ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the world did the Steelers sign Vick?

Just curious Cup: Who were the "better options" for the Steelers at the time they signed Vick?

Thats what a lot of people say but there had to have been someone other than Vick available. Hell they were able to trade for a kicker....well ok not a good example but you get my drift. LOL.

Yes this ^^^
Absolutely stupid call a foot away from the end zone. Lucky
Vick was awful tonight. SD should be kicking themselves for the three EASY iinterceptions they dropped
Is Landry that bad?
And people wonder why the Steelers sat Bryant with a mild injury. He had no chance of getting a ball .
Steelers got lucky tonight...last week a little unlucky. So I guess it evened out.
Having said that I'd rather have the Division win against Baltimore

YES.
and yea we/they were lucky.

Yes this ^^^
Absolutely stupid call a foot away from the end zone. Lucky
Vick was awful tonight. SD should be kicking themselves for the three EASY iinterceptions they dropped
Is Landry that bad?
And people wonder why the Steelers sat Bryant with a mild injury. He had no chance of getting a ball .
Steelers got lucky tonight...last week a little unlucky. So I guess it evened out.
Having said that I'd rather have the Division win against Baltimore
Great call you have the best back in the league!
Landry Jones is horrible!
Vick didnt lose to Baltimore the worst kicker in the NFL did! they should have hired this kid from Rice 3 weeks ago!
Had they, the Steelers would be 4-1 and 2-0 with Vick and everybody would be praising him!

Last edited:
Going into PS Week 4, Vick was by far the best option available.

Only other ones that were available were: Colt McCoy, Ryan Lindey, Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson, Josh Freeman.

None of those guys are good.

As bad as you guys say Vick was last nite...a week previous with a chance to knock out the Ravens for the year, at home, steal a win till Ben gets back, Tomlin TWIVE decides to put it in Vick's hands to win the game on 4th and one!!! The dude had 2 days of first team reps...you have the best back in the league and ONE first down wins it...and you let a 35 yr old qb who wasn't even in the league till August decide the game...Stillers could be sittin at 4-1 right now, instead 3-2 with a very difficult game on Sunday...

Reactions: fasttracker
I don't think people, at least me, are questioning giving the best player the ball (he should have done that last week too) its the Wildcat I think many of us have issues with.

Can't speak for everyone else, but I'm disgusted w/ the call only because they could have run a sneak, then (if it didn't work) called TO & run a play to Bell. Well, that and Tomlin's comment after the game about how he thought he'd be able to use that TO after Bell's run.

I usually reserve complaints about the wildcat for when the team is using a real QB.

Reactions: psu2016 and BBrown
Can't speak for everyone else, but I'm disgusted w/ the call only because they could have run a sneak, then (if it didn't work) called TO & run a play to Bell. Well, that and Tomlin's comment after the game about how he thought he'd be able to use that TO after Bell's run.

I usually reserve complaints about the wildcat for when the team is using a real QB.

There was only 5 sec. left correct?
if that is correct then INMO the only way you have enough time for a TO is a quick pass into the endzone and even then I'm not sure.

Nobody plays perfect. Nobody coaches perfect. They just beat San Diego on the road with a backup QB and people are still complaining. They had a lot of chances to win that Ravens game unrelated to those two fourth down play calls.... the second of which would have worked of Vick wasn't so far off target.

I look at the other side..... I thought the defense would be horrible, and it's been OK, creating some pressure and getting some turnovers. No name DBs. I give the coaches credit for that.

I coached for a ton of years...not football...if I am going down I am going down giving the ball to my best player. Not some kid who came out for the team a week ago, or a 35 yr old relic. I at least give it to my BEST PLAYER ONCE to try and win the game. How hard is it for Tomlin to tell Haley...RUN BELL AND WIN THIS THING!!! Especially since Haley isn't the one at the pot-game presser taking all the heat..This is not a forgivable mistake but a huge error that a coach with a Super Bowl win and 8 yrs(?) at the job makes...

I cant believe they WON and guys are still bitchin! IT WORKED! LETS MOVE ON!
I would have 1/2 expected, with 5 seconds left, that Tomlin would have "played it safe" and just kicked the FG to tie it up rather than "risk" running a play.

May not have been the EXACT play I would have chosen, but that's to be expected. Hard to argue with the concept of giving the ball to your best offensive option (and maybe the top RB option in the entire league) and banking on him being able to move the ball forward 1 yard behind a fairly good offensive line.

I actually thought it was one of the best coaching decisions Tomlin has made in a long while. Certainly a heck of a lot better decision than the half dozen FUBARS in the game against the Ravens.

On the 72yd TD. If Weeden hadn't beat his man so badly it would have been an incompletion. Weeden was on a post down the left sideline and Vick threw the ball to the left hash mark. Weeden made an exceptional adjustment at full speed to make the catch, and if the safety hadn't stumbled Weeden never scores... now had Vick been able to throw the damned ball in front of Weeden down the sideline Weeden could have walked into the endzone. Against a more experienced secondary that ball is either not caught or worse is an INT.

We were damn lucky to win that game. Sickening.

bjf......"Hard to argue with the concept of giving the ball to your best offensive option (and maybe the top RB option in the entire league) and banking on him being able to move the ball forward 1 yard behind a fairly good offensive line."

Unfortunately Tomlin for whatever reason did not have that same mindset at home vs. the Ravens. Pittsburgh would be sitting pretty good right now...

His poor play will end up getting Bell hurt from overuse.

His career stats are staggeringly bad. He won't be competitive against any team with a pulse. There were better options when he was signed.

Not saying the defense or some unforeseen break could manufacture a win, but it will have nothing to do with Vick -- more so despite him.
"His career stats are staggeringly bad".
Really?
No one will argue he is a great QB.
But let's see, his lifetime QB passing rating is 80.5. (This year it's 85.8). Eli Manning's lifetime is 83.0. Joe Flacco's is 84.6. He is a four time Pro Bowler.
But Manning and Flacco can't run like Vick who has gained 6,602 yards with a 7.0 average per attempt. He gives you an extra running back with well over 500 yards per year.
So one could argue he's competitive with those two overall.
(Of course, he is not Ben R. with his 94.6 lifetime rating, so the fall-off is bad.)

Last edited:
His poor play will end up getting Bell hurt from overuse.

His career stats are staggeringly bad. He won't be competitive against any team with a pulse. There were better options when he was signed.

Not saying the defense or some unforeseen break could manufacture a win, but it will have nothing to do with Vick -- more so despite him.

get serious, running backs love all the carries they can get. Vick must not lose games; it is not necessary for him to win games. Game management is essential.

"His career stats are staggeringly bad".
Really?
No one will argue he is a great QB.
But let's see, his lifetime QB passing rating is 80.5. (This year it's 85.8). Eli Manning's lifetime is 83.0. Joe Flacco's is 84.6. He is a four time Pro Bowler.
But Manning and Flacco can't run like Vick who has gained 6,602 yards with a 7.0 average per attempt. He gives you an extra running back with well over 500 yards per year.
So one could argue he's competitive with those two overall.
(Of course, he is not Ben R. with his 94.6 lifetime rating, so the fall-off is bad.)

He has lost all his speed. Those "stats" are ok but I think they are a little "dated" or at least skewed. What were his last few years with the Jets like?
And if you are asking me which QB I'm taking Eli, Joe F or Vick...Vick would be 5th on the list.

I still haven't seen anyone say who they should have signed instead of Vick. Gradkowski got hurt and they needed a viable backup right away and apparently felt he was the best option available. A better question is why they keep Landry Jones if they don't consider him a viable backup QB. This is about his 3rd year. He gets the bulk of the playing time in the preseason and the team hardly ever scores with him at the helm. He's horrible.

Reactions: OKC Nittany
I still haven't seen anyone say who they should have signed instead of Vick. Gradkowski got hurt and they needed a viable backup right away and apparently felt he was the best option available. A better question is why they keep Landry Jones if they don't consider him a viable backup QB. This is about his 3rd year. He gets the bulk of the playing time in the preseason and the team hardly ever scores with him at the helm. He's horrible.

Someone will argue they should have signed Jason Campbell, Josh Johnson, or Matt Flynn who all are better then Vick, or should have traded for Blaine Gabbert. I mean, out of anyone available when Vick signed, he was a mile better then anyone and is a mile better then Jones.

I wanted to add, here is Rivers quote after the game..

Rivers- "It was like playing on the road"

Do the Steelers have the largest fan base in American Sports?

Could not agree more - especially on Jones.

Vick is now 7-14 in his last 21 starts & I'm still not convinced they could have done any better. Of course I never did learn how severe Gradkowski's injury was - I know they put him on IR, but if the injury wasn't really a season ender, I'd have preferred cutting Jones, signing Vick & going w/ 2 until Gradkowski came back. Then again, any scenario where Jones gets cut would be an improvement. (same goes for will allen)

Could not agree more - especially on Jones.

Vick is now 7-14 in his last 21 starts & I'm still not convinced they could have done any better. Of course I never did learn how severe Gradkowski's injury was - I know they put him on IR, but if the injury wasn't really a season ender, I'd have preferred cutting Jones, signing Vick & going w/ 2 until Gradkowski came back. Then again, any scenario where Jones gets cut would be an improvement. (same goes for will allen)

If they knew the situation was that bad could they have traded for someone?
Part of the problem with Vick is he's a lefty and a lot of the offense had to be "adjusted" for that. I heard a former NFL QB on the radio (cant remember who now) said that that is a bigger
adjustment than a lot of people think it is.
Bottom line if they had gotten rid of Landry Jones at the end of last season.

Re: 18 lost seconds...

...there is no question the clock operater let the clock run after the kickoff... illegally...

BUT...isn't the OFFICIAL time kept on the field??? And why won't league
office comment on their goof???...

I don't know about Jones.. I really wouldn't be upset if they dumped him, but part of me wants to see him with the first teamers. He hasn't played much or at all with their first team O-Line, Brown, Bell, Miller, etc..

He has stunk, but at times has shown some talent, so I wouldn't mind if they gave him a chance with the first team.

ADVERTISEMENT