ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Linguine & Clam Sauce

Nittany_9

Feb 21, 2002
I want to make linguine and white clam sauce for UMass game. I’ve never made it before and my game day crew, we like to pick a dish that somewhat represents the region our opponent is from. We try and make it as homemade as is practical (we may make the linguine as example)….

Anyone have a family secret recipe you’d share?

Reactions: jjw165
I never made it before, although I do like eating it.

Honestly, my go to for things like that is the food network app. I'm partial to a lot of Bobby Flays recipies. But I like peppers and he cooks with a lot of them. He is a NYC guy, I'm not sure who on there is from the New England area, who would likely specialize in such a dish.

I buy clams, Littleneck. This is for 18 or so.

I use butter, white wine, garlic, and parsly. I put this all into enough water to cover the clams and cover the dish on medium. When all of the clams open, I take them out and set them aside. I think taste the water. I add more butter, wine and garlic to taste. Sometimes I'll add some flour, just a little, to give it more substance. Pepper and salt as well.

When I get it to the taste I want, I put the linguini in a bowl, I cover it with some clams and I pour the sauce over it. Easy peasy...if you need a recipe.

Reactions: jjw165
I want to make linguine and white clam sauce for UMass game. I’ve never made it before and my game day crew, we like to pick a dish that somewhat represents the region our opponent is from. We try and make it as homemade as is practical (we may make the linguine as example)….

And a coke with no ice?

I use butter, white wine, garlic, and parsly. I put this all into enough water to cover the clams and cover the dish on medium. When all of the clams open, I take them out and set them aside. I think taste the water. I add more butter, wine and garlic to taste. Sometimes I'll add some flour, just a little, to give it more substance. Pepper and salt as well.

When I get it to the taste I want, I put the linguini in a bowl, I cover it with some clams and I pour the sauce over it. Easy peasy...if you need a recipe.
This sounds right but I add a little heavy cream as well. Pretty eassy.

Reactions: Obliviax
There's a couple ways to go with it.

-- classic: Dry white wine, good quality olive oil, fresh garlic/onion (I go light on these), clam juice, red/black pepper, optionally thicken with a little roux. Brighten with a sprinkle of lemon juice if it needs it, finish with butter. You want it dry and slightly tangy because the clams are sweet.

Or here's a more pesto approach.

Lots of fresh basil, garlic, very good olive oil, pine nuts (walnuts a good substitute), clam juice, a little cream or puree a little ricotta or goat cheese to add tang, just blend it with a stick blender. You want the basil to balance the sauce and stand up to the clam flavor.

There's a couple ways to go with it.

-- classic: Dry white wine, good quality olive oil, fresh garlic/onion (I go light on these), clam juice, red/black pepper, optionally thicken with a little roux. Brighten with a sprinkle of lemon juice if it needs it, finish with butter. You want it dry and slightly tangy because the clams are sweet.

Or here's a more pesto approach.

Lots of fresh basil, garlic, very good olive oil, pine nuts (walnuts a good substitute), clam juice, a little cream or puree a little ricotta or goat cheese to add tang, just blend it with a stick blender. You want the basil to balance the sauce and stand up to the clam flavor.

Go to recipe for linguine with clam sauce at Don Peppe restaurant on Internet. They are world famous for their clam sauce with linguine. They have video. If you have not had the opportunity to go to Don Peppe in NY, put it on your bucket list. Make it for lunch as you need to know one of the Five Families to get in for dinner.

I add some red pepper flakes for some zing, as well as basil at the end. You can always substitute olive oil for butter if you like.

Buy a tube of anchovy paste and add one half teaspoon when heating the olive oil. Than follow your favorite recipe.

With any white sauce I love a good amount of shallots. Sautee them and they add a nice sweetness to the dish. If you don't have them you can use red onion but it takes much longer to get them as sweet.

lots of good advice here. A plop of anchovies paste or a few anchovies mashed into sauce base, garlic, shallots if you have them, red pepper flakes (mandatory) olive oil, clam juice white wine Build that up, once to your liking add cams and let them open in it , parsley, basil, and thicken with shaved parmesan and lemon juice to brighten if needed . Then toss linguine into pot with clams and sauce serve with more parm and crusty bread to soak up juice

Reactions: hlstone
With any white sauce I love a good amount of shallots. Sautee them and they add a nice sweetness to the dish. If you don't have them you can use red onion but it takes much longer to get them as sweet.
I add shallots to a lobster thermidor recipe I have...use the same recipe with scallops for a cheaper option..leftovers make a very good omellette.

No recipes here but the most important thing for me is to make sure the clams are well cleaned.

I recommend Little Neck Clams. Let them cook in sauce as way to see if they open(are fresh).

I recommend Little Neck Clams. Let them cook in sauce as way to see if they open(are fresh).
little neck definitely are right size if you throwing them in whole in the shell. Cherry stones have to much shell to have them in the pasta, but could steam them open, pull out meat and chop back into sauce. You said for game, but did not specify if for a tail gate. But this is definitely a sit down kind of meal, need bowl on stable surface and 2 hands to manage clams in shells, not really a stand around tail gate kind of thing.

a couple of other variants we do is to start with a little guanciale or bacon (just a little) or some dry Portuguese chorizo in a fine dice small but big enough to bite into in the pan in the oil before the garlic etc. Brown those off and then add back at end

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT