ADVERTISEMENT

The Bowls are dying

Are bowls still significant with the opting out?

• No, surely less significant

Votes: 38 88.4%
  • Team with least opt outs

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

DrJC

May 29, 2001
Is there something here that is being ignored - are we making believe regarding the teams that make it to the various Bowls? They are NOT the same teams that played during the regular season!! Period. With all the players opting out, you are not seeing the players/team that finished the season. In a strange way, it challenges the ranking of the top teams, as they are not often the same team that was ranked at the end of the year. I feel that the opting out has to be reconsidered OR the Bowl games need reconsideration regarding their importance in determining a national champion. So who is the REAL national champion?

Is there something here that is being ignored - are we making believe regarding the teams that make it to the various Bowls? They are NOT the same teams that played during the regular season!! Period. With all the players opting out, you are not seeing the players/team that finished the season. In a strange way, it challenges the ranking of the top teams, as they are not often the same team that was ranked at the end of the year. I feel that the opting out has to be reconsidered OR the Bowl games need reconsideration regarding their importance in determining a national champion. So who is the REAL national champion?
it's more like ..if you're not part of a playoff team, then why bother. Look at the Ga-florida state game. Between the two teams there are 30+ opt outs. The players don't see the benefit versus the risk of getting hurt. There is no question that the new system of opt outs changes the entire dynamic of ratings.

it's more like ..if you're not part of a playoff team, then why bother. Look at the Ga-florida state game. Between the two teams there are 30+ opt outs. The players don't see the benefit versus the risk of getting hurt. There is no question that the new system of opt outs changes the entire dynamic of ratings.

How many of the opt outs in that game are nfl related vs transfer related?

How many of the opt outs in that game are nfl related vs transfer related?
Here’s a list I saw recently for FSU. Haven’t looked at Georgia

Florida State opt-outs: Transfers, NFL Draft declarees​

1. Quarterback Tate Rodemaker
  2. Linebacker DJ Lundy
  3. Running back Rodney Hill
  4. Defensive lineman Malcolm Ray
  5. Running back CJ Campbell
  6. Offensive tackle Daughtry Richardson
  7. Quarterback A.J. Duffy
  8. Offensive tackle Bless Harris
  9. Defensive lineman Dylan Brown
  10. Tight end Markeston Douglas
  11. Offensive tackle Thomas Shrader
  12. Defensive lineman Ayobami Tifase
  13. Offensive lineman Qae’shon Sapp
  14. Linebacker Dylan Brown-Turner
  15. Wide receiver Johnny Wilson (Declared for NFL Draft)
  16. Defensive lineman Jared Verse (Declared for NFL Draft)
  17. Tight end Jaheim Bell (Declared for NFL Draft)
  18. Running back Trey Benson (Declared for NFL Draft)
  19. Wide receiver Keon Coleman (Declared for NFL Draft)
  20. Cornerback Renardo Green (Declared for NFL Draft)
  21. Defensive back Jarrian Jones (Declared for NFL Draft)

Here’s a list I saw recently for FSU. Haven’t looked at Georgia

Florida State opt-outs: Transfers, NFL Draft declarees​

1. Quarterback Tate Rodemaker
  2. Linebacker DJ Lundy
  3. Running back Rodney Hill
  4. Defensive lineman Malcolm Ray
  5. Running back CJ Campbell
  6. Offensive tackle Daughtry Richardson
  7. Quarterback A.J. Duffy
  8. Offensive tackle Bless Harris
  9. Defensive lineman Dylan Brown
  10. Tight end Markeston Douglas
  11. Offensive tackle Thomas Shrader
  12. Defensive lineman Ayobami Tifase
  13. Offensive lineman Qae’shon Sapp
  14. Linebacker Dylan Brown-Turner
  15. Wide receiver Johnny Wilson (Declared for NFL Draft)
  16. Defensive lineman Jared Verse (Declared for NFL Draft)
  17. Tight end Jaheim Bell (Declared for NFL Draft)
  18. Running back Trey Benson (Declared for NFL Draft)
  19. Wide receiver Keon Coleman (Declared for NFL Draft)
  20. Cornerback Renardo Green (Declared for NFL Draft)
  21. Defensive back Jarrian Jones (Declared for NFL Draft)

So yea more than 50% are transfer related and would presumably be playing otherwise. They’re either going to need to modify the transfer portal timing or bowl season timing.

I'm completely ok with this. Starting next year, if you look at things a bit differently, you'll come to accept the new bowl reality and possibly even enjoy it more.

If your team is in the the playoffs, the chances of opt-outs are pretty slim. You might have 1 opt-out here or there, but chances are everyone will want to play for a championship. This 12 team playoff will be a true playoff, one that we've never had before. It's the end of year tournament that has been sorely needed.

As for the remaining secondary bowls, they will be much more traditional type bowls... meaning, the games don't really mean that much. As is the case, many players will opt out/enter the portal/not play for a myriad of reasons... and that's OK. Fans will watch these games as an indicator of what the team might look like next year. It's basically like a spring game (without the incoming freshmen), but an actual game, not simply an organized practice (like the spring game is).

The only people these secondary bowl games with players opting out will truly piss off are the gamblers.

Last edited:
I am not a gambler. But to see some of the best players leave a team either to transfer or to protect their professional future for the NFL, in my opinion taints the National Championship and some of the excitement of the particular game for the team's respective fans. I just feel that this has not been well thought out. I believe there is a way that the CONCEPT of the portal can be preserved through modification. However, opting out should be discouraged at least and maybe not permitted. Regardless of how you make excuses for opting out, it is a statement about you and your feelings for your teammates. Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know about the all mighty buck

Reactions: dswartz
I am not a gambler. But to see some of the best players leave a team either to transfer or to protect their professional future for the NFL, in my opinion taints the National Championship and some of the excitement of the particular game for the team's respective fans. I just feel that this has not been well thought out. I believe there is a way that the CONCEPT of the portal can be preserved through modification. However, opting out should be discouraged at least and maybe not permitted. Regardless of how you make excuses for opting out, it is a statement about you and your feelings for your teammates. Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know about the all mighty buck
But it doesn’t seem like people are opting out from the playoff teams. With that in mind how is it tainting a National championship?

Last edited:
Maybe we were all just naive in the past. The days when kids appreciated the school that had given them a free education. The days of gratitude are gone from our society except for a few cases here and there. Didn't Saquon play in an unimportant game?

Reactions: LMTLION and dswartz
Bowl don't determine the national champion. The playoff does. No one has opted out of a playoff game yet.

Great. Now let's eliminate them all. The bowls were great up until 10-15 years ago, but now they are not enjoyable to watch. I'd rather watch the Giants vs. Panthers over some garbage bowl with 3rd stringers playing the whole game. The NFL should own this entire week.

Reactions: Yanks49
Just look at ND vs Oregon State
Oregon State's QB attempted one pass all year
Notre Dame's QB played in blowouts
With DJU and Sam (among others) not playing this game doesn't give us any insight on which team is better. It's just for fun and some kids that didn't get to play much not getting a shot. Cool

Been saying this for years. All bowls not part of the CFP are irrelevant. It makes zero financial sense for draft prospects to risk injury in non CFP bowls.

Basically, non CFP bowls consist of teams that are very different from what we saw at the end of the regular season. Glorified scrimmages is what they have become.

Reactions: LandoComando
Maybe we were all just naive in the past. The days when kids appreciated the school that had given them a free education. The days of gratitude are gone from our society except for a few cases here and there. Didn't Saquon play in an unimportant game?

2 way street. The actions of schools as of late aren't for the benefit of their student athletes, they're now strictly whatever helps the bottom line. USC didn't join a conference that results in sending their women's soccer team to play games in the upper midwest and the tri-state area because it's beneficial for those athletes. Schools broke the system, not a kid deciding what's best for them.

Mississippi goin for their first 11 win season- I can almost pitcher Biiiig Daddddddy gettin all riled and antsy like a cat on hot tin...

All comes down to $$. Just like everything else ....... a shame!

But it doesn’t seem like people are opting out from the playoff teams. With that in mind how is it tainting a National championship?
I expect that you have stumped the “Doctor”. He is typically not very good about using logic and reason when he posts.

I think the fairest solution is not to open the portal til after the last bowl. For those going pro, I don’t mind opt out. For those simply jumping ship, I do.

What about the coaches who jump ship and leave their players before the bowls even start.
If coaches are allowed mobility then the players need the same mobility without restrictions.

Why are bowls dying

They have been ruined by stupidity.

What about the coaches who jump ship and leave their players before the bowls even start.
If coaches are allowed mobility then the players need the same mobility without restrictions.
Many times coaches have to pay a penalty to leave, so I guess players should as well. Also, coaches can be fired, I guess players should get fired as well. And finally, this is a coach’s living, it’s just an internship for the players.

They’ve been ruined because people want to have a true national champion in a sport where it’s impossible to have without burning the whole system down and starting over.
I’ve enjoyed the bowls so far. Teams playing hard and wanting to win. Win a little extra cash too so that helps lol

Reactions: Fac and NedFromYork
Teams will always like the extra 15 practices. It is a key part of player development.

Reactions: NedFromYork
As I think I’ve said, sadly, elsewhere, it’s probably time to recognize a union and then just collective bargaining the hell out of the players with respect to things like termination, etc. in exchange for comp and comp terms.

As I think I’ve said, sadly, elsewhere, it’s probably time to recognize a union and then just collective bargaining the hell out of the players with respect to things like termination, etc. in exchange for comp and comp terms.
Theoretically you may be correct. But from a humorous vein with the introduction of a Union my imagination just can’t shake the thought of a mid game wild cat strike because a player was yelled at or benched. In my scenario side line passes would be required for NLRB representatives. Lord, what a tangled web we weave when the incompetent tamper with the imperfect.

Bowl games fall into 3 categories- all have value. Playoff bowls that have a full roster, bowls where next season’s talent is on display because guaranteed draft picks or transfers opted out, and teams with little NFL talent who are just happy to be there. All good in my view.

Reactions: Fac and NedFromYork
Many times coaches have to pay a penalty to leave, so I guess players should as well. Also, coaches can be fired, I guess players should get fired as well. And finally, this is a coach’s living, it’s just an internship for the players.

I am going to respectfully take the opposite side. If we use Manny Diaz as an example, he bolted and left his players for a better opportunity. Manny wasn’t fired and he wasn’t penalized. He just left and benefited as a result.

The players are not interns and they certainly aren’t on an internship. The players are on scholarship and they provide services that are the backbone of college football. Without the players, there would be no billion dollar TV revenue for the B1G conference.

Coaches and college administrators have benefited for decades at the expense of the players. It’s a real pleasure to see the players finally have leverage to better their prospects just like the coaches and college administrators have been doing.

I am going to respectfully take the opposite side. If we use Manny Diaz as an example, he bolted and left his players for a better opportunity. Manny wasn’t fired and he wasn’t penalized. He just left and benefited as a result.

The players are not interns and they certainly aren’t on an internship. The players are on scholarship and they provide services that are the backbone of college football. Without the players, there would be no billion dollar TV revenue for the B1G conference.

Coaches and college administrators have benefited for decades at the expense of the players. It’s a real pleasure to see the players finally have leverage to better their prospects just like the coaches and college administrators have been doing.
Diaz wasn’t a head coach, he was a coordinator and no one can expect a coordinator to stay forever. And the players are not the reason there are billions of dollars in tv revenue, it’s the fans. Without the fans, there would be no players or they’d be like club sports. And the fans are there because of the schools, not the players (the players change constantly, but the fans keep coming back). Without the schools, these players would be working at Subway. Without these players, the schools would just get other players and the fans would still support the schools.

2 way street. The actions of schools as of late aren't for the benefit of their student athletes, they're now strictly whatever helps the bottom line. USC didn't join a conference that results in sending their women's soccer team to play games in the upper midwest and the tri-state area because it's beneficial for those athletes. Schools broke the system, not a kid deciding what's best for them.
It's gone the way of all society. Everything is broken.

Bowl games fall into 3 categories- all have value. Playoff bowls that have a full roster, bowls where next season’s talent is on display because guaranteed draft picks or transfers opted out, and teams with little NFL talent who are just happy to be there. All good in my view.

Do we really need 86 teams in the bowls? Only 11 bowl games in 1970

It is all based on TV ratings. If the ratings hold, the bowls will continue. If the ratings drop, the number of bowls will plummet.

Since we are at Peak Bowl (i.e., the number of bowls), it seems that people are still watching enough to make them profitable.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Great. Now let's eliminate them all. The bowls were great up until 10-15 years ago, but now they are not enjoyable to watch. I'd rather watch the Giants vs. Panthers over some garbage bowl with 3rd stringers playing the whole game. The NFL should own this entire week.
Unfortunately, the NFL is becoming unwatchable with low quality football. The NBA is similarly unwatchable with all of the pansy-ass load balancing and they’re starting to pay for it with ratings and attendance. In the NBA you don’t know if you’re gonna see your favorite player play any given night, so why the hell would you pay to go to the game? in baseball they have made the game such a science that it is also losing it soul.

You think that players aren’t being “fired” today?

The bowls have been dying for years - attendance at non-major bowls was dropping prior to BCS Coallition..... continued to fade when they brought the CFP Championship Game..... then the CFP 4-Team Invitational..... some bowls will be incorporated into the new 12-Team structure (i.e., the CFP NY6 games), but the rest will continue to fall into obscurity and eventually just go away I imagine (or maybe just hang around in irrelevance like the NIT). But not news that the minor bowls have been slowly dying for years.

Been saying this for years. All bowls not part of the CFP are irrelevant. It makes zero financial sense for draft prospects to risk injury in non CFP bowls.

Basically, non CFP bowls consist of teams that are very different from what we saw at the end of the regular season. Glorified scrimmages is what they have become.
And in some cases like PSU, we don't even have the same coaching staff. I think there are ways to deal with this, but it would take some leadership and some courage - two scarce commodities in our society today.

Last edited:
Tie final 25% of all NIL payouts to bowl game participation and that might change it.
Agreed.

"Emplyees" should have to show up for their "jobs" to get paid.

The next round of B.S. will be faux "illnesses" with fake Doctors Notes "excusing" players.

If I'm an OSU fan and I drpped even $5 to attend the Cotton Bowl I'm sick to my stomaxh.

A 6 pack of Miller Lite and watching on tv in my Family Room with my hounds was barely worth my investment and time.

Non CFP Bowls can exist as "content" for the holiday season so they won't go away. But like the NIT in hoops- their relative status will be even more minimalized.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT