ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Singleton and Kaytron's Development

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU FRESHMEN RB vs. NW

See Link and apologies in advance for the choppiness. Normal recording software was on the fritz. Anyway, we broke down how the two true freshmen RBs are developing. Major takeaway, from our perspective at least while editing this, is that Penn State really needs the lightbulb to turn on for Singleton during this 3-game stretch because with KLS hurt, he's really the only explosive athlete Penn State has left offensively. And yes, it's totally unfair to ask that of an 18-year-old who is already the best freshman RB in the country, but it's also the reality of the situation. He's been great (obviously) but he's left yards on the table the past two games because of his lack of experience...whereas it seems Kaytron is milking every possible inch on runs (given his athletic ability) thanks to his vision, instincts, maturity. Maybe it's an IMG thing, because Cain was much the same way pre-injury in 2019 as a freshman.

I think it would be interesting and perhaps beneficial to use both backs on short yardage situations. Not necessarily the Power T formation (which I love), but any 2 back set that forces the defense to be accountable.

We need more play action completions as well. Everything we are building with these guys sets up the pass. If you can burn a team from these looks, those safeties are slower to play downhill.

I think it would be interesting and perhaps beneficial to use both backs on short yardage situations. Not necessarily the Power T formation (which I love), but any 2 back set that forces the defense to be accountable.

We need more play action completions as well. Everything we are building with these guys sets up the pass. If you can burn a team from these looks, those safeties are slower to play downhill.
Not having a great deep threat, the play action would also help set up more downfield openings

Reactions: lazydave841
Use the TE's more. Johnson is a tremendous receiver and hasn't had much thrown his way when he has been in this year. Never see a TE seem pass with the group we have. Strange has been outstanding when the ball is thrown his way, and he appears to be blocking well also.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT