ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the f*ck would you go into the ocean, on a surfboard, & look like a floating seal to a shark

It’s just surfing. What could go wrong? ;)

iu

iu

Narrator after talking to shark experts off the coast of Cape Cod: YOU are gambling EVERT TIME you go in the water! -Tonight on Shark Week! LOL!!

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
While certainly not impossible, 20 footers are pretty rare. Fear and the 33% water magnification factor probably had some input into his size estimate. Granted I've never been in the water in Hawaii, but all my excursions into the water in Florida the biggest shark I've ever seen is a 12 foot tiger....

Talked to my brother after posting here. He was at Maili point and saw a 3 or 4 foot dorsal fin. Didn't actually see the full shark. He may have been right.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSU87
Talked to my brother after posting here. He was at Maili point and saw a 3 or 4 foot dorsal fin. Didn't actually see the full shark. He may have been right.
No water magnification factor for a dorsal out of the water, so sounds legit. 20 footers being rare, maybe a few times in a lifetime opportunity.
In a boat I'd be thrilled. On a surfboard I'd be scared out of my mind.

Was in the ocean again this am at sunrise. Looked up and down the beach and saw 4 people and 3 dogs. No shark attacks though. Even Pippet made it out alive.

Reactions: PSU87
Was in the ocean again this am at sunrise. Looked up and down the beach and saw 4 people and 3 dogs. No shark attacks though. Even Pippet made it out alive.

Sounds like there might have been a missing dog!! :eek::eek::eek: :D

I found this from a few years ago. One of the few times I watched the local news. Weird how these guys wanted nothing to do w/ Miami, but were all up here. Looking for food. But not human food.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
I am a scuba diver and have been on several dives with sharks. I have been on two shark feeding dives- one in the Caribbean and one in the Gulf of Mexico. Had an 8 foot bull shark about 12 feet below me on the way up. No problems. Loved it!

There is research that contradicts the earlier premise that sharks hone in on surfboards because they resemble a seal or other creature. As someone replied, sharks are attracted to noise and vibrations and do not rely on their eyesight. That is the reason that new research questions that old theory that surfers sitting or laying on their board look like seals to sharks. Nothing is conclusive- surfers laying on their boards may indeed look like a seal to sharks, but we do know that sharks rely on their senses of smell and sound (vibration). Someone mentioned wet suit color as well and there is skepticism about whether black wet suits are more attractive to sharks.Once again- goes back to their reliance on sound and smell rather than eyesight.

I know this much- I feel much safer under the water than I do splashing around on the surface. I have been face to face with sharks and they could care less about me.
Tagging on, I would think that sound vibration through the wood? in the surf boards would be easily detected by the sharks? That is in addition to the splashing of course.

Tiger shark. No cage. No problem. Sharks aren’t these killers everyone thinks
Tiger sharks are considered man eaters. I watched a documentary about shark attacks in Hawaii. Two men were fishing off their Kayaks when one man went missing. His friend paddled over to see his friend floating by the kayak. When he tried to pull his friend out of the water one leg was bitten off at the thigh and the other leg was bitten off below the knee. The shark that attacked was an 11ft Tiger shark.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TheGLOV and psu00
Let's just call it human error!
Here is the most famous big wave surfer in the world talking about his biggest brushes with death, such as being pushed down so far that the ocean was black. (1:28) Sharks would just be a nuisance to him.

Tiger sharks are considered man eaters. I watched a documentary about shark attacks in Hawaii. Two men were fishing off their Kayaks when one man went missing. His friend paddled over to see his friend floating by the kayak. When he tried to pull his friend out of the water one leg was bitten off at the thigh and the other leg was bitten off below the knee. The shark that attacked was an 11ft Tiger shark.

yeah tiger sharks are VERY curious. Unfortunately they dont have hands to investigate. But if they truly were man eaters that would have fished the guy off. Not bit him and went on their way

They ARE killers!

And don't you forget it!!

yeah tiger sharks are VERY curious. Unfortunately they dont have hands to investigate. But if they truly were man eaters that would have fished the guy off. Not bit him and went on their way

Well, they often do attack and then back off allowing their prey to bleed out and weaken before coming back to finish them off.

That said, if the guy lost both legs, 1 at the thigh and 1 below the knee, I’m assuming he bled out and died before they got him any help (?).

Either way, whether you call the shark ‘curious’ or ‘man eater’ doesn’t really matter given the result. ;)

Last edited:
Well, they often do attack and then back off allowing their prey to bleed out and weaken before coming back to finish them off.

That said, if the guy lost both legs, 1 at the thigh and 1 below the knee, I’m assuming he bled out and died before they got him any help (?).

Either way, whether you call the shark ‘curious’ or ‘man eater’ doesn’t really matter given the result. ;)
Yes, he was dead before his friend got to him. He had one of those life preserver vests on and was floating in the water. Somehow his friend was able to pull him out of the water and onto the kayak. I was shocked to see how far they went out. I’m not kidding when I say they were at least a 1/4 mile out. This is what I think happened. The victim made himself comfortable by hanging his legs over the side, threw his line in the water and began fishing. The shark came up grabbed him and pulled him over and into the water ripping the first leg off below the knee and grabbed the other leg around the thigh. A gruesome way to die.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT