ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO/NOTES: James Franklin talks Yurcich firing, previews Rutgers game

James says he appreciates the contributions that Mike made here but it was a tough decision and thinks it best for the future of the program, also called it "necessary"

Reactions: NedFromYork
"I think we're a little more collaborative right now than we've been recently" - Franklin on the planning for Rugers.

Ty Howle will be in the booth going forward, Ja'Jaun Seider will be on the sidelines for Penn State, same as it has been this season for those two.

Danny O'Brien will be handling coaching duties for the QBs going forward but Franklin will be in the meetings going forward as well.

The quarterbacks were the first to find out about Yurcich's dismissal.

Franklin notes that he's going to try to keep the names he's considering close to his chest out of respect for the process and those in consideration and his team.

Franklin says he made the decision this week because "when you feel like that's the decision, you don't delay the decision as long as you feel like you have some internal options that you feel like can do it."

Ty Howle will be in the booth going forward, Ja'Jaun Seider will be on the sidelines for Penn State, same as it has been this season for those two.
Dang it. Was hoping for Jaypa/Galen them to both be in the booth simultaneously sending plays down to McQueary the sidelines so the play doesn't get into the huddle until there's 7 seconds left on the play clock. And then when Joe Franklin gets angry he can occasionally yell at whoever is signaling plays and demand they run the fullback dive flea flicker.

Frankin won't put an exact timeline on a hire "sooner than later", and says making a hire is a full-time job, and hard to do both during the season.

He already has a list, it's running the numbers, narrowing it down, seeing whose interested, doing zoom calls, interviews, etc.

Hopes to have a situation similar to Manny where they have them here for the bowl game, get around the program, etc.

"Me sitting here and saying things is fine but at the end of the day, its about actions." - Franklin on what he could say to the fans about giving them hope for going forward.

Reiterates that he thinks the program is better set up to have success than they have been during his tenure.

Reiterates that he thinks the program is better set up to have success than they have been during his tenure.

I mean, I think that is probably true and they are close to making a breakthrough. The issue is that it seems the common denominator keeping the team from making that jump is the head coach.

In theory, if they could keep the team otherwise intact but make a change at the top - with someone who will be different in terms of attitude and planning going into big games and coming off losses - I think we truly could be a CFP team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryoder1
so it sounds like a whole new person, not already on the staff. Sounds like we are going to poach a coach who will end up being light on the sideline for their bowl.

Frankin won't put an exact timeline on a hire "sooner than later", and says making a hire is a full-time job, and hard to do both during the season.

He already has a list, it's running the numbers, narrowing it down, seeing whose interested, doing zoom calls, interviews, etc.

Hopes to have a situation similar to Manny where they have them here for the bowl game, get around the program, etc.
Franklin needs to take a payout to have extra money to keep Manny Diaz and hire Sean Lewis or he needs to look @ some FCS guys. We don't need Morehead again.

With any luck, Franklin would announce his resignation today.

I mean, I think that is probably true and they are close to making a breakthrough. The issue is that it seems the common denominator keeping the team from making that jump is the head coach.

In theory, if they could keep the team otherwise intact but make a change at the top - with someone who will be different in terms of attitude and planning going into big games and coming off losses - I think we truly could be a CFP team.
Well maybe you are right. Clearly, the offensive game planning was lousy. What Franklin said after the game was spot on—PSU needs to call plays that have easy completions for Allar and gets him in a rhythm just like everybody else does. They didn’t do that against Michigan; instead it was predictable running plays between the tackles on early downs resulting in 3rd and long obvious passing situations which we have seen all year with the exception of the Maryland game. But maybe he delegates play calling to Yurcich in the same manner he lets Diaz run the defense and, as he mentioned today, he has had this conversation before with Yurcich and that’s why Yurcich is out of a job today.

Takeaways, reading between lines:

-Short leash placed on MY after OSU. Indiana was boiling point for CJF and UM was final straw.
-Certainly sounds like Moorhead or Lewis as said something about teams that need to finish season out. He threw 'maybe NFL guy' out there but that was passing comment, probably to throw scent off. He seems to want someone who can be available within a few weeks. Brought up Manny being ideal hire as fired and on staff for bowl.
-Most interesting statement, at end, we had problems getting offense performing at level needed 'since we got on campus, for many reasons'. Leads me to believe that perhaps Cephus/McClain transfers were Mike's calls and lack of explosive passing were also on him. Stubblefield firing was probably MY influenced and Hagans hired as solution. When the consistency in passing game failed to materialize in practice, MY shut down play calling to conservative approach and limit TOs, hoping defense could win it. Against equal (or more talented teams Ds), it became a 'last grasp' prayer that team could get easy points.

CJF needs to go. Claims we have standards here yet coordinator 6 is merely another deflection on man who just has no idea how to field highly competitve o from year to year. Always something missing. That is the HC. The Fridge/MD coaching tree needs to die off with Franklin and Locksley.

Takeaways, reading between lines:

-Short leash placed on MY after OSU. Indiana was boiling point for CJF and UM was final straw.
-Certainly sounds like Moorhead or Lewis as said something about teams that need to finish season out. He threw 'maybe NFL guy' out there but that was passing comment, probably to throw scent off. He seems to want someone who can be available within a few weeks. Brought up Manny being ideal hire as fired and on staff for bowl.
-Most interesting statement, at end, we had problems getting offense performing at level needed 'since we got on campus, for many reasons'. Leads me to believe that perhaps Cephus/McClain transfers were Mike's calls and lack of explosive passing were also on him. Stubblefield firing was probably MY influenced and Hagans hired as solution. When the consistency in passing game failed to materialize in practice, MY shut down play calling to conservative approach and limit TOs, hoping defense could win it. Against equal (or more talented teams Ds), it became a 'last grasp' prayer that team could get easy points.

CJF needs to go. Claims we have standards here yet coordinator 6 is merely another deflection on man who just has no idea how to field highly competitve o from year to year. Always something missing. That is the HC. The Fridge/MD coaching tree needs to die off with Franklin and Locksley.
Interesting post. Spent 2/3 of it speculating on what transpired with MY and then do a 180 and say Franklin should be fired. My memory isn’t as good as it used to be but didn’t Morehead and Rahne leave because they got heading coaching jobs?

Reactions: PSUSignore
Interesting post. Spent 2/3 of it speculating on what transpired with MY and then do a 180 and say Franklin should be fired. My memory isn’t as good as it used to be but didn’t Morehead and Rahne leave because they got heading coaching jobs?
Well, of course it is speculation. Franklin never answers a question so you have listen for word changes, outside of his regular pattern. He also said he feels good about QB conversations 'inside the building'. I take it as perhaps parents were not so keen on change. The last statement is what I think of Franklin. He should go bc he talks about standards/expectations yet fails to meet them as HC. Who cares about Moorhead and Rahne at this point. That is long ago history. He fired Kirk for almost no reason, simply bc MY became available. MY did no better and that is on CJF - lack of loyalty and crud OC selection process.

Tough to make the leap when you burn timeouts so you can punt.

Even harder when he shortens games by 2 minutes without reason. Or precedent. Or idk….. going for one was mandatory.

Since he doesn’t point the finger to himself, ever, it’s hard not to make the same mistakes over and over. So if the timeout problem doesn’t seem to go away, now he’s shown a new problem with that call with 2 minutes to go.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
He also said he feels good about QB conversations 'inside the building'. I take it as perhaps parents were not so keen on change

If a HC is doing anything beyond letting his players know what is about to happen, then he's doing too much. With the portal, yeah, you have to recruit your roster constantly, but no HC needs to be checking with parents about OC changes.

I ask myself, "would Saban ask a parent before he changes coordinators?" I figure he goes "f#ck no!"

Reactions: Grass
If a HC is doing anything beyond letting his players know what is about to happen, then he's doing too much. With the portal, yeah, you have to recruit your roster constantly, but no HC needs to be checking with parents about OC changes.

I ask myself, "would Saban ask a parent before he changes coordinators?" I figure he goes "f#ck no!"

Let's face it - we are not in a position like Bama. 5 stars are not lining up for back-up role. This is about Allar. Big money is on the line and they see what happened to Levis, getting his shot at UK and 1st rnd pick. He has to make the call.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Let's face it - we are not in a position like Bama. 5 stars are not lining up for back-up role. This is about Allar. Big money is on the line and they see what happened to Levis, getting his shot at UK and 1st rnd pick. He has to make the call.

I respect your opinion, but don't agree with it. Talking to Drew is one thing; his parents is another.

Reactions: Westcoast24

Breakthrough?!?…the schedule is about to get much tougher…without any WRs to make plays, PSU is just as likely to start regressing.

Reactions: Grass
Another nugget of how soft the penn state beat is to franklins face:

Neil Rudel twitter: "As the PSU OC Search begins, just want to clarify if successful applicant will also be responsible for deciding when to punt and when (not) to go for 2."

Neil Rudel on Zoom to JF: "Hey James, I'm wondering if this was you decision (to fire MY) or was Pat Kraft involved?"

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
Another nugget of how soft the penn state beat is to franklins face:

Neil Rudel twitter: "As the PSU OC Search begins, just want to clarify if successful applicant will also be responsible for deciding when to punt and when (not) to go for 2."

Neil Rudel on Zoom to JF: "Hey James, I'm wondering if this was you decision (to fire MY) or was Pat Kraft involved?"

I think the "hey James, how are you?" / wait for response pleasantries are annoying. Ask your question and move on.

Kudos to Jones for calling JF out on the 2 pt debacle(s). I was on board with the first (because you could make it a FG-to-tie game), but the 2nd was definitely absurd once you MISSED THE FIRST. Its just hard to take Jones serious when he's so negative. It's like responding to the constant negative folk here. It just gets tiring.

Reactions: gogolion
I think the "hey James, how are you?" / wait for response pleasantries are annoying. Ask your question and move on.

Kudos to Jones for calling JF out on the 2 pt debacle(s). I was on board with the first (because you could make it a FG-to-tie game), but the 2nd was definitely absurd once you MISSED THE FIRST. Its just hard to take Jones serious when he's so negative. It's like responding to the constant negative folk here. It just gets tiring.
IMO chasing points in the 1st half is never a good idea!

Does this mean we can run more flea flickers that wind up as intentional grounding? Cause that play was pure gold 😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: ram2020
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT