ADVERTISEMENT

Two millennials quit jobs, sell everything to sail the world. Boat sinks after 25 miles

well, call me inspired.

I just called and instructed my broker to send me all of my pre-tax savings of $401k. Watching SpaceX, how much smarter can Elon Musk really be? So I am building my own space rocket and will be launching by the end of the month. I set up a gofundme account and look forward to posting in space by march 1st. Wish me luck (and, hey, if it doesn't work, there is always living off the govt):

boys-with-plastic-helmets-working-on-large-homemade-toy-rocket-boy-video-id2031-358

I give Obli about the same chance to travel further than 25 miles.

I understand that a lot of Millennials are doing this but there is a difference between being financially idenpendent and not feel like working.
Trying to sail around the world in a sail boat with no experience and $90 on them what did they expect was going to happen.

I hear ya, the go fund me page is the only part that rubs me the wrong way.

This is another blog, I think it’s called Millenial Revolution where a 20 something year old couple quits their job and slows travels the world in low cost of living areas.

There’s a lot of “Get off my lawn you damn kids” mentality being displayed in this thread by the over 40 crowd.

There’s a growing FI (financial indeaccount e) movement among the millennials where you live frugally, save a huge percentage of your income, and get out of the corporate world in your 30’s and enjoy life.

These two probably have that mentality but didn’t have the patience to execute it properly.

Check out the popular Mr Money Mustache blog to see The Godfather of this movement.
Nothing screams financial independence like a go fund me account :confused:

well, call me inspired.

I just called and instructed my broker to send me all of my pre-tax savings of $401k. Watching SpaceX, how much smarter can Elon Musk really be? So I am building my own space rocket and will be launching by the end of the month. I set up a gofundme account and look forward to posting in space by march 1st. Wish me luck (and, hey, if it doesn't work, there is always living off the govt):

boys-with-plastic-helmets-working-on-large-homemade-toy-rocket-boy-video-id2031-358
If you do make it to liftoff, all I can say is Godspeed Obliviax!

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't approve of the gofundme request either -- they are perfectly capable of going back to work and saving another $10,000. But if people want to send them money to get back on their feet, isn't that up to them? It's their money.

Some of the nasty comments here seemed to be saying that anybody who took a break from work to have an adventure was a slacker, un-American or something.

In fact the world would be better off if more people did that.

What's a problem is most Americans spend more than they make, don't have a dime in their checking accounts and can't quit their jobs no matter how much they hate their work. So they drudge through life working and watching cable news every night and raging constantly about other people who might have it better than they do.

Last edited:
They had been learning to sail for "a few months" and they were going to sail around the world? Wow, that's some hubris. They're lucky they sank where they did, not in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Ocean voyages, even short ones, are not to be underaken lightly by novice boaters.

I sympathize, but they were stupid to attempt it with so little sailing experience.

No sane people would attempt that in a boat that small. Sinking that early in the trip saved their lives.

Reactions: sluggo72 and PSU87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT