ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the world did the Steelers sign Vick?

YeOldeCup

Jan 27, 2005
His poor play will end up getting Bell hurt from overuse.

His career stats are staggeringly bad. He won't be competitive against any team with a pulse. There were better options when he was signed.

Not saying the defense or some unforeseen break could manufacture a win, but it will have nothing to do with Vick -- more so despite him.

Reactions: BBrown and psu 83
I actually think Vick is doing well tonight. He isn't going to wow you, but he needs to manage the game. Offense needs to be around Bell.

I actually think Vick is doing well tonight. He isn't going to wow you, but he needs to manage the game. Offense needs to be around Bell.

This is 2-2 San Diego. 7-13 for 78 yards with a pick and 2 sacks thus far. And some of those misses haven't even been close. Even with Bell carrying the load, he's not delivering.

Reactions: BBrown

His career stats are staggeringly bad. He won't be competitive against any team with a pulse. There were better options when he was signed.

Not saying the defense or some unforeseen break could manufacture a win, but it will have nothing to do with Vick -- more so despite him.
Bubby Brister was just a bit too old.....and they couldn't find Rob Bolden's contact number. (although, the Steeler FO may take a second look :) )

This is 2-2 San Diego. 7-13 for 78 yards with a pick and 2 sacks thus far. And some of those misses haven't even been close. Even with Bell carrying the load, he's not delivering.

I don't think anyone expects Vick to put up huge numbers, but he needs help. Brown has been horrible tonight. He can't even return s punt. Wheaton dropped a first down pass.

I don't think anyone expects Vick to put up huge numbers, but he needs help. Brown has been horrible tonight. He can't even return s punt. Wheaton dropped a first down pass.

I would make one adjustment to your post:

"I don't think anyone expects Vick to put up huge numbers, but he needs TO help."

Bell essentially took the O down for a FG and the defense has contributed a pick 6.

Nate I seriously doubt anything else you ever will say if you truly believe Vick is playing well. OMG. He is playing like shit and it's not even close.

Nate I seriously doubt anything else you ever will say if you truly believe Vick is playing well. OMG. He is playing like shit and it's not even close.
A Steeler team led by Head Coach Mike "Field Goal" Tomlin on the sidelines, and Michael Vick on the field........good Lord almighty, what have Steeler fans done to annoy the Gods of Pigskin?

Reactions: eloracv and BBrown

I honestly thought he played ok in the first half, but he is bad right now.

A Steeler team led by Head Coach Mike "Field Goal" Tomlin on the sidelines, and Michael Vick on the field........good Lord almighty, what have Steeler fans done to annoy the Gods of Pigskin?

Vick is easily the worst QB in the league at this point. He literally can't complete a meaningful pass.

Reactions: BBrown
Tomlin is really not a good head coach. A man to be respected but just not that good at this particular job.

Just curious Cup: Who were the "better options" for the Steelers at the time they signed Vick?

Yeah. People don't realize they prob got the best available.

Vick just ran for a first down. He hadn't played bad overall tonight.

Just curious Cup: Who were the "better options" for the Steelers at the time they signed Vick?
Is Mark Malone still alive?

If Malone is alive, he is clearly a better choice.

If dead.....probably a toss up.

Last edited:
Why run the wildcat with only 5 seconds left? He almost didn't get in and time expired. At least with a QB sneak, a TO could be called. Obviously that a risky move.

Vick ran well the one time he did. It set up the win. That call by Tomlin on the last play was crazy. Took so much time there was no time left for a tying field goal. Good thing it got in by inches. Painful to see Rivers go down again, no matter how hard he tries, he is doomed on a losing franchise.

Vick ran well the one time he did. It set up the win. That call by Tomlin on the last play was crazy. Took so much time there was no time left for a tying field goal. Good thing it got in by inches. Painful to see Rivers go down again, no matter how hard he tries, he is doomed on a losing franchise.

That call was incredibly stupid. We got away with it.

That call was incredibly stupid. We got away with it.

Yes this ^^^
Absolutely stupid call a foot away from the end zone. Lucky
Vick was awful tonight. SD should be kicking themselves for the three EASY iinterceptions they dropped
Is Landry that bad?
And people wonder why the Steelers sat Bryant with a mild injury. He had no chance of getting a ball .
Steelers got lucky tonight...last week a little unlucky. So I guess it evened out.
Having said that I'd rather have the Division win against Baltimore

Can't stand Rivers. Maybe my least favorite player. The guy is a huge baby. Every turnover is someone else's fault. He sucks.

Yes this ^^^
Absolutely stupid call a foot away from the end zone. Lucky
Vick was awful tonight. SD should be kicking themselves for the three EASY iinterceptions they dropped
Is Landry that bad?
And people wonder why the Steelers sat Bryant with a mild injury. He had no chance of getting a ball .
Steelers got lucky tonight...last week a little unlucky. So I guess it evened out.
Having said that I'd rather have the Division win against Baltimore

Jones is awful. Vick showed on the last drive why he should start over Jones.

There were two dozen+ veteran (not saying terrific) QBs available after last season. The Steelers signed Vick on August 25th. That's a failure of foresight/planning and execution by Steeler management. You can peruse the numerous lists on the web, but here's one:

2015 NFL QB FA signings

There were two dozen+ veteran (not saying terrific) QBs available after last season. The Steelers signed Vick on August 25th. That's a failure of foresight/planning and execution by Steeler management. You can peruse the numerous lists on the web, but here's one:

2015 NFL QB FA signings

LOL!! There is nobody on that list better IMO. Hasslebeck maybe, but that's all.

This is interesting.

@ProFootballTalk: NFL reportedly is declining comment on the 18-second clock error before the Steelers' final drive. #transparency

Apparently Steelers lost 18 seconds after the SD FG.

Alot of those guys were not available when Gradkowski got hurt.

We'll have to agree to disagree, but I enjoy a good debate.

Just happy with the W, because it's looking like the Bengals will be hard to catch for the division, and WC positions have a ton of tiebreakers. Hated that we gave the Ravens their only W of the season thus far.

This is interesting.

@ProFootballTalk: NFL reportedly is declining comment on the 18-second clock error before the Steelers' final drive. #transparency

Apparently Steelers lost 18 seconds after the SD FG.

Yes. They. Did.

WOW -- just rewound the DVR. There was 2:56 to play after the SD FG. The ensuing kickoff went out of the EZ -- but the clock ran anyway! It stopped just as the Steelers lined up for their first offensive play at 2:38.

Shades of OSU @ PSU last season with regard to clock operation...

Yes. They. Did.

WOW -- just rewound the DVR. There was 2:56 to play after the SD FG. The ensuing kickoff went out of the EZ -- but the clock ran anyway! It stopped just as the Steelers lined up for their first offensive play at 2:38.

Shades of OSU @ PSU last season with regard to clock operation...
If true (and I wasn't watching it)....inexcusable on the part of the Refs......but equally so on the part of the 50 staffers on the Steelers sidelines and booth, who apparently didn't notice either.

These NFL (and more and more - even college teams) have more GD guys in sweatshirts along the sidelines with nothing to do......can't Tsunami Barbour hire a few of them to fill some AAAD posts?

Steelers made a smart move signing Vick. His peers love him, he's still fast, and he's a better passer than he's getting credit for on this Board. Moreover, he's a backup. You're not gonna get an Aaron Rodgers when you're offering backup QB money.

It was a horrible signing and a lot of us said it at the time, for me it had nothing to do with his off the field stuff but that he was a horrible QB. He never could pass worth a damn and now he can't run anymore either. If the Steelers had an even avg. QB they would have won by 10 or more last night.
I love Bell but not a fan of the Wildcat. Doesn't there have to be at least a threat of passing in order for the Wildcat to work?
It was a needed win but we need Ben back as soon as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT