ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to Nebraska

That place is toxic with unrealistic expectations. They will have a difficult time getting a top coach.

Urban Meyer's strength is recruiting and he won't take a HC job at a school with a weak HS recruiting base. Take a look at Nebraska's 300 to 400 mile radius and then compare it to OSU's and Florida's - his past jobs. Maybe a school in Texas, Georgia, California or Florida. But Nebraska ? They only have 1.9 million people in the entire state

Urban Meyer's strength is recruiting and he won't take a HC job at a school with a weak HS recruiting base. Take a look at Nebraska's 300 to 400 mile radius and then compare it to OSU's and Florida's - his past jobs. Maybe a school in Texas, Georgia, California or Florida. But Nebraska ? They only have 1.9 million people in the entire state
Osborne seemed to get around it idk..

Osborne and Nebraska recruited HEAVILY in Texas back in his day. Keep in mind, they use to be in the B1g 8-12 way back when. They no longer have the draw in Texas that they use to have since they moved to the B1G
I also think there were vastly different scholly limits weren't there. They would stack folks deep.

Reactions: bison13
No, not a good take. If Meyer coaches again it will be at a sleazy SEC school. Nebraska is not an attractive job at this point.
I agree Nebraska isn't an attractive position but maybe someone from a Big XII school might want to gamble on them. Matt Campbell? Lance Leipold?

I don't think with the current roles Urban is limited to the SEC--he could go anywhere with the portal and love life.

Reactions: diontechristmas
The Huskers need a stable and solid program builder.

Someone like Campbell, Dave Clawson or even the guy at Kansas. Unfortunately, Trev Alberts is the AD and a certifiable steak head.

Reactions: scbob and hlstone
I agree Nebraska isn't an attractive position but maybe someone from a Big XII school might want to gamble on them. Matt Campbell? Lance Leipold?

I don't think with the current roles Urban is limited to the SEC--he could go anywhere with the portal and love life.
Agree, just posted something similar. The need a solid guy that can build the program and give him some time. These guys aren’t sexy but are really good coaches who paid dues and rebuilt programs.

Of course Fickell will be mentioned but doubt his next move will be Nebraska.

The Huskers need a stable and solid program builder.
Someone like Campbell, Dave Clawson or even the guy at Kansas. Unfortunately, Trev Alberts is the AD and a certifiable steak head.
If they can get Urban, they should do that. He’s a pretty good program builder.

Agree, just posted something similar. The need a solid guy that can build the program and give him some time. These guys aren’t sexy but are really good coaches who paid dues and rebuilt programs.

Of course Fickell will be mentioned but doubt his next move will be Nebraska.
100% agree about Fickell--he'll be rumored but I'd be shocked if it happened
And, yes, they need to bring someone in that can build a program which is why Gary Patterson (or Troy Calhoun) makes so much sense

Reactions: diontechristmas
Osborne and Nebraska recruited HEAVILY in Texas back in his day. Keep in mind, they use to be in the B1g 8-12 way back when. They no longer have the draw in Texas that they use to have since they moved to the B1G

Don't forget the 40 trips to the Orange Bowl helping them recruit Florida for RBs LBs and CBs. They also ran the option, so Tom always found those QBs who were super athletes, but not NFL types to run the offense.

PEDs didn't hurt either.

Don't forget the 40 trips to the Orange Bowl helping them recruit Florida for RBs LBs and CBs. They also ran the option, so Tom always found those QBs who were super athletes, but not NFL types to run the offense.

PEDs didn't hurt either.
Enter Troy Calhoun

Has it been said that Nebraska also stupid for not waiting 20 days and cutting the buyout in half?

It would be an intriguing hire. Is he willing to leave AF? He seems to have stability there.
Agreed--I think he loves his life at Air Force. They're thrilled with the program and when they do have a bad 5-7 year it's no big deal. But, I do think he'd be a great fit

Reactions: lazydave841
They also had some great I backs as they called it from New Jersey.

Auburn or A&M has Urban written all over it..or LSU, if Kelly really craps the bed. Can’t you see Auburn paying Urban like 20 mil a year in a desperate bid to catch Bama?
Yes I can especially with Saban getting up there in age.

And, yes, they need to bring someone in that can build a program which is why Gary Patterson (or Troy Calhoun) makes so much sense
Luke will be entering a more winnable Big XII shortly. You need a young splash name like Gattis or Hartline to build a program, recruit it, and have the fans be patient with the rebuild.

Luke will be entering a more winnable Big XII shortly. You need a young splash name like Gattis or Hartline to build a program, recruit it, and have the fans be patient with the rebuild.
I don't think any coach should be trying to stay in the Big XII if the Big Ten or SEC come calling since you don't know what the future is of the Big XII. But Fickell is likely holding out for something he'd consider special or elite--that's not Nebraska in 2022

I don't think any coach should be trying to stay in the Big XII if the Big Ten or SEC come calling since you don't know what the future is of the Big XII. But Fickell is likely holding out for something he'd consider special or elite--that's not Nebraska in 2022
Probably ND if any , i don't see Freeman lasting long there.

Nebraska is actually a pretty good job and they should do okay in the BIG West, but the fans and school expect championships and that isn't happening. Their recruiting has been okay under Frost but results have not. They need a slimy coach who can recruit dirty and effectively, have no problem cutting players loose, and go heavy in the portal to be effective again. Need to cycle about 40 players per year in order to keep swinging for the fences as much as possible with recruits. The more 3 stars with good athletic ability you bring in, the more likely you are to hit on a few winners. Keep the wheat and cut the chaff. It's not how you should run a program but can be effective.

Word is Urban's already on the Nebraska campus checking out the young, available coeds

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT