ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO/NOTES: James Franklin's weekly presser - UMass week

Franklin believes that Big Ten programs will start scheduling easier non-conference opponents with the conference welcoming USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington next year.
First questions: when you have Delaware and UMass on your schedule, can you define “easier”. Does that mean the long awaited game vs Penn is on tap? Geographic rival Bucknell? Cornell is a 2.5 hr bus ride.

First questions: when you have Delaware and UMass on your schedule, can you define “easier”. Does that mean the long awaited game vs Penn is on tap? Geographic rival Bucknell? Cornell is a 2.5 hr bus ride.
He did note later that he doesn't see Penn State changing their scheduling style.

Franklin was highly complimentary of Hunter Nourzad, calling him a great culture fit, well respected in the locker room. Says when he's not in the class room, he's in the weight room.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Quite a few long winded answers this week. Had another one on Manny Diaz that I will pass along when possible.

He was also asked about the Nittany Lions size on the defensive line. He feels the Nittany Lions are bigger on the defensive line this year and are playing bigger in terms of being disruptive, being gap sound, and doing their jobs on a consistent basis.

Franklin said that Zuriah Fisher is someone who he believes has a bright future at Penn State and beyond. Has faught threw some adversity physically and personally, and is getting better and better. Has been making plays for the Nittany Lions all season.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Penn HAS a winning record vs psu.

Ps. Did you complain when joe scheduled Penn?

Franklin believes that Big Ten programs will start scheduling easier non-conference opponents with the conference welcoming USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington next year.
He might want to look at the future schedules of other teams. Can't get easier than Nevada Temple and Syracuse being our tough games

He might want to look at the future schedules of other teams. Can't get easier than Nevada Temple and Syracuse being our tough games
He said he did, and he is the future schedule looks more like Michigan's. Now, he is just hoping the Big10 cooperates and always gives him a conference home game to start the slate, followed by slowly ramping up the competition.

Quite a few long winded answers this week. Had another one on Manny Diaz that I will pass along when possible.

He was also asked about the Nittany Lions size on the defensive line. He feels the Nittany Lions are bigger on the defensive line this year and are playing bigger in terms of being disruptive, being gap sound, and doing their jobs on a consistent basis.
Apparently, a lot of fans can't get past year weights out of their granite brains to allow the present weights to register.

He said he did, and he is the future schedule looks more like Michigan's. Now, he is just hoping the Big10 cooperates and always gives him a conference home game to start the slate, followed by slowly ramping up the competition.
Looks like Michigan's this year not their quality schedule moving forward.

Why is Franklin even commenting on this during the season that PSU is playing both Delaware and UMass? If I was him, I would be embarrassed to talk about PSU's schedule right now and trying to change the topic. I have never seen an OOC schedule as bad as this one. I went back through some old ones, and the worst I can find prior to this was FIU, Buffalo, Notre Dame and Temple in 2007 (Notre Dame was pretty bad that year). But even that feels like it was better than this.

That is difficult to watch. I am not a fan of Cory's and I don't think CJF wanted to show him up but it was painful. Cory tweeted out that he is getting hateful tweets but anyone in the public eye gets hateful tweets even if you tweet out something like "I like Ice Cream".

CJF seems to be saying that he values every possession. However, to Cory's point, does it ever make sense when you are 3rd and 25, to just chuck it up hail-mary style. You can hope your WR comes down with it. You can hope the ref calls an interference call. Or, it can be intercepted but looks like a punt anyway (40 yards downfield). If it is incomplete, who cares?

I get the impression the guy is not well liked by CJF or the reporters.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
Looks like Michigan's this year not their quality schedule moving forward.

scUM had no way of knowing that U-Dub, Oregon, USC and UCLA were joining - these OOC opponents were scheduled years ago dipshit. What CJF said is that scheduling going forward will likely be impacted by the new Conference additions and future OOC opponents will likely be softer.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
scUM had no way of knowing that U-Dub, Oregon, USC and UCLA were joining - these OOC opponents were scheduled years ago dipshit. What CJF said is that scheduling going forward will likely be impacted by the new Conference additions and future OOC opponents will likely be softer.
how can it get any softer than this year?

not that i disagree... after expansion the conference schedules alone will create a very high sos rank for everyone in the B1G

Well, considering Penn State last played Penn in 1958, the answer has to be "no."

Why is Franklin even commenting on this during the season that PSU is playing both Delaware and UMass? If I was him, I would be embarrassed to talk about PSU's schedule right now and trying to change the topic. I have never seen an OOC schedule as bad as this one. I went back through some old ones, and the worst I can find prior to this was FIU, Buffalo, Notre Dame and Temple in 2007 (Notre Dame was pretty bad that year). But even that feels like it was better than this.

Might want to check some previous schedules as an independent. Army, Navy, Air force, Syracuse, wvu, Maryland, Ohio bobcats.

Well, considering Penn State last played Penn in 1958, the answer has to be "no."
And about 1978ish was ranked at the bottom of the top 20. There was less of a distance between D-1AA (as it was called) and just over a decade earlier there was no division separation. Hence Ed Marinaro (Cornell) placing 2nd for the Heisman in 1973 or so.

Playing them now would be silly as it is to play Villanova and Delaware. The addition of the 12th game was supposed to benefit people. Instead it added to the money grab games.

So my point is if the bar is something like Delaware for Big ten teams, what could possibly be “easier” and acceptable.

I'll be in the minority here, but I didn't think it was a ridiculous question. Notwithstanding the disdain all have for this reporter, I don't think its a crazy question in the least.....I think Franklin really went out of his way to embarrass this guy, which may be for good reason. Franklin cannot tell me that coaches at all levels don't call a couple deep shots a game with simple one on one coverage to a receiver we think can win that battle. In fact, outside of this year, I'm fairly certain we have done this often. At the end of the day, what precisely is the "dreaded" fade route to a predetermined receiver with the QB getting the ball and immediately throwing it to the corner of the endzone? I know Franklin would naturally be offended by what he would term the "oversimplification" of football.....but let's not forget how adverse Franklin was to a qb under center for years. In fact, our new short yardage play is a QB sneak with 2 guys hoisting the qb forward. Does anyone else find it hard to believe that Franklin's skin "curls" at the idea of throwing a deep ball to his #1 receiver absent the QB reading all of his routes? I mean....really? We never did that with Jahan or KJ? Just take a shot to back the defense up or draw a PI? Don't teams actually enact that at all levels of football? And yes....I would think it makes some sense for Allar to do that early in games from time to time and I suspect we'll see it.

Reactions: Obliviax
I'll be in the minority here, but I didn't think it was a ridiculous question. Notwithstanding the disdain all have for this reporter, I don't think its a crazy question in the least.....I think Franklin really went out of his way to embarrass this guy, which may be for good reason. Franklin cannot tell me that coaches at all levels don't call a couple deep shots a game with simple one on one coverage to a receiver we think can win that battle. In fact, outside of this year, I'm fairly certain we have done this often. At the end of the day, what precisely is the "dreaded" fade route to a predetermined receiver with the QB getting the ball and immediately throwing it to the corner of the endzone? I know Franklin would naturally be offended by what he would term the "oversimplification" of football.....but let's not forget how adverse Franklin was to a qb under center for years. In fact, our new short yardage play is a QB sneak with 2 guys hoisting the qb forward. Does anyone else find it hard to believe that Franklin's skin "curls" at the idea of throwing a deep ball to his #1 receiver absent the QB reading all of his routes? I mean....really? We never did that with Jahan or KJ? Just take a shot to back the defense up or draw a PI? Don't teams actually enact that at all levels of football? And yes....I would think it makes some sense for Allar to do that early in games from time to time and I suspect we'll see it.
I bet PSU would throw a Hail Mary if behind with only seconds to play.

Agree but I've seen Cory's colleagues tweeting this out with glee. Tells me that he isn't well liked or they'd have his back.

Reactions: lazydave841
I bet PSU would throw a Hail Mary if behind with only seconds to play.
But at no other time does he throw a jump ball to a predetermined reciever other than that? How do you explain the fade route 25 yards outside of the endzone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT