ADVERTISEMENT

Unreasonable expectations

Ohio state had 10 senior starters in 2017
It’s a fucin factory! OSU is a factory. We are not.

We don’t ‘re’ anything. This is a 3 loss probably 4 loss defense with about five positions still up for grabs.

Why is everyone so freakin shocked? Bowen and Bucholz killed this defense plus we have no expetience up front beyond Givens and Windsor. Are they all big ten? No. We are what we are - good and hopefully we’ll develop some players this year. We are not nor ever were playoff contenders. Like the OP I said 9-3 and where was all this hype coming from?

Great effort vs OSU. Total f up vs MSU. Get ready for next week and play your way into becoming good by the end of the year. Not complicated.

We are never going to be elite with Franklin. He is an average coach who is a great recruiter. That makes him a good coach. You need to be a hell of a lot better than a good coach if you want to compete for the B1G every year.

We will continue to be good. 8-4 to 10-2 on a regular basis good. Once every 4-5 years if all of the bounces go our way (like 2016) we might win the B1G and end up ranked 6-9 heading into bowl games. Franklin isn't a guy who will take us to the promise land (the CFB playoff) but he's going to be consistently good.
BS. Go back to the video game.

Ok, using your numbers, how fast did USC bounce back? Oh wait, they still haven’t. Yet we have a Big championship and a NY6 bowl win in far less time. Bottom line, sanctions usually hurt for a lot of years, so to ignore them simply because CJF has had success is very short sighted. If he came in on a level playing field, then you might have an argument, but he didn’t so it’s impossible to say that the sanctions shouldn’t still be having an effect on the program (all evidence points to the opposite).

Lmao. They won the big ten championship and a ny6 bowl the last two years but the lingering effects of sanctions are why the 2018 Penn state football team blew a lead to a crappy Michigan state team at home coming off a bye 7 days after the same Michigan state team lost to a bad northwestern team. Yup defintely the sanctions. I can’t wait to hear about sanctions for the next decade because you undoubtedly will be using them as an excuse for atleast that long given smu still hasn’t recovered.

Lmao. They won the big ten championship and a ny6 bowl the last two years but the lingering effects of sanctions are why the 2018 Penn state football team blew a lead to a crappy Michigan state team at home coming off a bye 7 days after the same Michigan state team lost to a bad northwestern team. Yup defintely the sanctions. I can’t wait to hear about sanctions for the next decade because you undoubtedly will be using them as an excuse for atleast that long given smu still hasn’t recovered.
What's your point, Debbie Downer?

Fire Franklin? Hire you?

Reactions: 81b&w
What's your point, Debbie Downer?

Fire Franklin? Hire you?

I like Franklin and don’t think there’s anyone I’d rather have that’s realistically coming. I can still be objective and see that dropping games they lead in the 4th quarter to mediocre teams is not a good thing and blaming sanctions that impacted none of the classes left at psu outside of the 5th year seniors is a load of crap (blaming sanction for the loss is a load of crap is the point since you asked). Northwestern beat Michigan state last week. If your expectations for this team this season was northwesternesque we’d still be coming up short.

Glad you think the team kicked ass on Saturday and looked as good as could be expected.

We are just not there up front. The interior lines of both sides of the ball are middle of the pack in the B10 at best. It's just a fact. Until that changes I do not see us being elite.
Well said and 100% accurate. Nick Saban recruits the nations top DT's & OL harder than any other position. To date few coaches have been able to pry these kids away from Alabama. Nothing would make me happier if Coach Franklin could get a handful of these kids.

How do you expect me (or others) to take you seriously when you make assumptions like that?

You call me a Debbie downer for saying sanctions aren’t an excuse for that performance you come off as a sunshine pumper.

I like Franklin and don’t think there’s anyone I’d rather have that’s realistically coming. I can still be objective and see that dropping games they lead in the 4th quarter to mediocre teams is not a good thing and blaming sanctions that impacted none of the classes left at psu outside of the 5th year seniors is a load of crap (blaming sanction for the loss is a load of crap is the point since you asked). Northwestern beat Michigan state last week. If your expectations for this team this season was northwesternesque we’d still be coming up short.

Glad you think the team kicked ass on Saturday and looked as good as could be expected.
If it weren't for scholarship limitations, Troy Apke, Grant Haley, Christian Campbell, Jason Cabinda and Saeed Blacknall would have redshirted as Freshman and been playing this season. Gesicki and Marcus Allen could have potentially been on this team as well. As much as you wish to pretend the sanctions don't matter, you're wrong.

Here's a question, how's that $60MM fine helping our ability to retain assistant coaches(think Gattis) and upgrade the facilities?

You are a Downer. We get that you're not happy with the way the team played/is playing. I think you've run out of reasonable things to say. Have a good evening.

You haven’t said anything at all. Glad you enjoyed the game and disagree with me that it was a disappointing performance.

If it weren't for scholarship limitations, Troy Apke, Grant Haley, Christian Campbell, Jason Cabinda and Saeed Blacknall would have redshirted as Freshman and been playing this season. Gesicki and Marcus Allen could have potentially been on this team as well. As much as you wish to pretend the sanctions don't matter, you're wrong.

Here's a question, how's that $60MM fine helping our ability to retain assistant coaches(think Gattis) and upgrade the facilities?

Haha now it’s the fine. Enjoy beating that drum after every loss for the next few years it’s not gonna get old.

We are gonna have a first year starter at QB next year. Just teeing that excuse up for you both since I know it’ll get a workout as well.

Not an excuse...margin of error is less because just now getting depth...so a few key injuries and voila...the back ups are not quite what they need to be to maintain and you lose a couple of very close games...best talent is Frosh and RS Frosh

You haven’t said anything at all. Glad you enjoyed the game and disagree with me that it was a disappointing performance.

Haha now it’s the fine. Enjoy beating that drum after every loss for the next few years it’s not gonna get old.

We are gonna have a first year starter at QB next year. Just teeing that excuse up for you both since I know it’ll get a workout as well.
The team didn't play well and we got beat. We could have lost with all those guys being 5th year seniors, we'll never know.

You don't think financial resources make an impact? It would be great to be like an SEC school and stash away former HC's on the staff as consultants.

Not an excuse...margin of error is less because just now getting depth...so a few key injuries and voila...the back ups are not quite what they need to be to maintain and you lose a couple of very close games...best talent is Frosh and RS Frosh

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/77/northwestern-wildcats

Northwestern went on the road and beat this team by 10 after dropping three games in a row including losses to duke and Akron. Who has more talent, penn state or northwestern?

The team didn't play well and we got beat. We could have lost with all those guys being 5th year seniors, we'll never know.

You don't think financial resources make an impact? It would be great to be like an SEC school and stash away former HC's on the staff as consultants.

How much does northwesterns staff make?

As a private school, the info isn't available. Have you seen their new indoor practice facility?

Penn state doesn’t publish assistant salaries so what’s your point? You think they have a higher paid staff and more talented roster than Penn state?

We could lose to Rutgers and people here would be ok with it cuz sanctions.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/77/northwestern-wildcats

Northwestern went on the road and beat this team by 10 after dropping three games in a row including losses to duke and Akron. Who has more talent, penn state or northwestern?
Penn State...but games are played on field and margin is reduced...Penn State absolutely should have won the game...on paper...who should have won PSU vs OSU 2 years ago? Or OSU vs Iowa last year...Michigan State has a good game plan and executed it well...Penn State’s offense played poorly...Oenn State’s defense missed several fairly easy game closing plays...stuff happens...

Penn state doesn’t publish assistant salaries so what’s your point? You think they have a higher paid staff and more talented roster than Penn state?
You asked a question about Northwestern and I answered. It seems as though you can't engage in reasonable discussion.

Penn State...but games are played on field and margin is reduced...Penn State absolutely should have won the game...on paper...who should have won PSU vs OSU 2 years ago? Or OSU vs Iowa last year...Michigan State has a good game plan and executed it well...Penn State’s offense played poorly...Oenn State’s defense missed several fairly easy game closing plays...stuff happens...

But saying they should have won the game is somehow unacceptable to the polyannas and sunshine pumpers.

You asked a question about Northwestern and I answered. It seems as though you can't engage in reasonable discussion.

You stated the fine was impacting coaches salaries when you have no idea what our assistants make because we, like northwestern, don’t release that information.

You stated the fine was impacting coaches salaries when you have no idea what our assistants make because we, like northwestern, don’t release that information.
According to the latest figures available in the Equity in Athletics database, our debt service came in at $8.377MM. The total spent on ALL assistant coaches for all men's programs came in close to $8MM(41 FTEs x $195k avg.). It's not hard to figure out the extra money could be used to get higher profile assistants or not lose guys to lateral moves.

ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

If financial resources were such a problem, then why does Sandy hire so many assistant ADs?

At the beginning of the season I was asked about my prediction for the season and said 9 and 3 at best. The loss of so many starters from 2017, the loss of 2 medical retirements and a new OC in 2018 made it clear to me that we were in a regrouping year.

There were far too many expectations for a team with 3 senior starters.

I wouldn't say "at best". But I agreed pre-season that 9-3 was the most likely outcome.

According to the latest figures available in the Equity in Athletics database, our debt service came in at $8.377MM. The total spent on ALL assistant coaches for all men's programs came in close to $8MM(41 FTEs x $195k avg.). It's not hard to figure out the extra money could be used to get higher profile assistants or not lose guys to lateral moves.

ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

So I say Michigan state is a lousy football team that was beat last week by another lousy football team and Penn state should have beaten Michigan state. And your response is, we don’t pay our assistants enough, because of sanctions, to expect them to beat bad football teams? I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding.

At the beginning of the season I was asked about my prediction for the season and said 9 and 3 at best. The loss of so many starters from 2017, the loss of 2 medical retirements and a new OC in 2018 made it clear to me that we were in a regrouping year.

There were far too many expectations for a team with 3 senior starters.
Stop making sense.

That's revisionist history at its finest.

Here are some actual numbers:

Penn State:

Players who leveraged their free-transfer rights in July 2012: 9. MINUS 9.
February 2013: Could only sign 15 instead of 25. MINUS 10.
February 2014: Could only sign 20 instead of 25. MINUS 5.
Feburary 2015: Could sign the usual 25. MINUS 0.

Total loss = 24

USC:

February 2012: Could only sign 15 instead of 25. MINUS 10.
February 2013: Could only sign 15 instead of 25. MINUS 10.
February 2014: Could only sign 15 instead of 25. MINUS 10.
February 2015: Could sign the usual 25. MINUS 0.

Total loss = 30

USC's recruiting rankings did not drop off much during those years like ours did.

You are missing my point. My point is that teams that have double digit # of Senior starters are usually more experienced, bigger and stronger than those with 3 senior starers..

14 starters on this team have been in the program 4 or 5 years (seniors/5th year seniors in terms of class standing if not eligibility). We must have a shit s&c program.

Dominant deep lines lead to winning teams. A dominant OL can make an average running back look great. A dominant OL gives a QB plenty of time to find an open receiver. The dominant DL can make an average secondary look great and great running backs look average. It's not rocket science. You want to be elite, recruit the best linemen and lots of them.

Reactions: RU31trap
So I say Michigan state is a lousy football team that was beat last week by another lousy football team and Penn state should have beaten Michigan state. And your response is, we don’t pay our assistants enough, because of sanctions, to expect them to beat bad football teams? I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding.
I said nothing close to that.

Please show me where I said the sanctions were why we lost to MSU....I would love to see that. I’m saying when people are judging Franklin and the job he’s doing, the sanctions have to be considered and can’t just be pushed aside as being an excuse. We’re not where we need to be in terms of depth...gee, I wonder why. Must be because Franklin is terrible.

2016 should have never happened if the situation is as dire as you paint it. I assume you think expectations need to be low next year since the QB will be a first year starter.
Honestly, we got a little lucky that season--and did have some really good skill players (NFL quality) that disguised issues on the lines a bit. Our skill level is just a little off this season. Also, Michigan State was really bad that season (2016).

For next season? I'm not sure. Always tough with a new QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT