ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO/NOTES: James Franklin's weekly presser - UMass week

I'll be in the minority here, but I didn't think it was a ridiculous question. Notwithstanding the disdain all have for this reporter, I don't think its a crazy question in the least.....I think Franklin really went out of his way to embarrass this guy, which may be for good reason. Franklin cannot tell me that coaches at all levels don't call a couple deep shots a game with simple one on one coverage to a receiver we think can win that battle. In fact, outside of this year, I'm fairly certain we have done this often. At the end of the day, what precisely is the "dreaded" fade route to a predetermined receiver with the QB getting the ball and immediately throwing it to the corner of the endzone? I know Franklin would naturally be offended by what he would term the "oversimplification" of football.....but let's not forget how adverse Franklin was to a qb under center for years. In fact, our new short yardage play is a QB sneak with 2 guys hoisting the qb forward. Does anyone else find it hard to believe that Franklin's skin "curls" at the idea of throwing a deep ball to his #1 receiver absent the QB reading all of his routes? I mean....really? We never did that with Jahan or KJ? Just take a shot to back the defense up or draw a PI? Don't teams actually enact that at all levels of football? And yes....I would think it makes some sense for Allar to do that early in games from time to time and I suspect we'll see it.
Pretty much what MikeRob did with Justin King his freshman year....obviously some amount of bad blood between Franklin and Geiger wrapped around politeness.

That is difficult to watch. I am not a fan of Cory's and I don't think CJF wanted to show him up but it was painful. Cory tweeted out that he is getting hateful tweets but anyone in the public eye gets hateful tweets even if you tweet out something like "I like Ice Cream".

CJF seems to be saying that he values every possession. However, to Cory's point, does it ever make sense when you are 3rd and 25, to just chuck it up hail-mary style. You can hope your WR comes down with it. You can hope the ref calls an interference call. Or, it can be intercepted but looks like a punt anyway (40 yards downfield). If it is incomplete, who cares?

I get the impression the guy is not well liked by CJF or the reporters.
Just a dumb question. This is not backyard football. Of all the questions he could ask, he asks this one? What a waste.

Reactions: Obliviax
I'll be in the minority here, but I didn't think it was a ridiculous question. Notwithstanding the disdain all have for this reporter, I don't think its a crazy question in the least.....I think Franklin really went out of his way to embarrass this guy, which may be for good reason. Franklin cannot tell me that coaches at all levels don't call a couple deep shots a game with simple one on one coverage to a receiver we think can win that battle. In fact, outside of this year, I'm fairly certain we have done this often. At the end of the day, what precisely is the "dreaded" fade route to a predetermined receiver with the QB getting the ball and immediately throwing it to the corner of the endzone? I know Franklin would naturally be offended by what he would term the "oversimplification" of football.....but let's not forget how adverse Franklin was to a qb under center for years. In fact, our new short yardage play is a QB sneak with 2 guys hoisting the qb forward. Does anyone else find it hard to believe that Franklin's skin "curls" at the idea of throwing a deep ball to his #1 receiver absent the QB reading all of his routes? I mean....really? We never did that with Jahan or KJ? Just take a shot to back the defense up or draw a PI? Don't teams actually enact that at all levels of football? And yes....I would think it makes some sense for Allar to do that early in games from time to time and I suspect we'll see it.

Nonsense, that is not the way plays are called. On a play call where deep ball is target #1, it would really depend on what the Safety does - if defense immediately goes to "Cover 2" on that route (corner underneath and Safety over the top), QB is going to immediately look at other routes - if a secondary route is uncovered or huge mismatch, no way does the QB just throw the ball away so it doesn't get intercepted and just giveaway a positive play - no way, no how. It's absurd to say that a Coach would instruct a QB to just chuck it down the field regardless of what coverage he sees off the snap. Utterly absurd - no coach would tell their QB to do this.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Nonsense, that is not the way plays are called. On a play call where deep ball is target #1, it would really depend on what the Safety does - if defense immediately goes to "Cover 2" on that route (corner underneath and Safety over the top), QB is going to immediately look at other routes - if a secondary route is uncovered or huge mismatch, no way does the QB just throw the ball away so it doesn't get intercepted and just giveaway a positive play - no way, no how. It's absurd to say that a Coach would instruct a QB to just chuck it down the field regardless of what coverage he sees off the snap. Utterly absurd - no coach would tell their QB to do this.

Okay fair, I'll take your counsel on this one. Just one lingering question.....would a coach ever say "throw the fade route to our 6"4' receiver if he has single coverage?" Or if from a particular formation during tape study, the coaches glean there will not be safety help over the top and they instruct the QB to throw a deep route? I'm sure he could have phrased the question better, but I think the question of "do you ever just give Drew a one read, one on one shot down the field so it's at least in the mind of the defense and future opponents", is not absurd on its face.

Okay fair, I'll take your counsel on this one. Just one lingering question.....would a coach ever say "throw the fade route to our 6"4' receiver if he has single coverage?" Or if from a particular formation during tape study, the coaches glean there will not be safety help over the top and they instruct the QB to throw a deep route? I'm sure he could have phrased the question better, but I think the question of "do you ever just give Drew a one read, one on one shot down the field so it's at least in the mind of the defense and future opponents", is not absurd on its face.

I disagree that a QB is ever instructed to throw to one option regardless of what happens at the snap. Why would you guess what a Safety is going to do off the snap based on film when you can just look at what the Safety does? The notion that a QB has to make an immediate decision at the snap and ignore what you see happening in front of you (even on a deep pattern, the QB doesn't throw the ball for 3 to 4 seconds after the snap) is very misguided. Again, why would you ever tell your QB to ignore what they see and throw the ball to a pattern even if they don't like the coverage they see develop on the play (cover 2, etc....)????? Why would you do it???? It's an absurd question. If you're looking to get man-on-man with no-help because of a blitz package or something, and that's precisely what you get off the snap - why would you not throw it if you're getting the exact coverage you're looking for??? - but that absolutely is not the question idiot-boy asked.

Reactions: OaktonDave
I disagree that a QB is ever instructed to throw to one option regardless of what happens at the snap. Why would you guess what a Safety is going to do off the snap based on film when you can just look at what the Safety does? The notion that a QB has to make an immediate decision at the snap and ignore what you see happening in front of you (even on a deep pattern, the QB doesn't throw the ball for 3 to 4 seconds after the snap) is very misguided. Again, why would you ever tell your QB to ignore what they see and throw the ball to a pattern even if they don't like the coverage they see develop on the play (cover 2, etc....)????? Why would you do it???? It's an absurd question. If you're looking to get man-on-man with no-help because of a blitz package or something, and that's precisely what you get off the snap - why would you not throw it if you're getting the exact coverage you're looking for??? - but that absolutely is not the question idiot-boy asked.
Yup, all fair and educational. I guess Ginger meant to ask if there is a possibility of creating deep shots? I would think its important to put the ball downfield to some degree to back the defense off the line and intermediate routes a bit....but I'm sure that too is not how coaches focus their efforts.

I'm sure he could have phrased the question better, but I think the question of "do you ever just give Drew a one read, one on one shot down the field so it's at least in the mind of the defense and future opponents", is not absurd on its face.

It isn't necessarily absurd, but we have a QB going through 3-4 progressions on pass plays and even returning to his 1st one at times. It would be absurd to simplify the offense by limiting his reads, wouldn't it? If somebody told us preseason "Allar will have 0 INTs going into game 6", I think we would be thrilled.

To those who say "just throw it deep", it has occurred as recently as NW when Allar was a hair late throwing to Cephas in the end zone.

To those who desire more, I say it might just be part of Allar to take the safer, higher percentage throw until game situations force him to take chances.

It isn't necessarily absurd, but we have a QB going through 3-4 progressions on pass plays and even returning to his 1st one at times. It would be absurd to simplify the offense by limiting his reads, wouldn't it? If somebody told us preseason "Allar will have 0 INTs going into game 6", I think we would be thrilled.

To those who say "just throw it deep", it has occurred as recently as NW when Allar was a hair late throwing to Cephas in the end zone.

To those who desire more, I say it might just be part of Allar to take the safer, higher percentage throw until game situations force him to take chances.

It absolutely is absurd - a Coach would never tell a QB to ignore what they see developing in terms of coverage immediately after the snap (or to not even look and just run back and chuck the ball down field). It absolutely was an absurd question as asked.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
scUM had no way of knowing that U-Dub, Oregon, USC and UCLA were joining - these OOC opponents were scheduled years ago dipshit. What CJF said is that scheduling going forward will likely be impacted by the new Conference additions and future OOC opponents will likely be softer.
What? Lol. Look at our future schedules not knowing then their future schedules. No one can defend ours or discredit Michigan

It is absurd and that is why Franklin responded that way. First the question was asked poorly so you really wonder about Geiger's journalism skills. He sounds like some buffoon fan. They have pass plays. etc so they don't just say throw it long and see if something good happens. They do throw deep and probably try to take advantage of favorable size matchups, of course they do. But they don't just randomly say Drew, chuck it deep on this one. Plays are called as part of an offensive game plan. Pretty much an insulting question to Franklin.

Franklin believes that Big Ten programs will start scheduling easier non-conference opponents with the conference welcoming USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington next year.
That's not new, Franklin has indicated already that he prefers an easier non-conf schedule in order to position the team for the playoff. In the presser he was asked if that mindset changes with the expansion to 12 playoff teams and he said no. Funny how he keeps pushing 107k attendance though. The fans aren't going to keep paying the piper for the crappy games. You can't have both an intentionally weak schedule and a full stadium, pick one.

That's not new, Franklin has indicated already that he prefers an easier non-conf schedule in order to position the team for the playoff. In the presser he was asked if that mindset changes with the expansion to 12 playoff teams and he said no. Funny how he keeps pushing 107k attendance though. The fans aren't going to keep paying the piper for the crappy games. You can't have both an intentionally weak schedule and a full stadium, pick one.

That's nonsense - lots of teams sellout (and sell tons of season tickets) just like PSU and none of them are playing great teams with all their OOC games. Georgia plays 4 OOC games and they're playing UT-Martin, Ball State, UAB and GT.

Some of you people are laughable with your bullshit.

That's nonsense - lots of teams sellout (and sell tons of season tickets) just like PSU and none of them are playing great teams with all their OOC games. Georgia plays 4 OOC games and they're playing UT-Martin, Ball State, UAB and GT.

Some of you people are laughable with your bullshit.
How many of those teams are a 3 hour drive from the 3 largest population metro areas in their respective state and have to pay $800 for 2 nights in a crappy hotel room? Yes season tickets will sell out due to the big games, but in stadium attendance isn't going to be 107k when you play 3 games against teams you're favored by 40 points against. Cream puff scheduling is good for helping to get to the playoff and is bad for the viewers.

How many of those teams are a 3 hour drive from the 3 largest population metro areas in their respective state and have to pay $800 for 2 nights in a crappy hotel room? Yes season tickets will sell out due to the big games, but in stadium attendance isn't going to be 107k when you play 3 games against teams you're favored by 40 points against. Cream puff scheduling is good for helping to get to the playoff and is bad for the viewers.

Says you.... I've been going to PSU games for 50 years - the attendance does not suffer as you claim. PSU plays duhO$U, Washington and UCLA at home next year as well as Maryland and Illinois.... along with the 2 OOC games. How you figure they don't have a quality Home Schedule is rather baffling.

And which one is more important? Make the playoffs and make the fans happy or not make the playoffs and make the fans unhappy? When I watch a Penn State game, it’s to watch Penn State, not their opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT