ADVERTISEMENT

The Bowls are dying

Are bowls still significant with the opting out?

• No, surely less significant

Votes: 38 88.4%
  • Team with least opt outs

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Agreed.

"Emplyees" should have to show up for their "jobs" to get paid.

The next round of B.S. will be faux "illnesses" with fake Doctors Notes "excusing" players.

If I'm an OSU fan and I drpped even $5 to attend the Cotton Bowl I'm sick to my stomaxh.

A 6 pack of Miller Lite and watching on tv in my Family Room with my hounds was barely worth my investment and time.

Non CFP Bowls can exist as "content" for the holiday season so they won't go away. But like the NIT in hoops- their relative status will be even more minimalized.

Think you're overstating it a bit - it isn't the Bowls fault McCord transferred out (it is absolutely Day's fault and the way he treated McCord - McCord said as much publicly). Brown started the game and was hurt. duhO$U played a team that is going to be very similar to what they are taking into 2024 and they look like they have massive question marks all over the field - many of them caused by Day himself as tons of younger players with eligibility remaining have transferred out to get away from Day.

Remember that the bowls give the coaches weeks of practice that they would not otherwise have. I’m sure the coaches would rather keep the bowls and that extra practice.

They could change the rules if they wanted to give coaches a December practice window regardless.

The bowls have been dying for years - attendance at non-major bowls was dropping prior to BCS Coallition..... continued to fade when they brought the CFP Championship Game..... then the CFP 4-Team Invitational..... some bowls will be incorporated into the new 12-Team structure (i.e., the CFP NY6 games), but the rest will continue to fall into obscurity and eventually just go away I imagine (or maybe just hang around in irrelevance like the NIT). But not news that the minor bowls have been slowly dying for years.

Bowls are dying. That is what happens when you go from 10 bowls to 43 Do we really need 86 bowl teams? I think some 5-7 teams can make a bowl. Wth

Reactions: Westcoast24
Who cares? For over thirty years now sports imo have gotten worse due to money . It makes sense that college football would go that route when ever other sport has.

I barely remember when there was a pennant winner in baseball but definitely remember the old five game playoff between the East and west divisions. Now we have mlb ending in November not early October.

You have 162 games but need like how many playoff teams? All sports are like that.

We have been warned that eventually money will corrupt sports. There was a time when a player would not for a moment consider leaving his team out of fear of being hurt. Nor would they transfer (pre-portal) if they could. But that time is past. We pay cardiovascular surgeons a pittance compared to what we pay a mediocre BB player. Something is wrong - I guess I am really getting old.

Remember that the bowls give the coaches weeks of practice that they would not otherwise have. I’m sure the coaches would rather keep the bowls and that extra practice.

Day should be happy to be able to see how crappy his team looked at the end of 2023 and going into the 2024 season. A lot of introspection is due.

Who cares? For over thirty years now sports imo have gotten worse due to money . It makes sense that college football would go that route when ever other sport has.

I barely remember when there was a pennant winner in baseball but definitely remember the old five game playoff between the East and west divisions. Now we have mlb ending in November not early October.

You have 162 games but need like how many playoff teams? All sports are like that.
I agree with you regarding MLB. MLB is the one sport where a large playoff doesn't make sense. There's 162 games for a reason. It's completely different than 12 or 17 with football. Even the NHL and NBA make sense for a large playoff.

Unfortunately, the NFL is becoming unwatchable with low quality football. The NBA is similarly unwatchable with all of the pansy-ass load balancing and they’re starting to pay for it with ratings and attendance. In the NBA you don’t know if you’re gonna see your favorite player play any given night, so why the hell would you pay to go to the game? in baseball they have made the game such a science that it is also losing it soul.
Guess you didn't see the ratings for the NFL on Christmas. 90 million Americans disagree with you.

Guess you didn't see the ratings for the NFL on Christmas. 90 million Americans disagree with you.
I think his comment comes primarily from Tom Brady complaining weekly because he misses the attention
With all the QBs being injured this year the quality of play does seem down a little bit. Even guys like Trevor Lawrence trying to play through injury is tough to watch

I think his comment comes primarily from Tom Brady complaining weekly because he misses the attention
With all the QBs being injured this year the quality of play does seem down a little bit. Even guys like Trevor Lawrence trying to play through injury is tough to watch
Can't disagree with that I am a Steelers fan. The QB play has been awful this year. I am happy with 200 yards and 0 interceptions.

Reactions: LandoComando
Tie final 25% of all NIL payouts to bowl game participation and that might change it.
Technically illegal, since NIL isn't allowed to be pay for play. We all know it is used for that and for recruiting, but nobody is going to make it that obvious by openly withholding money for not playing a bowl game.

Good, let nature take it's course. Let em die.
The 12 team playoff is the future and rightfully so.
The bowl system has sucked since the beginning of time. Cost Penn State at least two national championships, possibly more.

I am going to respectfully take the opposite side. If we use Manny Diaz as an example, he bolted and left his players for a better opportunity. Manny wasn’t fired and he wasn’t penalized. He just left and benefited as a result.

The players are not interns and they certainly aren’t on an internship. The players are on scholarship and they provide services that are the backbone of college football. Without the players, there would be no billion dollar TV revenue for the B1G conference.

Coaches and college administrators have benefited for decades at the expense of the players. It’s a real pleasure to see the players finally have leverage to better their prospects just like the coaches and college administrators have been doing.
a little aside...for years..including this one...we get invitations to contribute money to help the student athletes. Hell, some of these student athletes are making more money than those being asked to contribute. Now we get the opportunity to contribute to NIL (and we do) for players who decide not to play or to transfer someplace else where they can get more NIL money.

Sometime in the near future I anticipate we'll get the opportunity to contribute to the Beaver stadium upgrade.

For sure college football has changed significantly. And, I'm not sure for the better. It's become great for the players ..they get a free education, and cash/benefits through NIL...great for the coaches that are getting multi year multi million dollar contracts ..I'm not certain it's become better for the paying fan.

Unfortunately, the NFL is becoming unwatchable with low quality football. The NBA is similarly unwatchable with all of the pansy-ass load balancing and they’re starting to pay for it with ratings and attendance. In the NBA you don’t know if you’re gonna see your favorite player play any given night, so why the hell would you pay to go to the game? in baseball they have made the game such a science that it is also losing it soul.
NBA has been unwatchable for a really long time. It kind of hung on for maybe 4-5 years after the end of the bulls run in 1998, then interest went to pretty much zero. i don't understand how it continues to get big tv deals

Reactions: joeaubie21
Technically illegal, since NIL isn't allowed to be pay for play. We all know it is used for that and for recruiting, but nobody is going to make it that obvious by openly withholding money for not playing a bowl game.
Just a couple of years ago, NIL was illegal. Change the system.

Just a couple of years ago, NIL was illegal. Change the system.
And once the schools need to pay players, we can say goodbye to all but a few sports. I hope the powers that be can salvage things so that we still have Wrestling, Women’s Volleyball, Soccer, etc.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Is there something here that is being ignored - are we making believe regarding the teams that make it to the various Bowls? They are NOT the same teams that played during the regular season!! Period. With all the players opting out, you are not seeing the players/team that finished the season. In a strange way, it challenges the ranking of the top teams, as they are not often the same team that was ranked at the end of the year. I feel that the opting out has to be reconsidered OR the Bowl games need reconsideration regarding their importance in determining a national champion. So who is the REAL national champion?
Don't watch. You won't be missed.

And once the schools need to pay players, we can say goodbye to all but a few sports. I hope the powers that be can salvage things so that we still have Wrestling, Women’s Volleyball, Soccer, etc.
Sports without fans should be eliminated. They can become clubs and self supporting for their enthusiasts.

Sports without fans should be eliminated. They can become clubs and self supporting for their enthusiasts.
It may head in that direction, but it would be disappointing…lots of great memories of wrestling matches, women’s volleyball games, men’s and women’s soccer, etc.

It may head in that direction, but it would be disappointing…lots of great memories of wrestling matches, women’s volleyball games, men’s and women’s soccer, etc.
Some of those will survive but most "Olympic sports" won't. Which at some point if you can't generate money to support the program why should it exist?

Title IX will save most women's sports. Wrestling will quickly die (which it is fairly dead already).

If you can't commit up front to 4 years of real classes and the free food, rooming, and free education, you don't belong in college.

I lived in a sports dorm, there were 4 dinning halls, and the dining room for sports players was much more impressive than the other 3.

If you can't commit up front to 4 years of real classes and the free food, rooming, and free education, you don't belong in college.

I lived in a sports dorm, there were 4 dinning halls, and the dining room for sports players was much more impressive than the other 3.
And don’t forget all the free meals they get from the coaches and others. If you want to meet Kentucky’s defensive players, show up at a specific restaurant on Sunday morning after a win. They will be there eating 10-12 huge pancakes and every other side dish available.

Wrestling has thousands of students who show up.
And that's true at a couple of schools...wrestling certainly won't be sustainable as an NCAA sport when the 95% of schools that don't care about it get rid of their programs and there are about 5 programs left.

Why do sponsors give piles of money to these Bowl games? Not many of them were sellouts and with all the opt outs, not entertaining to watch. The players still get bling packages event if they do participate in the game. So the value is declining exponentially.

Why do sponsors give piles of money to these Bowl games? Not many of them were sellouts and with all the opt outs, not entertaining to watch. The players still get bling packages event if they do participate in the game. So the value is declining exponentially.
You've got millions of people watching the Mayo, Pop Tarts, Alamo, Pinstripe, etc Bowls. As long as people are watching, the networks will keep supporting them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT