ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl LV (Bucs - Chiefs) game thread

That’s weak....he’s the best of any era. If anything, the older era made it easier for a QB to win multiple SB’s...players were stuck on a team so they could have tons of talent on one team.
Weak? Lol....can’t touch the qb today. The WRs can’t get touched after five yards. Iineman can go multiple yards down field on passing plays without penalty. The defense leads with its head and players get tossed. That’s a totally different game on offense.

None of that takes away from tommy, only his cheating record does. But I don’t compare people from different eras because it’s apples and oranges.

It’s awful.
Not a fan of country, there are a few good country songs and country stars. But it is very judge mental of you to dismiss an entire genre just because you don’t approve. Thought we were all in this together, unity and all that stuff? Allow people to be different. Accept and enjoy the variety of life. Be happy, young man.

Gotta hand it to Tampa’s defense, didn’t let Hill beat them, controlled Kelce for the most part, and made Mahomes run for his life most of the night. No idea why KC didn’t change things up in the 2nd half to try and slow down the pass rush, instead kept with the deep routes that were low percentage all night long. Hate to see Brady win again, but really happy for Tampa to enjoy success for such a historically awful franchise.

That’s weak....he’s the best of any era. If anything, the older era made it easier for a QB to win multiple SB’s...players were stuck on a team so they could have tons of talent on one team.

"If anything, the older era" would have made it harder for him to stay in one piece long enough to even get to his first Super Bowl. You can't compare eras. They're apples to oranges. Football was a different game back then.

Guys like Bradshaw had a much better arm, quicker release, and more mobility and speed when he first came up than Brady did. And he played on an exponentially worse team at first. But he was able to weather the hits and assaults on the QB that Brady never had to, and win four Super Bowls.

We'll never know how long Brady would have lasted back then. We do know that under today's rules, where it's basically two hand touch on the QB, among his contemporaries, Brady is the best. He had a great year, and he's had a great career.

Last edited:
"If anything, the older era" would have made it harder for him to stay in one piece long enough to even get to his first Super Bowl". You can't compare eras. They're apples to oranges. Football was a different game back then.

Guys like Bradshaw had a much better arm, quicker release, and more mobility and speed when he first came up than Brady did. And he played on an exponentially worse team at first. But he was able to weather the hits and assaults on the QB that Brady never had to, and win four Super Bowls.

We'll never know how long Brady would have lasted back then. We do know that under today's rules, where it's basically two hand touch on the QB, among his contemporaries, Brady is the best. He had a great year, and he's had a great career.
I know you’re not saying Bradshaw had a better career than Brady. Tom is the greatest to ever play, eras or no eras. He’s won 7 - SEVEN - titles. That’s almost double anyone else. We aren’t comparing two guys who both won 4. Both guys had legendary supporting casts too and the lax defensive rules helped Bradshaw win 4. Those Steel Curtain defenses were hugely important.
Don’t believe otherwise.

"If anything, the older era" would have made it harder for him to stay in one piece long enough to even get to his first Super Bowl". You can't compare eras. They're apples to oranges. Football was a different game back then.

Dude, come on. Bradshaw completed 51% of his passes and threw a crap ton of interceptions.

He played with the greatest defense in NFL history, and hall of fame WR’s, RB’s and linemen for his most of his career. The 70’s Steelers were probably the best collection of talent in NFL history. Tom never had a great running back, and probably has played with 2 HOF receivers in Moss (for like 2 years) and Gronk.

Brady is the GOAT and it’s not even close. He has played in several different offensive schemes, with a revolving cast of players, and has been nothing but consistently excellent for 20 years. Oh, and he may have 2 or 3 more years to go.

Reactions: AWS1022
I know you’re not saying Bradshaw had a better career than Brady. Tom is the greatest to ever play, eras or no eras. He’s won 7 - SEVEN - titles. That’s almost double anyone else. We aren’t comparing two guys who both won 4. Both guys had legendary supporting casts too and the lax defensive rules helped Bradshaw win 4. Those Steel Curtain defenses were hugely important.
Don’t believe otherwise.

"Lax defensive rules"?????? Are you nuts???? Those guys were literal head hunters back then. That sandwich hit on Mahomes today was perfectly legal and common in Bradshaw's era. Today's game is nothing but pitch and catch by comparison.

I have no idea where you're coming from on this one. You HAD to keep two backs in the backfield back then to make sure your QB didn't get killed. Playing with an empty backfield would have been suicide. Things like getting a penalty for a "Helmet to helmet" hit would have been unheard of. In fact, they would have laughed you back to the locker room and called you a pussy if you complained about someone making contact with you with their helmet.

I guarantee you if Brady played back then, at the very least he would have had a few less teeth and a few more scars on that pretty smooth face of his.

Reactions: BBrown
Gotta hand it to Tampa’s defense, didn’t let Hill beat them, controlled Kelce for the most part, and made Mahomes run for his life most of the night. No idea why KC didn’t change things up in the 2nd half to try and slow down the pass rush, instead kept with the deep routes that were low percentage all night long. Hate to see Brady win again, but really happy for Tampa to enjoy success for such a historically awful franchise.
Pass rush against makeshift KC Oline finally caught up with them...added to the turf toe limiting Mahomes escapability...and sprinkle in all the close calls breaking Tampa’s way...no tricky tack call ☎️ n Honey Badger int and you have a different ball game. That said, hats off to Tampa...won 3 games on road and then beat a very potent Chiefs team.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Dude, come on. Bradshaw completed 51% of his passes and threw a crap ton of interceptions.

He played with the greatest defense in NFL history, and hall of fame WR’s, RB’s and linemen for his most of his career. The 70’s Steelers were probably the best collection of talent in NFL history. Tom never had a great running back, and probably has played with 2 HOF receivers in Moss (for like 2 years) and Gronk.

Brady is the GOAT and it’s not even close. He has played in several different offensive schemes, with a revolving cast of players, and has been nothing but consistently excellent for 20 years. Oh, and he may have 2 or 3 more years to go.

Again, two completely different eras and two completely different games.

Bradshaw was the better athlete with the FAR better arm and the quicker release. He started out his first couple of years with a far worse team than Brady ever played on. If they played two hand touch back then like they do now, he could have worked from empty backfields, not had to worry nearly as much about having his head torn off or his legs broken, and had his receivers more open. Back then, if you threw to a receiver over the middle, the receiver was fair game, and you were coached to take him out. Now, guys pull up on the receivers before they make the tackles and the receivers don't have to worry about being killed.

As I said above. Brady is definitely the best QB among his contemporaries. But to try to compare eras, especially against a QB that was more athletically gifted, is impossible. Take away all of the new rules, and let teams come after Brady like they were allowed to come after Bradshaw and other QBs years ago, and I have a hunch Brady would have thrown a few more "crap ton of interceptions" too.

For as stupid as you may think Bradshaw was, he called all his own plays. The guy had football smarts.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUfiji

i have no idea if Bradshaw is a good example or not. Again, different eras.

But the league has Been diluted since the late 90s and into the past two decades. Miami, Jacksonville, Detroit, Cleveland, jets, Washington, bengals, raiders, Buffalo and on and on have been awful. Heck the afc east has been so bad that it was a guaranteed playoff birth every year for New England and usually a first round bye.

Brady had a ton of talent around him, don’t kid yourself. He wasn’t Michael Vick at Virginia tech. Cheap talent too as veterans took less money to come play there. New England usually traded their picks away to avoid the big rookie deals (which, to Tommy’s benefit once again flipped so the new rookie deals didn’t kill his cap for desperate veterans). There were some very good to elite defenses and a number of good lineman. Don’t forget gronk who is probably the best receiving threat of the past 20 years outside of moss, who also played with Brady for a bit.

During Tommy’s era Peyton redefined the QB position, Brees had a cannon, and Ben was a big horse. A few other guys made a splash now and then. I don’t find Brady’s talent to be better than those three on an individual level. But he certainly won more. Some of that is documented cheating, a little bit of luck via the tuck rule, some of that is he never really got hurt, some of that is the advantages he enjoyed as the game changed into a fantasy football paradise, some of that is due to the poor league competition issues stated above, and some of that is due to the mysterious fact that he appears to be a physical freak who doesn’t break down, like everyone else who ever played. Call it good training, huge amounts of money for elite eating and conditioning, steroids, hgh, genetic lottery, whatever, but I only ever saw one guy continue to dominate everyone else at the end of an advanced career like this, Barry Bonds. And Barry didn’t get hit by 300 pound guys for 20 years.

Last edited:

Manning is without a doubt better than Brady as was Elway and Montana. Brady is top ten but not the best.

Reactions: wentzel25
Game Ball Brady
O_jFAQ0oZqft72joLrPRlZ3kuQTEHfr9qIKSMgvm3h5RsbTS-PzUqwJ4d4juDG-992WbYbpw9uzyOspWWaQ-lhpW-KXiqaPGBG51wHjMzrwkVsmgPUkyxqDpbWu_SdvU

Brady will win 10.
Too smart, and knows the game.
The average DC cannot keep up.

Manning is without a doubt better than Brady as was Elway and Montana. Brady is top ten but not the best.
You either need to watch some more football or else get over your hatred of Brady. He's the best ever and it's really not even that close.

You either need to watch some more football or else get over your hatred of Brady. He's the best ever and it's really not even that close.

You are welcome to your opinion. Brady is the NFL's Cal Ripken. Consistently very good, occasionally great but not consistently great. That puts him in the top ten but not top five. Simply put, when the defense was down and the offense was needed to carry the day, they lost Super Bowls. Never mind the giant asterisk that is attached to just about every Super Bowl appearance he has says it all. The cheating was epic. The fact that the NFL frequently looks like the NBA doesn't help either.

Weak? Lol....can’t touch the qb today. The WRs can’t get touched after five yards. Iineman can go multiple yards down field on passing plays without penalty. The defense leads with its head and players get tossed. That’s a totally different game on offense.

None of that takes away from tommy, only his cheating record does. But I don’t compare people from different eras because it’s apples and oranges.
You consistently sound like a jealous, 12 year old boy in all of your posts. Grow up.

"If anything, the older era" would have made it harder for him to stay in one piece long enough to even get to his first Super Bowl. You can't compare eras. They're apples to oranges. Football was a different game back then.

Put the talent that Bradshaw had around him around Brady and he wins a SB every year. Multiple QB’s could have won with that defense, Swan, Stallworth, Harris, Blier and that OLine around them. You can’t accumulate talent like that anymore.

Another massively stupid post by you....I don’t know how you do it, but you just keep getting dumber in every post.

"Lax defensive rules"?????? Are you nuts???? Those guys were literal head hunters back then. That sandwich hit on Mahomes today was perfectly legal and common in Bradshaw's era. Today's game is nothing but pitch and catch by comparison.

I have no idea where you're coming from on this one. You HAD to keep two backs in the backfield back then to make sure your QB didn't get killed. Playing with an empty backfield would have been suicide. Things like getting a penalty for a "Helmet to helmet" hit would have been unheard of. In fact, they would have laughed you back to the locker room and called you a pussy if you complained about someone making contact with you with their helmet.

I guarantee you if Brady played back then, at the very least he would have had a few less teeth and a few more scars on that pretty smooth face of his.
You’re saying the rules nowadays help the QB and the offense....that means the rules back then helped the defense and the Steelers’ defense was the main reason why they won....change the rules to hurt the defense and Bradshaw doesn’t win as many SB’s.

Quarterback play had little to do with the outcome of that game. Put either QB with Tampa's D against the Oline of KC and it's still a rout. I wish paid officials would call games consistently. One week KC's D is sticky, playing great; the next PI and D holding all over the place. That's just inconsistent refs. Shame.

Reactions: rohrmd9

This is never valid to compare across generations. Bradshaw would not have had the skillset to succeed today just as equally as putting Brady back then. Regardless, Brady has been significantly more important to his teams than Bradshaw was, and this is coming from one that loathes sissy boy Brady.

You guys take the NFL too seriously.

Any sports organization that mandates success on the field as entry into a post season single elimination opportunity for a championship, as opposed to having a group of people sitting around a conference table in some hotel to decide who has an opportunity to win a championship - simply cannot be taken seriously.

It's fake sports news.

He should ask for a refund. ;)
Worst halftime show imaginable. What I saw was a no-talent Michael Jackson wannabe lip sync through a horrific performance amongst hundreds of fitness club refugees with adult diapers covering their faces. The Super Bowl halftime organizers could have chosen any performer in the world and they picked this loser! I would rather have seen a performance by a randomly chosen 6th grade chorus.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
The 4th round of the PGA tournament yesterday was a better watch than the football game last night with multiple story lines, drama and a dramatic finish with Koepka's great eagle on the 17th hole.

Reactions: Obliviax
You’re saying the rules nowadays help the QB and the offense....that means the rules back then helped the defense and the Steelers’ defense was the main reason why they won....change the rules to hurt the defense and Bradshaw doesn’t win as many SB’s.

Well now you're probably adding at least five years to Bradshaw's career, giving him more receivers to work with since he can run with an empty backfield, allowing him to scramble without the risk of being broken in half, and giving him a team with all those offensive weapons everyone keeps bragging about on steroids (in the figurative sense for this example).

Even under today's rules, that defense would have still been the best of its time. Everything is relative. Now we are right back where we started.

I have no arguement that Brady is the best of his contemporaries, and I would take him over either Manning in a heartbeat. But the deeper you get into history, where players of the past had to play under increasingly draconian rules, especially players with better skills and athletic ability than Brady, the comparisons become less and less obvious.

To use a baseball analogy, the drop dead BEST pitcher I've ever seen in person in my lifetime was Sandy Koufax. He just literally JUMPED out at you with how fast his fastball was, and how off the charts unbelievable his curveball was. I don't care what any jugs gun says ( I don't even think they used them back then). He was BY FAR the FASTEST I've ever seen. ESPECIALLY for a starting pitcher.

But yet most of you guys now might not even know who he was, let alone how off the charts Michael Jordanish he was for his time. He would EASILY be the best pitcher in baseball today if he was young and healthy. But since he played well over half a century ago, to most people now, it's like he never existed.

Reactions: LemonEars
Well now you're probably adding at least five years to Bradshaw's career, giving him more receivers to work with since he can run with an empty backfield, allowing him to scramble without the risk of being broken in half, and giving him a team with all those offensive weapons everyone keeps bragging about on steroids (in the figurative sense for this example).

Even under today's rules, that defense would have still been the best of its time. Everything is relative. Now we are right back where we started.

I have no arguement that Brady is the best of his contemporaries, and I would take him over either Manning in a heartbeat. But the deeper you get into history, where players of the past had to play under increasingly draconian rules, especially players with better skills and athletic ability than Brady, the comparisons become less and less obvious.

To use a baseball analogy, the drop dead BEST pitcher I've ever seen in person in my lifetime was Sandy Koufax. He just literally JUMPED out at you with how fast his fastball was, and how off the charts unbelievable his curveball was. I don't care what any jugs gun says ( I don't even think they used them back then). He was BY FAR the FASTEST I've ever seen. ESPECIALLY for a starting pitcher.

But yet most of you guys now might not even know who he was, let alone how off the charts Michael Jordanish he was for his time. He would EASILY be the best pitcher in baseball today if he was young and healthy. But since he played well over half a century ago, to most people now, it's like he never existed.
And I’ll bet there’s a bunch of guys today that throw harder than Koufax including guys in the minors. Better athletes, better coaching, better technique nowadays. When I played, your fast ball was your fast ball, it was pretty much what you were born with. These days through training and coaching they can add a lot of velocity onto your fastball. Athletes of each generation get better....bigger, stronger, faster.

Reactions: LionJim
Another massively stupid post by you....I don’t know how you do it, but you just keep getting dumber in every post.
Manning was a better QB; Brady had more team success. Rings are one of the worst ways to evaluate an individual in a team sport. Especially football, where there are 22 starters, not counting special teams.
Manning averaged a higher completion %, more yards and more TDs per season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Manning was a better QB; Brady had more team success. Rings are one of the worst ways to evaluate an individual in a team sport. Especially football, where there are 22 starters, not counting special teams.
Manning averaged a higher completion %, more yards and more TDs per season.
I agree it’s the worst way if we were talking one ring or even two....but when you’re at seven with two different teams, it goes beyond the team. I don’t see anyone else that has better physical skills than Brady getting to 10 SB’s and winning 7 of them. At some point people just have to accept the fact he’s the best that ever played.

And I’ll bet there’s a bunch of guys today that throw harder than Koufax including guys in the minors. Better athletes, better coaching, better technique nowadays. When I played, your fast ball was your fast ball, it was pretty much what you were born with. These days through training and coaching they can add a lot of velocity onto your fastball. Athletes of each generation get better....bigger, stronger, faster.
Hard to say how Koufax would compare to today's pitchers. Koufax's biography is an interesting read. He was an athletic freak. He had a basketball scholarship offer to the best program in the country at the time. He actually practiced with the Knicks when he was 16 years old. He had a tremendous vertical leap. Koufax didn't play baseball until he was a senior in high school and instantly attracted attention from pro scouts. A physiologist examined his muscle structure and it was unique. He had the perfect body to throw a baseball. We will never know for sure how good Koufax would be today but it is possible that he would be just dominant today as in the 1960s.

I agree it’s the worst way if we were talking one ring or even two....but when you’re at seven with two different teams, it goes beyond the team. I don’t see anyone else that has better physical skills than Brady getting to 10 SB’s and winning 7 of them. At some point people just have to accept the fact he’s the best that ever played.
Brady doesn't flash on the field. He doesn't have any great physical skills other than his ability get and throw the ball very quickly. But his off the field prep and player management is off the charts. If you look at that team, on offense, four trash heap guys made significant contributions that won that game: Cronk, Fortenette, and AB. (plus TB). HIs ability to attract players and get them to prepare and play the game is incredible. Pats used to do it to...every year they'd add some miscreant that came to NE to win a SB. Beyond that, he is incredibly prepared. He always makes the right decisions.

Tom Brady is the best QB to ever play this game. His presence raises everyone’s game on both sides of the ball. All week TV personalities were trying to compare Mahomes to Brady which was ridiculous.
How would Brady look behind the Chiefs OL? IMO switch QBs and the results are pretty much the same.

Reactions: wentzel25
Hard to say how Koufax would compare to today's pitchers. Koufax's biography is an interesting read. He was an athletic freak. He had a basketball scholarship offer to the best program in the country at the time. He actually practiced with the Knicks when he was 16 years old. He had a tremendous vertical leap. Koufax didn't play baseball until he was a senior in high school and instantly attracted attention from pro scouts. A physiologist examined his muscle structure and it was unique. He had the perfect body to throw a baseball. We will never know for sure how good Koufax would be today but it is possible that he would be just dominant today as in the 1960s.
Definitely possible and no doubt he was an all time great. But his athletic ability you described is pretty common in today’s athletes.

How would Brady look behind the Chiefs OL? IMO switch QBs and the results are pretty much the same.
Good point. Mahomes never had a chance. The Chief's OL didn't seem that bad against Buffalo. It was horrific last night. I wonder what was the difference. Is the Tampa Bay defensive line that good? I kept watching Stefen Wisniewski. As best I could tell he did do a bad job. The Chief's tackles were the weak point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT