ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Warren and Liam Clifford

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Not getting enough attention maybe, but Tyler Warren is playing at an all Big Ten level. He is the the whole package. Love to see a former 3 star killing it at this level. PSU is in such great shape at TE this year. Everybody saw the catches but did everybody see his blocking was the key to play after play.

And Liam Clifford is really, really good. Watch him closely -- he has a sky high football IQ and runs great short patterns to get open, gets his body position exactly right and has really good hands. Just great technique. He had a wonderful catch to convert a 3rd and 7 in the 2nd quarter where he juked to freeze the safety, darted to the sideline to catch the pass and then squirted another couple yards for the 1st down. That guy is a football player.

The way Allar plays, seeing the whole field, if you get open, you get the ball. Nothing is predetermined. And Warren and Clifford get open.

Last edited:
Not getting enough attention maybe, but Tyler Warren is playing at an all Big Ten level. He is the the whole package. Love to see a former 3 star killing it at this level. PSU is in such great shape at TE this year.

And Liam Clifford is really, really good. Watch him closely -- he has a sky high football IQ and runs brilliant short patterns to get open, gets his body position exactly right and has really good hands. Just great technique. He had a wonderful catch to convert a 3rd and 7 in the 2nd quarter where he juked to freeze the safety, darted to the sideline to catch the pass and then squirted another couple yards for the 1st down. That guy is a football player.

The way Allar plays, seeing the whole field, if you get open, you get the ball. Nothing is predetermined. And Warren and Clifford get open.
2 weeks of div 1 practice coming up. A lot of guys will get open for Allar...
3 TE's caught passes yesterday in a monsoon. Happy to see Kahlil grab that TD. The receivers should be primed by OSU.

I love Allar's distribution. He doesn't lock on to one guy. He's constantly looking for an open guy. He's made some excellent throws this year that makes you wonder "why don't we attack down field more", but the safe game plan is boosting his confidence while protecting our defense. And our defense is playing.

I noticed Clifford saw more time this week as well as Cephas. McClain didn't get in until the Beau drive. Clifford runs similar to Parker Washington at least when I watch him. Looking like a classic possession guy who can move the sticks.

Cephas seems to have separation skills, but he also seems to lack rapport with Allar and playbook knowledge. That will come with time.

Wallace didn't play a lot, I don't think he was targeted. Evans got one target late, but he hasn't been used much either. I think that bodes well for later. Wallace is that solid #2. Evans could be that deep threat that we haven't tried since WVU.

Not getting enough attention maybe, but Tyler Warren is playing at an all Big Ten level. He is the the whole package. Love to see a former 3 star killing it at this level. PSU is in such great shape at TE this year. Everybody saw the catches but did everybody see his blocking was the key to play after play.

And Liam Clifford is really, really good. Watch him closely -- he has a sky high football IQ and runs great short patterns to get open, gets his body position exactly right and has really good hands. Just great technique. He had a wonderful catch to convert a 3rd and 7 in the 2nd quarter where he juked to freeze the safety, darted to the sideline to catch the pass and then squirted another couple yards for the 1st down. That guy is a football player.

I thought Liam was recruited because of his brother but he's proving to be a solid player.

Theo is going to the NFL next year. I hope Warren stays because it would hurt to lose both TEs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
I thought Liam was recruited because of his brother but he's proving to be a solid player.

Theo is going to the NFL next year. I hope Warren stays because it would hurt to lose both.
Liam is proving he belongs. We don’t use him too much but when we do he is Mr. Reliability.

Reactions: bison13 and bdgan
I love Allar's distribution. He doesn't lock on to one guy. He's constantly looking for an open guy. He's made some excellent throws this year that makes you wonder "why don't we attack down field more", but the safe game plan is boosting his confidence while protecting our defense. And our defense is playing.

I noticed Clifford saw more time this week as well as Cephas. McClain didn't get in until the Beau drive. Clifford runs similar to Parker Washington at least when I watch him. Looking like a classic possession guy who can move the sticks.

Cephas seems to have separation skills, but he also seems to lack rapport with Allar and playbook knowledge. That will come with time.

Wallace didn't play a lot, I don't think he was targeted. Evans got one target late, but he hasn't been used much either. I think that bodes well for later. Wallace is that solid #2. Evans could be that deep threat that we haven't tried since WVU.
Some basic reasons for Wallace not getting any targets is he was held out. Evans just getting back from being out too. The next 2 weeks if the weather is good and theses guys are ready... they were cleared but not ready... this should give Allar even more targets. His ability to through across field to between the opposite hash mark and the opposite boundary with velocity and accuracy is a rare an special gift.

Some basic reasons for Wallace not getting any targets is he was held out. Evans just getting back from being out too. The next 2 weeks if the weather is good and theses guys are ready... they were cleared but not ready... this should give Allar even more targets. His ability to through across field to between the opposite hash mark and the opposite boundary with velocity and accuracy is a rare an special gift.
Wallace reminds me of Tinsley last year. Not a deep threat but reliable on slants underneath and ability to run after catch. It will be good to get him back.

Reactions: bison13

I'm surprised we didn't see McClain. I wonder if he got benched because of his 2 drops vs ILL. I hope he makes his way back because he was good in the first 2 games and he's a bigger target that we could use in the red zone.

I seriously hope Cephas comes back next year. I believe he has 2 years of eligibility. Not being here in the spring slowed him down but he had to get his degree first. I suspect he will be the star of the receiver group then. He could set himself very well for the draft after next season.

Reactions: lazydave841
Liam reminds me of Hunter Renfroe. Runs great routes, good hands. Gets 8 yards when you need 7.

Not sure I understand why he isn't targeted more. With limited TV coverage it's hard to tell if the issue is about getting open.

I am thrilled to see the team play a possession type of game. The benefits should be obvious.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'm surprised we didn't see McClain. I wonder if he got benched because of his 2 drops vs ILL. I hope he makes his way back because he was good in the first 2 games and he's a bigger target that we could use in the red zone.

Good question. I'm going to say the drops were part of it. They seem to be taking the opportunity to give everybody a start that they can. Between injuries and inconsistencies, I don't think we're doing bad; we just don't quite have the brilliance of an OSU passing attack yet.

Perhaps this will inspire McClain to rise up and be better. He has the physical tools.

I seriously hope Cephas comes back next year. I believe he has 2 years of eligibility. Not being here in the spring slowed him down but he had to get his degree first. I suspect he will be the star of the receiver group then. He could set himself very well for the draft after next season.

Completely agree.

I agree 100% and was actually mentioning this to a friend today before seeing your post.

Warren is awesome and he is so consistent and reliable. Good/winning plays happen when he is involved. He has great hands and is extremely athletic. It is like he is a WR in a TE body so he can block very powerfully but then move so nimbly to get open then use his power to gain yards. Just the total package and some NFL team will be doing very well to draft him.

I saw Clifford in the Blue White game in very limited action but I remember thinking that this guy is crafty about getting open then is shifty and clever in gaining extra yards. You are right, his football IQ is off the charts so he knows how to run crisp, precise routes then position his body to create an advantage over the defender. I had read over the summer that he was an excellent route runner with terrific hands and this is exactly what we are getting from him. I look at him as a guy when it is 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 10 he could be a very reliable and productive option for us. Essentially a clutch player (like Warren). Great possession guy like those guys the Patriots used to have (Welker, Amendola). He also has some size to him which helps, I think he is 6'1" 190 or around there.

Too much positivity here.

Just kidding...but...

Tyler has dropped PERFECT balls from Drew. Perfect. NFL stars only have bad drops every blue moon.

And Clifford...in the Illinois game I remember Drew's worst 3 or 4 misses were on Clifford's routes. Why? Coincidence, or was Clifford NOT running the right route?

And Clifford...in the Illinois game I remember Drew's worst 3 or 4 misses were on Clifford's routes. Why? Coincidence, or was Clifford NOT running the right route?

Height and timing. Most of Clifford's routes seem to be 3-7 yards in length. I can think of one Allar led too far. Short distance with a smaller frame WR requires dead on accuracy and great hands.

Also find the plays where the ball was great. Clifford caught key 1st downs. Both vs Illinois (the 30 yard corner that setup a FG before half) and Iowa (5 yard out route he got 8 yards on for a 1st).

Kaytron struggling some as a receiver. Singleton is a real threat as a receiver -- catching it well and using his speed for yardage.
Agree. Some things we are seeing but not talking about. Warren appears to be the #1 TE and Kaytron has started that last two games, at least.

Agree. Some things we are seeing but not talking about. Warren appears to be the #1 TE and Kaytron has started that last two games, at least.
They started the game with a throw to Johnson at the sideline and kept using that play because it was an automatic 5 yards. They use them both so much. They block well and they both seem to be able to run the same routes -- defenses can't guess the play by the personnel. And it was awesome that Dinkins caught a contested ball on 4th down -- a rocket throw, in the rain -- that's got to be great for his confidence.

Remember when Yurcich was hired and some people said he didn't know how to use tight ends?

And Allen -- he didn't get so many carries at Ill and Franklin seemed to go out of his way to talk about how important he is to the team. Maybe giving him the start this game was just a way to reinforce that.

Good question. I'm going to say the drops were part of it. They seem to be taking the opportunity to give everybody a start that they can. Between injuries and inconsistencies, I don't think we're doing bad; we just don't quite have the brilliance of an OSU passing attack yet.

Perhaps this will inspire McClain to rise up and be better. He has the physical tools.
I'm super excited about McClain based on what he showed in the first game. He's huge with really quick feet -- wonderful athlete. It made sense to give him a game or two off to just forget that mess of drops, rebuild his confidence in practice. Franklin's got a psychology background so I'm sure they have a method for doing this.

I think the whole receiver situation is turning out as well as anyone could have hoped. They don't have a Marvin Harrison Jr. or anybody who is just uncoverable, but they have a lot of really solid players who can play different roles.

Lambert-Smith is probably going to lead the team in dumb unsportsmanlike conduct penalties but you gotta love the guy -- he plays with tremendous emotion.

He definitely got under Cooper DeJean's skin, which was fun to watch -- any time you can get the other team's best player distracted. I loved when DeJean pulled L-S's helmet off and drew the flag and Brad Nessler pointed out that L-S already had 7 catches, so maybe DeJean's effort would be better spent trying to cover him better. One of my favorite moments of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT