ADVERTISEMENT

The hold on Edwards 67 yard TD..

SLion

May 29, 2001
I think WWE refs are of higher caliber. While Jacobs committed to a bad angle, the OL literally sticks his arm and grabs by jersey. It can't be more clear. I just can't stand this league. It is purposeful.

Klatt shows the review and calls it a great "block"..WTF?

Last edited:
He grabbed him but that is harder to see. He did not extend arm and pull jersey like Edwards run.
Both were bad. I thought the Corum one was worse because it was a tackle (right hand clearly outside the shoulder pad) and it was directly in hole. I get that holding doesn't get called all the time, but jesus....

• Haha
Reactions: Go M&B
If it wasn't for that hold Penn State wins that game for sure. It's all a grand conspiracy to keep Penn State down. I've never seen a ref miss a holding call except when they play Penn State. Furthermore, I think the league should issue a full apology and retroactively change the outcome of the game to show Penn State did in fact beat the Wolverines last Saturday. And give James Franklin a raise, the man is clearly the best coach in the B1G and is only kept down due to the blatant cheating that happens every time Penn State loses.

If it wasn't for that hold Penn State wins that game for sure. It's all a grand conspiracy to keep Penn State down. I've never seen a ref miss a holding call except when they play Penn State. Furthermore, I think the league should issue a full apology and retroactively change the outcome of the game to show Penn State did in fact beat the Wolverines last Saturday. And give James Franklin a raise, the man is clearly the best coach in the B1G and is only kept down due to the blatant cheating that happens every time Penn State loses.
Nine posts since 2009. This one was certainly one too many.

No one said that. But it is a clear no call on a huge momentum changer at a very critical juncture. That's how influence is done. Then call something to "even it out" at a time when it doesn't really matter.

I don't think anyone said any of those things.

But it certainly doesn't help when holding calls are missed. Maybe there were penalties missed on PSU's scoring plays/big plays. Feel free to point them out if you noticed them.

• Haha

Not saying PSU played well enough to win but reality is that it was 17-16 PSU at time and both scoring plays That Edwards run was a backbreaker and should have never allowed given obvious hold. Corum run sealed it. Both seem obvious. We got a ticky tack offensive pass interference on a TE block, down 24-17. We would have been at UM 26 instead pushed us back to our 48 with 3rd and 19. The back judge threw that one late. It was three seconds after the block, almost like oops, PSU driving and got first down. We can't have that. They can't see clear holds though..ok.

Last edited:
I heard there was a hold on Clifford’s long run but haven’t had the chance to see it since I still don’t have cable. Is this true?
The game was on Fox. You didn't need cable, genius.

Feel free to provide a video clip (you obviously have the internet) of the hold and we'll take an honest look. It is certainly possible, but there was no one near Clifford for the first 40 yards of his run so that seems unlikely.

Feel free to provide a video clip (you obviously have the internet) of the hold and we'll take an honest look. It is certainly possible, but there was no one near Clifford for the first 40 yards of his run so that seems unlikely.
I’m using my phone because I don’t have internet at home. Why you ask? Because I lost everything (my cars and everything thing in my house from flooding) in hurricane Ian genius.

Someone at work mentioned it to me so I was wondering. I only saw bitching about a missed hold on Michigan so wondered if it was true if PSU actually had a missed hold on a long run.

Now continue on with educating us all about the game of football, genius

I heard there was a hold on Clifford’s long run but haven’t had the chance to see it since I still don’t have cable. Is this true?

It is in my link at 7.39 mark. 74 extended his arm but did not grab the LB. LB was there to make play but hesitated to keep containment. When he went for SC, 74 pushed him down with hands. I would not call it holding...unlike the Edwards TD where the guard pulled too far, sees Jacobs then reaches a yard back with his arm, grabs him and turns him. Jacobs even did some airplane arms to give refs sight of what happened. Nope.

Last edited:
It is in my link at 7.39 mark. 74 extended his arm but did not grab the LB. LB was there to make play but hesitated to keep containment. When he went for SC, 74 pushed him down with hands. I would not call it holding.
Thank you.

Clifford run

Her is the link to the play. I think 74 is in the clear. It also looked like the MI DL tackled (Nourzad?). I think that one could have been flagged either way though. Looked like a wrestling match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Westcoast24
if the final was 18-17 I would be pissed. We plain and simply got our asses handed to us. We made no adjustments to account for every gap and got bullied at the contact point. So what, he held. Saved us from having to endure another 14 play 84 yard drive. At least that got the ball back to us quicker where our fancy OC had nothing to offer as well.

Reactions: rohrmd9
if the final was 18-17 I would be pissed. We plain and simply got our asses handed to us. We made no adjustments to account for every gap and got bullied at the contact point. So what, he held. Saved us from having to endure another 14 play 84 yard drive. At least that got the ball back to us quicker where our fancy OC had nothing to offer as well.
We did. There are no excuses except poor DL push and poor LB pursuit/tackling. There was nothing fancy here. They seal blocked and DLs need to push OL to close lane while LBs hit running gap fast. We had no DL push, poor lane angles and poor tackling. King, Jacobs, Carter are fast but young. Elsdon is young but not fast. Sutherland as super sr. was horrendous all around.

Reactions: Texas Lion
It was a hold in a football game that was last weekend, get over it. Michigan had over 400 yards rushing and just about had their 3rd string back break a long one at the end of the game.

Clifford run

Her is the link to the play. I think 74 is in the clear. It also looked like the MI DL tackled (Nourzad?). I think that one could have been flagged either way though. Looked like a wrestling match.
Probably a good no call as the DL was definitely holding the OL as well.

It was a hold in a football game that was last weekend, get over it. Michigan had over 400 yards rushing and just about had their 3rd string back break a long one at the end of the game.
Michigan also had their starters in with 5 minutes left up 3 scores. Very classy Jimbo.

• Sad
I’m using my phone because I don’t have internet at home. Why you ask? Because I lost everything (my cars and everything thing in my house from flooding) in hurricane Ian genius.

Someone at work mentioned it to me so I was wondering. I only saw bitching about a missed hold on Michigan so wondered if it was true if PSU actually had a missed hold on a long run.

I'm glad you acknowledge I am a genius.

If you can post on this message board, you can see video highlights on your phone too.

I think WWE refs are of higher caliber. While Jacobs committed to a bad angle, the OL literally sticks his arm and grabs by jersey. It can't be more clear. I just can't stand this league. It is purposeful.

I'm no defensive coordinator, but I don't think the problem was size or anything else as much as us not playing gap sound football on defense. Michigan didn't do anything that exotic, we just weren't in position. Maybe a combination of being too aggressive and some players not recognizing what they were seeing. If Franklin doesn't see that he needs firing. I hope he was just using protecting Diaz a bit and venting about a pet peeve of his when he talks about our size. Because we can have some of the best and strongest athletes in the world, but if the other team has an extra gap and we aren't defending it it's not going to matter. For the Blogy breaks it down pretty well. I'm no coach and I could see that things didn't look right. Penn State flat-out got outcoached. I don't know if it was Harbaugh or Matt Weiss/Sherrone Moore, but hats off to them.

we got our asses handed to us, make no mistake about it. There is no excuse for our OL being that bad for starters.

However, holding plays do matter. Even on that first drive of the second half for UM, they converted on a third and 4, think their QB was able to scramble for the first when Jacobs blitzed, Jacobs got held pretty good which allowed the QB to escape. Such is life, we gave them way too many third and shorts, but those holdings can have big impacts.

What I laughed at was that afterUM went up two TDs and it was apparent that our offense wouldn't be able to move the ball, that UM started getting called for holdings...

• Haha

To pretend this just a PSU issue is cute and ignores over 50 years of history dating back to the 1960s...documented by Sports Illustrated and also by the editor Detroit Free Press by one of UMs greatest. alum. So, puff and laugh all you want.

Hell USC and UCLA want it in writing that they do not want a Blue Job from the Referenes when they join the league.

However, anyone citing these two holds as reason for PSU losing this game is even more childish and delusional than you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: DandyDonII

You've been a welcome visitor for a long time Westcoast24. Michigan earned the win in every conceivable manner in the 2nd half..."holds" or not.

We had no 3rd down stops which forced a punt all day so even with a penalty UM would've got the first down eventually anyway. As bad as the PSU offense was, the defense was worse....

Good luck getting your property sorted out and back together. Some things are more important than football...glad you are safe.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Someone really took the time to start this thread after watching the game as though officiating had any impact. You all need to stop the nonsense

Michigan also had their starters in with 5 minutes left up 3 scores. Very classy Jimbo.
lol--why shouldn't they play their starters? This isn't 6 year old playing flag football. We were a top 10 team--there's no "mercy"

lol--why shouldn't they play their starters? This isn't 6 year old playing flag football. We were a top 10 team--there's no "mercy"
Because the game was in essence over and you are risking losing a starter in garbage time. But style points right

Because the game was in essence over and you are risking losing a starter in garbage time. But style points right
Style points sadly matter but why do we care if they're risking an injury to someone on their team. We're complaining because they didn't play the backups instead of keeping their foot on the gas. Not everyone is Saban vs. Paterno and going to take it easy to avoid embarrassing a lesser team. Nor should we expect them to

You've been a welcome visitor for a long time Westcoast24. Michigan earned the win in every conceivable manner in the 2nd half..."holds" or not.

We had no 3rd down stops which forced a punt all day so even with a penalty UM would've got the first down eventually anyway. As bad as the PSU offense was, the defense was worse....

Good luck getting your property sorted out and back together. Some things are more important than football...glad you are safe.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

Well $hit based on Ron Cook & Mike Morris's logic, only the the winning team is allowed to make big plays so it's perfectly acceptable for Edward's to make his big run with an uncalled hold.
I mean Sean Clifford isn't supposed to make a big run on a read option right? He's never done that before in his career or anything or against any other opponent. The goal of a running play is to get 3 yards then get tackled to the ground right?

Jacobs ran himself out of the play. As a matter of fact, our linebackers did this all day. I would hardly consider this one of the egregious missed calls that occur regularly in the B10.

There should be mercy. It's called sportsmanship. Offensive backups didn't enter the game until 2 minutes left. Harbaugh is a pompous douche.
Harbaugh will probably get his in Columbus, if not the week before at home. Bielema will not be afraid of Michigan.

There should be mercy. It's called sportsmanship. Offensive backups didn't enter the game until 2 minutes left. Harbaugh is a pompous douche.
Harbaugh is a douche but you're wrong. They're playing a top 10 team. This isn't middle school. Paterno made mistakes by taking his foot off the pedal in his career.
Out of curiosity how old are you? I feel like this is just you not adapting to present day football and wishing it was still 1970.

Harbaugh is a douche but you're wrong. They're playing a top 10 team. This isn't middle school. Paterno made mistakes by taking his foot off the pedal in his career.
Out of curiosity how old are you? I feel like this is just you not adapting to present day football and wishing it was still 1970.
LOL. I assure you that I have adapted to modern day football.

Leaving your starters in to score additional points when it is impossible for the other team to win is not classy. It never has been.

LOL. I assure you that I have adapted to modern day football.

Leaving your starters in to score additional points when it is impossible for the other team to win is not classy. It never has been.
How old are you?
You aren't dealing with modern day football if you're complaining about starters playing in the 4th up by 3 scores.
Classy isn't a requirement. The objective is to build the resume. See 1994.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT