ADVERTISEMENT

Weird how none of the loudmouths can explain how PSU's Offense sucks, but they lead the Conference in Points Scored......

I love the "not real PSU fans" bullshit.
The reality is not everyone has to blindly think we're great. The lack of explosive plays, even against Delaware, is problematic. Every sane individual sees this because sustaining 14 play drives against Ohio State or Michigan is way more difficult than Iowa, WVU, Illinois, NW or Delaware.
People can be happy we're 5-0 and still focused on "can we beat Michigan and Ohio State?"
The reality is you don't care if we beat them or not--you'll be thrilled at 10-2.
I'll be thrilled at 5-7! I love having Saturday off and watching PSU play!

No liar, this is what you actually said as someone else pointed out and posted your exact quote:
Right? Why are we pretending the WOULD beat ECU? It's not even close to a given. That's exactly what my comment says. I know you're probably the second least intelligent person on the board but reading isn't difficult.

I'll be thrilled at 5-7! I love having Saturday off and watching PSU play!
Whatever makes you happy as long as you realize many want more. 10-2 beating 10 teams we should beat is "meh" for me but still a huge step forward from 2021

Right? Why are we pretending the WOULD beat ECU? It's not even close to a given. That's exactly what my comment says. I know you're probably the second least intelligent person on the board but reading isn't difficult.
You also said this:

summitlion1

Well-Known Member​

So now we're pretending to care about computer rankings after 1 week? Let's see where WVU is after 6 games. If they're better than 3-3 then we can discuss it being a good win. Otherwise we beat a bad P5 team.
I'm not saying that WV is great, but they aren't as bad as people are saying. You asked me who said WV was better than ECU, and I showed you 30 polls that said they were

——- note the 3-3 comment when they are now 4-1.

You also said this:

summitlion1

Well-Known Member​

I'm not saying that WV is great, but they aren't as bad as people are saying. You asked me who said WV was better than ECU, and I showed you 30 polls that said they were

I went over this multiple times. We can "discuss it". I didn't say it would make them good.
Polls are meaningless--are we sure FSU is better than us? Polls are opinions often from people that don't watch enough games to provide honest feedback

You also said this:

summitlion1

Well-Known Member​

He also said this week that nobody saw ASWP being putrid coming or beating WVU when virtually the entire board told him that WVU would beat ASWP and that ASWP was awful. He makes broad sweeping statements that directly conflict with statements he made earlier.... otherwise known as a liar and a troll.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
He also said this week that nobody saw ASWP being putrid coming or beating WVU when virtually the entire board told him that WVU would beat ASWP and that ASWP was awful. He makes broad sweeping statements that directly conflict with statements he made earlier.... otherwise known as a liar and a troll.
Again, that's based on bias not actually knowing anything about football. When you say ASWP you have no credibility.

...... First Downs, Time Of Possession, Margin Of Victory......

Interesting stuff..... [insert eyeroll] LMFAO.
People are complaining about the lack of explosive plays. I guess it hasn't been visually impressive enough for them. To me the fixation on explosive plays has been a problem in the past. They are fun to watch, but those aren't there very often against a good defense. I'm actually more impressed by putting together a long sustained drive just a few yards at a time then finishing. That also shortens the game and gives our defense a rest. I guess the other problem is that some of the sustained drives have been more based on short passes and we aren't running over people. I think there will be more explosive plays down the stretch, but if we continue to win I'd be quite happy even if we didn't have a play over 20 yards the rest of the season.

Again, that's based on bias not actually knowing anything about football. When you say ASWP you have no credibility.

The posing-troll scUM douche thinks he determines who has credibility on this board - this is your funniest post yet troll-boy. LMAO

The posing-troll scUM douche thinks he determines who has credibility on this board - this is your funniest post yet troll-boy. LMAO
The fact you think I'm a Michigan fan (notice the childish "scUM comment because you can't actually discuss college football as an adult) proves you have no credibility. Maybe don't prove me right constantly--although you've demonstrated that's impossible.

Please PLEASE ignore this fake Bushwood...you are better than this Lando fake and he needs banned actually

I’d love to see someone post first half points vs second half points. PSU seems to have struggled first half. You can’t do that against OSU and Michigan.

Reactions: psu00
People are complaining about the lack of explosive plays. I guess it hasn't been visually impressive enough for them. To me the fixation on explosive plays has been a problem in the past. They are fun to watch, but those aren't there very often against a good defense. I'm actually more impressed by putting together a long sustained drive just a few yards at a time then finishing. That also shortens the game and gives our defense a rest. I guess the other problem is that some of the sustained drives have been more based on short passes and we aren't running over people. I think there will be more explosive plays down the stretch, but if we continue to win I'd be quite happy even if we didn't have a play over 20 yards the rest of the season.
Its just not sustainable. Any team in the past 30+ years who has won/made the playoff/championship has had the ability to make explosive plays. Its not something that is optional in the game nowadays.

The point of the previous post is that if the average depth of throw is 6.3yds, meaning PSU doesn't stretch the field, then teams with better athletes and defenses, will do a much better job defending the smaller box the PSU offense is playing in, meaning, the dink and dunk, 9min drives are a lot less likely to be successful.

Deep threats open the run game and a strong run game opens the deep threats - if you have the personnel to take advantage, of course.

Honest question, do you think PSU has an OL that is going to control the line of scrimmage against OSU/UM to facilitate methodical 15-play drives and own the ToP.

Reading this debate is mind-numbing. It's like watching a political debate where both sides are polarized and won't budge an inch or acknowledge any gray area...well, here's the gray...
It is great that PSU is 5-0, and should be undefeated going into tOSU. The margins of victory have been impressive, but it's also obvious that the PSU offense is not clicking at a high level against inferior defenses, and unless something changes, it's definitely a concern for upcoming games against tOSU/scUM.
Most of the time unless a D has the personnel to play tight man on every play you are going to have short passing plays open all game long if a QB knows where to go. If a team commits to stopping that by playing close to the line of scrimmage they'll probably get beat long at some point unless our receivers simply can't get separation. Here's the thing that maybe you miss - Allar clearly has a rocket arm and can make those throws when they're there. Most QBs with that kind of arm would want to be slinging it down field on every play. The impressive thing to me is that he has been willing to check down and even throw the ball away rather than take a sack or worse. Most QBs, let alone first year starters, don't have that kind of patience or discipline. With Clifford you always felt that we were going into a game against Ohio State and Michigan with a QB that wanted to compete hard but simply wasn't talented enough. I don't have that feeling about Allar. I think they will fear him to some extent flicking that wrist and making a throw no one else can make even though they've made the defensive call that would work against anyone else and that will open up some things. I don't think we've seen anywhere near what he's capable of thus far because it hasn't been needed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's a lot better than you're giving him credit for.

You can thank the defense for time of possession. They also play a big part in margin of victory. Just sayin…

Defense doesn't account for TOP if the offense doesn't convert First Downs and hang on to the ball. The Defense has zero to do with the Offense leading the Conference in First Downs Gained. Leading in First Downs Gained is what has allowed PSU to lead the Conference in TOP and Points Scored. Your notion that the Defense simply stopping the other team without the Offense producing First Downs (which PSU has done better than any other Conference team) will lead to a TOP advantage is rather puzzling.

Defense doesn't account for TOP if the offense doesn't convert First Downs and hang on to the ball. The Defense has zero to do with the Offense leading the Conference in First Downs Gained. Leading in First Downs Gained is what has allowed PSU to lead the Conference in TOP and Points Scored. Your notion that the Defense simply stopping the other team without the Offense producing First Downs (which PSU has done better than any other Conference team) will lead to a TOP advantage is rather puzzling.
This is a simple concept--in the first half things are relatively balanced. Our offense moves the ball but not overly effectively while our defense is elite especially given the offenses we've played so as the game goes on and our opponents are on the field constantly (due to 3 and outs) and they tire allowing for long drives. Not comprehending how the defense is the key factor here seems--well insincere.

This is a simple concept--in the first half things are relatively balanced. Our offense moves the ball but not overly effectively while our defense is elite especially given the offenses we've played so as the game goes on and our opponents are on the field constantly (due to 3 and outs) and they tire allowing for long drives. Not comprehending how the defense is the key factor here seems--well insincere.

No, your logic makes no sense, why would our defense not be just as tired coming out of1st Half given that their Defense stopped us just as much as we stopped them? Given that our Offense scored on our first 3 possessions of the 2nd Half after defensive stops (including a 12 play TD drive on our 1st possession of 2nd Half), I'd say the Offense wore them down with NW's inability to get them off the field without scoring. But logic has never been your strong-suit nimrod.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
Most of the time unless a D has the personnel to play tight man on every play you are going to have short passing plays open all game long if a QB knows where to go. If a team commits to stopping that by playing close to the line of scrimmage they'll probably get beat long at some point unless our receivers simply can't get separation. Here's the thing that maybe you miss - Allar clearly has a rocket arm and can make those throws when they're there. Most QBs with that kind of arm would want to be slinging it down field on every play. The impressive thing to me is that he has been willing to check down and even throw the ball away rather than take a sack or worse. Most QBs, let alone first year starters, don't have that kind of patience or discipline. With Clifford you always felt that we were going into a game against Ohio State and Michigan with a QB that wanted to compete hard but simply wasn't talented enough. I don't have that feeling about Allar. I think they will fear him to some extent flicking that wrist and making a throw no one else can make even though they've made the defensive call that would work against anyone else and that will open up some things. I don't think we've seen anywhere near what he's capable of thus far because it hasn't been needed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's a lot better than you're giving him credit for.
I never mentioned Allar

I never mentioned Allar
You mentioned the passing game being short, so I inferred it.

I did not watch the first half on Saturday. I watched Coach Codutti's analysis of the offense and I get the concern people have. The play calls were generally not bad, but the execution was. Allar was a bit off, for sure, but it was a team effort. In some cases awareness seemed to be an issue. One of the big issues was line play, particularly the right side. That is hurting the running game as the backs aren't apparently able to trust what they see when there is an opening. I don't know if personnel changes are in order or possible, or if we just have to hope the coaches can get it fixed with the players already there. We definitely need to play better and probably coach better to beat the big two. I guess I've seen enough good things to be optimistic that we will put things together by then.

We lead in first downs gained bc we have very few explosive plays. Its a huge concern for me.

UM's ooc schedule last year was far worse than this year, how did that work out for psu?
Different year. Last year means nothing.

My point was only that for anyone pumping up UM's stats, who they have played has to be mentioned for context. ECU, UNLV, BGSU, Rutgers and Nebraska. When Rutgers is the BEST team you've played, that certainly will skew your stats.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Different year. Last year means nothing.

My point was only that for anyone pumping up UM's stats, who they have played has to be mentioned for context. ECU, UNLV, BGSU, Rutgers and Nebraska. When Rutgers is the BEST team you've played, that certainly will skew your stats.
But, again, this is pretending we've played good teams which we haven't. Sure, better than Michigan but also garbage teams

Reactions: bluehair666
Might be more practical to believe Franklin who consistently has said the PSU offense has a ways to go, and is lacking the explosive plays the offense needs, rather than one loudmouth that takes statistics skewed by a dominant defensive and turnover statistics to keep the 30+ scoring streak going against a pretty average schedule to date.....

Will be interesting to see if PSU has made progress on offense during the bye week during the next couple of games.

Reactions: scrivener
Might be more practical to believe Franklin who consistently has said the PSU offense has a ways to go, and is lacking the explosive plays the offense needs, rather than one loudmouth that takes statistics skewed by a dominant defensive and turnover statistics to keep the 30+ scoring streak going against a pretty average schedule to date.....

Will be interesting to see if PSU has made progress on offense during the bye week during the next couple of games.

If they did not improve after the whole off season they are not going to fix things in a week.

What you see is what you get. They dont have the receivers which we knew going in. The running game is not as good either. They lost Tengwall. Allen lost 20 lbs the previous year and put it back on this year. Who thought that was a good idea?

If they did not improve after the whole off season they are not going to fix things in a week.

What you see is what you get. They dont have the receivers which we knew going in. The running game is not as good either. They lost Tengwall. Allen lost 20 lbs the previous year and put it back on this year. Who thought that was a good idea?
The lack of a running game goes beyond losing Landon...but no doubt that hurts. You bring up a good point about the fluctuation of weight for Allen....and I believe Caedan added weight too, if I remember JF's preseason comments. I'm starting to question whether strength coach Losey is effective. He should know, based on body types and position on the field, the proper weight each player should be around. Granted it's on the player to take care of their bodies, but much of that stems from S&C. Seeing as our OL is annually an issue, and dare I say immobile and soft at times, I wonder if Losey's system is any good.

What you see is what you get.
They dont have the receivers which we knew going in. The running game is not as good either. They lost Tengwall. Allen lost 20 lbs the previous year and put it back on this year. Who thought that was a good idea?
Some believe that. I do not. The WR group is very young for the most part. Wallace, basically referred to by Franklin as one of the proven WR's, was not very proven and it seemed was just getting comfortable in the offense when he was injured. He could take a step forward, especially if he can get open deep and Allar would get the ball to him for a splash play or two.

The same goes for the two transfers, McClain and Cephas. Both have the talent to make a sizeable increase in their game by game production as they get more on the same page with the offense and Allar. And the only way that will happen is through more reps, which Franklin stated this week and which is happening during this bye week.

Same goes for the younger WR's such as Saunders and Clifford, although Clifford seems to be more on the same page with Allar than any WR other than KLS.

I'm less hopeful for the running game. The ongoing injuries to the OL seem like they will prevent any significant improvement in run blocking, and it seems that needs to happen for significant progress in the run game to occur. I also don't see the quickness and spark from either Singleton or Allen, but some here believe they aren't part of the problem. Defenses have seemed to load up against PSU's running game and the way to lessen that is to hit some long passing plays. So it seems that improvement in the passing game, if it occurs, would also help the running game improve from the sorry 3.4 yards per carry that PSU had vs one of the worst run defenses in college football, Northwestern.

But, again, this is pretending we've played good teams which we haven't. Sure, better than Michigan but also garbage teams
While I agree that PSU's schedule has not been a murderer's row (early season schedules rarely are) it has been better than Michigan's. Four of our wins are against P5 teams (Michigan only has 2) and three of our opponents only loss is to PSU.

So if you are going to build up UM for beating bad opponents badly, you should doubly build up PSU for beating mediocre opponents badly.

Reactions: royboy
While I agree that PSU's schedule has not been a murderer's row (early season schedules rarely are) it has been better than Michigan's. Four of our wins are against P5 teams (Michigan only has 2) and three of our opponents only loss is to PSU.

So if you are going to build up UM for beating bad opponents badly, you should doubly build up PSU for beating mediocre opponents badly.
Not all P5s are better wins hut I've criticized Michigan consistently and have said the biggest thing we have going for us is that we've dominated bad (not mediocre) opponents. Michigan gets more respect than us because they've been more successful than us recently. Fair or not, that's how it works.

Our SOS is in the high 90s...theirs is like 112 (going off memory) so after this week it will be about even then it doesn't matter because we'll know where we stand after Ohio State. Beat OSU and we're probably 3.

Michigan gets more respect than us because they've been more successful than us recently. Fair or not, that's how it works.

Michigan has 2 wins in a row over us, 2 wins over the Buckeyes as well, and 2 playoff appearances. More than fair to credit them over anyone until they lose.

Reactions: LandoComando
Michigan has 2 wins in a row over us, 2 wins over the Buckeyes as well, and 2 playoff appearances. More than fair to credit them over anyone until they lose.
I agree with this logic--many here not believe the past should be included but I'm not sure how it can be ignored.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT