ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Warren

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Ok, for the sake of discussion, let’s say Clifford is out for Illinois. I have some confidence that the staff can gameplan around Roberson’s strengths and we’ll see an improvement in his performance, especially against a far weaker D in a better environment. That said, do we think we see just a bit more of Warren at QB in the wildcat, perhaps even throwing as well? What do people think?

Ok, for the sake of discussion, let’s say Clifford is out for Illinois. I have some confidence that the staff can gameplan around Roberson’s strengths and we’ll see an improvement in his performance, especially against a far weaker D in a better environment. That said, do we think we see just a bit more of Warren at QB in the wildcat, perhaps even throwing as well? What do people think?
I think we'll see more of it and with more variations.

Reactions: bison13
I'm sure there are plays designed to have Warren throw from the wildcat formation. But why show your had during a game which should be a win anyway??

Reactions: SoParkLion
I'm sure there are plays designed to have Warren throw from the wildcat formation. But why show your had during a game which should be a win anyway??
At this point I'm not penciling ANY game in as a win. And why not run it, make the other team spend time practicing against it.
I'm really not a fan of holding anything back. Throw the sink at them and let the other teams worry about stopping it. Make them use up their practice time against plays we may never run again.

Yes. Also think there is a real possibility that there will be some changes on the OL for the purpose of running the ball better.

Honestly if they come out and have to run trick plays and different formations to beat a team that had 94 yards this past week they should drop in the polls.

PSU still has a ton more talent, an amazing D, and a better staff. Just play the game like you normally would. Run your bscks, outs to Dotson, and slants. We will be fine and win by 3+ TD.

Reactions: OhioLion and BBrown
I also think it’s a mistake to assume we coast to an easy victory against Illinois without our best DT, unknown status of two RBs and with our backup QB who played very little football all last year due to injury.

I think we’ll win, but don’t think it will be a total breeze.

I also think it’s a mistake to assume we coast to an easy victory against Illinois without our best DT, unknown status of two RBs and with our backup QB who played very little football all last year due to injury.

How do you know Clifford can't play?

Have you seen Illinois play? Right now they are one of the worst P5 teams. We will win easy.

Yes. Also think there is a real possibility that there will be some changes on the OL for the purpose of running the ball better.
This is all just me thinking aloud so don't read into any more than that.
But what or who would they be?
Its not going to be Whiggan. Wormley is out right? What about Dez Holmes? Would they shift Wallace to Guard? I honestly thought Miranda was better at Guard than Center but Its kind of late to be moving him now isn't it? I know they experimented some with Eric Wilson at Center during either Ball St. or Villanova. Would you move Scruggs to Center? he's played it before.
I'm disappointed we haven't at least seen a little of Tengwall. I know many thought he would be seeing some playing time by B1G schedule. And what happened to Jimmy Christ? He was a 4* and would be a RS Freshman.
I guess where I'm going is that outside of shifting the starters around I don't know who you would bring in.🤷‍♂️

Only in short yardage situations

Have you seen Illinois play? Right now they are one of the worst P5 teams. We will win easy.
The only game I saw them play was their first one.
Since then only highlights or in their case low lights.
Wiscy really just destroyed them on defense. If Mertz was any good at all it would have been about 42-0.
But with all our injuries, yea I worry about all of our remaining games.

This is all just me thinking aloud so don't read into any more than that.
But what or who would they be?
Its not going to be Whiggan. Wormley is out right? What about Dez Holmes? Would they shift Wallace to Guard? I honestly thought Miranda was better at Guard than Center but Its kind of late to be moving him now isn't it? I know they experimented some with Eric Wilson at Center during either Ball St. or Villanova. Would you move Scruggs to Center? he's played it before.
I'm disappointed we haven't at least seen a little of Tengwall. I know many thought he would be seeing some playing time by B1G schedule. And what happened to Jimmy Christ? He was a 4* and would be a RS Freshman.
I guess where I'm going is that outside of shifting the starters around I don't know who you would bring in.🤷‍♂️
Wormley is out. I would think they would move Miranda to guard and put Scruggs or Wilson at Center.

Reactions: BBrown
Wildcat= yes

Throwing= no....probably don't need to so why show your hand. Now if we need to sneak something in to beat them then yes:)

Honestly if they come out and have to run trick plays and different formations to beat a team that had 94 yards this past week they should drop in the polls.

PSU still has a ton more talent, an amazing D, and a better staff. Just play the game like you normally would. Run your bscks, outs to Dotson, and slants. We will be fine and win by 3+ TD.
Exactly. The Wildcat with Warren has become too predictable.

Illinois was good enough to beat Nebraska. Did you see how PSU looked vs Iowa without Clifford & Mustipher? I wouldn't take anything for granted.
We are doomed. Actually thought his replacements were okay but got worn down.

I'd be LION if I said no. 🤫😏

If Clifford can come back after Illinois, then you go with Roberson and gameplan around his legs. I understand the difficult circumstances he faced, but that doesn't excuse the two absolutely awful throws deep to Dotson, where he didn't have to read anything or make a pinpoint throw, just chuck it to a huge area and Dotson comes down with the ball. So for me, if Clifford is out for the year, you gotta give Vellieux the practice time now and see what he can give you for the rest of the year.

If Clifford can come back after Illinois, then you go with Roberson and gameplan around his legs. I understand the difficult circumstances he faced, but that doesn't excuse the two absolutely awful throws deep to Dotson, where he didn't have to read anything or make a pinpoint throw, just chuck it to a huge area and Dotson comes down with the ball. So for me, if Clifford is out for the year, you gotta give Vellieux the practice time now and see what he can give you for the rest of the year.
From what I read Roberson and Vellieux are splitting reps.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Illinois was good enough to beat Nebraska. Did you see how PSU looked vs Iowa without Clifford & Mustipher? I wouldn't take anything for granted.
First game of the season.. You think right now with Clifford, PSU is only 6 points better than Wisky?

It seems that the staff had devised a few plays for Warren in goal line situations out of the wildcat, and the option to pass out of that setup was part of the plan. But other than that there is a reason that Warren was recruited as a TE, and I don't look for Warren to line up to take a snap other than in the goal line situations he has already played, or possibly in 3rd or 4th and 1 situations.

If Roberson plays extremely poorly I look for Veilleux to get a shot to play.

Reactions: lazydave841
They may need to take the Iowa approach, go uber vanilla on O and just minimize mistakes at all costs and let the defense carry the team. The D is good enough to do that against everyone left on the schedule besides OSU.

Reactions: BBrown
Did Warren play against IA? I don't recall seeing him and he does not show any stats for the game.

First game of the season.. You think right now with Clifford, PSU is only 6 points better than Wisky?
I think we would beat Wisconsin by more than 6 points if Clifford was healthy (even without Mustipher). I think we went into the game respecting Mertz. Opponents have now seen how much he struggles and they have altered their approach accordingly.

Reactions: lazydave841
After watching Roberson for a little bit I had to go for a long walk during the game. For as long as he's been there I cant imagine him being a good QB. Trace came in against Georgia and you could see his talent, this guy just just doesn't give me any hope. I fear this season is a lost now without Clifford, or another QB emerging.

After watching Roberson for a little bit I had to go for a long walk during the game. For as long as he's been there I cant imagine him being a good QB. Trace came in against Georgia and you could see his talent, this guy just just doesn't give me any hope. I fear this season is a lost now without Clifford, or another QB emerging.
that is my observation. TR has been here 3 years, AND he actually beat out CV for #2, which does not speak well for CV. Trace came in and almost won the Ga game.....in fact my reaction was how did Hack beat out Trace to be the starter.

personally, I think Warren could be a better QB than either TR or CV. as a HS passer he was much more accurate looking than what we see from TR. My bet is he also has a much bigger arm than either guy. That is why some schools like VaTech recruited him as a QB. no doubt he will be a great TE, but we are in good shape there right now.

Reactions: Gitzit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT