ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Carter try to Continue Playing in Today's Peach Bowl?

LionFan87b

Jun 15, 2001
He was clearly on a gimpy ankle for several plays before coming out. Why would he attempt that if today's game was just a "meaningless scrimmage" as some have called it?

Reactions: b&w1987 and hoflane
He was clearly on a gimpy ankle for several plays before coming out. Why would he attempt that if today's game was just a "meaningless scrimmage" as some have called it?
Do you understand the psychology of a 20 year old athlete? They'd play any one in anything from chess to MMA.
So any of you realize how hard a decision to opt out for a kid is?
On one hand they want to compete with their brothers on the other hand they want to use the logic of a forthcoming financial windfall for their family and future.
What's more important, the future welfare of your family or a single football that produces no type of championship?
Serious question?
Family future or single regular sports game?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Do you understand the psychology of a 20 year old athlete? They'd play any one in anything from chess to MMA.
On one hand they want to compete with their brothers on the other hand they want to use the logic of a forthcoming financial windfall for their family and future.
What's more important, the future welfare of your family or a single football that produces no type of championship?
Serious question?
Whoa, cowboy!! You're confusing this with a different thread. Nothing in this thread has anything to do with opting out.

Back to the subject at hand: do you think Carter would have continued playing if this had been the Blue White game? Would the coaches have let him continue?

Reactions: hoflane
Serious question?
Most guys outing out will likely never make generational money for their families. It is just a lie they are told by agents.

Whoa, cowboy!! You're confusing this with a different thread. Nothing in this thread has anything to do with opting out.

Back to the subject at hand: do you think Carter would have continued playing if this had been the Blue White game? Would the coaches have let him continue?
The point I'm trying to make is they all want to play all the time. You don't make it to place like the Penn State football team without being a very high level competitor. Ie. You want to compete whether it's an injury or opportunity. Every kid on the Penn State team was at a minimum one of the best players in their entire geographic region before coming to Penn State, you can't be that guy without being a great competitor. A great competitor would give it a go on a broken leg until the broken leg wins.
bTW he only played like one series after the injury. He gave it a go and it didn't work. Rojas went the rest of the way.

Last edited:
The point I'm trying to make is they all want to play all the time. You don't make it to place like the Penn State football team without being a very high level competitor. Ie. You want to compete whether it's an injury or opportunity. Every kid on the Penn State team was at a minimum one of the best players in their entire geographic region before coming to Penn State, you can't be that guy without being a great competitor. A great competitor would give it a go on a broken leg until the broken leg wins.
bTW he only played like one series after the injury. He gave it a go and it didn't work. Rojas went the rest of the way.
I agree with all of the above. That said, would Carter have continued if it had been the Blue White game? Would the staff have let him continue?

Most guys outing out will likely never make generational money for their families. It is just a lie they are told by agents.

If a player gets drafted, he's going to make enough to pay off a house or at least secure the immediate future.

Our opt outs have grades of:

R1
R1
R1-3
R1-4

That's generational money if you aren't blowing it on fast cars and jewelry.

Reactions: bison13 and #1PSU
If a player gets drafted, he's going to make enough to pay off a house or at least secure the immediate future.

R1
R1
R1-3
R1-4

Late 4th round picks generally get 800-950k in a signing bonus. That is life altering money for almost everyone that gets drafted.

Reactions: lazydave841
He had a sore ankle. There is no way to know how well he could play until he tried it out. He was in for one series and then realized that he couldn't go. With a sore ankle sometimes after a few reps it feels better and you can play well.

R1
R1
R1-3
R1-4

So if you look at a third or fourth round guy that lasts the normal 3 years. He earns about $4M in his career so with the agent/manager cut taken out you gross about$3.8M. You got another $1.5M in taxes. So in the end he earns about$2.3M which is nothing to sneeze at but you aren't not working after playing.

Reactions: Ski
So if you look at a third or fourth round guy that lasts the normal 3 years. He earns about $4M in his career so with the agent/manager cut taken out you gross about$3.8M. You got another $1.5M in taxes. So in the end he earns about$2.3M which is nothing to sneeze at but you aren't not working after playing.
You also don't need to be making 6 figures after your done playing with that contract. You're set.
The average AMerican makes about 55k a year. He's 20 years ahead

You also don't need to be making 6 figures after your done playing with that contract. You're set.
I'm not dating I wouldn't want his advantage. I'm just saying he hasn't assured the wealth of his great grandchildren. Very few players make generational money just like very few CFB players even make the NFL.

This doesn't take into account the life change of the immediate infusion of a large amount of capital to a family that may have been living paycheck to paycheck for generations.
Also, an NFL practice squad player averages a pay of 18,000 per week. It's also a gateway to coaching if your wired that way. Let's face it most of the great coaches were average or less players.
So would you rather be on a practice squad for roughly $400,000 for say 24 weeks of practice squad between camp and season or would you rather work at KPMG downtown for a starting salary of 75k?

I'm not dating I wouldn't want his advantage. I'm just saying he hasn't assured the wealth of his great grandchildren. Very few players make generational money just like very few CFB players even make the NFL.
the truth is that the vast majority are out within 3 or 4 years, and while they have earned a lot in those years, they are not going to be financially independent

Serious question?
It's extremely rare that players get injured and screw up their NFL chances by playing in bowl games.

Maybe a few should have opted out after the Michigan game since there was no chance at a championship.

the truth is that the vast majority are out within 3 or 4 years, and while they have earned a lot in those years, they are not going to be financially independent
I'll call bull on that.
Parker Washington signed a four year contract worth $4,032,264 with the Jaguars as a 6th round pick.
That's a life changing amount being drafted near the end of the draft.
The minimum NFL salary is 700k. Not many are getting the minimum. Maybe an undrafted rookie or two that make the team.

He had a sore ankle. There is no way to know how well he could play until he tried it out. He was in for one series and then realized that he couldn't go. With a sore ankle sometimes after a few reps it feels better and you can play well.
Yes, but why bother if the game is a meaningless scrimmage? If this had been the Blue White game would they have had him out there? Or does this suggest that bowl participants see more meaning in the bowls than some of the posters here do?

I don't think our opt outs were led to opt out because an agent whispered something about generational money.

They opted out to protect their spots, whether that means 1st round or 4th round. I'm not telling you that you have to like it. I'm not saying that I necessarily do.

However, if you could sit out an event and possibly double or triple your income over the next 3-5 years, I have a hard time believing you wouldn't.

I'll call bull on that.
Parker Washington signed a four year contract worth $4,032,264 with the Jaguars as a 6th round pick.
That's a life changing amount being drafted near the end of the draft.
The minimum NFL salary is 700k. Not many are getting the minimum. Maybe an undrafted rookie or two that make the team.
of which only about 50,000 per year is guaranteed. every year that he stays on a team is a windfall. if he makes it through those four years and gets another contract then he is set. most do not. minor role players are often bouncing around practice squads by year 3 and then out of the league

Perhaps he is a football player…appreciated he tried to play…need a few more like him…

Perhaps he is a football player…appreciated he tried to play…need a few more like him…
he was literally walking towards the offense because he couldn't run. not sure how that was helping. i believe ole miss scored on that possession too

Why in the f&%k did the coaches not take him out. We were playing 10 against 11 for most of that drive. Put Rojas in and we make a few of those tackles.

Reactions: psuno1
Yes, but why bother if the game is a meaningless scrimmage? If this had been the Blue White game would they have had him out there? Or does this suggest that bowl participants see more meaning in the bowls than some of the posters here do?
I completely understand your point. It’s clear that no one else seems to. Basically, you’re saying that the game was anything but meaningless.

Reactions: LionFan87b
I completely understand your point. It’s clear that no one else seems to. Basically, you’re saying that the game was anything but meaningless.
You are correct! Lesson learned: the subject line needs to stand on its own, because people don't read the actual post.

Franklin should have held him out after that--I don't blame Carter
Franklin took him out after it was clear he couldn’t play. I don’t have a problem with letting him give it a go if the medical staff says he doesn’t have a serious injury and the kid wants to give it a try.

Franklin took him out after it was clear he couldn’t play. I don’t have a problem with letting him give it a go if the medical staff says he doesn’t have a serious injury and the kid wants to give it a try.
Isn't his job to prevent the kid from giving it a shot in that type of game knowing it could make the injury worse?
The players shouldn't be making those decisions.

I heard that he’s been hurt all year and tuoghing it out. He was simply not effective after he came back in the second half yesterday

Serious question?
All he asked is why he continued to play hurt lol.

Reactions: LionFan87b
Not after you buy Mama a house and some nice bling and a new ride. There is a reason so many pros are bankrupt 3-5 years after their NFL career is over. They aren't rocket surgeons.

Not after you buy Mama a house and some nice bling and a new ride. There is a reason so many pros are bankrupt 3-5 years after their NFL career is over. They aren't rocket surgeons.
True but then mama has a house that has value and the bling should still have value.
They still had the opportunity--screwing it up doesn't alter that opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT