ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving with my tOSU and UMich family

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
this was like something from one of those family Christmas comedies. I am sitting in CBus with a mix of both tOSU and UM family - and is also seems the UM are democrats and the tOSU republicans - so there is no safe harbor for topics. somehow we got through Thanksgiving dinner with just family being close. as we were watching the Cowboy game it was hard to talk without getting into the game. my UM relatives are very tense about this game.....even though they are the favorites. it is like if they lose this one it will be very difficult to come back from. the tOSU family are actually less verbal and just keep saying lets see what happens.

I am sitting in the middle of this fun and games until they both wanted to discuss PSU. it was very surprising that my UM brother-in-law actually said that UM had big advantages the last two times PSU visited AA.......he noted that we were really down and injured in both games. he remembered we had no LBs in 2016 and the PSU team tOSU faced was totally different. he also said that if UMich had to face PSU with McSorley at 100% it would not have been that type of game. he gave props to Stevens for driving for the final score as UM really wanted that shutout. obviously family, but at least he acknowledged this without me saying anything.

I'd rather be irrelevant than give up the 50 IQ points to be a Buckeye fan.

And....we're hardly irrelevant

i think my UM relatives are all running an additional 20 pts on their blood pressure. never seen such a nervous bunch. last few years they were not expected to win.

Reactions: PSU87
"Irrelevant"? So 8 - 3 and 15th in the Nation, while playing in one of the toughest division in the Nation, is irrelevant? The 108 ranked below PSU must be really irrreeelleeevvvaaannnttt.

We're irrelevant in the Big Ten east right now. Ohio State & Michigan aren't. It's okay to acknowledge that.

Correction: by right now I mean this season. Both Ohio State & Michigan can win the division. We can not. That's irrelevant.

I can't decide who I want to win, but then I remember....Harbaugh.
It will be worth seeing his, and their fans' meltdown.

TOSU for the win and the BIG is left out of the CFP again. No way tOSU jumps Oklahoma if they win out and the top three remain the same.

this was like something from one of those family Christmas comedies. I am sitting in CBus with a mix of both tOSU and UM family - and is also seems the UM are democrats and the tOSU republicans - so there is no safe harbor for topics. somehow we got through Thanksgiving dinner with just family being close. as we were watching the Cowboy game it was hard to talk without getting into the game. my UM relatives are very tense about this game.....even though they are the favorites. it is like if they lose this one it will be very difficult to come back from. the tOSU family are actually less verbal and just keep saying lets see what happens.

I am sitting in the middle of this fun and games until they both wanted to discuss PSU. it was very surprising that my UM brother-in-law actually said that UM had big advantages the last two times PSU visited AA.......he noted that we were really down and injured in both games. he remembered we had no LBs in 2016 and the PSU team tOSU faced was totally different. he also said that if UMich had to face PSU with McSorley at 100% it would not have been that type of game. he gave props to Stevens for driving for the final score as UM really wanted that shutout. obviously family, but at least he acknowledged this without me saying anything.
How many of these kinfolk actually attended either UM or tOSU? I find that some of the most obnoxious college fans never actually even sniffed getting admitted to their "favorite university".

How many of these kinfolk actually attended either UM or tOSU? I find that some of the most obnoxious college fans never actually even sniffed getting admitted to their "favorite university".

mix of both. my brother has worked at tOSU, and been in CBus for a while. he got his MBA at Wharton and law degree from Yale, so no tOSU. his wife and three others are all tOSU grads. only 2 of the 5 UMich are grads there - the others are just lifetime Michiganders and two actually have degrees from Illinois and Wisconsin, but bleed maize and blue. they all work in Detroit for auto companies.

we finally moved the discussion to NAFTA to reduce chance of a fight - and now watching movies together. tomorrow will be the tension. I wore PSU gear and nobody said squat.

Odd, I live in Michigan. Most Michigan fans are conservatives and Sparty fans are liberals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT