had one of his worst games of that season to Franklin's team. Maybe Franklin has O'Korn figured out.

You forgot #6, One word: Beaver Stadium Night Game White Out ;)

And O'Korn's Houston team lost 5 games that year including,oddly enough, a bowl loss to Jame's Franklin's Vanderbilt Commodores. O'Korn had one of his worst games of that season to Franklin's team. Maybe Franklin has O'Korn figured out.
Seems like everyone does so far, here’s to hoping for improvement or an early Christmas miracle...

Last edited:
? You have plenty of advantages, was just listing things that might favor Michigan...

I liked your post. This is what we all do as fans. I think/hope Penn State's offense will perform at a high level Saturday night. If the D plays a good game and the offense executes well, it could be a long night for Michigan. This will be the best offense Michigan's defense will face so far this year.

I liked your post. This is what we all do as fans. I think/hope Penn State's offense will perform at a high level Saturday night. If the D plays a good game and the offense executes well, it could be a long night for Michigan. This will be the best offense Michigan's defense will face so far this year.
Agree on your offense, they really look good so far.

it seems to be a hot button with the PSU fan base which I did not realize. Interesting, my client is a PSU alum, I may have to use it on her!

Actually I brought it up because we have picked off a couple of those type of throws already, so contrary to it being a pass that can’t be defended, it is one we have defended quite well so far. It may be different with your athletes. We shall see!

So is that what they teach you at Michigan...say things to your clients to get under their skin and piss them off?:confused: Hmmmm, that sounds like a winning strategy.

So is that what they teach you at Michigan...say things to your clients to get under their skin and piss them off?:confused: Hmmmm, that sounds like a winning strategy.
It has worked well for me, no complaints where my Michigan education has gotten me....are you saying a PSU alum couldn’t handle it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT