ADVERTISEMENT

Weird how none of the loudmouths can explain how PSU's Offense sucks, but they lead the Conference in Points Scored......

Different year. Last year means nothing.

My point was only that for anyone pumping up UM's stats, who they have played has to be mentioned for context. ECU, UNLV, BGSU, Rutgers and Nebraska. When Rutgers is the BEST team you've played, that certainly will skew your stats.
Michigan is better than us right now. I dont think anyone would disagree with that. We just need to be better than them on November 11th.

Okay, I'll play.

What makes you think Michigan is better than PSU? And definitely so?

Looking at schedules and results, which team has the better resume'?
They went to the playoff last year, pounded us last year and brought back a strong majority of their production from last year. They have pounded all of the crappy teams that they played. Not sure why it matters whos had better playoff resume up to this point.

Okay, I'll play.

What makes you think Michigan is better than PSU? And definitely so?

Looking at schedules and results, which team has the better resume'?
They’d be favored over us today on a neutral…and in a market as efficient as college football, it’s a pretty good indicator. However, we just need to beat them once, and have the advantage of being at home.

The point of the previous post is that if the average depth of throw is 6.3yds, meaning PSU doesn't stretch the field, then teams with better athletes and defenses, will do a much better job defending the smaller box the PSU offense is playing in, meaning, the dink and dunk, 9min drives are a lot less likely to be successful.

Deep threats open the run game and a strong run game opens the deep threats - if you have the personnel to take advantage, of course.

Honest question, do you think PSU has an OL that is going to control the line of scrimmage against OSU/UM to facilitate methodical 15-play drives and own the ToP.

Reading this debate is mind-numbing. It's like watching a political debate where both sides are polarized and won't budge an inch or acknowledge any gray area...well, here's the gray...
It is great that PSU is 5-0, and should be undefeated going into tOSU. The margins of victory have been impressive, but it's also obvious that the PSU offense is not clicking at a high level against inferior defenses, and unless something changes, it's definitely a concern for upcoming games against tOSU/scUM.
OMG ....write a book on Offense... try to sell it. 😂

Right but why do those that aren't just pretending everything is perfect are constantly criticized? If you and others want to ignore valid concerns that's great until those that aren't are told they're not "real fans" or negative. It's not negative. All teams have concerns and issues that need resolved. Even Georgia.
You have convinced me you're not really a PS fan. You come on here to argue with people. Here's a good one for you .... the sky is blue

Reactions: summitlion1
You have convinced me you're not really a PS fan. You come on here to argue with people. Here's a good one for you .... the sky is blue
If you don't think I'm a Penn State that's you're own bad read. I agree with a lot of things said here but don't believe we're perfect. We're not. Singleton has been a huge disappointment. 3.8/carry. There's no debating that other than blind support.

If you don't think I'm a Penn State that's you're own bad read. I agree with a lot of things said here but don't believe we're perfect. We're not. Singleton has been a huge disappointment. 3.8/carry. There's no debating that other than blind support.
Wow Lando is actually admitting that we are not perfect. Whst is happening!?!?! Finally!?!?!!

TOP and 1st downs are great but a large part of these is because we don't create explosive plays. Its going to be much harder to drive on OSU or Michigan without creating any explosive plays.

Do you think a recipe for success is to drive 80 yards in 15 plays every time vs OSU and Mich? Of course not. We will need some explosive plays to beat them, and we just havent done that this season.
Hey I get your point but IF we are able to put together 15 play 80 yard drives against Michigan and OSU and our defense plays its typical game I think we come out on top big play or not. In a sense the offense is the defense's best friend. Mix in a pick and a FF in enemy territory that is a formula for success. Heck, two years ago Michigan was almost identical. Everybody said they didn't have the explosiveness to handle OSU. They would win games 31-14, 34-14, etc. but they had the most efficient in control offense in the conference. In the second half of the game in Ann Arbor in the snow, they eventually wore down the Buckeyes and the game got out of hand. I'm not suggesting we are that good and I do recognize this comment is based on a very big IF but I do think there is a way to win these games without 80 yards runs and long bombs.

Hey I get your point but IF we are able to put together 15 play 80 yard drives against Michigan and OSU and our defense plays its typical game I think we come out on top big play or not. In a sense the offense is the defense's best friend. Mix in a pick and a FF in enemy territory that is a formula for success. Heck, two years ago Michigan was almost identical. Everybody said they didn't have the explosiveness to handle OSU. They would win games 31-14, 34-14, etc. but they had the most efficient in control offense in the conference. In the second half of the game in Ann Arbor in the snow, they eventually wore down the Buckeyes and the game got out of hand. I'm not suggesting we are that good and I do recognize this comment is based on a very big IF but I do think there is a way to win these games without 80 yards runs and long bombs.
We are not going to put together 15 play 80 yard drives vs OSU. Im not expecting too many points vs the Buckeyes. I think our D needs to play great for us to win, in a score like 17-14 or somewhere around that.

This is still going on? 🙄
Probably will unil we play Ohio State
Then it will escalate regardless of the outcome
If we win, people will claims others are wrong not comprehending what the word "concern" means
If we lose, that same group will then accuse those that were concerned of somehow being happy we lost

Michigan is better than us right now. I dont think anyone would disagree with that. We just need to be better than them on November 11th.
I would argue that it is impossible to know if Michigan is better than us right now because we haven't played. I think both teams have dismantled lesser foes. PSU stats are not quite as impressive as Michigan's but they have played slightly tougher teams.

But you are correct that we will find out in Nov.

Both teams have about the same OL, and DL lines, along with RB's from last year. Allar is the difference make. However, UM's two RB's ran for about 335 yards against us last year, while Allen and Singleton rushed for "35."

That is where the trouble lies again this year. We have to fix that running game and DL before Nov. 11.

We are not going to put together 15 play 80 yard drives vs OSU. Im not expecting too many points vs the Buckeyes. I think our D needs to play great for us to win, in a score like 17-14 or somewhere around that.
I generally agree. My point to the original post was you can win this game without splash plays. In fact IF and that is a big IF (probably not doable) you COULD stack 15 play 80 yard drives on either of these teams I like our chances! Do I think we are capable of that? No. BUT I do think we can win either and potentially both of these games with or without 75 yard runs and 60 yard pass plays.

I generally agree. My point to the original post was you can win this game without splash plays. In fact IF and that is a big IF (probably not doable) you COULD stack 15 play 80 yard drives on either of these teams I like our chances! Do I think we are capable of that? No. BUT I do think we can win either and potentially both of these games with or without 75 yard runs and 60 yard pass plays.
But I think that's the point...against OSU and Michigan it's not realistic to expect us (or anyone)to sustain those types of drives. Which means we need to either create short fields with the D and ST and/or explosive plays.

I'm just talking about 20+ yard plays. We are tied for dead last in the nation.

2016-2019, 2022 - "we can't grind out drives and burn clock. We have to be able to do this." While doing well at explosive plays.

Today - "we aren't getting explosive plays. It's going to kill us down the road." While grinding out drives and burning clock.

It's rare that any one team can do both very well. Usually if they do, they are playoff bound. We aren't perfect, but hardly any team is right now. OSU has stacked top 3 recruiting classes for a decade and they have as many concerns as we do. Bama as well.

Reactions: royboy
2016-2019, 2022 - "we can't grind out drives and burn clock. We have to be able to do this." While doing well at explosive plays.

Today - "we aren't getting explosive plays. It's going to kill us down the road." While grinding out drives and burning clock.

It's rare that any one team can do both very well. Usually if they do, they are playoff bound. We aren't perfect, but hardly any team is right now. OSU has stacked top 3 recruiting classes for a decade and they have as many concerns as we do. Bama as well.
Georgia's a great example of a team that can do both BUT, to your point, if not asking to be in the top 30 in the country or anything crazy. We just need to be average.

Georgia's a great example of a team that can do both BUT, to your point, if not asking to be in the top 30 in the country or anything crazy. We just need to be average.
Exactly, we are tied for dead last in the nation in plays of 20+ yards. Thats crazy. Top 30 seems very reasonable to me as well.

So, one team has been capable of this over the past 2-3 years. And truthfully, their '21 team wasn't very explosive the best I can remember and they haven't been a strong running team that grinds clock this year.

I get the point of it, but it's just not likely to improve greatly in all categories. Our defense and grinding have been high end and the rest below average. Just reality.

So, one team has been capable of this over the past 2-3 years. And truthfully, their '21 team wasn't very explosive the best I can remember and they haven't been a strong running team that grinds clock this year.

I get the point of it, but it's just not likely to improve greatly in all categories. Our defense and grinding have been high end and the rest below average. Just reality.
Michigan is capable
And a lot of teams are. Not everyone is USC. We won't bear Ohio State or Michigan without multiple big plays unless our D and ST give us an insane advantage with field position.
I also get what your saying but we can't be this reliant on long sustained drives against better teams. They'll force a mistake or make a play.

Michigan is capable
And a lot of teams are. Not everyone is USC. We won't bear Ohio State or Michigan without multiple big plays unless our D and ST give us an insane advantage with field position.
I also get what your saying but we can't be this reliant on long sustained drives against better teams. They'll force a mistake or make a play.
Wow I'm agreeing with Lando for once. Feels nice. Not many of us left who critique the team ever.

Michigan is capable

Michigan perhaps yes. They seem complete. Biggest problem they have is they wet the bed at the big dance, but they at least get there.

Other teams? Not so much. I can't name another that is good at big plays and grinding clock.

I'm not arguing that we will beat OSU nor Michigan without some big plays. I'm only pointing out that a limited # of teams possess the ability to do both.

Michigan perhaps yes. They seem complete. Biggest problem they have is they wet the bed at the big dance, but they at least get there.

Other teams? Not so much. I can't name another that is good at big plays and grinding clock.

I'm not arguing that we will beat OSU nor Michigan without some big plays. I'm only pointing out that a limited # of teams possess the ability to do both.
Georgia, Bama, Michigan, FSU.

Texas Oklahoma and even Ohio State have shown signs of doing both. I'm happy with the ball control offense but even in that the lack of chunk plays is still concerning. I want to see multiple big plays this weekend. No excuse against UMass not to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT