ADVERTISEMENT

What are your top 2 keys to winning this game?

republion

Mar 24, 2009
Aside from the obvious (score more points), what specially do you think Penn State needs to do to win this game. Pick 1 key for defense and 1 key for offense.

Defense
Limit OSU’s long runs. You can’t give up 30+ yard runs. They might get a 15 or 20 yard rip here or there, but you can’t give up that 30+ yard run.

Offense
Drew Allar. I honestly think he needs to use the pump fake in this game. We haven’t seen it from him and I really think it could be used effectively against a defense like Ohio State. If Drew can effectively pump fake, I think it can open up the offense significantly.

I’m not optimistic we’ll be effective running the ball, so I think one key is Allar being accurate (65-70%).

And yeah, pressuring McCord. Not necessarily a big sack number, but at least forcing him to throw earlier than he’d like.

O: No turnovers. Bad Sean Clifford showed up for a lot of OSU games and turnovers were a big factor in his 0fer. We haven't won the turnover battle against them since 2019.

2022- 3 ints 1 fumble (OSU 0/0)
2021- 1 int 2 fumbles (OSU 0/1)
2020- 1 int 0 fumbles (OSU 0/0)
2019- 1 int 0 fumbles (OSU 0/3)

D: Don't give up any explosive TDs. Their Red Zone offense isn't particularly effective. Force them into long drives and don't let them skip that part of the field.

Aside from the obvious (score more points), what specially do you think Penn State needs to do to win this game. Pick 1 key for defense and 1 key for offense.

Defense
Limit OSU’s long runs. You can’t give up 30+ yard runs. They might get a 15 or 20 yard rip here or there, but you can’t give up that 30+ yard run.

Offense
Drew Allar. I honestly think he needs to use the pump fake in this game. We haven’t seen it from him and I really think it could be used effectively against a defense like Ohio State. If Drew can effectively pump fake, I think it can open up the offense significantly.
Offensive line, be able to run the ball effectively enough to control time of possession. I don’t care if we break long runs or not, just move the chains.

Turnover battle, must be positive in our favor. Hold onto the ball, and Drew needs to continue to take what the Defense gives him.

D - limit their yards on first down…strength of our D is getting them into obvious passing situations, but worried about them doing to us what we’ve done to everyone else this season with long sustained drives. That starts with staying out of 2nd and 2/3.

O - Convert our opportunities…we’re not going to have as many scoring chances as we’ve been seeing, so need to make those drives count with TDs…and if not a TD, can’t leave 3 points out on the field missing FGs.

Offensive line, be able to run the ball effectively enough to control time of possession. I don’t care if we break long runs or not, just move the chains.

Turnover battle, must be positive in our favor. Hold onto the ball, and Drew needs to continue to take what the Defense gives him.
I doubt we'll be able to control the ball by running between the tackles. We've struggled to do it against weaker opponents so why would we expect that now?

Until now opponents have played soft coverage and Allar has taken the underneath passes. I expect OSU to play more press man coverage hoping to take the underneath stuff away.

I think PSU will have to take a different approach in order to sustain drives. More quick slants (Harrison) and RB screens (Singleton). Also more to the TEs.

Defense

Offense
1 or fewer turnovers, and execute…..that’s it. If we do that , it’s highly likely that we win.

Reactions: republion
2 keys
Win turnover battle
Have a similar number of explosive plays...don't have to win that but has to be close. Say 5-3. We won't win without a few plays of 20+

I doubt we'll be able to control the ball by running between the tackles. We've struggled to do it against weaker opponents so why would we expect that now?

Until now opponents have played soft coverage and Allar has taken the underneath passes. I expect OSU to play more press man coverage hoping to take the underneath stuff away.

I think PSU will have to take a different approach in order to sustain drives. More quick slants (Harrison) and RB screens (Singleton). Also more to the TEs.

We haven't struggled to move the chains running the ball - that is nonsense. We average 203.3 Rushing YPG and PSU leads the Conference in First Downs gained via the Run (76) - duhO$U is dead last with 38 First Downs via the run.

0ffense needs to improve in two areas:
1. WRs need to get some separation so we can complete some medium and long passes. If so, OSU won't be able to stack the box. Hopefully, this might open some running lanes.

0ffense needs to improve in two areas:
1. WRs need to get some separation so we can complete some medium and long passes. If so, OSU won't be able to stack the box. Hopefully, this might open some running lanes.
That would be great but what makes you think we'll get better separation against OSU than we did against ILL & NW?

One chance is to get some slants to Wallace. That might keep OSU LBs honest and give PSU RBs more room.

We lead the Big ten in rushing, 203 yards per game. Everyone is obsessed with long runs, but we have been actually pretty good at grinding things out and mixing the run with timely passes for first downs. The same formula can work against Ohio State that relies more on explosive plays.

We lead the Big ten in rushing, 203 yards per game. Everyone is obsessed with long runs, but we have been actually pretty good at grinding things out and mixing the run with timely passes for first downs. The same formula can work against Ohio State that relies more on explosive plays.
Because of the volume of runs we have as our defense is never on the field. It's impossible to believe our defense is going to consistently force 3 & outs. Ohio State's offense isn't what it has been but it's still significantly better than anything we've seen. The D will be fine but it won't be as lopsided. Ohio State's also the best defense we've faced.

Against the better defenses we’ve faced, the running game has been *good enough*, but in a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust way. And keep in mind that almost 20% of our rushing has come from our backup QB in garbage time. So I’m skeptical we’ll be able to run consistently against the best D we’ve seen, on the road.

One thing I’m very happy about is we rarely lose yardage, which is big for keeping drives going.

I think we need Allar to step up and have a strong game. And Yurcich needs to put him in a good position to do that. Not necessarily 300 yards, but better than he’s been on the road so far.

Against the better defenses we’ve faced, the running game has been *good enough*, but in a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust way. And keep in mind that almost 20% of our rushing has come from our backup QB in garbage time. So I’m skeptical we’ll be able to run consistently against the best D we’ve seen, on the road.
It's interesting the our 3 longest runs this year have come from Tank Smith, Potts, and Beau.

Seems almost inconceivable after last year that Singleton doesn't have a 20 yard run after 89 carries. Regression to the mean tells me that he should have about 3 of them on Saturday. :)

1. Don’t turn the ball over.
2. Be in McCord’s face all day long resulting in sacks, INTs and possibly a strip sack fumble recovery.

Last edited:
PSU played some weak teams to achieve those rushing stats. Also a lot of those rushing yards are Pribula in garbage time. Let's see how we do against a quality opponent.

I think the key to PSU's offense has been the underneath throws. I expect OSU's superior DBs to play press coverage and take that away.

I expect a low scoring game with turnovers being the deciding factor.

Yep. And if you watch, defenses have schemes to stop our long runs. That has already created its own benefits. And that is why we are scoring at a high clip even against good defenses like Iowa and Illinois.

Three things.

First, on D: pressure on their QB: hit him...sack him...make him feel uncomfortable from the first minute of play, which will put our great secondary in the driver's seat.

I mean, we've seen that their rushing attack has limitations, and their OL was beaten by the likes of Maryland. Therefore, take away McCord, and their O is largely neutralized.

Second, for us on O, it comes down to one guy: Drew Allar. He has to play an error-free game and make some tough throws. If he does, the Bucks will be forced to play the running game honestly, and a lot of things will open up. If he doesn't, it's going to be a tough afternoon.

That's a lot of pressure to put on a 1st-year starter, which is not really fair to him, but it's the reality. In modern-day college football, you don't win big-time games against big-time teams without a big-time performance from your QB.

Third, an honest game from the zebras. I think most conference crews call things straight-up. But the old Big-2 bias is baked into the equation and sometimes does serious damage.

In sum: if the D gets pressure...and Drew plays well...and the refs call an honest game..we win.

Three things.

First, on D: pressure on their QB: hit him...sack him...make him feel uncomfortable from the first minute of play, which will put our great secondary in the driver's seat.

I mean, we've seen that their rushing attack has limitations, and their OL was beaten by the likes of Maryland. Therefore, take away McCord, and their O is largely neutralized.

Second, for us on O, it comes down to one guy: Drew Allar. He has to play an error-free game and make some tough throws. If he does, the Bucks will be forced to play the running game honestly, and a lot of things will open up. If he doesn't, it's going to be a tough afternoon.

That's a lot of pressure to put on a 1st-year starter, which is not really fair to him, but it's the reality. In modern-day college football, you don't win big-time games against big-time teams without a big-time performance from your QB.

Third, an honest game from the zebras. I think most conference crews call things straight-up. But the old Big-2 bias is baked into the equation and sometimes does serious damage.

In sum: if the D gets pressure...and Drew plays well...and the refs call an honest game..we win.
If our WR's get separation against a good but not great OSU defensive backfield we will win this game. PSU is equal to OSU in every position but our WR's are making life difficult for DA. How about 3 TE's???

Defense

Offense
1. They are going to move safeties into the box to stop the run. We need to hit some decent throws to WR's to keep them honest.

2. Get a turnover or two on defense. OSU isn't going to run on us. Force them to make some big throws and beat our top tier DB's

1. Protect Allar
2. Smother McCord, without crazy blitzes.

If we do this, good things will happen on both sides of the ball. TO's, rushing, passing, big plays etc.

Defense

Offense
Allar had to be MUCH improved vs his road performances to date.

Offensive line has to be MUCH improved run blocking.

Got my doubts with both.

I don’t think it is reasonable to expect Allar to make a step function improvement at the Shoe when he was infective at Illinois and Northwestern. Hopefully, he will continue to gain confidence.

I am perplexed why the offensive line continues to struggle. (Do we need yet another coaching change?) Will this change suddenly at O$U? Why should I believe that?

Special teams: punt effectively and take field goals when available.

Offense: Pass plays to the running backs. Get them in space and let them run.

Defense: Don't get caught giving up big runs up the middle when the outside pass rush doesn't get there.

Coaching: Please, please, don't go for it on fourth down at the 50 or on the PSU side of the field. Punt and trust the defense. That's especially true early in the game.

Officials: Don't allow OSU offensive holding and defensive pass interference. Easiest way to control the game is with what you don't call.

Last edited:

Got my doubts with both.

I don’t think it is reasonable to expect Allar to make a step function improvement at the Shoe when he was infective at Illinois and Northwestern. Hopefully, he will continue to gain confidence.

I am perplexed why the offensive line continues to struggle. (Do we need yet another coaching change?) Will this change suddenly at O$U? Why should I believe that?
What a gloomy take on what this team has accomplished so far. It's like you're describing a team that's lucky to be 4-2.

Obviously, there's no guarantee PSU can win on Saturday. But it would be fun to see the reaction of the more critical, negative "fans" like you if they do win.

Reactions: NittanyChris

Got my doubts with both.

Why do I have a feeling you completely disappear from this board on Saturday if we win? What you got? 28-0 Bucks? 35-0? Maybe PSU gets a garbage time TD? Allar clearly does not belong on the same field as McCord. The OSU D line will eat the PSU O-Line alive, what, 5-6-7 sacks? Under 20 yards rushing?

Field Position
PSU must avoid the physical/mental mistakes that give the Bucknuts a short field. As I posted in another thread, giving either team a short field a couple/three times greatly increases their chance to win.
Tackling
Get OSU’s explosive players on the ground quickly. PSU’s defense , at times, has a tendency to allow two-yard interior runs to become seven-yard gains. Or DB’s try to “body block” tackle rather rather than wrapping up with their arms. Make the Bucknuts earn every yard.

What a gloomy take on what this team has accomplished so far. It's like you're describing a team that's lucky to be 4-2.

Obviously, there's no guarantee PSU can win on Saturday. But it would be fun to see the reaction of the more critical, negative "fans" like you if they do win.
It may be gloomy, but is it not realistic?

PSU has won one of last 10 vs O$U. Both of my observations are completely objective.

I will be ecstatic if we win. Possible? Absolutely. But have seen nothing to date to think this is likely.

Why do I have a feeling you completely disappear from this board on Saturday if we win? What you got? 28-0 Bucks? 35-0? Maybe PSU gets a garbage time TD? Allar clearly does not belong on the same field as McCord. The OSU D line will eat the PSU O-Line alive, what, 5-6-7 sacks? Under 20 yards rushing?
My prediction is 21-9 O$U.

I have been a strong PSU supporter for over 50 years.

And I will be at the Indiana game no matter the outcome of this game. Even if we lose this week, the season is still alive with only one loss and Michigan on the horizon.

I’ll be honest, I have been mostly disappointed with the team to date. The defense does seem to be playing better since we got healthier at DTackle.

Will have a nice year no matter what as the schedule is a lot easier than anticipated in August.

But if this team is to be a playoff team, it will have to get much better on offense.

With what I have seen of the wide receivers and the offensive line, I have significant doubt. But Allar has been sound all year. However, we are not going to beat a real team with check downs for 4-5 yards (this could be a WR issue - not Allar).

Would be thrilled to be proven wrong!

My prediction is 21-9 O$U.

I have been a strong PSU supporter for over 50 years.

And I will be at the Indiana game no matter the outcome of this game. Even if we lose this week, the season is still alive with only one loss and Michigan on the horizon.

I’ll be honest, I have been mostly disappointed with the team to date. The defense does seem to be playing better since we got healthier at DTackle.

Will have a nice year no matter what as the schedule is a lot easier than anticipated in August.

But if this team is to be a playoff team, it will have to get much better on offense.

With what I have seen of the wide receivers and the offensive line, I have significant doubt. But Allar has been sound all year. However, we are not going to beat a real team with check downs for 4-5 yards (this could be a WR issue - not Allar).

Would be thrilled to be proven wrong!
Your assessments are entirely too negative and one sided for OSU and against PSU. You fail to consider any weaknesses OSU may have that Penn State can take advantage of. There is a realistic objective take and then there is yours which is off the charts. In reading your gloom and doom comments it is clear you have no confidence we have any shot. We certainly could lose this game but my God at least come up with an objective, balanced assessment.
It seems OSU is a top 5 team and we are maybe #25. Your score prediction reflects that which is way more negative than any prognosticators. The title of the thread is keys to winning yet you drone on about how our WRs and O-line suck so we are doomed. I am stunned you are actually a PSU supporter.

Reactions: royboy
Your assessments are entirely too negative and one sided for OSU and against PSU. You fail to consider any weaknesses OSU may have that Penn State can take advantage of. There is a realistic objective take and then there is yours which is off the charts. In reading your gloom and doom comments it is clear you have no confidence we have any shot. We certainly could lose this game but my God at least come up with an objective, balanced assessment.
It seems OSU is a top 5 team and we are maybe #25. Your score prediction reflects that which is way more negative than any prognosticators. The title of the thread is keys to winning yet you drone on about how our WRs and O-line suck so we are doomed. I am stunned you are actually a PSU supporter.

Generally speaking, we should be more critical of the team we watch weekly because we know their issues. Many here haven't watched more than a few minutes of Ohio State this year yet think they can evaluate it solely based on watching us play. That's not how it works

Defense

Offense
1. Do not, under any circumstance, turn the ball over;
2. Play a flawless game on special teams - no big plays for OSU, no missed FGs or shanked punts for PSU.

Generally speaking, we should be more critical of the team we watch weekly because we know their issues. Many here haven't watched more than a few minutes of Ohio State this year yet think they can evaluate it solely based on watching us play. That's not how it works
Does Penn State have any strengths? Apparently not.

...and a real long time poster here, since September 2023 with a total of 41 messages, mostly negative.

Hmmm..
Yeah this is suspicious. Probably same person with multiple screen names. Shows up here before a big game. Where was he prior to Delaware?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT