ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament vs Dual Scoring

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
So, do people think that the Tournament format at the NCAAs this year favors or hurts Iowa's chances?

I'm on record stating I believe they are the best team out there. That said, in tournaments, don't you need a decent amount of bonus points and guys that advance into the finals?

It seems Iowa may be tougher in Duals because they are pretty damn solid at nearly every weight class. However, do they have any guys who you would be shocked if they weren't in the final? Do they have 2 or 3 guys who will rack up the bonus points for them this year?

Curious to hear people's thoughts...
This post was edited on 2/8 7:24 PM by NittanyChris

Don't necessarily need the bonus pts if you are balanced enough to
have a large group of All Americans, potential is there for Iowa. Although I don't necessarily see it at 141, 157, or 165. Perhaps Jeeva gets it done, many ways to get to a Championship, bonus makes it easier. But, there isn't a great team in the field this year IMO .

I agree that there is no great team this season. I don't think Jeva will get it done. Sorenson has been damn impressive, though. It will be interesting.

There are different ways to win the NCAA tourney. Iowa doesn't have any bonus point machines, but they are super balanced from top to bottom of their lineup. That balance will serve them well. Iowa realistically could have 8 or 9 AAs. That's a lot of placement and advancement points. I like their chances to win.

I think Iowa's biggest threat is tOSU. They are not as well balanced as Iowa, but have a 3 or 4 guys that will likely score a lot of bonus points, especially Logie Bear. Next I'll go with Minny, on the strength of their five top guys who all could go very deep. After that, I've got PSU, Missouri, and maybe Cornell in a scramble for 4th thru 6th. I'd probably go Missouri, PSU, and Cornell, from 4th to 6th.

8 or 9 All Americans? I don't see that many personally. Iowa has good wrestlers, but at NCAAs depending on draw, a few will be slain early most likely .

Originally posted by jschrantz:
8 or 9 All Americans? I don't see that many personally. Iowa has good wrestlers, but at NCAAs depending on draw, a few will be slain early most likely .
I can definitely see 8 AAs for Iowa. Nine AAs might be a stretch but could happen if things break right for them. I don't see a lot of finalists for them but, It's the type of team that will score a lot of points in the consolation bracket.

I don't see the national champs or bonus points of Ohio State and Minny

Will be fun to watch. I like them in the Big Ten but I like Ohio State in the NCAA

Okie State probably figures in there too.

Originally posted by SRATH:
Okie State probably figures in there too.
Yep, they'll be in the mix from 4th to 6th. Complete brain fart on my part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT