ADVERTISEMENT

Someone needs to stand up for these frat kids in hot water

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
First of all let me preface by offering my condolences to the Piazza family. It's an absolute tragedy (im sure emotions are high right now), but how in the world can the state DA and the school throw these kids under the bus like this?

The administration was quoted weeks before lauding Greek life on campus and now this? I'm sorry, but a kid getting drunk and falling down the stairs is a tragedy not a crime. Negligence? Can you really assume a bunch of drunk college kids are going to make the right call in that situation? Nope... the administration did not have safe guards in place to prevent this kind of tragedy and should be just as culpable as the kids.

That being said why do we always have to play the blame game for tragic events? At the end of the day the kid made a choice to get shit faced drunk. It's the same choice millions of college kids make each day. When you do that you run the risk of bad things happening. This wasn't a child who was forced to drink against his will. It was a legal adult who made the choice to get sloshed.

Reactions: kevina001
while i usually agree with waiting before making any statements, in this case based on everything ive read and seen, the kids were beyond negligent/stupid. When you have pledges, who like it or not, are now under your care, drinking dangerous levels of alcohol, you better be damned well sure they are not going to get seriously injured/die. And to do this all in front of security cameras adds a whole other level of dumb behavior. Have a sober brother, watch the kid, put him in a room so he cant fall again. simple things could ahve been odne to prevent this.

while i usually agree with waiting before making any statements, in this case based on everything ive read and seen, the kids were beyond negligent/stupid. When you have pledges, who like it or not, are now under your care, drinking dangerous levels of alcohol, you better be damned well sure they are not going to get seriously injured/die. And to do this all in front of security cameras adds a whole other level of dumb behavior. Have a sober brother, watch the kid, put him in a room so he cant fall again. simple things could ahve been odne to prevent this.

I agree with you, but I just dont see how they broke the law. They didn't tie this kid up and force him to drink. They didn't get drunk and throw him down the stairs. Where is the involuntary manslaughter charge coming from?

Reactions: kevina001
First of all let me preface by offering my condolences to the Piazza family. It's an absolute tragedy (im sure emotions are high right now), but how in the world can the state DA and the school throw these kids under the bus like this?

The administration was quoted weeks before lauding Greek life on campus and now this? I'm sorry, but a kid getting drunk and falling down the stairs is a tragedy not a crime. Negligence? Can you really assume a bunch of drunk college kids are going to make the right call in that situation? Nope... the administration did not have safe guards in place to prevent this kind of tragedy and should be just as culpable as the kids.

That being said why do we always have to play the blame game for tragic events? At the end of the day the kid made a choice to get shit faced drunk. It's the same choice millions of college kids make each day. When you do that you run the risk of bad things happening. This wasn't a child who was forced to drink against his will. It was a legal adult who made the choice to get sloshed.

Not sure how much you read about the case but it was worse than what you described. The kid was forced to drink dangerous levels of alcohol as part of a hazing ritual. After he fell the brothers ignored the severity of his injuries and actually compounded them by their rough treatment of him. Due to their inaction he fell multiple times throughout the night and then fell down the stairs a second time in the morning. When he was found after the second fall down the steps and was near they still waited 45 minutes to call 911 while they tried to figure how to coverup the whole fiasco.

According to guidelines put in place by both the national fraternity and Penn State this house was supposed to be dry and have a zero tolerance policy for hazing. I really feel that the university administration is in a tough position here. How far can they go to enforce policies in independent organizations if the members collude to cover up their violation of said policies. Are they going to need to have unannounced inspections? In the aftermath of Tim Piazza's death the university announced new restrictions on Greek organizations. At the time many posters on this board ridiculed the new restrictions as draconian, big brother interference and an overreaction. At this point the university may not be able to continue to take on the liability of fraternities. It is shame that a minority of "bad apples" ruin things for everyone but it has come to that.

Sorry, but I will not "stand up for these frat kids". They can stand up for themselves, in a court of law. A young man died. There is sufficient evidence to charge them. Let the justice system decide their guilt or innocence.

Just overall stupid people doing stupid things. Should they be held accountable ? I wonder ? We seem to think "drinking to excess" is ONLY fun. Thank GOD we will soon have genetic engineering :)

The frat "kids" (more like "young men", they are all 18 or above) will get their day in court. As is their constitutional right, they can then stand up for themselves (and defend their various actions/inactions on that day in February) before a jury of their peers.

In the meantime --- while I do believe that they should not be judged as guilty before their day in court --- I'm not interested in standing up for them.

Back during my high school days in suburban Detroit, one of my high school classmates killed another of my classmates in a fight after a school dance. He didn't necessarily mean to kill him when he delivered one final kick to the head --- but that was the fatal blow. Huge story, was big news in the Detroit media for a whole year. I was friends with the accused (charged with second-degree murder) before that - and I still did keep a relationship with him in the time that led to his trial. But ultimately HE had to stand up for himself and explain his actions and be accountable for his actions on that night. That was NOT my job. That was nobody's job but his own. He did ultimately go to jail for several years, he's out now and he's fully turned around his life. I'm very happy for that. That event was, to say the least, a major event in my friend's life. He was --- correctly --- held accountable for it. But he's also now a contributor to our greater society.

These fraternity young men are in the exact same position my friend was many years ago .........

Last edited:
I do not understand how they had alcohol if they were supposed to be dry. Who is the president of the fraternity and how did he and other leadership members allow this to happen. What is he saying at this point.

The frat "kids" (more like "young men", they are all 18 or above) will get their day in court. As is their constitutional right, they can then stand up for themselves (and defend their various actions/inactions on that day in February) before a jury of their peers.

In the meantime --- while I do believe that they should not be judged as guilty before their day in court --- I'm not interested in standing up for them.

Back during my high school days in suburban Detroit, one of my high school classmates killed another of my classmates in a fight after a school dance. He didn't necessarily mean to kill him when he delivered one final kick to the head --- but that was the fatal blow. Huge story, was big news in the Detroit media for a whole year. I was friends with the accused (charged with second-degree murder) before that - and I still did keep a relationship with him in the time that led to his trial. But ultimately HE had to stand up for himself and explain his actions and be accountable for his actions on that night. That was NOT my job. That was nobody's job but his own. He did ultimately go to jail for several years, he's out now and he's fully turned around his life. I'm very happy for that. That event was, to say the least, a major event in my friend's life. He was --- correctly --- held accountable for it. But he's also now a contributor to our greater society.

These fraternity young men are in the exact same position my friend was many years ago .........
You know Nick Delgreco?

You know Nick Delgreco?

There were multiple folk charged and convicted - but yes, that's the case.

RIP Alex. I knew him too - still not forgotten. Had a promising life ahead. World's poorer today for him not getting to be a part of it.

I agree with you, but I just dont see how they broke the law. They didn't tie this kid up and force him to drink. They didn't get drunk and throw him down the stairs. Where is the involuntary manslaughter charge coming from?
They furnished alcohol to a minor. That's a crime in every state. Then when he OD'd on the alcohol they urged him to drink, they watched him slowly die without helping him.

Your post reads to me as if standing up for means bailing out. In my opinion, if someone had made just one of these kids face the consequences of their actions earlier in their lives instead of bailing them out, a life might have been saved and many others not wasted.

Thank you for sharing that.

I am having a hard time understanding the conduct of these young men, especially with all the drug & alcohol awareness they've been exposed to in their school years - starting at 5th grade in our area with DARE - right up through Senior Prom.

And to blatantly violate established house policy, and doing so KNOWING the place has video surveillance. There is even more of a disconnect to document it on Snapchat. That total disconnect veers the conduct by these young men off into another realm. There is no excusing any of that.

It is interesting to compare our society now to say 40 years ago. First the concept of personal responsibility is gone. If something bad happens, a person or group to blame must be found and punished. Second the idea that something could have been an accident is gone. Nothing is an accident. Every event must have a malicious cause.

Our society has changed a lot in the last 40 years, and I'm not sure it's for the better.

I do not understand how they had alcohol if they were supposed to be dry. Who is the president of the fraternity and how did he and other leadership members allow this to happen. What is he saying at this point.
The leadership bought the alcohol and coordinated the event. Proof being in the text messages leading up to the event.

§ 2504. Involuntary manslaughter.
A person is guilty of involuntary manslaughter when as a direct result of the doing of an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes the death of another person.

§ 5352
Definitions : The following words and phrases when used in this act shall have the meanings given to them in this section unless the context clearly indicates otherwise: "HAZING." Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student or which willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, any organization operating under the sanction of or recognized as an organization by an institution of higher education. The term shall include, but not be limited to, any brutality of a physical nature, such as whipping, beating, branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the elements, forced consumption of any food, liquor, drug or other substance, or any other forced physical activity which could adversely affect the physical health and safety of the individual, and shall include any activity which would subject the individual to extreme mental stress, such as sleep deprivation, forced exclusion from social contact, forced conduct which could result in extreme embarrassment, or any other forced activity which could adversely affect the mental health or dignity of the individual, or any willful destruction or removal of public or private property. For purposes of this definition, any activity as described in this definition upon which the initiation or admission into or affiliation with or continued membership in an organization is directly or indirectly conditioned shall be presumed to be "forced" activity, the willingness of an individual to participate in such activity notwithstanding.

§ 5353. Hazing prohibited
Any person who causes or participates in hazing commits a misdemeanor of the third degree.

§ 6310.1. Selling or furnishing liquor or malt or brewed beverages to minors.
(a) Offense defined.--
Except as provided in subsection (b), a person commits a misdemeanor of the third degree if he intentionally and knowingly sells or intentionally and knowingly furnishes, or purchases with the intent to sell or furnish, any liquor or malt or brewed beverages to a person who is less than 21 years of age.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of this section shall not apply to any religious service or ceremony which may be conducted in a private home or a place of worship where the amount of wine served does not exceed the amount reasonably, customarily and traditionally required as an integral part of the service or ceremony.

Manslaughter charge requires a death as a result of an unlawful act. The providing of the alcohol and having him drink the gauntlet are both unlawful and reckless acts as cleared defined by the statutes in PA. I don't know how any one can say those acts were both reckless and contributed to he death. Intent is not requirement for involuntary manslaughter so being a accident is not a defense. How do you figure it doesn't meet the definition of manslaughter?

Reactions: no1lion99
I believe by reading the posts of many, its been a few years since many of you have been in college. As a recent Penn State grad (class of 2015), I can guarantee there are MANY decisions made like this every night across almost all major college campuses.

You will see at parties all the time a drunk girl/guy falling over and passing out stupid drunk and then their friends carrying them some place to lay down and sleep it off. Just like in this story, most college kids will try to lay the drunk student on their side and probably put a trashcan next to them for if they throw up. 99.9% of the time, the sun rises the next morning, the student takes some advil and moves on with their day. From reading through the story many times and how the events took place, it sounds just like an event that may take place at the hundreds of other parties going down on the campus.

I agree, it is unfortunate of the ending, but this really could be anyones sons or daughters with how common things like this happen at college parties.

I believe by reading the posts of many, its been a few years since many of you have been in college. As a recent Penn State grad (class of 2015), I can guarantee there are MANY decisions made like this every night across almost all major college campuses.

You will see at parties all the time a drunk girl/guy falling over and passing out stupid drunk and then their friends carrying them some place to lay down and sleep it off. Just like in this story, most college kids will try to lay the drunk student on their side and probably put a trashcan next to them for if they throw up. 99.9% of the time, the sun rises the next morning, the student takes some advil and moves on with their day. From reading through the story many times and how the events took place, it sounds just like an event that may take place at the hundreds of other parties going down on the campus.

I agree, it is unfortunate of the ending, but this really could be anyones sons or daughters with how common things like this happen at college parties.
Yes, well said. At the same time, I can tell you that during my day (mid-seventies) I drank next to no hard liquor. It was exclusively pot and beer. I'm guessing it's different now.

Every night people drive drunk. Does that mean that if a drunk driver kills someone they shouldn't face the consequences? If you choose to break the law you also have to deal with the reality that there may be consequences.

Last edited:

I agree about the "blame game" in general. I think the issue isn't that Piazza drank too much and fell down the steps, however, but rather that the frat apparently chose not to call for an ambulance when there were indications that Piazza was seriously injured. Being drunk is not a reasonable excuse for negligence. I'm not a legal expert and don't know what qualifies for manslaughter, and maybe there is a lesser offense that would more appropriately reflect the negligence as opposed to the manslaughter charge, but I don't see these frat boys as innocent in the tragic event.

Reactions: psu1969a

Yes, we understand this behavior is common.

That's part of the reason it's a big deal - not a reason for it not to be a big deal.

That's why it should be dealt with seriously - not a reason to deal with it lightly.

It is interesting to compare our society now to say 40 years ago. First the concept of personal responsibility is gone. If something bad happens, a person or group to blame must be found and punished. Second the idea that something could have been an accident is gone. Nothing is an accident. Every event must have a malicious cause.

Our society has changed a lot in the last 40 years, and I'm not sure it's for the better.

After reading the transcript I don't think anything about this tragedy was an accident, maybe the falling down the stairs but thats it. The rest, while maybe not
malicious, was certainly reprehensible. Actually the brother that punched him in the abdomen might be malicious.

That's part of the reason it's a big deal - not a reason for it not to be a big deal.

That's why it should be dealt with seriously - not a reason to deal with it lightly.
This also does not have anything in common with the typical too much to drink case that everyone knows about.

Kid was hurt. Bad. At least one person TOLD these lititle jerkoffs he was hurt, and he got shoved into a wall, if what we are told is true.

We can't rely on the GJP, but that does not mean we assume its opposite is true.

I agree about the "blame game" in general. I think the issue isn't that Piazza drank too much and fell down the steps, however, but rather that the frat apparently chose not to call for an ambulance when there were indications that Piazza was seriously injured. Being drunk is not a reasonable excuse for negligence. I'm not a legal expert and don't know what qualifies for manslaughter, and maybe there is a lesser offense that would more appropriately reflect the negligence as opposed to the manslaughter charge, but I don't see these frat boys as innocent in the tragic event.
I'm a little confused by a note in these threads that complains about the blame game and promotes personal responsibility. Seems to me one way you promote personal responsibility is through assigning blame through a fair process to those who deserve it.
Not being critical of the post I responded to.

This wasn't a child who was forced to drink against his will. It was a legal adult who made the choice to get sloshed.

Pledges are told to keep drinking or they will lose their spot in the fraternity. "All my hard work down the drain? I guess I will keep drinking." This does not seem like much of a "choice" to me. More like blackmail.

Reactions: harbest

yeah....unfortunately, the best way to handle this is to make an example of that house. Others will see and use more caution/sense. I hate that so many kids are going to have their lives ruined, I am hopeful it comes down to a handful of instigators and the bystanders don't suffer too much. But frat leadership needs to go down hard. This is one time when I agree with Barron.

fokkerdririchthofenthij.jpg

I'm a little confused by a note in these threads that complains about the blame game and promotes personal responsibility. Seems to me one way you promote personal responsibility is through assigning blame through a fair process to those who deserve it.
Not being critical of the post I responded to.
Exactly. If you extend that argument out, many people would go free that ordinary law-abiding Americans might have a problem with being out on the streets

Do they often see them twitching after their fall/stumble consists of a tumble down 15 stairs? Does that happen often today?

There is one big difference...a kid died.

After reading the transcript I don't think anything about this tragedy was an accident, maybe the falling down the stairs but thats it. The rest, while maybe not
malicious, was certainly reprehensible. Actually the brother that punched him in the abdomen might be malicious.

Of course it was an accident. If he wouldn't have fallen down the stairs he would have been fine the next day. Do you think the frat brothers gave him booze on purpose to kill him? Do you think that was their intent? I don't. As stated over and over again in this thread thousands of underage kids drink alcohol in excess every day. This makes them more at risk of fatal accidents. Most of the time the accidents don't happen. Sometimes they do. This whole incident was an unfortunate accident. However, in today's society, a group of kids who happened to be there at the time will have their lives ruined in retribution for what happened. Also, I'm sure the parents will get a scum bag lawyer who will sue the university for millions of dollars. The bill will be picked up by the Pennsylvania taxpayers of course.

Reactions: humpydudas19
Every night people drive drunk. Does that mean that if a drunk driver kills someone they shouldn't face the consequences? If you choose to break the law you also have to deal with the reality that there may be consequences.

As far as I know, no one held Timothy down and poured liquor and beer down his throat...

Reactions: humpydudas19
You see every year drunk students falling off State College balconies (As well as hundreds of other campuses across the country)...should all those at the parties who helped partake in binge drinking games be charged as well?

I agree with a lot of your points in general, but in this case from what I've read about..

This was a hazing event, and while the kid made the choice to rush the frat the brothers were in control of the hazing event and his is what you have to do, therefore they have some responsibility for providing a safe atmosphere, so their pledges may get sick/embarrassed but not injured or die!

Then to do all of it in front of camera and have it recorded and 1 brother stating we should call 911 for help to be overruled makes it far worse IMO.

I don't know if all should have been charged, but the brothers in charge of the operation should definitely face consequences.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Of course it was an accident. If he wouldn't have fallen down the stairs he would have been fine the next day. Do you think the frat brothers gave him booze on purpose to kill him? Do you think that was their intent? I don't. As stated over and over again in this thread thousands of underage kids drink alcohol in excess every day. This makes them more at risk of fatal accidents. Most of the time the accidents don't happen. Sometimes they do. This whole incident was an unfortunate accident. However, in today's society, a group of kids who happened to be there at the time will have their lives ruined in retribution for what happened. Also, I'm sure the parents will get a scum bag lawyer who will sue the university for millions of dollars. The bill will be picked up by the Pennsylvania taxpayers of course.
Weeeeelll, he did drink what an expert will say was a fatal amount of alcohol, so it just might have killed him even had he not been injured.

Is joining a frat that important to take a chance with your life? He could have said go eff yourselves and moved along. Instead, he was weak minded and made the choice to indulge in risky behavior. He even acknowledged it in texts.

The text chain is what is going to make it hard on the frat. It's on the Collegian, and they actively sought to hide what had happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT