ADVERTISEMENT

Weird how none of the loudmouths can explain how PSU's Offense sucks, but they lead the Conference in Points Scored......

True. We see pretty much the same arguments every year. Team is winning but flaws are pointed out. O line and running game are struggling, lack of depth of quality deep threat receivers, poor tackling, giving up 3rd and long, etc. Some take criticism a bit too far. Others get irritated anytime any flaw is even discussed and the snide comments start flowing.

Then we get roughly 5-6 games into the season with OSU/ Michigan on deck. More concerns brought up. More “5-0” posts in response. We get the obligatory “they’re just holding the offense back for OSU and Michigan”. (If I had a dollar every time that was posted on this board. ;)).

We’ll see in a few weeks if this year is any different but I see a lot of the same concerns from last year with the O line and running game. That’s been a huge issue over the years in deciding these top tier games.

But it isn't the same as last year - PSU is averaging 195 YPG Rushing, leads the Conference in First Downs Gained (by a pretty wide margi), Time Of Possession (by a wide margin) and Scoring. Our 3rd Down Conversion PCT is around 50% and our 4th Down Conversion is 95% (on 11 attempts).... All of these things are drastically better than the last several years, but people keep saying they aren't which is BS. BTW, we lost a starting OG at the start of the season - Tengwell (had to retire from the sport).... then we lost a 2nd starting OG in NW game early who didn't return to game (but is apparently fine based on CJF's latest comments), but people expect this to have no effect. The numbers to date are damn impressive and lead the Conference in almost every major category including Points Scored and First Downs.... but people still bitch because most of them are clear trolls and not real PSU fans.

Reactions: hlstone
Except for ND, OSU has played a far easier schedule. The other three teams they played are ranked far below Illinois, Iowa and WVU. I mean FAR behind.
Ohio State's SOS so far is 51st. We're 96th. That's a huge gap.
I mean, I guess that's fair but Ohio State actually faced a legit test--we haven't. Didn't Illinois just get beat up by Purdue? Iowa's best win is...Iowa State. Not sure any of those teams are decent that Ohio State or us have played
Michigan's schedule's the worst so far though--no doubt about that.

But it isn't the same as last year - PSU is averaging 195 YPG Rushing, leads the Conference in First Downs Gained (by a pretty wide margi), Time Of Possession (by a wide margin) and Scoring. Our 3rd Down Conversion PCT is around 50% and our 4th Down Conversion is 95% (on 11 attempts).... All of these things are drastically better than the last several years, but people keep saying they aren't which is BS. BTW, we lost a starting OG at the start of the season - Tengwell (had to retire from the sport).... then we lost a 2nd starting OG in NW game early who didn't return to game (but is apparently fine based on CJF's latest comments), but people expect this to have no effect. The numbers to date are damn impressive and lead the Conference in almost every major category including Points Scored and First Downs.... but people still bitch because most of them are clear trolls and not real PSU fans.
I love the "not real PSU fans" bullshit.
The reality is not everyone has to blindly think we're great. The lack of explosive plays, even against Delaware, is problematic. Every sane individual sees this because sustaining 14 play drives against Ohio State or Michigan is way more difficult than Iowa, WVU, Illinois, NW or Delaware.
People can be happy we're 5-0 and still focused on "can we beat Michigan and Ohio State?"
The reality is you don't care if we beat them or not--you'll be thrilled at 10-2.

Reactions: bill114
Except for ND, OSU has played a far easier schedule. The other three teams theythey played are ranked far below Illinois, Iowa and WVU. I mean FAR behind.
And, ND should have beaten OSU; they outplayed them until the final 2 minutes. ND was constantly getting pressure on McCord with the 4 man rush, and he was rattled. Then the go to the "prevent defense" rushing 3 and the 20 yard pass or so gets completed to Egbuka on the 2 YL.

With the caliber of the WR's OSU has, they will eventually get open when you only rush 3 against a descent OL the Buckeyes have, and one of them did with the time McCord had. Prevent defense cost them the game.

Reactions: 81b&w
And, ND should have beaten OSU; they outplayed them until the final 2 minutes. ND was constantly getting pressure on McCord with the 4 man rush, and he was rattled. Then the go to the "prevent defense" rushing 3 and the 20 yard pass or so gets completed to Egbuka on the 2 YL.

With the caliber of the WR's OSU has, they will eventually get open when you only rush 3 against a descent OL the Buckeyes have, and one of them did with the time McCord had. Prevent defense cost them the game.
Wait, wait wait--Ohio State dominated the first half of that game. Dominated. ND came on strong in the second half but pretending ND should have easily won that game is laughable. They were two very comparable teams that if they play 10 times both probably win 5.

True. We see pretty much the same arguments every year. Team is winning but flaws are pointed out. O line and running game are struggling, lack of depth of quality deep threat receivers, poor tackling, giving up 3rd and long, etc. Some take criticism a bit too far. Others get irritated anytime any flaw is even discussed and the snide comments start flowing.

Then we get roughly 5-6 games into the season with OSU/ Michigan on deck. More concerns brought up. More “5-0” posts in response. We get the obligatory “they’re just holding the offense back for OSU and Michigan”. (If I had a dollar every time that was posted on this board. ;)).

We’ll see in a few weeks if this year is any different but I see a lot of the same concerns from last year with the O line and running game. That’s been a huge issue over the years in deciding these top tier games.
And nothing that said here will impact that either way. No one is proven right or wrong with their opinion because our opinions do not play a factor in the performance on Gameday

Some people get tired of the negativity, that's all they'd rather focus on the positive. It is Penn State loses one, those games? It's not gonna be because of any fans opinion on the message board.

And nothing that said here will impact that either way. No one is proven right or wrong with their opinion because our opinions do not play a factor in the performance on Gameday

Some people get tired of the negativity, that's all they'd rather focus on the positive. It is Penn State loses one, those games? It's not gonna be because of any fans opinion on the message board.

Right but why do those that aren't just pretending everything is perfect are constantly criticized? If you and others want to ignore valid concerns that's great until those that aren't are told they're not "real fans" or negative. It's not negative. All teams have concerns and issues that need resolved. Even Georgia.

Don’t question other posters about being “real fans”. They’re as much real fans as you and I are. Different opinions don’t make them trolls.

Stats are nice but not everything. The time of possession you bring up was roundly dismissed here in years past as “meaningless”. Now that PSU is doing well there, it’s suddenly a good stat again?

IMO, stats can be really misleading at this point of the season as most teams have played cupcakes.

The Big Ten comes down to Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. It’s how do those teams match up with each other that matters, (not who has the best time of possession or completion rate against Delaware/ Youngstown State/ Indiana).

Traditionally, these games tend to pivot a lot on ball control which means O line and running game. You need the ability to grind out a few first downs whether to keep a drive alive that ends in points rather than a punt, or to run down clock and control the game late. Generally speaking, that’s where PSU has failed over the years.

I still see those same concerns this year. That doesn’t mean PSU is guaranteed to lose these games, but it is a legitimate cause for concern and discussion.

Except for ND, OSU has played a far easier schedule. The other three teams they played are ranked far below Illinois, Iowa and WVU. I mean FAR behind.

Exactly, overall duhO$U's schedule is not stronger on an average per game basis - it does not explain how PSU can be out-stat'ing them in Scoring, First Downs, Time Of Possession. Margin Of Victory....... PSU is better than duhO$U in First Downs and Time of Possession by a wide, wide margin despite duhO$U playing tackling dummies for three-quarters of their schedule.

Exactly, overall duhO$U's schedule is not stronger on an average per game basis - it does not explain how PSU can be out-stat'ing them in Scoring, First Downs, Time Of Possession. Margin Of Victory....... PSU is better than duhO$U in First Downs and Time of Possession by a wide, wide margin despite duhO$U playing tackling dummies for three-quarters of their schedule.
Then we should beat them easily using your faulty logic or Franklin should be fired, right? Clearly we're superior when you pick a choose what matters.

Reactions: JimNazium

True, it won’t impact the games but fans can still discuss and debate their opinions. That’s the whole point of these boards.

You can still have a balanced discussion. Sure, some go too far in criticism while others go too far getting angry if even the slightest criticism is made. Just tune the extremes out.

IMO the team is doing better than I thought they would with a new, relatively inexperienced, QB. They’ve dominated more than I expected. I thought there’d be a few squeakers and more angina in some games this year.

That said, I still have concerns over their level of play for Ohio St and Michigan. Others may not, and that’s fine. We can all still nervously enjoy the OSU/ Michigan games in a few weeks and then yell at each other after at who was right. ;)

Don’t question other posters about being “real fans”. They’re as much real fans as you and I are. Different opinions don’t make them trolls.

Stats are nice but not everything. The time of possession you bring up was roundly dismissed here in years past as “meaningless”. Now that PSU is doing well there, it’s suddenly a good stat again?

IMO, stats can be really misleading at this point of the season as most teams have played cupcakes.

The Big Ten comes down to Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. It’s how do those teams match up with each other that matters, (not who has the best time of possession or completion rate against Delaware/ Youngstown State/ Indiana).

Traditionally, these games tend to pivot a lot on ball control which means O line and running game. You need the ability to grind out a few first downs whether to keep a drive alive that ends in points rather than a punt, or to run down clock and control the game late. Generally speaking, that’s where PSU has failed over the years.

I still see those same concerns this year. That doesn’t mean PSU is guaranteed to lose these games, but it is a legitimate cause for concern and discussion.

But wait, you said it the offensive problems were the same??? Now you say they aren't the same, but that doesn't matter??? Which is it? You're incorrect that PSU has struggled to sustain drives because of the running game - that simply isn't true. PSU's average gain per carry is down, but our rushing yards per game is up.... PSU leads the league in First Downs and Time of Possession. 9 of the FDs are by penalty, but of the remainder, 1/2 have come via the run. PSU has a 50% 3rd Down Conversion rate and a 95% 4th Down Conversion rate on 10/11 4th Down Conversions.... None of these stats point to an inability to sustain drives with short yardage runs or sustain drives period - all point to the opposite (i.e., ability to grind out long drives and score) and all are drastically improved from last several years contrary to your claims.

But wait, you said it the offensive problems were the same??? Now you say they aren't the same, but that doesn't matter??? Which is it? You're incorrect that PSU has struggled to sustain drives because of the running game - that simply isn't true. PSU's average gain per carry is down, but our rushing yards per game is up.... PSU leads the league in First Downs and Time of Possession. 9 of the FDs are by penalty, but of the remainder, 1/2 have come via the run. PSU has a 50% 3rd Down Conversion rate and a 95% 4th Down Conversion rate on 10/11 4th Down Conversions.... None of these stats point to an inability to sustain drives with short yardage runs or sustain drives period - all point to the opposite (i.e., ability to grind out long drives and score) and all are drastically improved from last several years contrary to your claims.
If you run the more more times because your defense is dominating offenses that are garbage of course you're going to have more rushing yards. That doesn't mean their aren't issued. YPC matter.

I bet Mike Elko wishes that he would have played aggressive defense against Notre Dame on 4th and 16 as well. Duke played aggressively 1st through 3rd down, and then only rushed 2/3 on 4th down allowing Hartman the opportunity to scramble for 17 to get a first down.

Reactions: psu00
If you run the more more times because your defense is dominating offenses that are garbage of course you're going to have more rushing yards. That doesn't mean their aren't issued. YPC matter.

Oh the defense allowed PSU to be leading the Conference by wide margins in both First Downs and Time of Possession (as well as scoring)??? You're such an f'ing jackass, it isn't even funny.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
We need more points to beat them , period. However those points are earned doesn't matter to me. If you recall last year osu had a pick six deep in our territory.

I like explosive plays but I like wins the most. And no matter what we say here will not change anything.
The point of the previous post is that if the average depth of throw is 6.3yds, meaning PSU doesn't stretch the field, then teams with better athletes and defenses, will do a much better job defending the smaller box the PSU offense is playing in, meaning, the dink and dunk, 9min drives are a lot less likely to be successful.

Deep threats open the run game and a strong run game opens the deep threats - if you have the personnel to take advantage, of course.

Honest question, do you think PSU has an OL that is going to control the line of scrimmage against OSU/UM to facilitate methodical 15-play drives and own the ToP.

Reading this debate is mind-numbing. It's like watching a political debate where both sides are polarized and won't budge an inch or acknowledge any gray area...well, here's the gray...
It is great that PSU is 5-0, and should be undefeated going into tOSU. The margins of victory have been impressive, but it's also obvious that the PSU offense is not clicking at a high level against inferior defenses, and unless something changes, it's definitely a concern for upcoming games against tOSU/scUM.

The point of the previous post is that if the average depth of throw is 6.3yds, meaning PSU doesn't stretch the field, then teams with better athletes and defenses, will do a much better job defending the smaller box the PSU offense is playing in, meaning, the dink and dunk, 9min drives are a lot less likely to be successful.

Deep threats open the run game and a strong run game opens the deep threats - if you have the personnel to take advantage, of course.

Honest question, do you think PSU has an OL that is going to control the line of scrimmage against OSU/UM to facilitate methodical 15-play drives and own the ToP.

Reading this debate is mind-numbing. It's like watching a political debate where both sides are polarized and won't budge an inch or acknowledge any gray area...well, here's the gray...
It is great that PSU is 5-0, and should be undefeated going into tOSU. The margins of victory have been impressive, but it's also obvious that the PSU offense is not clicking at a high level against inferior defenses, and unless something changes, it's definitely a concern for upcoming games against tOSU/scUM.

What is mind-numbing is that the people who complained about PSU's inability to sustain long drives last year (when PSU was leading the Conference in explosive plays and quick-strike TD drives) are the same people that are complaining about PSU's ball-control offense that is leading the Conference in SCORING (not just TOP and First Downs). It's clearly damned if you do, damned if you don't with the always-negative, loudmouth poser-trolls - go figure! The complaint this year is that PSU's Offense is not "explosive enough" - the diametric opposite of last year's complaint! Again, go figure.

Oh the defense allowed PSU to be leading the Conference by wide margins in both First Downs and Time of Possession (as well as scoring)??? You're such an f'ing jackass, it isn't even funny.
Right didn't I say the defense was dominating?

BTW, if PSU's Offense has been so mundane (you completely leave out the importance of "execution" in sustaining long, ball-control drives) - if what PSU is doing offensively is so average, how is it that they lead half of the major offensive stats including the two most important stats, Scoring and First Downs. The overall objective of the Offense is to score as many points as possible, but the Objective at the start of a new series is to get another First Down - to this point of the season, PSU's Offense is accomplishing both of these objectives better than any other Conference team, but you seem to blithely skip over that FACT.

What is mind-numbing is that the people who complained about PSU's inability to sustain long drives last year (when PSU was leading the Conference in explosive plays and quick-strike TD drives) are the same people that are complaining about PSU's ball-control offense that is leading the Conference in SCORING (not just TOP and First Downs). It's clearly damned if you do, damned if you don't with the always-negative, loudmouth poser-trolls - go figure! The complaint this year is that PSU's Offense is not "explosive enough" - the diametric opposite of last year's complaint! Again, go figure.
ok. I mean, you've watched the games. In past years, the OL was a challenge, but PSU had home run threats and they lived/died off that. This year, it appears that PSU lacks the explosive/home run capability. So far, they have generally struggled early and then pulled away late. Might that be because they've been able to wear down less talented opponents.
----
No one knows how the games will play out, and how teams will match up in the end, but you don't need to be an expert to see very clearly that the PSU offense does not look the part of a contender. Let's hope that the 6.3yd depth of throw is Yurcich managing a 1st year starter early in the year and we start to see that open up, because if a good defense only needs to defend 15-20yds, it will be a long day.

I implore you to watch the Yurcich media session that was posted yesterday where he flat out said multiple times that the explosive play situation currently is 'Not satisfactory' and must get better. He went so far as to say the OL has to do a better job getting off their first blocks and to the second level....that the offense moving forward will need to be more explosive. Now, you can name call like a child and throw all these stats out you want, but MY literally said what they need moving forward. In other words, the offense needs more balance and not play in a tight box as it has been.

Reactions: Jerry and heckmans
BTW, if PSU's Offense has been so mundane (you completely leave out the importance of "execution" in sustaining long, ball-control drives) - if what PSU is doing offensively is so average, how is it that they lead half of the major offensive stats including the two most important stats, Scoring and First Downs. The overall objective of the Offense is to score as many points as possible, but the Objective at the start of a new series is to get another First Down - to this point of the season, PSU's Offense is accomplishing both of these objectives better than any other Conference team, but you seem to blithely skip over that FACT.
Let's take a deep breath. The veracity with which you are asserting PSU's offensive prowess is odd. If you are correct, there is nothing to worry about and all will be well in Columbus. I'll just come back to my original question that I don't believe you addressed.

Do you think PSU has an OL that is going to control the line of scrimmage against OSU/UM to facilitate methodical 15-play drives and own the ToP?

Last edited:
I implore you to watch the Yurcich media session that was posted yesterday where he flat out said multiple times that the explosive play situation currently is 'Not satisfactory' and must get better. He went so far as to say the OL has to do a better job getting off their first blocks and to the second level....that the offense moving forward will need to be more explosive. Now, you can name call like a child and throw all these stats out you want, but MY literally said what they need moving forward. In other words, the offense needs more balance and not play in a tight box as it has been.
What does Yurich know? Nothing compared to the biggest homer to ever exist. The offense is elite and the lack of explosive plays proves that.

ok. I mean, you've watched the games. In past years, the OL was a challenge, but PSU had home run threats and they lived/died off that. This year, it appears that PSU lacks the explosive/home run capability. So far, they have generally struggled early and then pulled away late. Might that be because they've been able to wear down less talented opponents.
----
No one knows how the games will play out, and how teams will match up in the end, but you don't need to be an expert to see very clearly that the PSU offense does not look the part of a contender. Let's hope that the 6.3yd depth of throw is Yurcich managing a 1st year starter early in the year and we start to see that open up, because if a good defense only needs to defend 15-20yds, it will be a long day.

So you're saying Iowa is not a good defensive team? I would vehemently disagree with that claim.

Let's take a deep breath. The veracity with which you are asserting PSU's offensive prowess is odd. If you are correct, there is nothing to worry about and all be well in Columbus. I'll just come back to my original question that I don't believe you addressed.

Do you think PSU has an OL that is going to control the line of scrimmage against OSU/UM to facilitate methodical 15-play drives and own the ToP?
Odd and psychotic. I mean to think that over-the-top name calling and nastiness comes out of most of his posts over PSU football and those who have differing viewpoints. Too bad for him.

Reactions: LandoComando
So you're saying Iowa is not a good defensive team? I would vehemently disagree with that claim.
The combination of Iowa's offense being one of the worst in the nation plus us having an elite defense gave their D no chance as they spent all game on the field because we forced three and outs.

Look at the scores at the half. We eventually pull away because our defense dominates to the point the other team's defense fades.

enjoy your statistical "dominance", heard this same stuff last year before psu got exposed in ann arbor...your offensive line is average at best, and i tend to think it's actually below average..your interior defensive line is light in the a@@ and won't stop UM from running between the tackles...your qb shows great promise, but still looks like a first year starter, and he's basically a pylon in the pocket..i originally thought you would expose osu, but starting to think it may be the other way around, lol..

Let's take a deep breath. The veracity with which you are asserting PSU's offensive prowess is odd. If you are correct, there is nothing to worry about and all be well in Columbus. I'll just come back to my original question that I don't believe you addressed.

BTW, nowhere did I say "there is nothing to worry about" or that the Offense can't improve - nice try at putting words in my mouth. On the contrary, it is you who is trying to characterize the Offense as being awful and one of the worst in the league from your incessant, repetitively negative statements WHEN THE POLAR OPPOSITE IS TRUE from a statistics standpoint - PSU is the highest scoring offense per game in the Conference to this point of the season, so they must be doing something right! From your comments, you would think our Offense is putting up Iowa-like numbers or something. It is you who is giving the Offense zero credit whatsoever when they are leading the Conference in scoring - not me saying there aren't things they can improve upon.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
BTW, nowhere did I say "there is nothing to worry about" or that the Offense can't improve - nice try at putting words in my mouth. On the contrary, it is you who is trying to characterize the Offense as being awful and one of the worst in the league from your incessant, repetitively negative statements WHEN THE POLAR OPPOSITE IS TRUE from a statistics standpoint - PSU is the highest scoring offense per game in the Conference to this point of the season, so they must be doing something right! From your comments, you would think our Offense is putting up Iowa-like numbers or something. It is you who is giving the Offense zero credit whatsoever when they are leading the Conference in scoring - not me saying there aren't things they can improve upon.
is this clown one of your board regulars?...and i notice he dodged your question, lol

Have you seen the O/D rankings of the teams PSU has played not including Delaware? WVU is the best team so far. Illinois, Iowa, and NW are not very good teams and yet PSU has no big plays but for the KLS pass play in the very first series. Beau and Potts have the longest runs. Allar’s average pass is less than 7 yards. Worst in the NCAA power 5. Where’s the big arm? Issues are the same as in previous years. That’s what we are irritated about. We’ll see what three weeks of O$U prep delivers. Hope I’m wrong!
Have you seen the teams Michigan has played? Even worse.

Maybe this has been by design in the first five games, but our running plays and blocking schemes have been so rudimentary; it's basically just been a bunch of runs up the middle against teams that are stacking the box. We have run very few plays around the ends, and there never seems to be any intricate blocking by the line, like pulling. Also, I've always thought that it is more difficult to run well when you play with one back and the qb always is in the shotgun.

I know that it appears as if Singleton is not as explosive as last season, but it still seems like he has a burst when he catches passes in the flat and goes wide. Yet, we're using him like the Steelers used Bettis.
Yeah I really hope that we open up the playbook but its concerning to me that we even struggled in the run game vs. NW, the last place run D in the big ten. I dont care if they are stacking the box, if you cant run vs NW you're not going to be able to run the ball vs OSU or Mich even with a normal base defense.

Reactions: Jerry
YPG rushing? How about yards/carry? Not good.

Reactions: GregInPitt
1.5 yds or so after the line of scrimmage till a running play has first contact. Good for 93rd in the country heading into the NW game. Around 96th in yds gained after first contact. Somewhere around 115 in chunk plays.
#10 doesn't have a run over 20 yards. Sky isn't falling, but certainly some things to clean up heading into the 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: bison13
Let's take a deep breath. The veracity with which you are asserting PSU's offensive prowess is odd. If you are correct, there is nothing to worry about and all will be well in Columbus. I'll just come back to my original question that I don't believe you addressed.

They either do or don't. His opinion on it is irrelevant to their performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT