ADVERTISEMENT

Weekly Review of Rankings for 11/12/19

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
The season has started for PSU, so once again I'm starting up the weekly review of rankings. As this is the first week of the weekly review, there are no prior week's standings in parenthesis.

InterMat
125: No PSUer
133: Roman Bravo-Young - 3rd
141: Nick Lee - 3rd
149: No PSUer
157: Brady Berge - 5th
165: Vincenzo Joseph - 1st
174: Mark Hall - 1st
184: Shakur Rasheed - 2nd
197: Kyle Conel - 3rd
285: Anthony Cassar - 1st
Tournament - 1st
Dual - 1st

The Open Mat
184: Shakur Rasheed - 3rd

FloWrestling
It appears that Flo is no longer making their rankings available to the public. I can't use info on a public board that requires a subscription to access. So, unless Flo changes their approach with rankings, I'll be dropping them from the Weekly Reviews this season

NWCA Division I Coaches Poll
PSU - 1st

WIN Magazine
141: Nick Lee - 1st
157: Brady Berge - 9th
184: Shakur Rasheed - 2nd
197: Kyle Conel - 6th
Team - 1st

Amateur Wrestling News
Not yet posted

TrackWrestling
125: Brody Teske - 21st
149: Jarod Verkleeren - 15th
184: Shakur Rasheed - 4th
Team - 1st

WrestleStat
125: Brandon Meredith - 33rd, Brody Teske - 34th, Devin Schnupp - 89th, Baylor Shunk - 162nd
133: Roman Bravo-Young - 7th, Austin Clabaugh - 144th
141: Nick Lee - 3rd, Scott Obendorfer - 93rd, Dom Giannangeli - 107th, Mason Lindenmuth - 108th,
149: Jarod Verkleeren - 31st, Luke Gardner - 73rd, Terrell Barraclough - 110th, Joey Blumer - 127th
157: Brady Berge - 7th, Bo Pipher - 31st, Paul Feite - 191st
165: Vincenzo Josph - 1st, Joe Lee - 26th, Mason Manville - 47th, Konner Kraeszig
174: Mark Hall - 1st, Carter Starocci - 47th
184: Shakur Rasheed - 5th, Creighton Edsell - 85th, Austin Hoopes - 151st, Aaron Brooks - 164th, Ritchie Heywood - 200th, Donovan Ball - 211th
197: Kyle Conel - 2nd, Michael Beard - 42nd, Joe Kurtz - 185th, Eddie Smith - 193rd
285: Anthony Cassar - 1st, Keagan Carmenatty - 117th, Seth Nevills - 157th
Tournament - 1st
Dual - 2nd

InterMat's 11/12 Rankings

The Open Mat's 11/12 Rankings

NWCA Division I Coaches Poll for 11/12

WIN Magazine's 11/12 Rankings

TrackWrestling's 11/11 Rankings

WrestleStat's 11/12 Rankings

Reactions: danoftw
Clicking on Wrestlestat link,and seeing Nick Lee as #1

WrestleStat has two categories for each weight class:

1. View all Starters for ###
2. View all Wrestlers for ###

I use "all Wrestlers," as that's where WrestleStat ranks those that are on the roster, but not starting. For 141, in the "all Wrestlers" category, Yianni is ranked #1, and Eirerman is ranked #2, even though both are taking Olympic Redshirts this year.

Reactions: andegre
On WrestleStat Luke Gardner is better than #73. I agree with Meredith as our highest ranked 125

WrestleStat's rankings are generated by a computer formula. As such, their rankings at the beginning of the season are based more on what the wrestlers did last season than what they have done, or can be projected to do, in the current season. Sometimes I include a caution about that in the beginning of the season; it appears I should have done so this season as well.

WrestleStat has two categories for each weight class:

1. View all Starters for ###
2. View all Wrestlers for ###

I use "all Wrestlers," as that's where WrestleStat ranks those that are on the roster, but not starting. For 141, in the "all Wrestlers" category, Yianni is ranked #1, and Eirerman is ranked #2, even though both are taking Olympic Redshirts this year.

I SEE, said the blind man.

As such, their rankings at the beginning of the season are based more on what the wrestlers did last season than what they have done, or can be projected to do, in the current season.

Or 2 seasons ago, in Conel’s case?

WrestleStat's rankings are generated by a computer formula. As such, their rankings at the beginning of the season are based more on what the wrestlers did last season than what they have done, or can be projected to do, in the current season. Sometimes I include a caution about that in the beginning of the season; it appears I should have done so this season as well.
You should pin this as every year we have guys on here complaining about them. The beginning of the season is very difficult with WrestleStat, especially for guys that don't have a long history of solid competition.

For example, I am especially in tuned to the 133 rankings and there are some anomalies that I would guess will get sorted out fairly quickly (Chance Rich????). Alvarez - I scratch my head how you get to be top 10 by beating a bunch of guys that may have a combined total of 1 or 2 wins at NCAAs with a 9-4 loss to Tyler Warner on your resume after 6 matches. (BTW, no personal complaints about my rooting interests ranking, it is probably right on given his resume at this point).

WrestleStat should really go the SHP route and not release until later, but I also understand why they don't.

Last edited:
FloWrestling
It appears that Flo is no longer making their rankings available to the public. I can't use info on a public board that requires a subscription to access. So, unless Flo changes their approach with rankings, I'll be dropping them from the Weekly Reviews this season

This is really no loss. FLO's rankings appear to be some sort of algorithm with a healthy dose of H-T-H's combined with whoever CP and crew deems to be a "hot" name.

Some of the rankings have a nice combination of resume with a feel for guys that are really good. Flo has none of that.

And I am usually a FLO defender, but their college rankings have really gone downhill since Willie stopped being involved. I'd expect the same will happen with their HS rankings now.

This is really no loss. FLO's rankings appear to be some sort of algorithm with a healthy dose of H-T-H's combined with whoever CP and crew deems to be a "hot" name.

Some of the rankings have a nice combination of resume with a feel for guys that are really good. Flo has none of that.

And I am usually a FLO defender, but their college rankings have really gone downhill since Willie stopped being involved. I'd expect the same will happen with their HS rankings now.
Rankers sometimes let process get in the way of logic - the “consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds” approach

Rankers sometimes let process get in the way of logic - the “consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds” approach
Grumble grumble “millennials,” Not everything can be fixed via algorithm, etc. ;)

Flo’s choice here is interesting. Do they have any free content left, other than the podcasts? Does this mean they may be turning from “quantity” to address “quality”? Probably not, but a guy can dream.

Reactions: diggerpup and rmg78
... FLO ... their college rankings have really gone downhill since Willie stopped being involved. I'd expect the same will happen with their HS rankings now.
Hmm. When did Flo start advertising a job opening for someone to do West Coast high school rankings? Before at least that time, somebody at Flo knew Willy was leaving.

I do not believe that Willy was all that involved in college rankings. I think it is Spey that does them. Willy was their HS ranker.

I do not believe that Willy was all that involved in college rankings. I think it is Spey that does them. Willy was their HS ranker.
I did not mean to imply this is related to Willie's recent departure.

Flos college rankings have been bad for a while now.

Grumble grumble “millennials,” Not everything can be fixed via algorithm, etc. ;)

Flo’s choice here is interesting. Do they have any free content left, other than the podcasts? Does this mean they may be turning from “quantity” to address “quality”? Probably not, but a guy can dream.
As a non-subscriber, now I have zero reasons to visit the Flo site

I thought last year (2019 season), WIN was #1, and Flo was #2, by someone's account that appeared to have a solid model. Andegre added that without 285, WrestleStat would have been #1. Changes ALOT year-to-year.

I thought last year (2019 season), WIN was #1, and Flo was #2, by someone's account that appeared to have a solid model. Andegre added that without 285, WrestleStat would have been #1. Changes ALOT year-to-year.
By the end of the year, everyone is pretty much in alignment, so I don't put much stock in those post NCAA tournament comparisons. How hard is it to rank the top 8 guys at the end of the year - not that hard. Those things are pretty much like the NCAA pools we all enter. Sometimes you get guys who haven't watched a match all year winning those things.

Right now the rankers are ranking 25 to 30 wrestlers. That's a lot different than what you are talking about.

It's kind of like me crowing about my hits on my seeding at ETR (which IS extraordinary, in fact;)). You only use your placers when you total up your stats. Meanwhile, at some weight classes I'm seeding 20 deep. Only a wrestling nerd like me is interested in how I did at 12-20.

By the end of the year, everyone is pretty much in alignment, so I don't put much stock in those post NCAA tournament comparisons. How hard is it to rank the top 8 guys at the end of the year - not that hard. Those things are pretty much like the NCAA pools we all enter. Sometimes you get guys who haven't watched a match all year winning those things.

Right now the rankers are ranking 25 to 30 wrestlers. That's a lot different than what you are talking about.

It's kind of like me crowing about my hits on my seeding at ETR (which IS extraordinary, in fact;)). You only use your placers when you total up your stats. Meanwhile, at some weight classes I'm seeding 20 deep. Only a wrestling nerd like me is interested in how I did at 12-20.
Agreed, it's too early to say their rankings have gone downhill, that's all. Will they? Doubt it, given your reasoning above, which I agree with too. There was only about a 7% difference between the highest correlation, and the lowest of the 9 "rankers".

As such, their rankings at the beginning of the season are based more on what the wrestlers did last season than what they have done, or can be projected to do, in the current season.

Or 2 seasons ago, in Conel’s case?
No. Their rankings are more of a career achievement than than a week to week ranking.

Dropped flo, member since 2012 but this is last straw. Bad business plan.

You should pin this as every year we have guys on here complaining about them. The beginning of the season is very difficult with WrestleStat, especially for guys that don't have a long history of solid competition.

For example, I am especially in tuned to the 133 rankings and there are some anomalies that I would guess will get sorted out fairly quickly (Chance Rich????). Alvarez - I scratch my head how you get to be top 10 by beating a bunch of guys that may have a combined total of 1 or 2 wins at NCAAs with a 9-4 loss to Tyler Warner on your resume after 6 matches. (BTW, no personal complaints about my rooting interests ranking, it is probably right on given his resume at this point).

WrestleStat should really go the SHP route and not release until later, but I also understand why they don't.

The last time I looked what matters is where you end.
Naive of me in an age of entitlement.

The last time I looked what matters is where you end.
Naive of me in an age of entitlement.
Explain to me the relevance of your statement to the post you quoted so maybe I have a shot at responding.

Did you mean to quote my other post? Or are you just saying that rankings dont matter and all that matters is March?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT