ADVERTISEMENT

Two millennials quit jobs, sell everything to sail the world. Boat sinks after 25 miles

He's 26, she's 24. Losing "everything" is probably not all that much at their ages. They have 30+ years to recover.

Reactions: michnittlion
They had been learning to sail for "a few months" and they were going to sail around the world? Wow, that's some hubris. They're lucky they sank where they did, not in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Ocean voyages, even short ones, are not to be underaken lightly by novice boaters.

I sympathize, but they were stupid to attempt it with so little sailing experience.

From the comments section . . . . there is a lot of unrecognized genius out there.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a famous trip
That started out in Florida with two hipsters that weren't hip.

The mate wasn't a mighty sailing woman, the captain was a doofus for sure,
They couldn't tie a sailors knot or even a fishing lure.

So join us here each week my friend there will be no boat replacement.
They won't be living on Gilligan's Island, more like in mom's basement.

I can't feel sorry for them. Play idiot games, win idiot prizes. It's a damn good thing they sank practically at the dock. Otherwise they would have died at sea without a trace.

All is Lost
Redford2.jpg

robert-redford-all-is-lost.jpg

Fun to shit on them but not sure if this was due to operator error:

While sailing through the popular tourist site, the bottom of their boat struck an unseen object underwater and quickly started to take on water, forcing them to evacuate.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Looks like some folks are too kind. I hope this doesn’t encourage them to try again.
They capsized the boat in the channel heading for the ocean. They are said to be from Colorado in the story I read yesterday so maybe they were all smoked up.

From Nikki:

“How can we live our lives when we’re working most of the day and you have to pay so much just to live?” Walsh, who booked time-share tours for a living, said to The New York Post.

“Most of the work you do goes to your home. There has to be another option,” she added."

While sailing through the popular tourist site, the bottom of their boat struck an unseen object underwater and quickly started to take on water, forcing them to evacuate.
"unseen" and "unknown" are usually different things- proper charts that are up to date will show any known wrecks, shallows, etc. Navigation is one of the primary skills required to make it at sea. It sounds like these idiots possessed none of those skills.

Probably struck an artificial reef some other group of millennials were trying to build and gave up on.

Reactions: bison13 and Gnat91
Looks like some folks are too kind. I hope this doesn’t encourage them to try again.
They capsized the boat in the channel heading for the ocean. They are said to be from Colorado in the story I read yesterday so maybe they were all smoked up.
although they were living in Co (Breckenridge) the guy was from FL and the gal from PA.

They paid $5,000 for the boat and another $5,000 to restore it. So $10,000 total. Throw in another couple grand for whatever else might have been on board and lost. Couldn't be more than $15,000. That's what they lost? I lost that much (more) in my 401k last week and I'm much closer to retirement than they are. Start a gofundme for my retirement please.

They paid $5,000 for the boat and another $5,000 to restore it. So $10,000 total. Throw in another couple grand for whatever else might have been on board and lost. Couldn't be more than $15,000. That's what they lost? I lost that much (more) in my 401k last week and I'm much closer to retirement than they are. Start a gofundme for my retirement please.
One of our clients on Jupiter Island told our lead installer that he lost $3 million last week. Installer said he seemed "grouchy."

I don't know where they hit the object, but anything under water would be clearly marked on the nautical chart for that area. With so little experience I'd be surprised if they could read a nautical chart and this assumes they had nautical charts.

Edit: The article states near Madeira Beach. Here is chart 11411 which clearly shows "many" under water obstructions. Zoom in around the Inlet named John's Pass and you'll see the obstructions...I don't know if these were the culprits but something similar for sure.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11411.shtml

And, they were living in Breckenridge CO... I don't know if you've ever been there, or even to Colorado, but I can tell you that I'd put up with a whole lot of "trying to convince others to do what they didn't want to do" if I could live in a place like Breckenridge. Especially if I was a young hipster.

I don't know where they hit the object, but anything under water would be clearly marked on the nautical chart for that area. With so little experience I'd be surprised if they could read a nautical chart and this assumes they had nautical charts.

Edit: The article states near Madeira Beach. Here is chart 11411 which clearly shows "many" under water obstructions. Zoom in around the Inlet named John's Pass and you'll see the obstructions...I don't know if these were the culprits but something similar for sure.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11411.shtml

So you're telling me ALL underwater obstructions are on the charts? Long time boater, I can tell you definitively that is not the case.

I don't want to interrupt the circle jerk going on, so, please, proceed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT