ADVERTISEMENT

Two millennials quit jobs, sell everything to sail the world. Boat sinks after 25 miles

From the comments section . . . . there is a lot of unrecognized genius out there.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a famous trip
That started out in Florida with two hipsters that weren't hip.

The mate wasn't a mighty sailing woman, the captain was a doofus for sure,
They couldn't tie a sailors knot or even a fishing lure.

So join us here each week my friend there will be no boat replacement.
They won't be living on Gilligan's Island, more like in mom's basement.

I can't feel sorry for them. Play idiot games, win idiot prizes. It's a damn good thing they sank practically at the dock. Otherwise they would have died at sea without a trace.
That was hilarious.

Reactions: LionJim
So you're telling me ALL underwater obstructions are on the charts? Long time boater, I can tell you definitively that is not the case.

I don't want to interrupt the circle jerk going on, so, please, proceed.
You're kidding right? In the area around Madeira Beach? Yes, everyone of them. They weren't 800 miles off-shore in a non shipping lane area...they were smack dab in the middle of a huge recreational boating area.

more photos coming in....:

latest

So you're telling me ALL underwater obstructions are on the charts? Long time boater, I can tell you definitively that is not the case.

I don't think hitting something with your boat is the primary issue. the issue is, in their mid 20's, they got tired of working, cashed in their life savings (around $10,000 it appears) and decided to sail the oceans blue with $90.

Reactions: Ski

All known obstructions will be on the chart IF the chart is kept up to date. The Coast Guard publishes the Notice to Mariners weekly, giving latitude and longitude of any new wrecks or newly discovered obstacles. As my ship's leading Quartermaster I spent hours every week updating our charts so that we always used charts with the most current information. I imagine that casual sailors probably don't do this, but if you are doing it for a living, it's part of the job. Someone proposing to sail around the world should know this, and a lot more, before leaving the pier.

Absolute best thing that could’ve happened to these 2 knuckleheads.....because if not, the odds of them dying at sea were probably off the charts.
Except there are even BIGGER knuckleheads on the go fund me page. Raised $13,000 in 3 days from 300+ donors.

It’s a travesty. I’ve scratched and clawed my way through and these two dipshits don’t have to worry about anything now.

The stupidity blows my mind.

I don't there to interrupt the circle jerk going on, so, please, proceed.
Judge, obviously you're correct. Not every obstruction is on the charts. That cruise liner hit an uncharted rock off the Jersey coast that time.
Plus, there's floating debris. Down in the Keys right now there are docks and trees floating around. My friend once hit a couch taking his boat out of Port Canaveral. It happens.
However, I'm still guessing some level of operator error here.
- This was a heavily traveled area, not open ocean or a remote spot. The chances of an unmarked obstruction are slim.
- While not completely avoidable, floating debris is spotted by alert sailors.
- At sailboat speeds, what could you hit that would sink the boat? Maybe their refurbishment was not well done being amateurs.

if they paid $5000 for the boat, and put $5000 into repairing it, a couple things (before it sunk)

They still have a boat worth $5000
and they probably paid $4999 too much!!

They sold everything they had, including an SUV, to invest only $10k in a boat?

Um, where's the rest of the story?

Remember back in the day when people had enough pride not to ask for a handout even for food, let alone another crappy sailboat?

Not really. When was this golden age of American self-reliance when people were starving on the street due to pride?

Reactions: psuro
From the comments section . . . . there is a lot of unrecognized genius out there.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a famous trip
That started out in Florida with two hipsters that weren't hip.

The mate wasn't a mighty sailing woman, the captain was a doofus for sure,
They couldn't tie a sailors knot or even a fishing lure.

So join us here each week my friend there will be no boat replacement.
They won't be living on Gilligan's Island, more like in mom's basement.

I can't feel sorry for them. Play idiot games, win idiot prizes. It's a damn good thing they sank practically at the dock. Otherwise they would have died at sea without a trace.
Let’s all hope they don’t reproduce....

Reactions: RandyL
Fun to shit on them but not sure if this was due to operator error:

While sailing through the popular tourist site, the bottom of their boat struck an unseen object underwater and quickly started to take on water, forcing them to evacuate.
It was human error. They couldn't handle the seas and got nocked out of the channel. Nothing moves into a channe without it being posted. Even after last year's hurican, that channel was plotted. If by some miracle, a sand bar developed there overnight, their lack of experience reading water doomed them. They are idiots and would never had mad it around the world alive. They should count thier blessings and take up hiking across the US or preferably Canada.

As soon as I read the headline I figured this was a scam. I'm not surprised at all this happened, which - in my opinion - is exactly what they wanted to have happen:
1. Wreck a cheap boat (while sailing very close to shore so they wouldn't die).
2. Make sure their story had some pathos.....and a LOT of media coverage
3. Start a GoFundMe to attract a bunch of suckers.
4. Laugh all the way to the online bank.

However, I am stunned that people actually contribute! And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if his father, who helped them with the boat, was in on it.

Judge, obviously you're correct. Not every obstruction is on the charts. That cruise liner hit an uncharted rock off the Jersey coast that time.
Plus, there's floating debris. Down in the Keys right now there are docks and trees floating around. My friend once hit a couch taking his boat out of Port Canaveral. It happens.
However, I'm still guessing some level of operator error here.
- This was a heavily traveled area, not open ocean or a remote spot. The chances of an unmarked obstruction are slim.
- While not completely avoidable, floating debris is spotted by alert sailors.
- At sailboat speeds, what could you hit that would sink the boat? Maybe their refurbishment was not well done being amateurs.

Sorry Judge, I agree with Nitt and AGN on this completely. I grew up on the water. 98% chance this is human error.

Absolute best thing that could’ve happened to these 2 knuckleheads.....because if not, the odds of them dying at sea were probably off the charts.

True.

Of course, now that they are armed with a GoFundMe account that exceeds their original cash outlay, they probably have just enough coin to do something else that's even more dangerous and mind numbingly stupid.

Reactions: psu00
True.

Of course, now that they are armed with a GoFundMe account that exceeds their original cash outlay, they probably have just enough coin to do something else that's even more dangerous and mind numbingly stupid.
Maybe they plan to buy a camel and tour the Sahara for a couple years. I'm sure the Bedouins would love them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT