ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Bowens transfer to OU, given that a 5 star

Reactions: BBrown and N&B4PSU
I studied the same thing today. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, especially in Okie-homa.

Bowens probably allows PSU to beat Iowa.

Something is amiss in PSU’s QB hierarchy and it smells of Franklin.

Considering he got beat out for 3rd string QB at OU by a walk on, it's unlikely he unseats TR for qb2 here.

Both are dual threat QBs. There is a reason one stayed and one left. Your comment is just a ill natured shot.

Considering he got beat out for 3rd string QB at OU by a walk on, it's unlikely he unseats TR for qb2 here.

Both are dual threat QBs. There is a reason one stayed and one left. Your comment is just a ill natured shot.
Exactly. The idea that CJF doesn’t play the best QB, thus directly going against his goal of winning games and a championship, is idiotic.

Exactly. The idea that CJF doesn’t play the best QB, thus directly going against his goal of winning games and a championship, is idiotic.
Franklin is nothing other than a “shiny object chaser”

I have many pieces of evidence. I’ll start with Kirk Ciarocco (not to be confused with Paul Cianciola. These chia pets are so interchangeable) Minnesota once beat PSU, so their OC must have been great until he wasn’t.

Exit Kirk …Enter Mike….a new, yet long coveted and shiny object who got effectively fired from Texas.

PSU’s problems at QB, complete with the revolving door of OC’s, starts and ends with none other CJF.

Last edited:

I have many pieces of evidence. I’ll start with Paul Cianciola. Minnesota once beat PSU, so their OC must have been great.

Who the f@$* is Paul Ciancolla? If that’s your piece of evidence, this perp is getting off scot free!

Wait, he might be onto something...

college-football-penn-state-qb-paul-cianciolo-in-action-vs-michigan-picture-id83832443

I have many pieces of evidence. I’ll start with Kirk Ciarocco (not to be confused with Paul Cianciola. These chia pets are so interchangeable) Minnesota once beat PSU, so their OC must have been great until he wasn’t.

Exit Kirk …Enter Mike….a new, yet long coveted and shiny object who got effectively fired from Texas.

PSU’s problems at QB, complete with the revolving door of OC’s, starts and ends with none other CJF.

Bad take.

Do I think the KC hire was a good one? Probably not the best he could have done (JF supposedly wanted Yurcuch), but I think he could have done well if not for could.

The fact that Yurcich was picked up less than a week after Herman got fired from Texas says a lot. Does it happen if our 0-5 start had instead been 3-2?

Probably not.

As for revolving door of OCs, Moorhead left to be an sec head coach. JF couldn't give him that kind of money.

Rahne left to be HC as well. Lesser profile job, but many here didn't like his promotion and wanted him gone.

Missing out on the QBs hurts. We apparently aren't doing bad though. Our guys start at other schools when they leave. And we've kept the right ones in those cases thus far. We just have not landed a Fields or Williams who transcend the position.

Suck it BW!

Reactions: lockhavenlion3

Franklin has loyalty to the coaches who add something to Penn State. He and Pry go all the way back to Vandy. Terry Smith is another Day 1 assistant who’s been promoted in his tenure. Sean Spencer could have stayed on for as long as he wanted, as is the case now for guys like Seider and Howle.

Franklin hasn’t had that same success at the OC position, save for Moorhead. Donovan sucked. Rahne was average, at best. Ciarocca sucked. Ever think there’s a reason he’s chasing “shiny new objects?” Yurcich’s offense has looked pretty good and he’s finally getting the most out of Clifford.

I studied the same thing today. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, especially in Okie-homa.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Loll, Franklin and Yurcich are getting the absolute max potential out of Clifford this year, we have a borderline 5-star qb and 4 star qb coming in next year, 2 of our 3 past OCs have left for head coaching jobs, and yet I just read the above. How many people agonized over Franklin staying in house with Donovan and Rahne as opposed to hiring someone outside? And now that Franklin hired OCs such as Moorhead and Yurcich (which is what people wanted) and would be 6-0 and ranked #2 with him if Clifford doesn't get hurt, he's a shiny object chaser? And oh, what happened at Texas isn't on Yurcich considering Texas under Herman was on a downhill slide since 2018, well before Yurcich got there.

And I'm pretty sure no one (other than you) confused Kirk Ciarrocca with Paul Cianciolo.

Why is our fanbase filled with muppets like this.

This would probably be a good time for you to step away from the keyboard. Each post is taking it to a new level of dumb............unless of course that was your intent? And if so, congratulations, you nailed it!

This would probably be a good time for you to step away from the keyboard. Each post is taking it to a new level of dumb............unless of course that was your intent? And if so, congratulations, you nailed it!
I do not know anything about this "shiney Object claim" but we are averaging 20 points a game in Big Ten play. That is not enough. If the offense does not improve - no matter the QB - we are in trouble. The real problem is that we cannot run the ball which makes passing harder.

Reactions: Sooner Lion

Bowen’s would not have made a difference vs Iowa. He was behind TR for a reason.

The only shiny object chasers are posters who think every player on the bench or who transferred would have been better than the ones playing

Bowen’s would not have made a difference vs Iowa. He was behind TR for a reason.
He was behind TR because the coaches suck! They always pick the wrong QB (to say nothing of players at every single position) I mean they see nothing (apparently) in countless hours of practice. Frankly, it's a shit show. I'm convinced after reading the posts here (almost daily) that playing time is likely determined on coin flips done during staff meetings. How else can you explain the very best players (difference makers) leaving?
Yet, James Franklin seems to be the favorite for every coaching opening in the nation? How bad it must be everywhere else? LOL fanboys....

Reactions: colby57
Bowens was always an odd fit to me. A kid comes the whole way across the country from a popular and national powerhouse program? Why? Being a medium 3 star probably stats out as him coming to Penn State and making a difference were very low at best. As for PSU, did we miss out on a qb that cycle and just took Bowens.

As for where he went.....I guess he wanted 2 years of development so he could transfer somewhere to actually play because he is never going to see the field at OU.

That is a horrible example. He tried to get MY several times, to include before hiring Kirk. Last year sucked and MY was available. He went and got the guy he has wanted.

Try again.

Reactions: BBrown
Franklin should have played Devlin.
I think that our coaches should soon learn that the biggest obstacle to winning every game is that PSU opponents are employing gifted coaching staffs and division one skilled athletes that are scheming and training in an effort to defeat PSU in every contest!

I don't think Kirk Ciarocco sucked, he has been successful at other places and he didn't have in-person spring / summer ball due to the pandemic which I think is a huge pain point and he was prob #2 and #3 on Franklin's list and #1 (Yurcich) luckily became available the following year. If Herman wasn't fired, Yurcich would still be the OC at Texas.

I think Franklin has to shoulder the blame for not having a capable backup ready to step in for Clifford @ Iowa. That was inexcusable.

Wait until Saturday. Franklin’s full failure will be on display then. PSU will still win, because Illinois is putrid, but it’s gonna be a major league pillow fight.

He was behind TR because the coaches suck! They always pick the wrong QB (to say nothing of players at every single position) I mean they see nothing (apparently) in countless hours of practice. Frankly, it's a shit show. I'm convinced after reading the posts here (almost daily) that playing time is likely determined on coin flips done during staff meetings. How else can you explain the very best players (difference makers) leaving?
Yet, James Franklin seems to be the favorite for every coaching opening in the nation? How bad it must be everywhere else? LOL fanboys....
Couldn’t agree more. Franklin is so bad that he is always mentioned for every top job that comes up. Wonder why that is. I guess no one knows that he really sucks like some on here do. Actually everyone not named Saban or maybe Dabo kind of sucks. I also find it a little depressing that the first thought is Franklin leaving PSU for somewhere else better. Guess lots of people don’t see PSU as the be all end all that we do.

Reactions: marshall23
I don't think Kirk Ciarocco sucked, he has been successful at other places and he didn't have in-person spring / summer ball due to the pandemic which I think is a huge pain point and he was prob #2 and #3 on Franklin's list and #1 (Yurcich) luckily became available the following year. If Herman wasn't fired, Yurcich would still be the OC at Texas.
Agreed on this...Rock looks to me like a film nerd and when the contact went down the QB's had no chance.

MY came at the right time, he is a fiery guy that thrives on human contact and it is just what Cliff needed.

Agreed on this...Rock looks to me like a film nerd and when the contact went down the QB's had no chance.

KC probably would have struggled with our RB situation as well. In theory, normal years, he would have had JB and NC last year. This year, trying to run his offense with our RBs would have been misery. Watch Minnesota when they can't run.

MY also seems to be a better recruiter, but it's hard to judge KC as he was here for a very messed up 12 month period WRT everything program wise.

It's simple. He lost competition with Roberson and did not want someone in same class ahead of him. He made a poor choice of transfer school though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT