ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Clemson

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Nice start but Clemson back to even with Pickett on the bench. Pickett returns and PSU builds lead back to 10 before small Clemson run at end of the half.

Clemson shooting 50% from 3pt range and giving smaller PSU defenders problems down low.

Bewildering play at end of half. PSU has 6 pt lead and the ball with 34.9 seconds remaining. I was thinking hold for last shot but Johnson shoots and mmisses immediately which gives Clemson last shot. Fortunately they missed.

35-29

Last edited:
Reactions: NC2017
Njie has to get stronger. An alley opp pass slipped through his fingers in the 1st half. A couple of passes and rebounds he couldn't handle.

Clemson getting more physical on inside and with bigger defender to stop Pickett penetration.

Clemson takes lead with 11-2 run. PSU offense struggles when Pickett can't penitrate.

Clemson up 40-37 now….just feeding it inside and we can’t stop it. I also wish we would stop with all the fade away jump shots. I think against bigger teams we just need to chuck up threes and hope we get hot. We can’t stop big guys inside.

44-40 Clemson with 12:00 left. Refs calling a lot of fouls….five guys on Penn State’s team have at least two fouls and three on Clemson’s team.

Henn looks totally overmatched.

Danger time. Clemson leads by 7 and they're in the bonus. PSU is struggling with Clemson's physical play. Surprised we haven’t seen more of Mahaffey.

Last edited:
54-47 Clemson with 7:45 left. And the fouls keep racking up. Hard to watch.

63-58 Clemson with 3:28 left….getting torched by one guy from Clemson.

Reactions: bdgan
Tough night for Dread and Funk.

Last edited:
6'8" Hunter Tyson has really hurt PSU. He stopped Pickett penetration, 5-7 shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 assists.

How do you let Tyson unguarded for a 3? That's probably the game.

Questionable blocking call on Dread…Clemson made one of two. PSU had a chance to go up four with about 44 seconds left, but missed the shot. Clemson has the ball, down two with about 42 seconds left.

Missed shot by Clemson but the ball goes off Pickett’s finger and Clemson gets the ball back. Unlucky bounces.

Questionable blocking call on Dread…Clemson made one of two. PSU had a chance to go up four with about 44 seconds left, but missed the shot. Clemson has the ball, down two with about 42 seconds left.
Agree. Dread had tough matches on Clemson big men. I think that impacted his offense.

94-88 Clemson with 59 seconds left. Clemson might be the most obnoxious team I’ve seen in a long time.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Players are tired. Funk was late defending the 3 at the beginning of double OT. Then Pickett settled for an early 3 that missed. Those are signs of being tired.

Njie is learning but I think the wrong guy at this time.

Should have fouled Clemson with 20 seconds left. At worse PSU would have got last shot.

Unfortunately a team like PSU can’t afford to lose OOC games if they want any chance of making the tournament.
Clemson's been competitive against a good Iowa team but it's also not like Clemson's an elite OOC game. This is a tough loss barring a miracle comeback. They do look improved though.

Unfortunately a team like PSU can’t afford to lose OOC games if they want any chance of making the tournament.
But part of that is because we play so few good OOC games. We lost to the only Power 5 teams we will play non conference. Yeah, we beat Butler but they are not one of the better Big East team right now. Basically we would have to make waves in conference because our OOC won’t do us any favors in the RPI.

In the deja vu all over again category we only scored maybe 4 points from the 2 minute mark in the first half til the 15 or so mark in the 2nd. Stuck from 36 to 40 while Clemson was surging. Turnovers, offensive fouls, missed shots...felt like last season.

This game was frustrating, especially Pickett's open miss at end of OT...
we didn't deserve to get that good of a shot, just like Funk's bank shot was beyond fortunate.

Still strong coaching and effort. Myles Dread had a really tough night. I sense we will lose a lot of games like this to Big 10 teams with much better players than Clemson- especially ones who don't chirp and whine all night. #24 was the biggest bitch, #5 was on a role and likely the mvp, and even #10 looked to be mouthing off.

Oh well...a good distraction on a Tuesday night!

Good tough scrappy NIT team...probably going to take 5 more years for an NCAA team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT