ADVERTISEMENT

UM vs UW -- who do we want to win and why?

Who do we want to win?

• Michigan -- want them in the top 10 when we beat them in November

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Wisconsin -- need them to hover in the top 25 since we already beat them

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Wisconsin -- because we never want Michigan to win anything

Votes: 108 69.7%

• Total voters
This^^^^I hope all the East teams lose….rack up their loss numbers.
Your'e hoping that the east teams loose? Penn State is #4 in the nation? Why would you believe that diminishing the competition would help My University?
Thought you and that other fella, fastxlax, determined that PENN STATE was #4 due to quality wins. Now you want My University to play one and two loss teams to improve My University's football standing in the Associated Pisser poles!
Go figure...

Your'e hoping that the east teams loose? Penn State is #4 in the nation? Why would you believe that diminishing the competition would help My University?
Thought you and that other fella, fastxlax, determined that PENN STATE was #4 due to quality wins. Now you want My University to play one and two loss teams to improve My University's football standing in the Associated Pisser poles!
Go figure...

You seem out of touch. The polls don’t matter and don’t determine who makes the playoff which is why it’s funny you care about them.

I want to make the btcg. Michigan losing cross divisional games (or divisional) opens up additional paths to that happening, just like it did in 2016. since we aren’t likely to go undefeated I’ll root for everyone else to get to two so we don’t end up in some situation where it’s decided by tiebreakers. If we do happen to go undefeated, Michigan could lose all their remaining games and it wouldn’t matter.

If you want to explain how it would have been better for Penn State if Michigan had beaten Iowa in 2016 I’m all ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctornick
Go figure...
Same reason Eagle fans want the Cowboys to lose, or Dodgers fans want the Giants to lose, or the Lakers want the Warriors to lose. I know you’re trying to tie this post in to our last disagreement, but at least find a way to do it that makes sense. My number one goal for My University is to win the Big 10….the playoffs are just a bonus if they happen, so anything that helps My University to win the conference, that’s what I want to happen….do you follow?

We want Michigan to lose. We need them to realize they are truly losers. Winning gives them too much confidence. And we want Rutgers to shit can Ohio State. Excuse my French.
I think it’s appropriate to use Ohio state as an expletive in any context…

Except a win keeps Harbaugh as head coach. Lose to W, us and OSU and they will fire him. As long as he stays it’s a win for us.
I have often said that I would rather have a sister be a prostitute than a Michigan football fan. Any foe of UM football is a friend of mine.
I will add that their fans were friendly at the 2005 gane in Ann Arbor.

You seem out of touch. The polls don’t matter and don’t determine who makes the playoff which is why it’s funny you care about them.

I’m all ears
There ya two go again with “your hypotheticals” …. I don’t give a rats a$$ where My University’s football team lands in the a$$ wipe polls.

You two started chocking you chickens in another post when I commented that IMO My University’s FB team was ranked too high.

By the way cowboy, Howdy Doody was also “all ears”.

In another post one of you
slandered, maligned, falsely represented and unfairly judged my character in a statement ….”my bitc.hing the run game”.
I have not knowingly or recall in my 50+ alumnus yrs ever publicly criticizing any of our players, disappointed on occasion with field performance, yes.

You really should find another word than “bitching” when referring to one’s complaining, it sounds like two female dogs trying to mate. Also, the term is used to describe male on male intercourse.

Now have a nice remainder of the day and as grumpy old men like me say…..
Get off my lawn and leave me the hell alone, kid.

😎

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BBrown
Mate, are you using your hypothetico-deductive method again or is this insider information?
IDK, if they are just using the win/loss record and everything else is "window dressing" wouldn't we have gotten in in 2016?
I mean all we heard about was the loss to pitt and the bad loss to Michigan and the "eye test".
So IMO its not quite as simplistic as the won/loss record. JMO.

Reactions: step.eng69
IDK, if they are just using the win/loss record and everything else is "window dressing" wouldn't we have gotten in in 2016?
I mean all we heard about was the loss to pitt and the bad loss to Michigan and the "eye test".

How many losses did the 4 teams that made the playoff have in 2016? How many did we have?

As for 'B1G East' standings, Michigan's record vs. B1G West teams do not matter, correct? It's their W/L vs other B1G East teams. So, if they lose to Wisconsin, and have a better divisional record than us or OSU, they're in the championship game no matter what happens with Wisconsin. Once divisional records are sorted out, it's overall, then head to head, then ranking, right?

There ya two go again with “your hypotheticals” …. I don’t give a rats a$$ where My University’s football team lands in the a$$ wipe polls.

You two started chocking you chickens in another post when I commented that IMO My University’s FB team was ranked too high.

By the way cowboy, Howdy Doody was also “all ears”.

In another post one of you
slandered, maligned, falsely represented and unfairly judged my character in a statement ….”my bitc.hing the run game”.
I have not knowingly or recall in my 50+ alumnus yrs ever publicly criticizing any of our players, disappointed on occasion with field performance, yes.

You really should find another word than “bitching” when referring to one’s complaining, it sounds like two female dogs trying to mate. Also, the term is used to describe male on male intercourse.

Now have a nice remainder of the day and as grumpy old men like me say…..
Get off my lawn and leave me the hell alone, kid.

😎

So sell me on why Michigan beating Iowa would have been better for Penn State in 2016. Because it’s same argument as why it’s better for them to beat Wisconsin in 2021 only we have the benefit of seeing how it would have played out, so it’s not hypothetical.

So go on, use your years of experience and explain it.

As for 'B1G East' standings, Michigan's record vs. B1G West teams do not matter, correct? It's their W/L vs other B1G East teams. So, if they lose to Wisconsin, and have a better divisional record than us or OSU, they're in the championship game no matter what happens with Wisconsin. Once divisional records are sorted out, it's overall, then head to head, then ranking, right?
"eye test" that is all.;)

How many losses did the 4 teams that made the playoff have in 2016? How many did we have?

OSU got in despite playing one fewer game than us. Easy to keep losses down when you don't play as many games as others. We had two losses, but also one more win, won head to head vs. OSU, had wins over two top ten opponents, and won the conference championship. And we were still left out because of the Pitt loss. What's funny is the Big XII was left out of early CFP games because they didn't have that Conference Championship game. But, quite obvious winning it doesn't matter if you have more than one loss.

Reactions: BBrown

It’s big ten record that matters. Divisional and h2h only comes into play for tiebreakers.

OSU got in despite playing one fewer game than us. Easy to keep losses down when you don't play as many games as others. We had two losses, but also one more win, won head to head vs. OSU, had wins over two top ten opponents, and won the conference championship. And we were still left out because of the Pitt loss. What's funny is the Big XII was left out of early CFP games because they didn't have that Conference Championship game. But, quite obvious winning it doesn't matter if you have more than one loss.

That was my point. Despite all data points available including a h2h win and conference title, it boiled down to the number in the loss column.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Had OSU also lost to NW that year, we would have had a better chance to get in, which is why a UM loss to Wiscy would be a good thing.

Reactions: Midnighter2
So sell me on why Michigan beating Iowa would have been better for Penn State in 2016. Because it’s same argument as why it’s better for them to beat Wisconsin in 2021 only we have the benefit of seeing how it would have played out, so it’s not hypothetical.

So go on, use your years of experience and explain it.
I don't have any yrs of coaching football or AD experience at the D1 college level, which many members of the CF Playoff are comprised.
Here is a list of persons to contact for the real explanation on selection of teams, not the public perceived explaination.

Barry Alvarez (2014, 2015, 2016)
Frank Beamer (2017, 2018, 2019)
Jeff Bower (2016, 2017, 2018)
Joe Castiglione (2018, 2019, 2020)
Herb Deromedi (2016, 2017, 2018)
Mike Gould (2014, 2015)
Pat Haden (2014)
Ken Hatfield (2018, 2019, 2020)
Kirby Hocutt (2015, 2016, 2017; Chairman in 2016, 2017)
Chris Howard (2017, 2018, 2019)
Tom Jernstedt (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Bobby Johnson (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Jeff Long (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017; Chairman in 2014, 2015)
Ronnie Lott (2018, 2019, 2020)
Oliver Luck (2014)
Terry Mohajir (2019, 2020)
Rob Mullens (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019; Chairman in 2018, 2019)
Ray Odierno (2019, 2020)
Tom Osborne (2014, 2015)
Dan Radakovich (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Condoleezza Rice (2014, 2015, 2016)
R.C. Slocum (2019, 2020)
Gene Smith (2017, 2018)
Todd Stansbury (2018, 2019, 2020)
Scott Stricklin (2018, 2019, 2020)
Mike Tranghese (2014, 2015)
Steve Wieberg (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Tyrone Willingham (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)

I don't have any yrs of coaching football or AD experience at the D1 college level, which many members of the CF Playoff are comprised.
Here is a list of persons to contact for the real explanation on selection of teams, not the public perceived explaination.

Barry Alvarez (2014, 2015, 2016)
Frank Beamer (2017, 2018, 2019)
Jeff Bower (2016, 2017, 2018)
Joe Castiglione (2018, 2019, 2020)
Herb Deromedi (2016, 2017, 2018)
Mike Gould (2014, 2015)
Pat Haden (2014)
Ken Hatfield (2018, 2019, 2020)
Kirby Hocutt (2015, 2016, 2017; Chairman in 2016, 2017)
Chris Howard (2017, 2018, 2019)
Tom Jernstedt (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Bobby Johnson (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Jeff Long (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017; Chairman in 2014, 2015)
Ronnie Lott (2018, 2019, 2020)
Oliver Luck (2014)
Terry Mohajir (2019, 2020)
Rob Mullens (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019; Chairman in 2018, 2019)
Ray Odierno (2019, 2020)
Tom Osborne (2014, 2015)
Dan Radakovich (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Condoleezza Rice (2014, 2015, 2016)
R.C. Slocum (2019, 2020)
Gene Smith (2017, 2018)
Todd Stansbury (2018, 2019, 2020)
Scott Stricklin (2018, 2019, 2020)
Mike Tranghese (2014, 2015)
Steve Wieberg (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Tyrone Willingham (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)

Sounds like you don’t feel qualified to answer a simple question. Might be time to get put out to pasture. The answer was, it wouldn’t have.

To piggyback off aws here’s another softball for you to duck. would it have benefitted us if OSU had lost to northwestern in 2016? (The answer is yes)

all right guys for pete's sake, what happened to the civility thread?

Step are you ok man? For some reason I thought you didn't get caught up in these forum brouhahas usually
I don't, these two fellows resented that my opinion of Penn States FB ranking was too high, i believe #6 is a nice spot to be. I just don't understand why someone would question my opinion on polls that are someone else's judgement.
Who had the greatest influence in 1994 that elected Nebraska over a far superior PSU Team?

I'm a battle tested senior (older) engineer both in the field and now the office. Face to face confrontations with contractors, threatened...(LOL) you should hear the yelling and screaming from them when I held monthly payments for work performed I felt was not in accordance with Penn Dot 408 specifications.

I like to read the posts on this board, and really not inclined to offer any adverse post to anyone. Half of my 50+ career has been working with contractors in the late 70's and into the early 90's when I had a construction accident that required several operations to correct severe nerve damage in both legs. I missed five yrs of work, and was told by my employer that their insurance company would not cover me if I went back into the field, my employer asked me to get my professional registration at the age of 44 that I would be a great help to the small engineering business. I started the application process and two years later I passed the engineering boards in PA, MD & DE.

Last edited:
I don't, these two fellows resented that my opinion of Penn States FB ranking was too high, i believe #6 is a nice spot to be. I just don't understand why someone would question my opinion on polls that are someone else's judgement.

I'm a battle tested senior (older) engineer both in the field and now the office. Face to face confrontations with contractors, threatened...(LOL) you should hear the yelling and screaming from them when I held monthly payments for work performed I felt was not in accordance with Penn Dot 408 specifications.

I like to read the posts on this board, and really not inclined to offer any adverse post to anyone. Half of my 50+ career has been working with contractors in the late 70's and into the early 90's when I had a construction accident that required several operations to correct severe nerve damage in both legs. I missed five yrs of work, and was told by my employer that their insurance company would not cover me if I went back into the field, my employer asked me to get my professional registration at the age of 44 that I would be a great help to the small engineering business. I started the application process and two years later I passed the engineering boards in PA, MD & DE.
hey I wasn't implying that you couldn't stand up to it lol

sometimes this board is freaky, its no big deal if someone thinks the run game is horrible when someone else doesn't think its so bad or whatever

it isn't worth it to start giant personal arguments, am I right?

hint...I am right....please respect my decision and don't argue with my obvious correctness

I honestly don't know who wins their game Saturday, but I can tell you this, Michigan didn't move the ball at all in the second half of the Rutgers game. They didn't score a point. And Rutgers will be lucky to finish 6-6.

Unless they somehow develop a passing game without Bell, they are going to be lucky to finish 7-5.

sometimes this board is freaky, its no big deal if someone thinks the run game is horrible when someone else doesn't think its so bad or whatever

hint...I am right....please respect my decision and don't argue with my obvious correctness
I'm crying uncle....

Just a little frustrated this year. I have great seats, HC Section on 43 yd line, the recruits and parents are right behind me, the team is 10 ft in front of me and have 5 ft of leg space to get up and walk when my back and legs start giving me issues. Made many acquaintances with players and families over the years. I would be a hypocrite if I criticized any player on the team. Heck, I have fun with both parents and players. When John Urschel was playing, at an opportune down time, Urschel like other players would look at the fans in the bleachers, one time I motioned the John and Isaid quietly...hey John come here. I'd ask him 'John, you keeping up with your grades this month'...from that game on he would sometimes look at me and give me a thumbs up.

My partner and I will probably not make any games this year. This week I told my grandkids to make plans with my seats and parking. $hit, I was so excited, couldn't wait for the season to begin.

Who had the greatest influence that elected Nebraska over a far superior PSU Team?

I like to read the posts on this board, and really not inclined to offer any adverse post to anyone. Half of my 50+ career has been working with contractors in the late 70's and into the early 90's when I had a construction accident that required several operations to correct severe nerve damage in both legs. I missed five yrs of work, and was told by my employer that their insurance company would not cover me if I went back into the field, my employer asked me to get my professional registration at the age 44 that I would be a great help to the small engineering business. I started the application process and two years later I passed the engineering boards in PA, MD & DE.
Penn State Engineering, a great tradition.

Huh? We had 2 losses in 2016. all the teams that made the playoffs have 1 or fewer loss.

If stuff like strength of schedule were important, we would have made the playoffs over Washington that year (despite them having a better record), as they played a crappy schedule.

Reactions: fastlax16
@PSUQBKeeper
I know I've mentioned HC seating around the stadium at track level. So other seat holders understand that HC seating pays the same section donation as the bleacher sections, there is no reduction in donation. In the past, the HC seating (because they are chairs) was $8 or $10 more per game ticket. I remember i was paying about $60 - $70 more per season ticket.
I'm not sure the last few yrs if I'm paying more or not due to the varying ticket prices.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Who had the greatest influence that elected Nebraska over a far superior PSU Team?

Damn, yer a tough dude, 👍🏽 Coming back from that kind of injury is impressive. I will have to be nicer to you from now on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT