ADVERTISEMENT

Also not discussed is the fact that PSU has the #1 "Red Zone Offense" in the Conference

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
A 93% Overall Conversion Rate (26-28), with 22 TDs (13 via the run, 9 via pass), a 79% TD Conversion Rate and 4-6 FG Attempts, zero INTs/Fumbles and zero turned over on downs.

scUM is second with an 82% Overall Conversion Rate (18-22), with 17 TDs (10 via run, 7 via pass), a 77% TD Conversion Rate and 1-2 FG Attempts, one possession turned over via INT and 2 possessions turned over on Downs.

duhO$U is 13th of 14 b1g Teams in Red Zone Offense with a 77% Overall Conversion Rate (10-13), with only 7 TDs, a 54% TD Conversion Rate and 3-3 FG Attempts and the remaining 3 possessions turned over on Downs.

All the loudmouths want to talk about what coaches have to say and anyone who knows doodles about coaching Offensive football will tell you how critically important Red Zone Offense performance is - especially converting TDs in the Red Zone (much easier to move the ball with a big field and exponentially harder to produce yards and TDs in Red Zone).

PSU has the #1 Rated Red Zone Offense in the league producing 30% more TDs than the next closest team and the highest TD Conversion Ratio (22-26) in the league.

duhO$U's Red Zone Offense has been awful - converting only 7 of 13 trips into TDs and turning the ball over on Downs on almost a quarter of their Red Zone Possessions.

Again, any Offensive Coach will tell you how important Red Zone Offense is to winning games - PSU has the best Red Zone Offense in the Conference to-date by a wide margin but the loudmouth always-negative trolls will tell you how PSU's Offense sucks when they lead the league in probably the most important Offensive stat of them all - Red Zone Offense. BTW, PSU converted 60% of their league leading 22 Red Zone TDs via the run, but we can't produce running yards when we absolutely need to have them according to the loudmouth, always-negative trolls..... LMFAO - the Red Zone statistics clearly say otherwise.

A 93% Overall Conversion Rate (26-28), with 22 TDs (13 via the run, 9 via pass), a 79% TD Conversion Rate and 4-6 FG Attempts, zero INTs/Fumbles and zero turned over on downs.

scUM is second with an 82% Overall Conversion Rate (18-22), with 17 TDs (10 via run, 7 via pass), a 77% TD Conversion Rate and 1-2 FG Attempts, one possession turned over via INT and 2 possessions turned over on Downs.

duhO$U is 13th of 14 b1g Teams in Red Zone Offense with a 77% Overall Conversion Rate (10-13), with only 7 TDs, a 54% TD Conversion Rate and 3-3 FG Attempts and the remaining 3 possessions turned over on Downs.

All the loudmouths want to talk about what coaches have to say and anyone who knows doodles about coaching Offensive football will tell you how critically important Red Zone Offense performance is - especially converting TDs in the Red Zone (much easier to move the ball with a big field and exponentially harder to produce yards and TDs in Red Zone).

PSU has the #1 Rated Red Zone Offense in the league producing 30% more TDs than the next closest team and the highest TD Conversion Ratio (22-26) in the league.

duhO$U's Red Zone Offense has been awful - converting only 7 of 13 trips into TDs and turning the ball over on Downs on almost a quarter of their Red Zone Possessions.

Again, any Offensive Coach will tell you how important Red Zone Offense is to winning games - PSU has the best Red Zone Offense in the Conference to-date by a wide margin but the loudmouth always-negative trolls will tell you how PSU's Offense sucks when they lead the league in probably the most important Offensive stat of them all - Red Zone Offense. BTW, PSU converted 60% of their league leading 22 Red Zone TDs via the run, but we can't produce running yards when we absolutely need to have them according to the loudmouth, always-negative trolls..... LMFAO - the Red Zone statistics clearly say otherwise.
PSU is winning the best stat, scoring more points in actual games than their opponents. It's unfortunate that they can't win the imaginary games, but I'm hoping they do better in fantasy land soon.

Thi$ ha$ been talked about. Ha$n’t it?

Very good stat

The proportion of posts complaining about the "loudmouths complaining that PSU sucks" vs. actual posts I see saying that the offense sucks is quite skewed.

There you go scUM douchie, when your poser-troll bullshit is exposed resort to lame bullshit posts like this... Yea, there hasn't been an incessant, always negative posts demeaning and complaining about the PSU Offense from the same group of posters... if you say so scUM boy - this is nearly as entertaining as your repeated claims that Avante's catch in the '05 game was legal under actual NCAA Rules rather than the cheating Referine Manual.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
There you go scUM douchie, when your poser-troll bullshit is exposed resort to lame bullshit posts like this... Yea, there hasn't been an incessant, always negative posts demeaning and complaining about the PSU Offense from the same group of posters... if you say so scUM boy - this is nearly as entertaining as your repeated claims that Avante's catch in the '95 game was legal under actual NCAA Rules rather than the cheating Referine Manual.
Yeah you're not at all insane

1. You seem to be the biggest loudmouth.

2. Anyone can see the offense struggles. Even the coaches have admitted it.

3. 63 of the points were against a D1AA team.

4. Psu has depth. They eventually wear teams down. Without looking anything up I would bet most of the points were in the second half of games.

5. Psu has a great defense which helps the offense. Offense gets more opportunities and better field position. This defense also produces turnovers.

6. The one thing psu offense has done really well is not turn the ball over.

Last edited:
There you go scUM douchie, when your poser-troll bullshit is exposed resort to lame bullshit posts like this... Yea, there hasn't been an incessant, always negative posts demeaning and complaining about the PSU Offense from the same group of posters... if you say so scUM boy - this is nearly as entertaining as your repeated claims that Avante's catch in the '95 game was legal under actual NCAA Rules rather than the cheating Referine Manual.
Honest question. How old are you,bushwood?

• Haha
Reactions: GregInPitt
Avant's catch was in 2005 Bushie (I'd know, since I'm obviously a die-hard Michigan fan).

In the real world, adults can be a fan/alum of a team, and still offer some insight on said team that isn't 100% over-the-top positive. But as always, you've definitely earned your Merit Badge in PSU Fandom.

The proportion of posts complaining about the "loudmouths complaining that PSU sucks" vs. actual posts I see saying that the offense sucks is quite skewed.
concern = sucks...apparently.
Noting that the O doesn't look like it's really clicking = sucks.
Noting that the O is only playing on 20 yds of the field = sucks
Not having 100% blind excitement as a fan = sucks
Weird

Last edited:
Reactions: WPTLION

This makes perfect sense since the PSU offense has only been playing on 20yds of the field for 5 games now. Lots of reps.

Goes to show that snapping under center with a Tush Push or T Formation works. I'm glad Yurcich incorporates more than just a shot gun in his offense unlike his predecessors.

Sure enough, some of the usual nay-sayers show up to repeat again that they are concerned. And how dare facts are used that counter their concerns.

And, oh, they have concerns. Have they mentioned that?

Did you notice the same tired claim that PSU's League-leading numbers are the result of schedule when PSU has played an equal or better schedule to date relative to the rest of the Conference? IOW, only PSU's numbers have to be discounted for schedule despite the fact that they're better than a team like scUM's numbers put up against even weaker competition???

• Love
This makes perfect sense since the PSU offense has only been playing on 20yds of the field for 5 games now. Lots of reps.

That's utter bullshit - how much you want to bet that PSU doesn't lead the league in 10+ play drives?

For the record(when I heard it I didn't believe it) the PSU Red Zone Defense ranks 124th allowing scores on all 7 trips. I'm not saying the D sucks, just an interesting stat.

That's utter bullshit - how much you want to bet that PSU doesn't lead the league in 10+ play drives?
1. You understand that because you have chosen to so aggressively die on this hill, you are going to get challenged on everything you post, right?
2. I said nothing about 10+ play drives. I correctly noted that the PSU O has been playing in a 20yd box for 5 games now. There seems to be no deep threat so Defenses only have to defend 20yds, which, you might remember is the same size as the Red Zone. And because you love stats so much, here's one: Through 5 games, PSU has only 12 plays of over 20 yds. That ranks PSU 129 out of 133 teams.
Hence, PSU has been running a redzone offense and essentially playing against redzone defenses for 5 games, so it would make sense that PSU is excelling in the Redzone. They got 97 reps in the Iowa game alone. You can't simulate that in practice.

Reactions: LandoComando
For the record(when I heard it I didn't believe it) the PSU Red Zone Defense ranks 124th allowing scores on all 7 trips. I'm not saying the D sucks, just an interesting stat.
Am I understanding you correctly that, through 5 games, PSU has only allowed opponents into the Redzone 7 times? If so, that's pretty amazing.

Am I understanding you correctly that, through 5 games, PSU has only allowed opponents into the Redzone 7 times? If so, that's pretty amazing.

Two of them were FGs, so the proper way to evaluate is that PSU has given up 41 Redzone points (8.2 ppg) which basically accounts for 100% of the points they've surrendered - which is not the worst in the league.

That would be the accurate takeaway there IMO
The announcers on Saturday kind of made a big deal out of the fact the D was giving up 100% scoring in the red zone. The fact they weren't smart enough to pick up on the low red zone trip number was kind of surprising.

Yurcich is calling games from the box this season. With a first-time starting quarterback in Drew Allar, some hiccups along the way were inevitable as the offense gels and develops. But despite the 5-0 start and average of 40.6 points per game, Penn State ranks 95th in yards per play (5.34) and 124th in explosive play rate (9.5 percent), which TruMedia defines as rushes of 12-plus yards and completions of 16-plus yards.
“It’s a big concern with me right now and to us as an entire staff,” Yurcich said of the timing between Allar and an evolving receiving corps. “We’ve gotta remedy that fast. We’ve gotta be on point with our landmarks and depths of routes and our timing. That is something we’re going to address, and that is a big issue we have to clean up.”
Running back Nicholas Singleton hasn’t rushed for more than 80 yards in a game and ranks 29th in the Big Ten in yards per carry, a development that seemed unfathomable after how his freshman season ended.
by Audrey Snyder, The Athletic 10/5/2023

1. You understand that because you have chosen to so aggressively die on this hill, you are going to get challenged on everything you post, right?
2. I said nothing about 10+ play drives. I correctly noted that the PSU O has been playing in a 20yd box for 5 games now. There seems to be no deep threat so Defenses only have to defend 20yds, which, you might remember is the same size as the Red Zone. And because you love stats so much, here's one: Through 5 games, PSU has only 12 plays of over 20 yds. That ranks PSU 129 out of 133 teams.
Hence, PSU has been running a redzone offense and essentially playing against redzone defenses for 5 games, so it would make sense that PSU is excelling in the Redzone. They got 97 reps in the Iowa game alone. You can't simulate that in practice.

Got it, so you're saying duhO$U being 13th of 14 b1g teams in Red Zone Offense - converting only 50% of trips into TDs and turning it over on Downs on a quarter of their trips is not a sign of offensive deficiencies because they're averaging 7.1 yards per play (best in the league)??? LMFAO, I know of no coach which would make such a claim regarding duhO$U's abysmal Red Zone Offense numbers!

Reactions: royboy
The announcers on Saturday kind of made a big deal out of the fact the D was giving up 100% scoring in the red zone. The fact they weren't smart enough to pick up on the low red zone trip number was kind of surprising.
I don't expect much for crews working on the BTN.

Or how many were FGs and not Touchdowns and how many came in the 4th quarter after 1st team is sitting.

Got it, so you're saying duhO$U being 13th of 14 b1g teams in Red Zone Offense - converting only 50% of trips into TDs and turning it over on Downs on a quarter of their trips is not a sign of offensive deficiencies because they're averaging 7.1 yards per play (best in the league)??? LMFAO, I know of no coach which would make such a claim regarding duhO$U's abysmal Red Zone Offense numbers!
I never mentioned tOSU. I only mentioned PSU

I'm dying on this hill, too. The constant negativity from posters claiming not to have blue and white glasses and who pretend they are objective should be singing from the rooftops about these offensive stats.

The whiners can't have it both ways.

They all sound like Herbstreit and the "eye test". Complain all you want about how you feel about the allegedly broken PSU offense, but the team did not struggle or lose in Champagne or against Iowa. The stats show the O leading in many categories. Any objective view would not dismiss this at this juncture.

The cacophony of the naysayers on this thread is ridiculous. If everyone can raise post after post about the same PSU complaints...O line, lack of explosive plays, WRs, etc... then it goes the other way, too.

Keep in mind we have a sophomore first year starter who has done about as good as we could have asked for 5 games in. They now have 3 weeks to take the next step if they want to go from top 10 team to CFP team.

Last edited:
You presume, however, that PSU has not wanted to play in that 20 yard box. Franklin made it abundantly clear after Illinois and Iowa that the name of the game is zero turnovers and to not get bored or impatient with 4 yards and a cloud of dust.

There is no doubt that PSU needs to stretch the field IF necessary in 2 big games. However, they have 3 weeks to tweak that. We forget the #2 receiver has been out. We also have no idea schematically what they have chosen and why.

If PSU beats OSU running the same types of plays, who gives a rat's behind how they did it? This hyperbolic view that the offense is horrible is just plain wrong.

You presume, however, that PSU has not wanted to play in that 20 yard box. Franklin made it abundantly clear after Illinois and Iowa that the name of the game is zero turnovers and to not get bored or impatient with 4 yards and a cloud of dust.

There is no doubt that PSU needs to stretch the field IF necessary in 2 big games. However, they have 3 weeks to tweak that. We forget the #2 receiver has been out. We also have no idea schematically what they have chosen and why.

If PSU beats OSU running the same types of plays, who gives a rat's behind how they did it? This hyperbolic view that the offense is horrible is just plain wrong.
To be clear:
1. I never said the offense was horrible.
2. I, and some others, noted that the O doesn't look crisp and is not stretching the field and that is a "cause for concern against better talent/teams"
3. It doesn't take a high Football IQ to understand that it's easier to defend 20 yds than the entire field.
4. If PSU, which has the lowest yds per attempt (6.3) in FBS, has intentionally played on a short field for 5 games, and is all of a sudden going to flip a switch and start airing it out, then Franklin and Yurcich are evil geniuses. I don't think you could find an instance of this in the history of CFB.
5. Finally, please understand what is happening here. Some board members have expressed concern on parts of the offense. In 2 threads, 1 poster starting calling everyone with concerns names, and has been absolutely apoplectic about how the PSU offense is top notch, no concerns, "Look at the stats!"....well...not the inconvenient stats. His position and temperament has been over the top and so it has garnered an over the top response. It's a little bit of sport, TBH.
----
The truth is that none of us know what the 2nd half of the season will bring against tOSU and scUM. Thus far, the defense has been very good and has put the offense in a position to score lots of points, but it's completely irrational, to simply look at stats. Anyone with eyes that watched the first 5 games can see that the offense does not look like it will fare well against more talented teams. Will that change? who knows? Are Yurcich/Franklin evil geniuses? Perhaps. We Are!

Reactions: lazydave841
To be clear:
1. I never said the offense was horrible.
2. I, and some others, noted that the O doesn't look crisp and is not stretching the field and that is a "cause for concern against better talent/teams"
3. It doesn't take a high Football IQ to understand that it's easier to defend 20 yds than the entire field.
4. If PSU, which has the lowest yds per attempt (6.3) in FBS, has intentionally played on a short field for 5 games, and is all of a sudden going to flip a switch and start airing it out, then Franklin and Yurcich are evil geniuses. I don't think you could find an instance of this in the history of CFB.
5. Finally, please understand what is happening here. Some board members have expressed concern on parts of the offense. In 2 threads, 1 poster starting calling everyone with concerns names, and has been absolutely apoplectic about how the PSU offense is top notch, no concerns, "Look at the stats!"....well...not the inconvenient stats. His position and temperament has been over the top and so it has garnered an over the top response. It's a little bit of sport, TBH.
----
The truth is that none of us know what the 2nd half of the season will bring against tOSU and scUM. Thus far, the defense has been very good and has put the offense in a position to score lots of points, but it's completely irrational, to simply look at stats. Anyone with eyes that watched the first 5 games can see that the offense does not look like it will fare well against more talented teams. Will that change? who knows? Are Yurcich/Franklin evil geniuses? Perhaps. We Are!
After some time it's droning on and whining about the same thing. Again. And again.

After some time it's droning on and whining about the same thing. Again. And again.

And he's wrong about this approach not working against duhO$U - duhO$U leads the Conference in the ultra-important stat that he has chosen to focus on (yards per play), but is pretty much dead last in the Conference in Redzone Offense (converting only ~50% of their Redzone trips into TDs and turning the ball over on downs on ~25% of their trips into the Redzone). The reason this is happening is that duhO$U Passes the ball more than they run it- this produces a higher YPP, but way lower "consistency" (way less first downs and awful Redzone numbers. Note, it does not have a big impact on Total Offense numbers - duhO$U 2nd in b1g at 447 YPG and PSU 3rd with 430 YPG). According to his evaluation, duhO$U has an incredible Offense - let's take a look at how duhO$U's incredible Offense did against ND! He says great defense and a consistent ball-control offense that doesn't turn the ball over will not beat duhO$U - the ND game says otherwise especially given that our defense appears to be even better than NDs.

Again the reason duhO$U leads the Conference in YPP is the fact they pass so much more than the other Total Offense leaders - PSU has run the ball on 60% of their plays - IOW, duhO$U has passed the ball 33% more often than PSU and Passing Yards account for 67% of their Total Offense per game (i.e., rushing yards only account for 33% of their Total Offense). Rushing yards account for 45% of PSU's Total Offense numbers.

This guy is so hyperbolic in his efforts that he claims PSU is dead last in the nation in Yards Per Play.... which is utter bullshit - PSU is tied for 76th @5.3 Yards Per Play as this LINK demonstrates (the site has PSU's number wrong - PSU has 2,152 Offensive Yards on 403 plays = 5.34. Site says 5.1). In any event, the stat is screwed - teams that are "Pass Heavy" have much higher numbers. There are only 54 teams averaging >5.5 ypp and only 36 teams averaging greater than 6.0....

But claiming duhO$U has the best Offense in the Conference because they have the highest YPP is an utterly laughable claim as a review and analysis of their Redzone Offense numbers (bottom of the barrel in the Conference) and performance against ND (the only decent defense they've played ti-date) makes quite clear.

• Love

And he's wrong about this approach not working against duhO$U - duhO$U leads the Conference in the ultra-important stat that he has chosen to focus on (yards per play), but is pretty much dead last in the Conference in Redzone Offense (converting only ~50% of their Redzone trips into TDs and turning the ball over on downs on ~25% of their trips into the Redzone). The reason this is happening is that duhO$U Passes the ball more than they run it- this produces a higher YPP, but way lower "consistency" (way less first downs and awful Redzone numbers. Note, it does not have a big impact on Total Offense numbers - duhO$U 2nd in b1g at 447 YPG and PSU 3rd with 430 YPG). According to his evaluation, duhO$U has an incredible Offense - let's take a look at how duhO$U's incredible Offense did against ND! He says great defense and a consistent ball-control offense that doesn't turn the ball over will not beat duhO$U - the ND game says otherwise especially given that our defense appears to be even better than NDs.

Again the reason duhO$U leads the Conference in YPP is the fact they pass so much more than the other Total Offense leaders - PSU has run the ball on 60% of their plays - IOW, duhO$U has passed the ball 33% more often than PSU and Passing Yards account for 67% of their Total Offense per game (i.e., rushing yards only account for 33% of their Total Offense). Rushing yards account for 45% of PSU's Total Offense numbers.

This guy is so hyperbolic in his efforts that he claims PSU is dead last in the nation in Yards Per Play.... which is utter bullshit - PSU is tied for 76th @5.3 Yards Per Play as this LINK demonstrates (the site has PSU's number wrong - PSU has 2,152 Offensive Yards on 403 plays = 5.34. Site says 5.1). In any event, the stat is screwed - teams that are "Pass Heavy" have much higher numbers. There are only 54 teams averaging >5.5 ypp and only 36 teams averaging greater than 6.0....

But claiming duhO$U has the best Offense in the Conference because they have the highest YPP is an utterly laughable claim as a review and analysis of their Redzone Offense numbers (bottom of the barrel in the Conference) and performance against ND (the only decent defense they've played ti-date) makes quite clear.
You really need to increase your reading comprehension skills.

I didn't say anything about OSU. Literally nothing.
I also never claimed that PSU is last in the nation in yards per play.

Reading is fundamental🤦🤦🤦

It's not fundamental for him who uses name calling, stupid acronyms like duhO$U, CAPS and other childish ways of expressing his typically incorrect statements. JF could literally call him right now and say "Our offense isn't good enough to beat OSU...we need to vastly improve," and this guy would scream obscenities at him saying he's a moron.

Last edited:

Comprehension is fundamental genius! The stat that you have brought up over and over as the end-all and be-all of evaluating offensive performance (Yards Per Play)... and the statistic you have used over and over to evaluate PSU's statistics..... by Inference, and simple cognitive logic, can be used to evaluate duhO$U. According to your very own evaluations - duhO$U has done the best job in "stretching the field" (they lead the Conference in Passing Yards Per Attempt, 8.9, Average Yards Per Completion, 14.05, and average yards per play, 7.1) and therefore the best Offense. But the inconsistency of their offense and over-reliance on the Pass, has caused them to be bottom of barrel in the incredibly important "Redzone Offense" statistic - converting only 50% of their Redzone trips into TDs and turning the ball over on Downs on 25% of their trips. You say their Offense is not beatable by great defense and solid conservative offense - the ND game says your full of crap regarding your view of what constitutes "great offense" (contrary to your babbling, gaining First Downs and Scoring are the ultimate test of an Offense - and PSU's Offense does both of these fundamental things better than duhO$U's Offense resulting in also leading the Conference in the ever critical Redzone Efficiency - especially in converting Redzone trips into TDs). ND showed precisely how good duhO$U's Offense was (not very good, or consistent, at all) regardless if they lead the league in Passing Yards, which is all your evaluation really focuses on.

Comprehension is fundamental genius! The stat that you have brought up over and over as the end-all and be-all of evaluating offensive performance (Yards Per Play)... and the statistic you have used over and over to evaluate PSU's statistics..... by Inference, and simple cognitive logic, can be used to evaluate duhO$U. According to your very own evaluations - duhO$U has done the best job in "stretching the field" (they lead the Conference in Passing Yards Per Attempt, 8.9, Average Yards Per Completion, 14.05, and average yards per play, 7.1) and therefore the best Offense. But the inconsistency of their offense and over-reliance on the Pass, has caused them to be bottom of barrel in the incredibly important "Redzone Offense" statistic - converting only 50% of their Redzone trips into TDs and turning the ball over on Downs on 25% of their trips. You say their Offense is not beatable by great defense and solid conservative offense - the ND game says your full of crap regarding your view of what constitutes "great offense" (contrary to your babbling, gaining First Downs and Scoring are the ultimate test of an Offense - and PSU's Offense does both of these fundamental things better than duhO$U's Offense resulting in also leading the Conference in the ever critical Redzone Efficiency - especially in converting Redzone trips into TDs). ND showed precisely how good duhO$U's Offense was (not very good, or consistent, at all) regardless if they lead the league in Passing Yards, which is all your evaluation really focuses on.
ND has the #11 defense in the country, and is typically very salty. You make it like they are a powder puff. And, OSU typically is very good stretching the field via the pass..it's what they do best. That always makes them a threat to win....i.e. the last drive vs ND. So, the point you were making above didn't hold water, ND's offense being too conservative wasn't able to beat them.

PSU's offense has been clunky and methodical for good chunks....especially vs some bad defenses.

I'd say OSU has passed a bigger test than PSU has so far based on ND's total defense. Iowa has the 33rd ranked total defense. Doesn't mean anything when we go head to head, but at this point, OSU has the best win.

Can't wait for your next insult-filled tirade sure to come.

Last edited:
again. I said nothing about OSU so, okay.
But I'll point out, once again, that I never mentioned "Yards per play"

...but other than that...your comprehension is great :oops: :oops:

Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT