ADVERTISEMENT

SMU players sitting out to keep eligibility...

Going to see a lot more of this in the years to come

I think this could self-correct if such players lose their current scholarships or lose current NIL money by violating those legal terms. What these kids do not understand is that regardless of what anybody tells them very few make it to the NFL and an even smaller number play in the NFL for more than a few years. For the most part they’re only earning potential for football will in fact be in college through NIL money.

I think this could self-correct if such players lose their current scholarships or lose current NIL money by violating those legal terms. What these kids do not understand is that regardless of what anybody tells them very few make it to the NFL and an even smaller number play in the NFL for more than a few years. For the most part they’re only earning potential for football will in fact be in college through NIL money.
You can not contractually control NIL money based on participation, performance, grades, etc.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Time to ditch the ncaa and start over the screwed the pooch for years

Good coaches use the portal judiciously. Tucker and Harsin with 18 transfers each on their two deep will serve as a cautionary tale. Character matters.
That's also how Tucker landed his extension though
Harsin just isn't a good coach
I do agree some coaches overuse the portal but I don't see that ending

Yeah, for sure. There's going to be ups and downs with that approach. Is that good enough for Michigan State?

JF produced 3-11 win seasons in 4 years for his contract, albeit they gave it to him later. Many here were upset.

Tucker has 1-11 win season and a handful of losing seasons and he gets his contract. The same upset people seemed okay with Tucker getting it.

Personally, I think Saban, Buckeyes, Clemson and now Georgia have created high expectations everywhere. Ones that aren't achievable on a yearly basis.

Tucker has the same problems this year that he had last year, but he doesn't have Walker to rely on. If the money he got is the going rate, fine. But 1 good season doesn't make a coach. Particularly when you have losing seasons north of the 1 good.

Good coaches use the portal judiciously. Tucker and Harsin with 18 transfers each on their two deep will serve as a cautionary tale. Character matters.

Should Tucker have kept players who's could not play? He has had 55 players portal Only 5 landed at FBS programs.

• Wow
Reactions: LMTLION
Should Tucker have kept players who's could not play? He has had 55 players portal Only 5 landed at FBS programs.
That's interesting......ironically, based on the record, the guys he brought in can't play either.

Didn't msu beat psu last year? Who finished with a better record?

Sparty is only going to be favored in 3 of their remaining 7 games. That sounds like a struggle to get bowl eligible. The Illinois game could change.
Nobody cared about his 5-7 at Colorado or 2-5 in '20. Why does last year matter?

Reactions: marshall23
JF produced 3-11 win seasons in 4 years for his contract, albeit they gave it to him later. Many here were upset.

Tucker has 1-11 win season and a handful of losing seasons and he gets his contract. The same upset people seemed okay with Tucker getting it.

Personally, I think Saban, Buckeyes, Clemson and now Georgia have created high expectations everywhere. Ones that aren't achievable on a yearly basis.

Tucker has the same problems this year that he had last year, but he doesn't have Walker to rely on. If the money he got is the going rate, fine. But 1 good season doesn't make a coach. Particularly when you have losing seasons north of the 1 good.
Michigan State and Penn State aren't comparable. They overpaid Tucker to keep him which happens at schools like Michigan State all the time
Major programs should be trying to duplicate Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc.
I'm not even mad about the extension Franklin got but you also have to be willing to pay the buyout when/if things go bad.

You can not contractually control NIL money based on participation, performance, grades, etc.
No, but you can control the scholarship that allows them to attend college for free. If they are healthy and eligible academically and are choosing not to play then they are not holding up their end of the scholarship and should have it pulled. Having to pay to stay in school may change their mind.

No, but you can control the scholarship that allows them to attend college for free. If they are healthy and eligible academically and are choosing not to play then they are not holding up their end of the scholarship and should have it pulled. Having to pay to stay in school may change their mind.
Can a team restrict players who do this from weight room , team facilities etc. ?
Can a coach put these players on the scout team ?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
The company who "hired" the player and is paying them NIL can control them though. If the contract is for a player playing at SMU and the player stops playing that company could stop paying depending on ho contract is written. And I suspect businesses going to start being very specific in requirements in NIL contracts

lot's of coaches get fired at auburn. he will cash a check for 15m and and have a great life.
That's awesome--he rode someone else's success at Boise State and turned it into a major job where he flopped as many predicted he would. Getting fired and getting paid isn't what you said.

The company who "hired" the player and is paying them NIL can control them though. If the contract is for a player playing at SMU and the player stops playing that company could stop paying depending on ho contract is written. And I suspect businesses going to start being very specific in requirements in NIL contracts
If they aren’t playing and purposefully sitting out, how interesting is their name, image and likenes?

Cue a nobody speaking on behalf of the local dealership. Lol. A nobody that won’t be living locally shortly.

I think a reasonable person would see similarities between the Auburn and Michigan State football programs. Both are the "Cow Colleges" eg Ag school counterparts to flagship state schools.

Both are strong programs with great historical moments. However both likely pale in comparison to their in state rivals in terms of "Walmart" fandom. It is hard to try to be #1 in the country if you are continually #2 in your state.

That will force such schools to try for out of the box hires like a Gus Malhzan with a gimmick offense or maybe a Dan Mullen or Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State. At times there is success like AU with Cam Newton, but the expectations are hard to maintain

MSU has been a solid football program, but it is not a destination. Izzo and Saban started there around the same time. One left as soon as greener pastures presented themselves. It is another similarity that both AU and MSU are currently much better basketball schools.

Tucker was a logical hire and good shot. Both Harstin and Mel were at the top of the available coaches when hired. They got big contracts for the going rate in hopes of being "home runs" and the schools didn't want them jumping if they had success.

Harstin is toast, Mel has work to do and will need a combination of "his" recruits along with portals to survive. Tucker is somewhat like Bill O'Brien in that he hasn't had the time to fully showcase his impact- but also did a great short term job in a difficult circumstance.

I think a reasonable person would see similarities between the Auburn and Michigan State football programs. Both are the "Cow Colleges" eg Ag school counterparts to flagship state schools.

Both are strong programs with great historical moments. However both likely pale in comparison to their in state rivals in terms of "Walmart" fandom. It is hard to try to be #1 in the country if you are continually #2 in your state.

That will force such schools to try for out of the box hires like a Gus Malhzan with a gimmick offense or maybe a Dan Mullen or Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State. At times there is success like AU with Cam Newton, but the expectations are hard to maintain

MSU has been a solid football program, but it is not a destination. Izzo and Saban started there around the same time. One left as soon as greener pastures presented themselves. It is another similarity that both AU and MSU are currently much better basketball schools.

Tucker was a logical hire and good shot. Both Harstin and Mel were at the top of the available coaches when hired. They got big contracts for the going rate in hopes of being "home runs" and the schools didn't want them jumping if they had success.

Harstin is toast, Mel has work to do and will need a combination of "his" recruits along with portals to survive. Tucker is somewhat like Bill O'Brien in that he hasn't had the time to fully showcase his impact- but also did a great short term job in a difficult circumstance.
Weird comparison. Cow college vs big private school. Let’s look at PA.

Reactions: bison13
Weird comparison. Cow college vs big private school. Let’s look at PA.

U of Michigan is public...in fact a "Public Ivy". It is not the same as PA/ Univ of Pennsylvania if that is the comparison you are thinking. They have t shirts around Penn that say We Are NOT Penn State. I once got an internship b/c the boss mistakenly thought that Pennsylvania State University was Penn.

The coveted Land Grant trophy speaks to our similarity to MSU and the original mission. Auburn plays the same role in Alabama.

Schools have evolved from their origins to excel in many other academic areas. MSU has a strong Communications school...PSU is known for Engineering and Supply Chain...but UM fans still deride MSU as a "cow college" meaning Ag based #2 level education.

In essence they are the Little Brother that many on this board claim Pitt plays in our state from a football perspective. Strong history and occasional greatness, but still secondary. To make the leap requires risk. Auburn lost. MSU remains to be seen.

I was thinking PSU v Pitt…

But I’m also not sure how Auburn, one of the top 15 winningest programs of all time, with National Championships has lost. They are just down. For now.

Georgia is eating up a lot of recruits that Auburn usually gets. Auburn has never been as high as often as Georgia has been under Kirby recruiting wise, but it's pushed Auburn down.

The Harsin hire isn't turning out good but it doesn't seem like he's had any support since he got there. When the AD who hired you quits before season 2, you are on borrowed time dealing with those boosters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT