ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Penn State doing 7 home games while UM and O$U have 8?

Because we hosted Auburn last year. This was our return trip. You have to play all your OOC games at home AND be in the 5/4 home/road cycle of conference schedules to get 8 home games.
Sure. I'm wondering why we have not ever done this.

We can do it too. Just schedule 3 OOC patsies every year where we have 5 home BIG games. We couldn't do it this year since we owed Auburn a home game. What is better for the team, a good win on the road or Youngstown State at home?

We can do it too. Just schedule 3 OOC patsies every year where we have 5 home BIG games. We couldn't do it this year since we owed Auburn a home game. What is better for the team, a good win on the road or Youngstown State at home?
yep complain that theres only 7 home games but also complain they are cupcakes because good teams want home and home

We can do it too. Just schedule 3 OOC patsies every year where we have 5 home BIG games.
This statement is not close to true, especially for OSU. They’ve scheduled H &H with ND (2022-23), Washington (24-25). For good measure in 2025 when they have possibly another 8 at home those 8 include UW and TX. Hate OSU all you want but they are not scheduling OOC patsies. BTW, while I completely agree playing games against a quality OOC team can be extremely important in the long run, PSU going forward has scheduled middle-of-the-road powerhouses WVU and Syracuse.

Teams who schedule home and homes, this will happen occasionally. 9 game conference schedule means you get 5 home B1G games every other year. If this rotation aligns with a year your 3 non conference games are all home, then you’ll get 8 home games. Next year Ohio State has only 6 home games because they play at Notre Dame and are in 5 away B1G rotation.

This statement is not close to true, especially for OSU. They’ve scheduled H &H with ND (2022-23), Washington (24-25). For good measure in 2025 when they have possibly another 8 at home those 8 include UW and TX. Hate OSU all you want but they are not scheduling OOC patsies. BTW, while I completely agree playing games against a quality OOC team can be extremely important in the long run, PSU going forward has scheduled middle-of-the-road powerhouses WVU and Syracuse.
Yeah, the conspiracy BS gets ridiculous on here at times. OSU drops to 6 home games next year when they have to go to ND and OSU plays both Washington and Texas - OOC - in 2025. If you look back at their schedules - going back to the early 2000s - they've played at least one top-notch power every year including teams like USC, Texas, ND.........etc.

But yet to some on here it's the "everybody is out to get me" theory. Just ridiculous

Where in the hell did I say anything about tOSU? There's nothing untrue about my statement.

Michigan has 8 home games because they cowardly backed out of a home and home with UCLA in 2022/2023 in an attempt to improve Harbaugh’s records they replaced UCLA with two home cupcakes.

As mentioned in regards to tOSU, they have only 6 home games in 2023 due to the odd scheduling of their home and home with Notre Dame.

Where in the hell did I say anything about tOSU? There's nothing untrue about my statement.
Hmmm... The OP is talking about UM and OSU scheduling 8 home games and you reply about scheduling 3 OOC patsies. If you’re not referring to them then to whom are you referring?

Another question for our new athletic director.
If someone wanted to ask him a reasonable question about football scheduling, ask him why in the heck we agreed to play Temple home and home and what he is doing to get out of that series and schedule someone of value instead in the 2025/26 timeframe

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I also seem to remember back in the 8 game conference schedule days, Penn State did do this a few times and people bitched up a storm about:
1-cupcakes
2-season ticket package costs being bonkers due to 8 games.

I'm referring to US. We could get 8 home games just the way I described.
what is your point. if PSU wanted they could schedule all home games for OOC but in general, that has not been the thing to do as if you want to play better teams OOC, then you need to do home and home. And if you schedule home and home, than you are talking 7 homes as PSU won't schedule the away game on a year where they only have the 4 Big Ten games.

the original poster just doesn't understand college football scheduling basically.

there obviously is some mathematically challenged people here who don't understand or don't want to understand.
Yep and the original posters question was fine because not every fan knows how things work...the reply that the new athletic director should try it proves the OP is new and has a lot to learn.

Reactions: bison13
what is your point. if PSU wanted they could schedule all home games for OOC but in general, that has not been the thing to do as if you want to play better teams OOC, then you need to do home and home. And if you schedule home and home, than you are talking 7 homes as PSU won't schedule the away game on a year where they only have the 4 Big Ten games.

the original poster just doesn't understand college football scheduling basically.
I have no point, other than explaining to the OP how getting 8 home games can be done. I never said I was in favor of it.

I understand this: Penn State has 7 home games while Michigan and Ohio State have 8. This seems unfair, and what can Penn State do to level this.

I understand this: Penn State has 7 home games while Michigan and Ohio State have 8. This seems unfair, and what can Penn State do to level this.

What is Ohio State going to do next year to "level this" when they only have 6 home games?

Michigan only had 6 home games in 2017. What did they do to "level this"?

What is Ohio State going to do next year to "level this" when they only have 6 home games?

Uncalled for. This is an honest question and it's actually strange how some of you are acting as if your father is the Athletic Director

Purdue and Rutgers only have 6 home games this year. Should they be mad at us because of that?

(answer: no. they do their thing with their OOC schedule, we do ours)

Have you not read the thread? Schedule 3 ooc games the year they have 5 big ten home games. But I think most trams are doing the 3 ooc games in the year they have 4 BT home games. Thereby only going on the road ooc 1 every other year. It's not really unfair, it called College football...catch up.

if you read the thread you got the answer. so if you asked again, the you didn't read the answers.
Exactly. Why are some making this so hard? OK - here it is. B1G teams play 9 games every year - one year they'll play 5 at home, then rotate to only 4 home games the following year (5 on the road).

I'll use OSU since they were singled out and see the extremes in 2 consecutive seasons Besides the 9 B1G games, each team plays 3 OOC games - in OSU's case, this year 2 creampuffs (like most) and Notre Dame all at home in Ohio Stadium. They play their 5 home B1G games also this year which gives them 8 total home games in 2022.

On to 2023. OSU rotates to just 4 B1G home games (5 on the road) and then goes to ND. They play 2 creampuff games in Ohio Stadium which gives them just 6 total home games. If you want to play a legit power every year - Like ND and Auburn (PSU) - you have to return to their stadium the following year

It's not that hard and much of the home game scheduling rotates around the 9 game B1G schedule and what alternate year the school has the 5-game B1G home schedule. If you don't understand, there's nothing anyone can do for you or you're just not bothering to read the responses and just want to argue

One more time - they level it out the following year when they play 8 homes games. Nothing more I can say if you don't understand this. See my post above

Exactly. Why are some making this so hard? OK - here it is. B1G teams play 9 games every year - one year they'll play 5 at home, then rotate to only 4 home games the following year (5 on the road).

I'll use OSU since they were singled out and see the extremes in 2 consecutive seasons Besides the 9 B1G games, each team plays 3 OOC games - in OSU's case, this year 2 creampuffs (like most) and Notre Dame all at home in Ohio Stadium. They play their 5 home B1G games also this year which gives them 8 total home games in 2022.

On to 2023. OSU rotates to just 4 B1G home games (5 on the road) and then goes to ND. They play 2 creampuff games in Ohio Stadium which gives them just 6 total home games. If you want to play a legit power every year - Like ND and Auburn (PSU) - you have to return to their stadium the following year

It's not that hard and much of the home game scheduling rotates around the 9 game B1G schedule and what alternate year the school has the 5-game B1G home schedule. If you this line understand, there's nothing anyone can do for you or you're just not bothering to read the responses and just want to argue
Not sure why you continue this line. Absolutely I understood your point. Did you want a confirmation post on that? If you are saying it needs to go to 6 after it goes to 8, then sure it's confirmation 👍. I'm currently looking up Ohio State playing a 6 game home schedule in past schedules so once I see that I'll go ahead and post that also.

Not sure why you continue this line. Absolutely I understood your point. Did you want a confirmation post on that? If you are saying it needs to go to 6 after it goes to 8, then sure it's confirmation 👍. I'm currently looking up Ohio State playing a 6 game home schedule in past schedules so once I see that I'll go ahead and post that also.
The key to teams like PSU and OSU is to average out 7 home games over several years that will include scheduling a home and away with another top-level football school every year. PSU did it this year - and last - with Auburn. OSU is doing the same with Notre Dame and I read on Eleven warriors that OSU has many of these scheduled in the future. You have to give a major football power a return to their stadium or you'll be playing 3 OOC cream puffs like Michigan is doing this year

Most of this scheduling falls on the school's AD as they want to schedule the other major powers (with a return date) that will put them in prime time with huge TV exposure and especially helps with the monster recruits their after. Many of these big time games are partially for recruiting. Have you noticed how often OSU and Alabama are on national TV against big opponents? The recruits notice this. Yes, they give up a cream puff home game with a return trip but the previous advantages more than make up for it

Last edited:
Stop worrying about what other schools do
If you understand scheduling at all you wouldn't be making these comments

Stop worrying about what other schools do
If you understand scheduling at all you wouldn't be making these comments
Yeah, I don't understand what he's after. PSU could schedule 3 cream puffs every year (all home games) but then would sacrifice TV exposure against a major school like Auburn and recruiting setback because of it.

OK, I understand the scheduling thing and not understanding some of your points and questions. Do you understand that every school has a choice on who to schedule with those 3 OOC games. Most of the bigger powers - like PSU and OSU - want to schedule a big OOC power for national exposure and especially recruiting.

Did you hear - at the end of the OSU-ND game - that OSU had 10 uncommitted 5-star, 2023 recruits at that game and now has a somewhat shot with all of them especially the top 3 DEs in the class. The top one - Keely - recently decommitted from ND and was thought to be a lock for Alabama - but OSU has entered the picture and a lot of that had to do with the insane OSU crowd on his official visit that night. He was so impressed that he's now returning to OSU - ON HIS OWN DIME - to watch the OSU - Wisconsin game in Ohio Stadium this weekend. Do you think he would have had the same reaction if OSU thumped PEE WEE University and thus not having to guarantee a return match the next year.

Same with PSU and Auburn. There were probably some HS kids - especially in the South - that watched the Lions totally destroy Auburn. You don't think that could open up some recruiting doors down South down the road? But, in place of Auburn, PSU could have scheduled Pee Wee U and would not have had to play away this year.

Seriously, it's not a conspiracy and everybody plays by the same scheduling rules. It just comes down to who each AD wants to schedule

How amazing is it that the OP yielded this many replies + this aggregate amount of bickering? lol
I don't think there's bickering - many are trying to explain how scheduling works and a very few just don't understand and want to accept that no one is getting the shaft

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT