ADVERTISEMENT

Talking heads

dontgojoepa

Dec 8, 2003
I know - the polls don't matter at this point. Just win and everything will take care of itself. The talking heads are idiots. There's no difference between being ranked 5 or 4 at this point. This is all the BOT's fault.

These are all very true, but it's just still crazy how PSU never gets any respect. There is no way, objectively, that Clemson should be ranked ahead of PSU at this point looking at their respective schedules and wins over FPI ranked teams (PSU has 3, Clemson 1).

When this was pointed out on ESPN's Road to the Championship (or whatever they call that show), every one of the talking heads said, "yeah - but, you know, the eye test." Heather Dinich also pointed out PSU's tough win over Pitt, who is a fairly good team and treats that game like their Super Bowl (implying we shouldn't have struggled as much as we did) - without even a mention of the fact that Clemson almost lost to UNC.

Even on BTN, the talking heads two weeks ago were like, the jury is still out on PSU, and let's see how they play against some tougher opponents (a test apparently not applied to any of the teams ranked above PSU with worse strength of schedule to date).

Just tired of it. You know that if the roles were reversed, and Clemson played PSU's schedule and PSU beat up on a bunch of bottom dwellers, every one would still have Clemson ranked above PSU and would be bashing PSU's strength of schedule.

Again, I know this all doesn't matter in the scheme of actually making the playoffs, or rankings at the end of the year, or the bowl game we'll end up in - but it does matter in terms of fairness and perception. Two areas that it seems Penn State will never get the benefit of the doubt on.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: dogwood3131
As much as I bleed blue and white, I kind of agree with them. The sputtering offense as the game goes on has me very very concerned. I do believe the defense can keep us in the game but we seem to rely on the big play to add points. Only time will tell and hopefully the team will use this as motivation to get fired up to win out.

No, no. It isn’t real. It’s all just SCHTICK. :eek: . INTERNET. CONTRARIAN. :eek:

I know - the polls don't matter at this point. Just win and everything will take care of itself. The talking heads are idiots. There's no difference between being ranked 5 or 4 at this point. This is all the BOT's fault.

These are all very true, but it's just still crazy how PSU never gets any respect. There is no way, objectively, that Clemson should be ranked ahead of PSU at this point looking at their respective schedules and wins over FPI ranked teams (PSU has 3, Clemson 1).

When this was pointed out on ESPN's Road to the Championship (or whatever they call that show), every one of the talking heads said, "yeah - but, you know, the eye test." Heather Dinich also pointed out PSU's tough win over Pitt, who is a fairly good team and treats that game like their Super Bowl (implying we shouldn't have struggled as much as we did) - without even a mention of the fact that Clemson almost lost to UNC.

Even on BTN, the talking heads two weeks ago were like, the jury is still out on PSU, and let's see how they play against some tougher opponents (a test apparently not applied to any of the teams ranked above PSU with worse strength of schedule to date).

Just tired of it. You know that if the roles were reversed, and Clemson played PSU's schedule and PSU beat up on a bunch of bottom dwellers, every one would still have Clemson ranked above PSU and would be bashing PSU's strength of schedule.

Again, I know this all doesn't matter in the scheme of actually making the playoffs, or rankings at the end of the year, or the bowl game we'll end up in - but it does matter in terms of fairness and perception. Two areas that it seems Penn State will never get the benefit of the doubt on.

Yes the BOT is responsible for a #5 ranking. You should thank them

I believe the polls very much matter - should PSU lose a close game in Columbus.
Yes but not with Clemson. If we lose a close game in Columbus the discussion will be between us, Oklahoma, Oregon, and 1or 2 SEC teams depending on who wins the SEC championship game.

Don't let it keep you up at night. Clemson and Alabama belong there. They're invincible unless and until they lose a game that matters to a team other than the other. LSU and tOSU look fantastic. If we beat this tOSU team in Columbus, PSU will have respect to spare, even if Herbstreit wets his pants, sucks his thumb and cries it was a fluke. Let's earn it before we start whining about not having it.

Clemson and Bama get recency bias because they have played and won the most of the championships during the playoff system. It will take a couple of 1 or more loss seasons for them to be treated like the rest of college football.

Reactions: Shadow99

After a rant like that I'd imagine you're close to Burning Down the House.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and JWB389
Don't let it keep you up at night. Clemson and Alabama belong there. They're invincible unless and until they lose a game that matters to a team other than the other. LSU and tOSU look fantastic. If we beat this tOSU team in Columbus, PSU will have respect to spare, even if Herbstreit wets his pants, sucks his thumb and cries it was a fluke. Let's earn it before we start whining about not having it.

While I have no qualm with LSU and tOSU being ahead of us (they have both looked fantastic and beat some quality opposition), Why is Clemson invincible until they lose? Because of last year? While, no doubt that factor is playing a role in the talking heads' minds, it shouldn't. Last year's schedule and outcome should have no bearing on this year's rankings. NONE.

And the point of the post is that we shouldn't have to beat OSU in Columbus to first get respect. That's a standard that appears to only apply to us. Doesn't matter that we beat 3 FPI teams (including a UM team that the pundits are now drooling over). Or even if we add an undefeated Minny to our resume in two weeks (that'll just be chalked up to Minny playing no one). Unless PSU beats OSU in Columbus, no respect.

Well, I did hear on my way to work this morning that if PSU loses to OSU they should still get in ahead of Oklahoma....so there’s that.

That’s the problem with the system, only certain teams have to “earn it”.

While I have no qualm with LSU and tOSU being ahead of us (they have both looked fantastic and beat some quality opposition), Why is Clemson invincible until they lose? Because of last year? While, no doubt that factor is playing a role in the talking heads' minds, it shouldn't. Last year's schedule and outcome should have no bearing on this year's rankings. NONE.

And the point of the post is that we shouldn't have to beat OSU in Columbus to first get respect. That's a standard that appears to only apply to us. Doesn't matter that we beat 3 FPI teams (including a UM team that the pundits are now drooling over). Or even if we add an undefeated Minny to our resume in two weeks (that'll just be chalked up to Minny playing no one). Unless PSU beats OSU in Columbus, no respect.
No respect, huh? We're ranked #5 in both polls.

What about Baylor, Minny, SMU and App State? They're all undefeated and behind a 2-loss Auburn team.

Lighten up. This team is doing great but doesn't look like a world-beater yet.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
I personally hold a Caesar's Palace ticket that will pay me $8000 if Penn State wins the national championship, so I have skin in the game.

However, many of us thought 9-3 or 10-2 would be a reasonably good season, and I'm thinking 11-1 and a Rose Bowl berth is a slam dunk right now.

But IF (big IF) the team ekes out a win over Ohio State and runs the table, it then must also beat Wisconsin (or Minnesota again) in the B1G championship, and then beat two of Alabama, Clemson, LSU or maybe even Ohio State again. Jeeesh!

Win out and none of it matters...lose and you're likely out...it's that simple...none of the current polls matter and the Playoff committee in the past has done their first poll way different than the AP and Coaches. It wouldn't surprise me if the CFP committee has PSU in their initial top 4 behind OSU and LSU. Clemson and Bama have played No one...heck bama's schedule might be worse than Clemson's..

Reactions: brupsu
As much as I bleed blue and white, I kind of agree with them. The sputtering offense as the game goes on has me very very concerned. I do believe the defense can keep us in the game but we seem to rely on the big play to add points. Only time will tell and hopefully the team will use this as motivation to get fired up to win out.

The sputtering offense is why everyone said this team wouldn't go 3-0 over the last 3 games, yet here we are. They've been the trendy "Upset Alert" pick by national media 4 of 8 games this season (Maryland, Iowa, Michigan, and MSU). In those games they are 4-0 and with a combined score of 132-40.

LSU gets credit for gutting out a 3 point win over Auburn yet PSU gets penalized for a 7 point win over Michigan not being pretty or complete. The whole eye test system is f*d. /rant

I personally hold a Caesar's Palace ticket that will pay me $8000 if Penn State wins the national championship, so I have skin in the game.

However, many of us thought 9-3 or 10-2 would be a reasonably good season, and I'm thinking 11-1 and a Rose Bowl berth is a slam dunk right now.

But IF (big IF) the team ekes out a win over Ohio State and runs the table, it then must also beat Wisconsin (or Minnesota again) in the B1G championship, and then beat two of Alabama, Clemson, LSU or maybe even Ohio State again. Jeeesh!
$8k??? What did you bet a nickel??? Tic

Reactions: brupsu and Fac
Who cares at this point.Things will work themselves out.If you want to be pissed at someone my vote goes to Delaney for his ham handed butcher job of undermining his conference champion.Up until then that was one of the main criteria.Now it's a beauty pageant.Until they expand this to eight or ten teams there will be deserving teams left with no choice but the non factor bowl games.

That’s the problem with the system, only certain teams have to “earn it”.
I wouldn't say that. I would say some teams have earned it. And who whines about an undefeated reigning national champion being respected too much? They've played in 3 of the last 4 and won two. Alabama played in all 4 and won two. Yes. Those teams have earned it no matter how great we've looked in the first half of our last two games.

A very small minority of observers expects PSU to beat OSU in Columbus. If PSU wins that game, there's a good chance we'd leapfrog the reigning national champions, or at least the gold standard program in our conference. Then we'd have another to win in Indy.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

My ticket on PSU is from MGM Grand! Only $2500 though

No respect, huh? We're ranked #5 in both polls.

What about Baylor, Minny, SMU and App State? They're all undefeated and behind a 2-loss Auburn team.

Lighten up. This team is doing great but doesn't look like a world-beater yet.

Pointing to Baylor, Minny, SMU just proves my point. There's a double standard. Clemson who plays no one and looks like a "world beater" against cupcakes is ranked 4th, and Minny who plays no one and has beaten up on their opponents as of late is ranked 13. Not saying Clemson should be ranked as low as that, but there should be some consistency.

And, if you think I'm saying that I'm disappointed in being ranked 5th, or we get absolutely no respect - you are missing the point. It's the inherent bias against certain teams and for others.

Last edited:
Teams like those you mention are in the position we were in a few years ago. Coming off the sanctions, PSU would start the season unranked and could maybe crack the mid-to-upper-teens with a 6-0 record. Even a perfect 12-0 a few years ago still might not have gotten the team into the playoff.

Now, PSU starts in or near the top 10 and can work up from there. "We" (I don't play) have worked our way up in the pecking order but don't yet have the big wins or recent championship (perceived pedigree?) to crack the "elite" tier (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma).

We are getting closer. The roster is improving (both the starters and the depth are trending better), they are eliminating bad losses and they are getting more "good" wins (Mich/Mich State/Iowa). Next step is to knock of tOSU, go to the big dance and show that we belong. I'm not sure that will happen this year but this team is on the right track. It wasn't all that long ago that Clemson and George weren't part of the club either.

LSU gets credit for gutting out a 3 point win over Auburn yet PSU gets penalized for a 7 point win over Michigan not being pretty or complete.

10/20 Pundits: Penn State isn't that good because they barely beat a clearly overrated and underperforming Michigan team.
10/27 Pundits: In beating Notre Dame, Michigan might be the best 2-loss team in the country. Clearly the most underrated team in the rankings.

10/13 Pundits: Let's see how Penn State holds up after tough road games at Iowa and Michigan State and a tough home game against a superior Michigan team.
10/27 Pundits: To me, Penn State hasn't proven anything until they can go into Columbus and compete against Ohio State.

Nobody moves the goalposts like pundits commenting on Penn State.

Pointing to Baylor, Minny, SMU just proves my point. There's a double standard. Clemson who plays no one and looks like a "world beater" against cupcakes is ranked 4th, and Minny who plays no one and has beaten up on their opponents as of late is ranked 13. Not saying Clemson should be ranked as low as that, but there should be some consistency.

And, if you think I'm saying that I'm disappointed in being ranked 5th, or we get absolutely no respect - you are missing the point. It's the inherent bias against certain teams and for others.
Minny is ranked where they are because based on what folks have seen of their play, their roster, etc., nobody expects them to beat us or Wisky or probably Iowa for that matter. We're ranked where we are because most expect us to drop one soon.
Unless PSU beats OSU in Columbus, no respect.
Yeah, my bad. I missed your point by focusing on what you wrote.

Argue with someone else. Or don't. IF we beat OSU, CJF and PSU finally beats all three of our biggest annual challenges in B1GE, there will be respect to share and you can continue to be happy, or at least not disappointed by the ranking I'm misinterpreting you as complaining about.

10/20 Pundits: Penn State isn't that good because they barely beat a clearly overrated and underperforming Michigan team.
10/27 Pundits: In beating Notre Dame, Michigan might be the best 2-loss team in the country. Clearly the most underrated team in the rankings.

10/13 Pundits: Let's see how Penn State holds up after tough road games at Iowa and Michigan State and a tough home game against a superior Michigan team.
10/27 Pundits: To me, Penn State hasn't proven anything until they can go into Columbus and compete against Ohio State.

that is comical.
If you can actually attribute those statements to one person, please do. Bonus points if it's Herbstreit.

10/27 Pundits: In beating Notre Dame, Michigan might be the best 2-loss team in the country. Clearly the most underrated team in the rankings. Also don’t forget about their big second half comeback last week against Penn State.

fify

Win out and none of it matters...lose and you're likely out...it's that simple...none of the current polls matter and the Playoff committee in the past has done their first poll way different than the AP and Coaches. It wouldn't surprise me if the CFP committee has PSU in their initial top 4 behind OSU and LSU. Clemson and Bama have played No one...heck bama's schedule might be worse than Clemson's..

Oh contraire mon fraire! It does matter. The top five teams are undefeated. But four of them play each other so that means only three could possibly end up undefeated. And that is before the conference title games. Which means that at least one team with one loss will be in the playoffs. One or two upsets in the title games could mean two or even three one-loss teams are in the playoffs.

There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth across the country after the four teams are announced.

Teams like those you mention are in the position we were in a few years ago. Coming off the sanctions, PSU would start the season unranked and could maybe crack the mid-to-upper-teens with a 6-0 record. Even a perfect 12-0 a few years ago still might not have gotten the team into the playoff.

Now, PSU starts in or near the top 10 and can work up from there. "We" (I don't play) have worked our way up in the pecking order but don't yet have the big wins or recent championship (perceived pedigree?) to crack the "elite" tier (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma).

We are getting closer. The roster is improving (both the starters and the depth are trending better), they are eliminating bad losses and they are getting more "good" wins (Mich/Mich State/Iowa). Next step is to knock of tOSU, go to the big dance and show that we belong. I'm not sure that will happen this year but this team is on the right track. It wasn't all that long ago that Clemson and George weren't part of the club either.
This was a rebuilding year. Next year's PSU squad will be scary good. And unless something crazy happens to intervene, these misdirected pundits will likely agree.

Oh contraire mon fraire! It does matter. The top five teams are undefeated. But four of them play each other so that means only three could possibly end up undefeated. And that is before the conference title games. Which means that at least one team with one loss will be in the playoffs. One or two upsets in the title games could mean two or even three one-loss teams are in the playoffs.

There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth across the country after the four teams are announced.

did you read what you responded to? He said win out and it doesn’t matter. You’re response did nothing to refute that.

did you read what you responded to? He said win out and it doesn’t matter. You’re response did nothing to refute that.
Oh contraire mon fraire!....again.

Actually, you clipped a critical passage from that quote; "Win out and none of it matters...lose and you're likely out...it's that simple...none of the current polls matter"

While winning out solves all speculation, lose and you could still have a decent shot. So it ain't that simple. Plus the polls do matter when a one loss team, or several one loss teams, make the playoffs.

Oh contraire mon fraire!....again.

Actually, you clipped a critical passage from that quote; "Win out and none of it matters...lose and you're likely out...it's that simple...none of the current polls matter"

While winning out solves all speculation, lose and you could still have a decent shot. So it ain't that simple. Plus the polls do matter when a one loss team, or several one loss teams, make the playoffs.

And they don't matter at all if you win out. missing where he said they don't matter if you lose.

Most of you guys think we don't get respect from the media. i have the idea we are not disrespected. I think our treatment is downright prejudice, or bias, if you prefer a different word. We have won numerous games over the years that have proven our quality but we don't have the support of the media. That is why the talking heads are important. They give the public the perception that permits support. They want to downplay our team because they fear our ability to dominate. When we went undefeated in 1994 we were actually voted down after we demolished Ohio State. The Big Ten press generally hates Penn State. Look at the Sandusky affair. The football team and coach got punished for something that was not football related. I believe we can properly call all of these people PSUphobes.

Reactions: Option Bob
The sputtering offense is why everyone said this team wouldn't go 3-0 over the last 3 games, yet here we are. They've been the trendy "Upset Alert" pick by national media 4 of 8 games this season (Maryland, Iowa, Michigan, and MSU). In those games they are 4-0 and with a combined score of 132-40.

LSU gets credit for gutting out a 3 point win over Auburn yet PSU gets penalized for a 7 point win over Michigan not being pretty or complete. The whole eye test system is f*d. /rant

What was that saying again: "Defense wins championships!" :D

Minny is ranked where they are because based on what folks have seen of their play, their roster, etc., nobody expects them to beat us or Wisky or probably Iowa for that matter. We're ranked where we are because most expect us to drop one soon.

Yeah, my bad. I missed your point by focusing on what you wrote.

Argue with someone else. Or don't. IF we beat OSU, CJF and PSU finally beats all three of our biggest annual challenges in B1GE, there will be respect to share and you can continue to be happy, or at least not disappointed by the ranking I'm misinterpreting you as complaining about.

Minny is ranked where they are because they've beaten nobody and have had some close calls against questionable teams (sounds strangely to familiar to Clemson, no?).

I'm complaining about the ranking only with respect to the bias - not the number. If you don't see or believe that that bias exists, and really think it's fair that in order to get respect from the media we must first beat OSU at Columbus (notwithstanding that that's not a standard the darlings of college football would ever be held to), I can't help you.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Minny is ranked where they are because they've beaten nobody and have had some close calls against questionable teams (sounds strangely to familiar to Clemson, no?).

I'm complaining about the ranking only with respect to the bias - not the number. If you don't see or believe that that bias exists, and really think it's fair that in order to get respect from the media we must first beat OSU at Columbus (notwithstanding that that's not a standard the darlings of college football would ever be held to), I can't help you.
Clemson would be favored over all but 2-3 teams in the country. The media is biased towards good football teams, of which Clemson is a pretty good one.

This was a rebuilding year. Next year's PSU squad will be scary good. And unless something crazy happens to intervene, these misdirected pundits will likely agree.
Best player on the team will be gone next year.
PSU will be good , but not scary good:eek:

Clemson would be favored over all but 2-3 teams in the country. The media is biased towards good football teams, of which Clemson is a pretty good one.

Perhaps - but it's difficult to actually compare and evaluate who is better outside of record and the strength of your schedule and the teams you beat. Otherwise, we're saying that the eye-test matters and encouraging teams (especially those that already have the bias in their favor), to schedule weak opponents and beat the crap out of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT