ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Administrative Leave

Doesn't there have to be some nexus to the mandatory reporter's job to mandate a report? Otherwise, they'd be liable anytime they came across any type of situation that required reporting, even if they weren't involved. Can't believe that's the standard.

Not sure. The actual laws vary from state to state. It is very nebulous, so it's possible that what I read was not correct. If she counseled this woman as a nurse, though, she definitely was mandated, even if it was not in a facility.

Reactions: step.eng69
Not sure. The actual laws vary from state to state. It is very nebulous, so it's possible that what I read was not correct. If she counseled this woman as a nurse, though, she definitely was mandated, even if it was not in a facility.

No, that I could see. It just seems hard to believe that if a mandatory reporter is at the grocery store and witnesses a person being abused that they have a mandatory duty to report it or face legal consequences.

Meyer's wife is a mandatory reporter, as an RN. This could get dicey. If they claim she didn't tell anybody what she knew, she can be prosecuted.
I'm not sure this would apply to her since Smith's wife wasn't an employee or student. The policy in an employment context talks about reporting things that would impact someone's job performance or create a hostile work environment. It makes no reference to the spouse or significant other of a university community member as being covered by this policy:
https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115-faq-general.pdf

Reactions: Zenophile
I'll wait for this to play out. Urb supported Joe so he deserves that.

I feel much the same way. I feel schadenfreude for Lou Ann Simon. Not here. He also went to Joe's funeral, hired two of his former assistants and defended one (Schiano) when he lost his chance at a head coaching job due to the Sandusky situation, and did not chase after PSU players when the NCAA made it open season on them.

What we have here is the same kind of feeding frenzy that happened to us. It's one thing to punish the guilty--but these days our society seems to have an expectation that "everyone knows" and "everyone is responsible" (especially if "everyone" isn't "me") and the past is judged on the present. That's the pendulum swinging in the wrong direction.

And that ladies and gentlemen is your Portland Cement Crack of the Week.
....that is, until Greg Scriano is named head coach. And Reverend Johnson will serve as D.C. provided OSU first calls Disney World and sources one of those "extra duty" jumbo-sized adult strollers you see all of the SEC fans riding around in. :D

No, that I could see. It just seems hard to believe that if a mandatory reporter is at the grocery store and witnesses a person being abused that they have a mandatory duty to report it or face legal consequences.
Our society is starting to get to that point, however. The mere accusation--of almost anything that is seen as "bad"--can cost a job.

I'll wait for this to play out. Urb supported Joe so he deserves that.
I also agree with this sentiment. Urban had great respect for JoePa and knowing what the fake news media, BOT, Delaney, Emmert and Scew-Anna did to PSU and Joe, I would like to see this play out in a formal way before I reserve judgement.

Of course things will be handled differently by the Big-prick 10 with OSU since the are not the red headed stepchild that Penn State has been.

I'm not sure this would apply to her since Smith's wife wasn't an employee or student. The policy in an employment context talks about reporting things that would impact someone's job performance or create a hostile work environment. It makes no reference to the spouse or significant other of a university community member as being covered by this policy:
https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115-faq-general.pdf

In some states, every citizen is a mandated reporter.

Reactions: step.eng69
Don't believe that she is required to report. According the laws in Ohio mandatory reporting is only required if you are treating the patient.

The Ohio Revised Code (ORC section 2921.22) requires that health care providers who suspect or
identify that a patient is abused must document or write that assessment in the patient’s medical
record. Patients who identify that they have been abused can use the information recorded in the
medical record at a later time for civil or criminal remedies.
The Ohio State Title IX reporting requirements are stricter, but I don't think they apply to assaults on coaches wives unless they also work for or attend the university.

The Ohio State Title IX reporting requirements are stricter, but I don't think they apply to assaults on coaches wives unless they also work for or attend the university.
I actually know that it is based on a sliding scale that involves your winning percentage against Michigan and the amount of revenue that your particular sport brings in to the university coffers. ;)

I also agree with this sentiment. Urban had great respect for JoePa and knowing what the fake news media, BOT, Delaney, Emmert and Scew-Anna did to PSU and Joe, I would like to see this play out in a formal way before I reserve judgement.

Of course things will be handled differently by the Big-prick 10 with OSU since the are not the red headed stepchild that Penn State has been.
I truly believe that if Joe were with us, he would ask us to be fair and let the process play out.

You seem to have a lot of anger. And, you don't have to wait on anything (formal or otherwise) to reserve judgement.

Meyer's wife is a mandatory reporter, as an RN. This could get dicey. If they claim she didn't tell anybody what she knew, she can be prosecuted.

Wow... never thought if that. Looks like Sciano is all set to step in... OSU will not lose a step.,, disruption , yes... but their coaching staff is solid.

Wow... never thought if that. Looks like Sciano is all set to step in... OSU will not lose a step.,, disruption , yes... but their coaching staff is solid.

I would suspect they are going to lose quite a few steps when/if the head coach who is generally thought to be one of the best around is fired.

Go over to Eleven Warriors if you have a chance. They honestly believe ole Urbs did nothing wrong. What a culture.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Investigation to follow...somehow we're going to need to believe his wife didn't share that info with him. It will be a pretty hard sell if they try to, but this buys them time.

The wolves are already circling. I have mixed feelings. If he had a known wife abuser on his staff and covered for him or ignored it, he deserves getting the axe. On the other hand, this is bringing back bad memories in terms of how the press and opposing fans jump to conclusions and love to railroad successful prominent people before anyone really knows what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT