ADVERTISEMENT

Where Do They All Fit?

MonkChowder

Mar 10, 2014
The 2024-25 lineup thread got me thinking ahead. Particularly as Cael hunts down Gable's NC record. With the wonderful embarrassment of riches we have here and coming in, where do they all fit over the next four year cycle? People smarter than me might be able to fit the puzzle together...particularly in the upper six weights. Anyone wanna try? All these guys have at least two years left....
Davis
Lilledahl
Desmond (2025)
Nagao
Kasak
SVN
Mesenbrink
Haines
Cunningham (2025)
PJ Duke (2025)
Facundo
Henckel (2025)
Barr
Sealey
Ryder
Mirasola x 2

It is why we are fans and the coaches are well the coaches. Not to say that to be a jerk but they likely already have a plan between Greyshirts and Redshirts to make all lineups possible. Possibly a few guys taking an Olympic shirt in 2028. Either way our arsenal is always reloaded and the chambers are never empty

The 2024-25 lineup thread got me thinking ahead. Particularly as Cael hunts down Gable's NC record. With the wonderful embarrassment of riches we have here and coming in, where do they all fit over the next four year cycle? People smarter than me might be able to fit the puzzle together...particularly in the upper six weights. Anyone wanna try? All these guys have at least two years left....
Davis
Lilledahl
Desmond (2025)
Nagao
Kasak
SVN
Mesenbrink
Haines
Cunningham (2025)
PJ Duke (2025)
Facundo
Henckel (2025)
Barr
Sealey
Ryder
Mirasola x 2
Add in Bartlett and Kerk I believe. Maybe Carter if they can figure out a way for him to not go to school. Add Cochran. Isn't the oldest Cunningham in the room already, or is that a gray shirt. Two Gibsons there as well. Steen. Howard. Room is pretty loaded

Looks like the locker rooms and practice room are big enough though for everyone :p

Nice problem to have. Certainly we should never have to forfeit a match at home. Still waiting to hear from Spyker of how we can get 12+ qualified for NCAAs and really shatter that record

LorenzoWC7_1_.jpg

psu-locker-room.jpg

Reactions: goethe14
Definitely a great problem to have! I am sure other teams would love to have this "problem" : )

Davis
Lilledahl
Desmond (2025)
Nagao
Kasak
SVN
Mesenbrink
Haines
Cunningham (2025)
PJ Duke (2025)
Facundo
Henckel (2025)
Barr
Sealey
Ryder
Mirasola x 2
One of the posters on here does a spreadsheet breakdown by year... would like to see his new one

It is why we are fans and the coaches are well the coaches. Not to say that to be a jerk but they likely already have a plan between Greyshirts and Redshirts to make all lineups possible. Possibly a few guys taking an Olympic shirt in 2028. Either way our arsenal is always reloaded and the chambers are never empty
Of course the coaches have a plan. I thought it would be fun for fans to do the puzzle themselves.

Davis
Lilledahl
Desmond (2025)
Nagao
Kasak
SVN
Mesenbrink
Haines
Cunningham (2025)
PJ Duke (2025)
Facundo
Henckel (2025)
Barr
Sealey
Ryder
Mirasola x 2

Cael, or someone, must be a master with Excel spreadsheets. 😂

Even Cael has something close to a 50% hit rate on top 10 recruits but it's getting better, imo. Most coaches are more like 25%. But in any case, not all of these recruits will be huge successes in college, so a surplus is a good thing.

Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
Even Cael has something close to a 50% hit rate on top 10 recruits but it's getting better, imo. Most coaches are more like 25%. But in any case, not all of these recruits will be huge successes in college, so a surplus is a good thing.
Really glad we had overlap at 125 and 141/149 this year. Stuff happens beyond the wrestlers' and coaches' control.

Cael mentioned the other day in one of his press conferences that you don't start thinking about next year now, you started 3-4 years ago. I'm confident he has a plan for all of the talent coming in. And I'm also certain that if there is a logjam at particular weights, it'll be up to the wrestlers to push their way to the top. I would imagine a few of the names mentioned will portal out but that's just life in the big city.

Davis
Lilledahl
Desmond (2025)
Nagao
Kasak
SVN
Mesenbrink
Haines
Cunningham (2025)
PJ Duke (2025)
Facundo
Henckel (2025)
Barr
Sealey
Ryder
Mirasola x 2
The short answer to this is "They don't". There's no way there is enough room for everyone. The super elite guys who are really going to get the squeeze are Sealey, Ryder, and Duke, who all may end up competing for one spot (174). At least one will end up leaving, just by necessity, once the pecking order shakes itself out. These three guys are blocked by Haines/Mesenbrink from below up to 165 (these two guys will be undefeated for the rest of their respective careers and aren't going anywhere), and from above by Barr at 184 (and I believe the hype about Barr). So, you have 3 world caliber top 10 recruits who are competing for one spot or have to beat a multi-time national champ either above or below. Once Mesenbrink leaves after 2027, there will be two spots if any of them can still make 165.

Up to 165 could work itself out:

2025:
125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Kerk

RS: Davis, M. Gibson, Kasak, Perry, Sealey, Ryder, Mirasola, Mirasola

2026:
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis
141 Nagao
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 ??? Facundo/Sealey/Ryder
184 Barr
197 Mirosola
HWT Mirasola

RS: Desmond, Duke, Cunningham, Henckel

2027:
125 Desmond
133 Lilledahl
141 Davis
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Mesenbrink
174 ??? Facundo/Sealey/Ryder/Duke (!!!!!!)
184 Barr
197 Mirasola
HWT Mirasola

Facundo and at least one of Sealey/Ryder/Duke (or Barr if one of them goes up and beats him) are the most likely candidates to portal out. Facundo should be able to hold down 174 next year while Sealey and Ryder RS, but I'm not sure after that. That's A LOT of talent to hold off.

Reactions: Ja1339
The short answer to this is "They don't". There's no way there is enough room for everyone. The super elite guys who are really going to get the squeeze are Sealey, Ryder, and Duke, who all may end up competing for one spot (174). At least one will end up leaving, just by necessity, once the pecking order shakes itself out. These three guys are blocked by Haines/Mesenbrink from below up to 165 (these two guys will be undefeated for the rest of their respective careers and aren't going anywhere), and from above by Barr at 184 (and I believe the hype about Barr). So, you have 3 world caliber top 10 recruits who are competing for one spot or have to beat a multi-time national champ either above or below. Once Mesenbrink leaves after 2027, there will be two spots if any of them can still make 165.

2025:
125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Kerk

2026:
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis
141 Nagao
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
184 Barr
197 Mirosola
HWT Mirasola

2027:
125 Desmond
133 Lilledahl
141 Davis
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Mesenbrink
184 Barr
197 Mirasola
HWT Mirasola

Facundo and at least one of Sealey/Ryder/Duke (or Barr if one of them goes up and beats him) are the most likely candidates to portal out. Facundo should be able to hold down 174 next year while Sealey and Ryder RS, but I'm not sure after that. That's A LOT of talent to hold off.
Even with a redshirt, Kasak ain't waiting til 2027 to wrestle again, nor should he. .

I think with a year under his belt he may beat Beau at 141 and certainly Nagao. Let the lion roar. I didn't think it's a stretch he is or 141 next year. Freshman Kasak > Sophomore Bartett, Kasak is far more offensive and I think his ceiling is higher. It's a matter of time before he surpasses Beau IMO, maybe it's next year.

He said in an interview he doesn't care what weight he goes at including going back down.

Nagao is looking like the odd man out at some point with pressure from both above and below in future years.

Even with a redshirt, Kasak ain't waiting til 2027 to wrestle again, nor should he. .

I think with a year under his belt he may beat Beau at 141 and certainly Nagao. Let the lion roar. I didn't think it's a stretch he is or 141 next year. Freshman Kasak > Sophomore Bartett, Kasak is far more offensive and I think his ceiling is higher. It's a matter of time before he surpasses Beau IMO, maybe it's next year.

He said in an interview he doesn't care what weight he goes at including going back down.

Nagao is looking like the odd man out at some point with pressure from both above and below in future years.
That's why I think Bartlett goes down to 33 and Kasak goes 141.

Wow what an embarrassment of riches. You guys definitely have some 3rd world problems sorting through all that talent. Hard not to be jealous when you see all those names actually listed.

I think Duke is the best of the bunch in the incoming middle/upper weights. I’ve been leading the Sealey bandwagon since his freshman year of high school and am still super high on him but Duke just seems like a really really special talent. My only question with him is his injuries. He’s had a few pretty major ones already which worries me a bit. I think Ryder might put on a bit of solid weight and challenge Barr at 184. Not sure how that goes but 157-174 is going to have so many elite guys fighting it out while 184/197 isn’t as deep. The talent is close to the same but the depth isn’t. Its going to be awesome watching it all play out
I forgot about Henckel. He looked massive at preps and has the frame to grow into a 184/197 I think. Just one more stud in the mix

Last edited:
Wow what an embarrassment of riches. You guys definitely have some 3rd world problems sorting through all that talent. Hard not to be jealous when you see all those names actually listed.
First world problems. 3rd world problems in wrestling involve scouring the transfer portal for a one year patch to holes in your leaking, sinking boat of a program and then doing the exact same thing the next season.

Last edited:
Davis
Lilledahl
Desmond (2025)
Nagao
Kasak
SVN
Mesenbrink
Haines
Cunningham (2025)
PJ Duke (2025)
Facundo
Henckel (2025)
Barr
Sealey
Ryder
Mirasola x 2
We need another “world domination” update! Wait until Forest and Bassett arrive…

2025:
125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Kerk

2026:
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis
141 Nagao
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
184 Barr
197 Mirosola
HWT Mirasola

2027:
125 Desmond
133 Lilledahl
141 Davis
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Mesenbrink
184 Barr
197 Mirasola
HWT Mirasola

You forgot Kasak in 2026.

Reactions: creamery freak
We need another “world domination” update! Wait until Forest and Bassett arrive…
A mind boggling assemblage of talent. An age old dictum is that internal competition will determine who starts and who sits. In our situation it’s obvious that some very good wrestlers are going to queue up. I’m sure Cael has the mental acuity to manage the edges with minimal damage.

A mind boggling assemblage of talent. An age old dictum is that internal competition will determine who starts and who sits. In our situation it’s obvious that some very good wrestlers are going to queue up. I’m sure Cael has the mental acuity to manage the edges with minimal damage.
I'm thinking a few are going to go right when they come in.

2025:
125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Kerk

2026:
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis
141 Nagao
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
184 Barr
197 Mirosola
HWT Mirasola

2027:
125 Desmond
133 Lilledahl
141 Davis
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Mesenbrink
184 Barr
197 Mirasola
HWT Mirasola

Flo has Ryder listed at 190, so I’m assuming he’s more likely a 184 than a 174.

2025:
125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Kerk

2026:
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis
141 Nagao
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
184 Barr
197 Mirosola
HWT Mirasola

2027:
125 Desmond
133 Lilledahl
141 Davis
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Mesenbrink
184 Barr
197 Mirasola
HWT Mirasola

You can add in Henckle (sp?). Out of the Sealey/Ryder/Duke convo, I like Duke the best. My only concern with him is his health. I could be wrong but I think the last year or so he has dealt with a few injuries. Also, I'm not sure Duke gets that big, we might be seeing Duke in the 57-65 area. This is all a great problem to have. I think don't think Mesenbrink was a full size 65er this year. Not that you can do much better, but I think his body size is better at 57 and I truly believe there will be a switch next year with Mesenbrink at 57 and Haines at 65. I've seen a few guys mention Haines to 74, but I think that will be Facundo with Starocci at 84 and if he can get big enough Barr at 97.

Next year 25:
125: Davis/LL (one redshirts, my guess is LL)
133: Nagao
141: BB
149: SVN (Kasak rs)
157: MM
165: Haines
174: Facundo
184: Starocci (being the only 5xer is too much to pass up)
197: Barr/Cochran
HWT: Kerk

My guess is eventually Facundo is the odd man out. He either stays and trains with the NLWC and pursues international aspirations, or transfers out.

Year after 26:
125: Davis/LL
133: Davis/LL
141: Nagao
149: Kasak
157: SVN
165: Messenbrink
174: Haines
184: Ryder/Barr
197: Mirasola/Barr
285: Mirasola

Obviously all of this is speculation and a lot can change. It is however fun to talk/think about and gives us something to talk about.

If any starter might be in jeopardy of being displaced, it might be Nagao.

Whenever you hear the coaching staff talk about what they look for, it's improvement.

Nagao placed 5th in 2022, 10th in 2023.

Winning Pct 2022 78.57; 2023: 70.83

RPI: .2022: .674 2023:

However, he went from 27.59 i n 2022 to 54.19 in 2023.

Given that he was listed at 141 as a Fr., maybe the cut is too deep for him.

Let's not forget: Nick Nevills was an AA before he was displaced by Cassar, who lost out to an undersized Rasheed at 197 the prior year. When Cassar beat Moore, did anybody honestly see that as the launchpoint for not only an NC, but at a higher weight class and the only guy to blemish Steveson's record?

The hot stove league is all we got now, but in truth we have no idea what might happen.

Also didn't Cael once make a remark about Levi not staying at 157?

You forgot Kasak in 2026.
I didn’t forget him. I’m working under the assumption that he will be too big to make 141 by 2026 and the opinion that he won’t be able to beat out a healthy SVN (who I had pegged as the national champ favorite before the injury this year), so there won’t be a spot for him. He’ll challenge SVN, but again, I’m Team Van Ness in that one, or if he can hold 141 until 2026, I think he would take that spot from Nagao. If it plays out the way I outlined, there’s a chance he portals if he doesn’t have a spot in 2026, but I think he’ll stay because he’ll still have 2 years starting left, although I suppose he could be competing with Bo Bassett by then, too, LOL.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I didn’t forget him. I’m working under the assumption that he will be too big to make 141 by 2026 and the opinion that he won’t be able to beat out a healthy SVN (who I had pegged as the national champ favorite before the injury this year), so there won’t be a spot for him. He’ll challenge SVN, but again, I’m Team Van Ness in that one, or if he can hold 141 until 2026, I think he would take that spot from Nagao. If it plays out the way I outlined, there’s a chance he portals if he doesn’t have a spot in 2026, but I think he’ll stay because he’ll still have 2 years starting left, although I suppose he could be competing with Bo Bassett by then, too, LOL.
I'm team, I don't have a freekin clue what's going to happen, but Cael definitely does.

Don’t sell Nagao short, he had injury/health issues for a majority of the season, he is a very talented wrestler!
No doubt, and he most likely (my guess >60%) is the starter with Davis or the Lelledahl shirting.

That said he has an odd feel for situations and scrambles that I am not convinced can be coached out. Even as a very in the room he is going to have a very real challenge in 2026, possible 2025.

Last edited:
If any starter might be in jeopardy of being displaced, it might be Nagao.

Whenever you hear the coaching staff talk about what they look for, it's improvement.

Nagao placed 5th in 2022, 10th in 2023.

Winning Pct 2022 78.57; 2023: 70.83

RPI: .2022: .674 2023:

However, he went from 27.59 i n 2022 to 54.19 in 2023.

Given that he was listed at 141 as a Fr., maybe the cut is too deep for him.

Let's not forget: Nick Nevills was an AA before he was displaced by Cassar, who lost out to an undersized Rasheed at 197 the prior year. When Cassar beat Moore, did anybody honestly see that as the launchpoint for not only an NC, but at a higher weight class and the only guy to blemish Steveson's record?

The hot stove league is all we got now, but in truth we have no idea what might happen.

Also didn't Cael once make a remark about Levi not staying at 157?
IMHO, Nagao does not look like a big 133 when up close.

2025:
125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Kerk

2026:
125 Lilledahl
133 Davis
141 Nagao
149 SVN
157 Haines/Mes
165 Haines/Mes
184 Barr
197 Mirosola
HWT Mirasola

2027:
125 Desmond
133 Lilledahl
141 Davis
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Mesenbrink
184 Barr
197 Mirasola
HWT Mirasola

Duke projects as a 157 in college, and he has said this himself I suppose this could change, but he is not a tall, lanky guy, and is already pretty well filled out. IMO it's doubtful he would ever get up to 174.

Reactions: Sullivan
Ryder won the Edinboro Open and the Messiah Open this year, both at 174.

We'll see how long that holds up, but at least it's recent data (Feb 2024).
Also, Ryder won U17 nationals at 80 kg (176 lb) in Spring 2023.

And as noted in other threads, Ryder is already pretty thick and filled out. I suspect he'll stay at 174 for a while, unless there is a good reason (e.g., team need or better opportunity) to move up to 184.

Duke projects as a 157 in college, and he has said this himself I suppose this could change, but he is not a tall, lanky guy, and is already pretty well filled out. IMO it's doubtful he would ever get up to 174.
It would be really helpful for the mid/upper weight lineup bingo if he could stay under 165 because he would slot in at 157 after his RS year when Levi graduates, although that's going to end up pinching either Kasak or SVN if Kasak can't make 141 once Beau leaves (and Kasak did not look like a small 149 out there already, like Beau did at 149).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT