ADVERTISEMENT

So how good can this team be?

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
They have one OT win over a good, tough, well coached team and one blowout win over a patsy. I saw no quit in them in the tough game, and no loss of focus in the easy one. Lots of freshmen getting some playing time, and the veterans are playing well.

We have some tough games ahead, but I think this group will be ready. I like our chances to have a really solid record, and if we can get past tOSU, maybe more.

Reactions: psu skp
Realistically, I think we will struggle mightily with OSU. Michigan will play us tough, regardless of where their team is at the time. Friday night scares me, even if it is Illinois. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we lose 2 or 3.

Reactions: BBrown
They have one OT win over a good, tough, well coached team and one blowout win over a patsy. I saw no quit in them in the tough game, and no loss of focus in the easy one. Lots of freshmen getting some playing time, and the veterans are playing well.

We have some tough games ahead, but I think this group will be ready. I like our chances to have a really solid record, and if we can get past tOSU, maybe more.

I’d agree with most probably.

8-4- disappointing
9-3 - probably about right
10-2 - slightly above expectation
10+- outstanding

Reactions: MattTX
I don't know if this team could hang with Ohio State. I think they have a chance in all of the other games..

Offense doesn't seem to be quite in sync quite yet. I think they could gel in the next two weeks. Defense looks porous at times but the DB's seem to be the strength. All you can hope for is a steady development and improvement moving into the B10 schedule.

I don't know if this team could hang with Ohio State. I think they have a chance in all of the other games..
On paper, I agree with that. One thing I try not to lose sight of is luck- nobody ever goes undefeated without some breaks, and sometimes good teams catch bad breaks. That said, I'm looking at a pretty good season here, and I'm not discounting the possibility of a great one

Based on what we've seen so far I don't like our chances against either OSU or Wisconsin. Michigan will be tough at their place. MSU might not be as good as we thought but Maryland might be tough.

2-0

Kent 95%
@ Ill 85%
OSU 20%
MSU 70%
@ Indy 80%
Iowa 70%
@ Mich 40%
Wisc 45%
@ Rut 80%
MD 75%

Looks like 8 or 9 wins. I'll stick with 9. The good news is that some of our younger players will have much more experience by the time we get to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Maryland. Hopefully no new injuries and Reid, Simmons, Stevens are 100%. Shelton, Ellison, and Hansard might improve at DT. Parsons might be better at LB but I don't expect much more from Brown or Farmer.

Based on what we've seen so far I don't like our chances against either OSU or Wisconsin. Michigan will be tough at their place. MSU might not be as good as we thought but Maryland might be tough.

2-0

Kent 95%
@ Ill 85%
OSU 20%
MSU 70%
@ Indy 80%
Iowa 70%
@ Mich 40%
Wisc 45%
@ Rut 80%
MD 75%

Looks like 8 or 9 wins. I'll stick with 9. The good news is that some of our younger players will have much more experience by the time we get to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Maryland. Hopefully no new injuries and Reid, Simmons, Stevens are 100%. Shelton, Ellison, and Hansard might improve at DT. Parsons might be better at LB but I don't expect much more from Brown or Farmer.

You give Rutgers the same chance of beating PSU as PSU beating Ohio State? That’s ridiculous.

PSU/OSU point spread will probably be under a TD but PSU will be favored by at least 3 touchdowns against Rutgers.

Reactions: 94LionsFan
I see 9-3. They will lose to OSU and Michigan, and then throw in a loss to MSU, Wisky, or Maryland. With a lot of luck 11-1. There is no way this team can beat OSU in game 5. If it were game 10, maybe.

You give Rutgers the same chance of beating PSU as PSU beating Ohio State? That’s ridiculous.

PSU/OSU point spread will probably be under a TD but PSU will be favored by at least 3 touchdowns against Rutgers.
Huh? An 80% chance of beating Rutgers and a 20% chance of beating OSU. How is that the same?

OSU looks tough, but in all reality they still haven't played a team with a pulse yet. PSU will be an underdog in that game, but did anyone really believe Rutgers and Oregon State would challenge OSU?

Reactions: johnmpsu
A couple of things. First, before the season, I was annoyed at the Friday night game because it feels like a trap, but PSU is supremely talented and it shows. When you have a short week to practice, the more talented team will win because there's less game plan to rely on.

Second, if the team can keep improving by leaps and bounds and put together a complete game by week 5, that matchup with OSU will be very interesting. Anything can happen in that matchup in a whiteout.

This team is not as bad as they looked in the 4th qtr if App State or as good as they looked in 4th qtr against Pitt.
I think we’ll see both throughout the season...that’s what happens when a majority of your playmakers are young and inexperienced.

Reactions: psuro
Let's withhold judgement on OSU for another 7 days. They play TCU in the 8 pm slot this coming week. While their competition has stunk, they have steamrolled them. Will be interesting to see if TCU can slow down Haskins and company while moving the ball themselves.

He's saying that Rutgers has the same chance at beating PSU (20%) as PSU does to beat the Bucks.

I don't think my projection is ridiculous. I think we have an 80% chance of beating Rutgers on the road. I'd make it 90% if we were playing at home.

A 20% chance of beating OSU might be low, especially since it's a home whiteout game. OK, make it 30%. The point is that PSU lacks depth at DT and is suspect at LB. I'd like our chances more if the game was played later in the year but I just don't see enough improvement by September 29th. OSU is very strong at the LOS and Haskins looks like the real deal at QB. I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it at the moment.

Wow, oh ye of little faith. Home vs Ohio St and Wisky, plus a whiteout game and a fresh new QB for OSU. Remember they have to stop us too. Some posters are chicken littles, and yeah you’ll respond with “that is my opinion” and get offended if someone does not agree with you. I call BS. What have you been watching the past few years? Do you think last night’s result was by chance or what we learned from MSU (weather) & OSU (step on their necks) last year? This team can only go upwards with the talent we have. We should worry some teams out there and not worry ourselves. It’s Saul Goodman!

Wow, oh ye of little faith. Home vs Ohio St and Wisky, plus a whiteout game and a fresh new QB for OSU. Remember they have to stop us too. Some posters are chicken littles, and yeah you’ll respond with “that is my opinion” and get offended if someone does not agree with you. I call BS. What have you been watching the past few years? Do you think last night’s result was by chance or what we learned from MSU (weather) & OSU (step on their necks) last year? This team can only go upwards with the talent we have. We should worry some teams out there and not worry ourselves. It’s Saul Goodman!
Agree dude, a lot of real upside to this team. I don’t get the automatic 3 losses. Offensive line alone looks to be a significant improvement, can be the decisive factor in B1G games.

I think 9 - 3 is realistic. Some good luck could produce 10 - 2 or even 11 - 1. Don't forget. This is a major rebuilding year on defense. Next year's team should be awesome. The only player of note that we lose is Trace and Stevens is waiting in the wings. The whole offensive line is back. Next year a playoff birth should be the expectation. Based on recruiting, the year after next could be a great year too.

Obviously MUCH better in the 2nd half but if they don't tighten up the D vs. runs btw the tackles, Wisky may run for 500 yards against it.

As far as the LB's and Safeties will take them. They are still the 2 areas I"m most concerned with. But I thought the Safeties seemed to play better this week than last. So thats good.
getting Givens back to the DL was a huge help. Hopefully we can let Simmons rest until the Illinois game and then let him blow off some rust.
Koa either needs to figure it out or move him back to the other side and let Parsons play.

2-0

Kent 95%
@ Ill 85%
OSU 20%
MSU 70%
@ Indy 80%
Iowa 70%
@ Mich 40%
Wisc 45%
@ Rut 80%
MD 75%

So you really think PSU is the same to OSU, as Rutgers are to PSU??? Huh ???

I know it's fun to to try to pick outcomes, but predicting the outcome of a game 9 weeks away (vs. Wisky) is a fool's errand. This team is not going to look anything like it does now in 9 weeks. So many new players will get valuable playing time before then that it's nearly impossible to predict how they're going to develop. With the level of coaching we've seen over the past 4 years and the type of athlete we've recruited, I'm really excited to see what this team can become this year.

I see 9-3. They will lose to OSU and Michigan, and then throw in a loss to MSU, Wisky, or Maryland. With a lot of luck 11-1. There is no way this team can beat OSU in game 5. If it were game 10, maybe.
PSU is not losing to OSU at Beaver Stadium. Haskins while dynamic can be vulnerable. Defense needs to continue to gel and the receivers need to catch their balls. We're winning.

They have Kent state that’s all I need to know right now

I know it's fun to to try to pick outcomes, but predicting the outcome of a game 9 weeks away (vs. Wisky) is a fool's errand. This team is not going to look anything like it does now in 9 weeks. So many new players will get valuable playing time before then that it's nearly impossible to predict how they're going to develop. With the level of coaching we've seen over the past 4 years and the type of athlete we've recruited, I'm really excited to see what this team can become this year.

Injuries. Do we stay healthy or do we lose any key players?

Let me fix this for you:

Kent 99.9%
@ Ill 93%
OSU 50%
MSU 80%
@ Indy 85%
Iowa 85%
@ Mich 60%
Wisc 50%
@ Rut 99.9%
MD 85%

Injuries. Do we stay healthy or do we lose any key players?

Injuries are pure speculation. No way to know if or when they might happen. But it's not speculation to suggest that coaches with a proven track record will develop quality athletes such that the team that played last night won't look like the team that plays Wisky on November 10.

No one can guess how a team projects in game 2, especially with a lot of young talent. Think about 2016 after the Minnesota game. Would anyone predict they would win the big 10 title? This team is better than that team at the same point in the season

I think this team has a high ceiling and these next few games will be huge in developing it in time for sept 29th

Look like an 8-4 team at best to me......

Who are the 4?

OSU - I can get anybody picking them.

Wisconsin - I can understand this, even if I don't agree.

MSU - Lewerke gives many here PTSD, but they are far from world beaters.

Michigan - because it's on the road? Because they owned us from '97 to '08? Because Pitt wasn't destroyed in the first half?

???? - somebody else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT