ADVERTISEMENT

Two millennials quit jobs, sell everything to sail the world. Boat sinks after 25 miles

From Nikki:

“How can we live our lives when we’re working most of the day and you have to pay so much just to live?” Walsh, who booked time-share tours for a living, said to The New York Post.

“Most of the work you do goes to your home. There has to be another option,” she added."
What an oddly delusional generation of people. Such narcissism and entitlement. God forbid a young person waits in line and/or pays his/her dues! Earth to dipshit hipsters - working for a living is an honorable thing. Try building a little character before trying to find yourselves out in the world.

What an oddly delusional generation of people. Such narcissism and entitlement. God forbid a young person waits in line and/or pays his/her dues! Earth to dipshit hipsters - working for a living is an honorable thing. Try building a little character before trying to find yourselves out in the world.

Earth to dipshit hipsters: Work a little longer and you can buy a better boat.

more photos coming in....:

latest

So the rocks did it, bastards

The more I think about this story, the more agitated I get. Who the fvck do these two tweedleheads think they are? I’ll qualify this by saying I wish these young people no ill will, but I also can’t help by wonder if maybe gofundme (in this instance) is a latter-day vehicle for Darwinism...maybe by affording them another opportunity to kill themselves, those who gave to them are effectively thinning the herd?

I don't see why people are getting all up in arms over this. Yeah, maybe they overthought their abilities, and they screwed up. But, they are not hurt, and they have the rest of their lives to get past it and recover. If they were in their 50's or 60's and the same thing happened, they would have lost a lot more and less time to recover.

As far as the Go Fund Me - it's what people do nowadays. No one is forcing anyone else to contribute.

They learned an important lesson, and will carry this story for the rest of their lives.

Sail around world with no real sailing experience and in a 50 year old beater boat. Better to be broke then dead because that's probably what would of happened if not for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU87
The more I think about this story, the more agitated I get. Who the fvck do these two tweedleheads think they are? I’ll qualify this by saying I wish these young people no ill will, but I also can’t help by wonder if maybe gofundme (in this instance) is a latter-day vehicle for Darwinism...maybe by affording them another opportunity to kill themselves, those who gave to them are effectively thinning the herd?

Its actually kind of sad that they have reached this point in life and lack the passion and drive to go out and work hard, and make something of themselves. I have four kids in and around this age, and never in a million years would they hatch a plan like this.

On a side note, they are up to $14.3K on the gofundme site.

Reactions: bison13
Its actually kind of sad that they have reached this point in life and lack the passion and drive to go out and work hard, and make something of themselves. I have four kids in and around this age, and never in a million years would they hatch a plan like this.

On a side note, they are up to $14.3K on the gofundme site.

Just from dealing with this type of personality a lot recently, I tend to be much more cynical.

They are the ones who put this story out and made it public.

They are the ones with the woe is me attitude.

Some parts of this story do not make sense. Like how did they plan to buy more food at other ports with no money?

Etc.

Probably a broad scam. More info will come out soon.

LdN

I don't see why people are getting all up in arms over this. Yeah, maybe they overthought their abilities, and they screwed up. But, they are not hurt, and they have the rest of their lives to get past it and recover. If they were in their 50's or 60's and the same thing happened, they would have lost a lot more and less time to recover.

As far as the Go Fund Me - it's what people do nowadays. No one is forcing anyone else to contribute.

They learned an important lesson, and will carry this story for the rest of their lives.

Learned an important lesson? That being stupid and lazy can be profitable? Or was this something else? Good grief.

I'm thinking these bird brains are not the type that are capable of learning any lesson. Of course, if their scheme all along was to wreck, publicize, and profit from gofundme, then maybe they are smarter than I'm giving them credit for...

Angry angry angry. So many angry people in the world. Seriously, if a story like this makes you angry, then you're the one with a problem.
Never said “angry”...more agitated than anything, mainly because this is the generation that’s going to be leading society in the not-too-distant future. They’d better grow up pretty quick or else society is fvcked.

Reactions: okinburg1
Learned an important lesson? That being stupid and lazy can be profitable? Or was this something else? Good grief.

You are assuming that was their intent. I am not. And again, they are not forcing anyone to give them money.

But, I am done with this. There are reasons to be frustrated with millenials, but this one simply does not register with me. Have fun with the griping and bitching.

Never said “angry”...more agitated than anything, mainly because this is the generation that’s going to be leading society in the not-too-distant future. They’d better grow up pretty quick or else society is fvcked.

I'd say the current generation in charge is doing the ****ing that the millenials will be stuck cleaning up.

Reactions: NJPSU
After reading this story I told my wife that rather than both of us working full time and spending close to 2K/month on day care, that she should stay home and just create go fund me pages every couple of months just to see who will donate to us.

My girlfriend (now wife) and I moved from PA to California when we were 25 with practically nothing. Not only did we survive, it was the best time of our life. This couple will survive too.

You are assuming that was their intent. I am not. And again, they are not forcing anyone to give them money.

But, I am done with this. There are reasons to be frustrated with millenials, but this one simply does not register with me. Have fun with the griping and bitching.

So how much did you give them? :D

Did they lose the VW Van too?

Obli, off topic of OP.
Tried to quote only the picture of Red, but I couldn't.
Sister-in-law sent my wife a picture of her son's 3rd grade class which would have been 8-9 years ago. She said we should look for Red. We had not idea who the heck "Red" was. Seems through 3rd grade he was a Rocky River resident. Moved after that year I believe she said.

OL

Reactions: Obliviax
Obli, off topic of OP.
Tried to quote only the picture of Red, but I couldn't.
Sister-in-law sent my wife a picture of her son's 3rd grade class which would have been 8-9 years ago. She said we should look for Red. We had not idea who the heck "Red" was. Seems through 3rd grade he was a Rocky River resident. Moved after that year I believe she said.

OL
awesome....i know he moved as a youngster...awesome that a kid from RR won a gold at PF Changs!

All is not lost..... Their biggest problem now will be selecting which free boat to accept from the outpouring of generous offers.... They also admit they were using dated navigation charts.

The smug and incredibly nasty tone of so many of the posts in this thread just says some bad things about the middle aged men on this board. They made a mistake, they were really fortunate they didn't die. But saving your money and quitting your job to have an adventure when you're young -- what's so morally wrong with that deserves condemnation on the BWI/McAndrew board for grumpy old farts? Are they supposed to stay home, drudge through 60 hour weeks and use their extra money for a new dishwasher or something? Not that there's anything wrong with a new dishwasher, but why can't people accept that other people have a different idea of what's important in life?

The 'Church' of Scientology has untaxed revenue of $500mm a year. Let's focus our :eek: people.

well, call me inspired.

I just called and instructed my broker to send me all of my pre-tax savings of $401k. Watching SpaceX, how much smarter can Elon Musk really be? So I am building my own space rocket and will be launching by the end of the month. I set up a gofundme account and look forward to posting in space by march 1st. Wish me luck (and, hey, if it doesn't work, there is always living off the govt):

boys-with-plastic-helmets-working-on-large-homemade-toy-rocket-boy-video-id2031-358

The smug and incredibly nasty tone of so many of the posts in this thread just says some bad things about the middle aged men on this board. They made a mistake, they were really fortunate they didn't die. But saving your money and quitting your job to have an adventure when you're young -- what's so morally wrong with that deserves condemnation on the BWI/McAndrew board for grumpy old farts? Are they supposed to stay home, drudge through 60 hour weeks and use their extra money for a new dishwasher or something? Not that there's anything wrong with a new dishwasher, but why can't people accept that other people have a different idea of what's important in life?

I"m pretty sure people are just pissed about the way they went about the whole situation. Quit your job, fine. Go see the world, great. Wreck your boat because you have no ****ing idea what you're doing then hop on the internet and try to get people to pony up for your stupidity .. .. Not so cool.

There’s a lot of “Get off my lawn you damn kids” mentality being displayed in this thread by the over 40 crowd.

There’s a growing FI (financial independence) movement among the millennials where you live frugally, save a huge percentage of your income, and get out of the corporate world in your 30’s and enjoy life.

These two probably have that mentality but didn’t have the patience to execute it properly.

Check out the popular Mr Money Mustache blog to see The Godfather of this movement.

Yeah I’d say what they did went just a wee bit beyond a “mistake”. But preach on brother...

Haha..great post.

Old people have been saying this about the generations that follow them since the beginning of time.
I'll get off your lawn now.

There’s a lot of “Get off my lawn you damn kids” mentality being displayed in this thread by the over 40 crowd.

There’s a growing FI (financial independence) movement among the millennials where you live frugally, save a huge percentage of your income, and get out of the corporate world in your 30’s and enjoy life.

These two probably have that mentality but didn’t have the patience to execute it properly.

Check out the popular Mr Money Mustache blog to see The Godfather of this movement.
I understand that a lot of Millennials are doing this but there is a difference between being financially idenpendent and not feel like working.
Trying to sail around the world in a sail boat with no experience and $90 on them what did they expect was going to happen.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT