ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the f*ck would you go into the ocean, on a surfboard, & look like a floating seal to a shark

It is a bit comical. US averages 16 attacks per year, most of them minor, and 0.5 fatalities per year out of millions of people in the water. It's hardly a reason to avoid getting in the water. If your risk tolerance is that low.....
I was out about 50 yards for 20 minutes or so at Dog Beach last week and something brushed me pretty good. It was turquoise, but choppy so I didn't get a good look. Didn't give it much of a thought after that.

When I see these maps on reported shark attacks, I’m shocked at how few (almost none!) are reported in Asia, Africa, Europe and South America.

2019-
0001-768x439.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
They do a lot of surfing in those waters do they? I would guess that where hippos live the number of people that are killed are way under reported. How many people are killed in the US in car accidents, accidents in the home, etc. This thread is beyond ridiculous, but quite entertaining. :p:D:rolleyes:o_O

Wrong!

It is informative.

Please dawn a wet suit and splash around a while @ New Smyrna Beach Florida.

Don't forget to leave a copy of your update 'will' on the kitchen table.

The sharks are going to think that YOU are ridiculous but quite entertaining and tasteful!

BWAHAHAHAHAH!

:)

They do a lot of surfing in those waters do they? I would guess that where hippos live the number of people that are killed are way under reported. How many people are killed in the US in car accidents, accidents in the home, etc. This thread is beyond ridiculous, but quite entertaining. :p:D:rolleyes:o_O

Did you lose something back in 2001?

Nice to see you can still type on your computer!

102868823_1665949433559034_2623330305982172341_n.jpg

While certainly not impossible, 20 footers are pretty rare. Fear and the 33% water magnification factor probably had some input into his size estimate. Granted I've never been in the water in Hawaii, but all my excursions into the water in Florida the biggest shark I've ever seen is a 12 foot tiger....
My brother has done big wave surfing at Mavericks in No. Calif and Pt. Concepcion in Central Calif. Undoubtedly has seen his share of sharks. Still possible that he unintentionally exaggerated. However, whatever he saw was big.

On a separate note today, my 19-year-old son came back from a white water rafting trip in W. Va and had a nasty spill in high rapids where he was about 20 yards away from being sucked into an underwater cave which would have been really bad.

There are risks to very many things.

Made it up to the ocean (broken back and all) early today. Beautiful sunrise. Saw two bikini model photo shoots (which isn't uncommon at Marcinski). Got my little swim/wade in. Makes me feel better for some reason (the bikini shoots, not necessarily the swim - for the record)....

Reactions: PSU87 and TheGLOV
Made it up to the ocean (broken back and all) early today. Beautiful sunrise. Saw two bikini model photo shoots (which isn't uncommon at Marcinski). Got my little swim/wade in. Makes me feel better for some reason (the bikini shoots, not necessarily the swim - for the record)....
Flag!

Surfer in Cape Cod had his leg bitten and severed at the knee on Saturday.
Dr. gave him a HALF OFF special.
Lawyer told him he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Half off! Do you get it? Half off.

Shark feeding does contribute to loss of limbs on humans when they get attacked my sharks.

They're being conditioned.

Nice!

:eek::confused::eek:

The sharks we were feeding are pelagic sharks that don't come close to shore. Blues, makos, 20 miles offshore.

And, if two sharks, were swimming off shore and decided to 'hug' the coast line, who would arrive first:

The Mako Shark

Or the Tiger shark

Or should I say:

Who would tear-off a human limb first??

:)

Tonight is the start of Shark Week!! I’m sure they will have the answer.

Air Jaws at 8. A nonsense Mike Tyson vs shark show at 9. Then getting in a self propelled cage with huge great white sharks off New Zealand at 10pm.

Reactions: BBrown and TheGLOV
The speedy makos, if they show up (did yesterday), are a concern with the topless cage... good leapers.

They are more shy than the inquisitive and more sluggish blues.

I wish I knew how to post pics and video...

When I see these maps on reported shark attacks, I’m shocked at how few (almost none!) are reported in Asia, Africa, Europe and South America.

2019-
0001-768x439.jpg
Just wait til after the election and that map will look totally different.

The speedy makos, if they show up (did yesterday), are a concern with the topless cage... good leapers.

They are more shy than the inquisitive and more sluggish blues.

I wish I knew how to post pics and video...

My brother has done big wave surfing at Mavericks in No. Calif and Pt. Concepcion in Central Calif. Undoubtedly has seen his share of sharks. Still possible that he unintentionally exaggerated. However, whatever he saw was big.

On a separate note today, my 19-year-old son came back from a white water rafting trip in W. Va and had a nasty spill in high rapids where he was about 20 yards away from being sucked into an underwater cave which would have been really bad.

There are risks to very many things.
Was it the New River Gorge or the Gauley? In the fall, when they release the dam, the Gauley has top 5-10 rated whitewater, worldwide. Done it a couple of times, and yes, there are some scary rapids along the river.

Was it the New River Gorge or the Gauley? In the fall, when they release the dam, the Gauley has top 5-10 rated whitewater, worldwide. Done it a couple of times, and yes, there are some scary rapids along the river.
It was New River. Son did mention that there is much more water in fall-- didn't understand why. Now I know.

On a side note, there was a Hawk's Nest Tunnel drilled under the Gauley River, which caused 100s of industrial employee deaths due to silicosis in the 1930s. It was a very famous industrial disaster.

A 60 Minutes feature about great whites talked about black scuba and surfing body suits confuse sharks into thinking you might be a seal. I would definitely suggest using surfboards and body suits that are white or bright colors.

that will make it worse. sharks are attracted to the contrast in color. a yellow or white suit with a leg hanging off a surf board is an immediate test bite.

Amen. In 2019 1 person in the US died from a shark attack while 290 died in swimming pools. We should close all of the pools in the US to make GLOV happy. LOL. :D

Go swimming at New Smyrna Beach sir. At dusk. Wear a wet-suit with flippers.

Don't forget your boogey-board. Nice and oval like.

Stick your arms out the side. Splash around a little with those arms.

Get those flippers moving in the water as well.

I want to increase the number by 1.

:D

Stats...probabilities...

If you're stranded out in the ocean, keep telling yourself "you're more likely to get struck by lightning".

Blue sharks are thick out there. They'll find you, and they're very inquisitive, as I observed again in the floating shark cage last week. One bite (hope not!) and you're a magnet. And won't show up in the statistics as a "shark attack".

I've been SCUBA diving to as deep as 126' many times off of Ocean City... was almost never afraid of sharks... but swimming at the surface in those same spots? Not for me.

Stats...probabilities...

If you're stranded out in the ocean, keep telling yourself "you're more likely to get struck by lightning".

Blue sharks are thick out there. They'll find you, and they're very inquisitive, as I observed again in the floating shark cage last week. One bite (hope not!) and you're a magnet. And won't show up in the statistics as a "shark attack".

I've been SCUBA diving to as deep as 126' many times off of Ocean City... was almost never afraid of sharks... but swimming at the surface in those same spots? Not for me.

We;; said sir.

Let it be a word to the wise!

JAWS 1

Stupid swimmer on surface looking like a floating seal 0

:):D:)

Reactions: psu00
Stats...probabilities...

So the people that are counted as "stranded at sea" that are actually eaten by sharks are wildly skewing the shark attack statistics?

So the people that are counted as "stranded at sea" that are actually eaten by sharks are wildly skewing the shark attack statistics?

No one knows how many "lost at sea" fatalities were actually shark attacks.
Problem in our data set before we even start doing stats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT