ADVERTISEMENT

This game against Temple was the worse coached Penn State game I have ever watched!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
There is simply no other way to describe this game. I feel sorry for our players and am embarrassed as a Penn State fan. We all deserve better, and if CJF and his staff can't make MASSIVE changes to their game plans, we as fans must rebel! CJF has to fire Donovan and Hand. As much as we all critisized Jay Paterno and Galen Hall, they had much more creativity than Donovan has. Hack's talents have gone to waste since BOB left, as these new coaches can't find a way to exploit his strengths. Our OLmen, although not good, are not nearly as bad as our coaches make them look. Spread our receivers out and spread the DL and LB's out to create spacing. I am not a coach, but even I can call plays that are more imaginative than these guys.

Last edited:
How hard is it to fire that asshat, Donovan?
He has what 10 TDs in his Last 9 regular season games?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc-M
Re watch Iowa 6 penn state 4
We had a poor team in 2004 and won 4 games. Iowa was having a great year, finishing 11-2 and ranked 8th in the country. In those 11 wins they averaged 22 points a game including 33 in beating OSU and 30 in beating LSU in the Capital One Bowl. We held them to 6, their lowest total of the season. The fact that the score was low does not mean the coaching was poor. That was great coaching.

How hard is it to fire that asshat, Donovan?
He has what 10 TDs in his Last 9 regular season games?
Unfortunately, Donovan and Hand are CJF's hand picked coaches. Firing them means he admits his choices were wrong. Many feel that Franklin has developed this "system" that he thought the team has bought into. Well the team bought it, but are now ready to sell out! I'll repeat, unless CJF makes massive changes, we as fans will rebel, but more importantly, the team will too. Very bad situation that has no immediate resolution!

I am no football coach, but common sense tells me I need to have my O-line prepared for any and all types of blitzes and stunts based on last years weakness. It does not appear to me that the O-line was prepared. Each game will feature more of the same from opposing defensive coordinators.

Rewatch some of the Kevin Thompson / Rashard Casey years if you want to see terrible offense. We ran about 10 plays and just out talented most teams.

LdN
What about the season that included the fullback pitch out to Sean McHugh. That offense was unbearable.

There is simply no other way to describe this game. I feel sorry for our players and am embarrassed as a Penn State fan. We all deserve better, and if CJF and his staff can't make MASSIVE changes to their game plans, we as fans must rebel! CJF has to fire Donovan and Hand. As much as we all critisized Jay Paterno and Galen Hall, they had much more creativity than Donovan has. Hack's talents have gone to waste since BOB left, as these new coaches can't find a way to exploit his strengths. Our OLmen, although not good, are not nearly as bad as our coaches make them look. Spread our receivers out and spread the DL and LB's out to create spacing. I am not a coach, but even I can call plays that are more imaginative than these guys.
Don't forget OBrien fired Hackenber's, and McGloin's also, mentor. Hackenberghas not been the same since.

One would have thought that after the 5th or 6th sack that someone would have talked to whoever it is in charge of the offense and told that person that maybe we need to max protect, or go 5 wide so the o-line only has 5 to block. I personally would have gone max protection since Temple could send 2 or 3 and still get to the QB.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I am NOT a football coach.

I posted last week that if I were a defensive coordinator that I would load the box and rush more than normal and make PSU prove that the OL can handle the workload.

That was simple common sense.

What I took away from last Saturday's contest was that the OL was ok when Temple sent 4 and maybe 5, but when they sent anybody on a delayed stunt, they came free and Hackenberg was a sitting duck.

Nobody was open, ever. The only open receivers last Saturday allowed the ball to clank off of their hands - that was early in the contest. The replay where they showed 4 receivers "blanketed" by 5 defenders (3 receivers within ten yards of each other) was very telling - maybe somebody was to come open later, but later never happens when the QB is pressured.

Not one receiver recognized the pass rush and adjusted (my view - again, I'm NOT a football coach) to give Hackenberg some help.

The new guy at left tackle is in over his head (my view).

Last and I feel the biggest problem and may never be corrected ... Hackenberg, when his intended receiver is not open puts his head down and tries to evade and escape. His forte is his arm, not his legs (although he had one really nice run in the contest). I have no answer for this.

A carbon copy of last season's second half - ineffective offense places the defense in a continual battle. In the heat, these guys never get a break and these guys were man down early in the game. The latter part of the third quarter and the entire fourth quarter was Temple party time at the PSU defense' expense.

Lastly, can a school of 45,000 find a male student who can effectively punt the football?

Rant over - I waited 3 days to post this because I couldn't bear to look at this site and ruin the remainder of a great weekend.

I am NOT a football coach.

I posted last week that if I were a defensive coordinator that I would load the box and rush more than normal and make PSU prove that the OL can handle the workload.

That was simple common sense.

What I took away from last Saturday's contest was that the OL was ok when Temple sent 4 and maybe 5, but when they sent anybody on a delayed stunt, they came free and Hackenberg was a sitting duck.

Nobody was open, ever. The only open receivers last Saturday allowed the ball to clank off of their hands - that was early in the contest. The replay where they showed 4 receivers "blanketed" by 5 defenders (3 receivers within ten yards of each other) was very telling - maybe somebody was to come open later, but later never happens when the QB is pressured.

Not one receiver recognized the pass rush and adjusted (my view - again, I'm NOT a football coach) to give Hackenberg some help.

The new guy at left tackle is in over his head (my view).

Last and I feel the biggest problem and may never be corrected ... Hackenberg, when his intended receiver is not open puts his head down and tries to evade and escape. His forte is his arm, not his legs (although he had one really nice run in the contest). I have no answer for this.

A carbon copy of last season's second half - ineffective offense places the defense in a continual battle. In the heat, these guys never get a break and these guys were man down early in the game. The latter part of the third quarter and the entire fourth quarter was Temple party time at the PSU defense' expense.

Lastly, can a school of 45,000 find a male student who can effectively punt the football?

Rant over - I waited 3 days to post this because I couldn't bear to look at this site and ruin the remainder of a great weekend.

And to think that this staff had 9 months to correct this problem! If Paris Palmer is in over his head are you telling me this staff could not see that???? And if he is a liability, but the best we have, how about this novel idea: Put a TE along side him or behind him in the backfield to help him out!! Holy Shit....that might actually work!!!

Don't give up hope ... Ohio State lost their first game last year and went on to win the Championship Schedule sets up nicely This was just a bump in ht eroad If the fans start revolting the players will not play hard Before this game most thought we would be 6-0 heading into Ohio State .. Now we will have to settle for 5-1

Could not have gone worse

Don't give up hope ... Ohio State lost their first game last year and went on to win the Championship Schedule sets up nicely This was just a bump in ht eroad If the fans start revolting the players will not play hard Before this game most thought we would be 6-0 heading into Ohio State .. Now we will have to settle for 5-1
I'm usually the eternal optimist, but I have to tell you that I am worried about whether we can beat Buffalo this Saturday. They put up over 50 points on Albany last week. I know that the SUNY schools are not powerhouses, but all Buffalo has to do is follow the example Temple used to overpower out OL, and this becomes a very competitive ball game!

I'm usually the eternal optimist, but I have to tell you that I am worried about whether we can beat Buffalo this Saturday. They put up over 50 points on Albany last week. I know that the SUNY schools are not powerhouses, but all Buffalo has to do is follow the example Temple used to overpower out OL, and this becomes a very competitive ball game!

There is literally no reason to believe that Buffalo cannot give us a tough game. None. I don't think we win if we play like we just did.

Get rid of the poison before the weekend gets here, and maybe I will change my opinion.

Reactions: bmw199
Fair enough, but OB left at the right time...before the word got out that Hackenberg is uncommonly vulnerable to the blitz, and before the OL woes materialized. Not defending Donovan or Hand, but the "book" on Hack will follow him wherever he goes, be it to another college program, or the pros. At this point I wouldn't bet either way as to what his career trajectory will look like.

Wildly emotional rants cloaked as reasonable thoughts.... it is painful to read this stuff.... it is for the most part not fitting of a Penn Stater....in fact, most of you all are making the BOT look good after a first game of the season loss. Hell, you'd think we lost to Appalachian State or something.

Wildly emotional rants cloaked as reasonable thoughts.... it is painful to read this stuff.... it is for the most part not fitting of a Penn Stater....in fact, most of you all are making the BOT look good after a first game of the season loss. Hell, you'd think we lost to Appalachian State or something.
There is a misconception that Appalachian State was chopped liver when they beat Michigan in 2007. They were not. They were a good football team. They went 13-2, won the Division I championship, and finished the season with a #1 FCS ranking. When this season is over I doubt Temple will be anywhere near that good.

Reactions: bmw199
There is a misconception that Appalachian State was chopped liver when they beat Michigan in 2007. They were not. They were a good football team. They went 13-2, won the Division I championship, and finished the season with a #1 FCS ranking. When this season is over I doubt Temple will be anywhere near that good.

Yes Appalachian had a good year in the (FCS), formerly I-AA. That makes them world beaters .. .... lol ... they sure kicked the crap out of Howard last weekend..... Let's see how they handle Clemson this weekend before returning to world beating Louisiana Monroe and GASO.....Troy ... etc etc etc

You cannot be serious with this nonsense!

App. State was a lower division school! They didn't even have the same number of scholarships!

Temple defense has half a dozen guys that will be playing in the NFL!

Unreal.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Yes Appalachian had a good year in the (FCS), formerly I-AA. That makes them world beaters .. .... lol ... they sure kicked the crap out of Howard last weekend..... Let's see how they handle Clemson this weekend before returning to world beating Louisiana Monroe and GASO.....Troy ... etc etc etc

What does App State's record this year have to do with anything?

What does App State's record this year have to do with anything?
Not much, but their program has been a good one through the years. On a recent ESPN NFL list they had 6 guys on NFL rosters. We had 26. Indiana from the BigTen had 8. Pitt had 14. Temple had 9.

Last edited:
It was awful. No way to sugar coat that game

Most are frustrated and upset on HOW we lost not that we lost. The team was dead in the water in the 3rd quarter because the offense couldn't do anything and Wartman-White's injury. Then the pick 6 happened and it was game, set, match. Football is a simple game of momentum and shifts in momentum and on Saturday the shift was seismic. The inability to do anything with the fumble hurt tremendously, Cabinda's shot at a pick 6 hurt tremendously, and then the fatal pick 6 drove the stake into the PSU heart. We do not score a helluva a lot of TD's these days and we rely on our D to bail us out a lot. That was too much to overcome as Temple controlled the clock and we had no ability to sustain any 2nd half drives. My frustration is not changing up anything during the game, whether it be personnel or play calls/formations. You have to do something, but nothing was done and that is a quitters attitude. Unfortunately, this team, offensively, has no leaders or no heart. We really need a leader on offense and, unfortunately, Hack does not appear to have that kind of personality. I also am beginning to question Hack's mental status as he may still harbor some resentment over O'Brien leaving and now having to deal with a system and coaches that are not really working with his talents. It is what it is and I think the coaching staff got the message by the way the team did not perform on Saturday. Losses happen but how this one happened was actually sickening and disheartening because of the lack of response. Franklin and staff are getting a dose of what it means to be in charge of a big program versus a midsize program, like Vanderbilt or Maryland. It is not the same atmosphere, especially when you are in charge and expectations are way different. PSU Alums and fans take great pride in the football program based upon our past and because we were extremely lucky to have an all-time great as head coach for so long. So yeah, we expect more, and I hope we see those changes this weekend because I will be watching closely, along with many others, from my seat, to see how the team responds. We all know the sanctions, etc. but regressions should not be happening to the extent it did last Saturday. Everyone can have a bad game at times, but that was an unprepared team last week.

Reactions: Jerademan74
I really cannot figure out what point you are trying to make. Maybe that is your purpose. IDK.

It's obvious that you don't want understand.
Let's make it simple. Back then App State played essentially div 1A schools and had a good record against them. So, f'ing what. Temples 'D' ranked 4th in the nation among real Div 1 teams last season and returned damn near the whole defense.

I think it may be time to subtract a few of those marbles.

Reactions: no1lion99
Most are frustrated and upset on HOW we lost not that we lost. The team was dead in the water in the 3rd quarter because the offense couldn't do anything and Wartman-White's injury. Then the pick 6 happened and it was game, set, match. Football is a simple game of momentum and shifts in momentum and on Saturday the shift was seismic. The inability to do anything with the fumble hurt tremendously, Cabinda's shot at a pick 6 hurt tremendously, and then the fatal pick 6 drove the stake into the PSU heart. We do not score a helluva a lot of TD's these days and we rely on our D to bail us out a lot. That was too much to overcome as Temple controlled the clock and we had no ability to sustain any 2nd half drives. My frustration is not changing up anything during the game, whether it be personnel or play calls/formations. You have to do something, but nothing was done and that is a quitters attitude. Unfortunately, this team, offensively, has no leaders or no heart. We really need a leader on offense and, unfortunately, Hack does not appear to have that kind of personality. I also am beginning to question Hack's mental status as he may still harbor some resentment over O'Brien leaving and now having to deal with a system and coaches that are not really working with his talents. It is what it is and I think the coaching staff got the message by the way the team did not perform on Saturday. Losses happen but how this one happened was actually sickening and disheartening because of the lack of response. Franklin and staff are getting a dose of what it means to be in charge of a big program versus a midsize program, like Vanderbilt or Maryland. It is not the same atmosphere, especially when you are in charge and expectations are way different. PSU Alums and fans take great pride in the football program based upon our past and because we were extremely lucky to have an all-time great as head coach for so long. So yeah, we expect more, and I hope we see those changes this weekend because I will be watching closely, along with many others, from my seat, to see how the team responds. We all know the sanctions, etc. but regressions should not be happening to the extent it did last Saturday. Everyone can have a bad game at times, but that was an unprepared team last week.
Excellent post!! Let's see what changes CJF and his staff make this coming week and the weeks ahead. I have been calling for the firing of Donovan and Hand, but I know this won't happen, at least not until after this season, if at all. Therefore, it is now up to CJF to take control of the situation as Penn State fans demand and expect it. This is the difference between low expectations of Vandy fans, and high expectations of Penn State fans as we expect to be playing for National Championships because we have won them in the past. Vandy fans are just thrilled if they can occasionally knock off a higher ranked SEC team. CJF,;you wanted this big time , high exposure job! You are in the limelight as you have wanted.....now do something to prove your value and you will maintain the love you have been given by us fans. If you continue to falter because your OC and OL coaches suck, you are responsible for the consequences!

Did you not watch any Penn State games from 2000, 2001, 2003 or 2004? There are quiet a few games like being dominated by Toledo 24-6 or the classic 12-0 loss to Pitt? What about classic 6-4 loss to Iowa? Penn State has had far worse performances then this offensively. How about 2004 season when Penn State was held to 7 or less tpoints 5 times!

I bet if Temple played FCS they would win the national title this year. They are not a bad team. They may not be a top 25 team but they are a decent team.

Did you not watch any Penn State games from 2000, 2001, 2003 or 2004? There are quiet a few games like being dominated by Toledo 24-6 or the classic 12-0 loss to Pitt? What about classic 6-4 loss to Iowa? Penn State has had far worse performances then this offensively. How about 2004 season when Penn State was held to 7 or less tpoints 5 times!
Ah yes, the "classic" 6-4 loss to Iowa. As I said above, that Iowa loss, despite the score, was actually an example of good coaching by Penn State. We only won 4 games in 2004, but Iowa finished 11-2 and ranked 8th in the final poll. In their 11 wins they averaged 22 points a game, including 33 in beating OSU and 30 in beating LSU in the Capital One Bowl. We held them to 6, their lowest total of the season. Yes, our offense had a bad day, but the Iowa defense that year held then #25 Ohio State and #9 Wisconsin to 7 points each.

I bet if Temple played FCS they would win the national title this year. They are not a bad team. They may not be a top 25 team but they are a decent team.
I agree, they are decent, not great, not good, decent. They play another decent team on the road this week in Cincinnati. That will tell us more about how decent they really are.

Perfectly put; especially about the waste of Hackenberg's talent. I understand there have been O-line changes and a system change. But play selection and play variety have to be considered as well. Also, this team has had a stable full of stud TE's for two years and they go unused ! If I had a son who was being recruited as a TE to PSU, I would be very leery of putting him into this system.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT