ADVERTISEMENT

How good is WVU?

summitlion1

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2008
OK Lando, according to Sagarin, WVU is ranked 35th and beat # 25 TT and # 31 TCU, and has the 9th hardest strength of schedule and 4-1. Are they still a horrible team? Remember, no one called it a win over a very good team, but some said it was a win over a decent team.

Reactions: psu1969a
OK Lando, according to Sagarin, WVU is ranked 35th and beat # 25 TT and # 31 TCU, and has the 9th hardest strength of schedule and 4-1. Are they still a horrible team? Remember, no one called it a win over a very good team, but some said it was a win over a decent team.

it's a decent game to schedule, and that's all it is. It was not a super opponent, but to equate it with Vanderbilt is just totally off.

Yes, they're still a bad team. TCU gave a game away and they're 3-3 losing to a Iowa State this week and a Colorado team that most here think is trash. Texas Tech also lost to Wyoming.

It's no different than beating any other bottom tier Big XII/ACC team.

And, again, see Syracuse who was actually ranked at 6-0 last year as I kept telling people they were awful as people were dismissing Purdue's loss to them. They lost out after that. West Virginia is in a very weak conference and they beat some teams in that conference.

Also, if Saragin has TTU and TCU that high we should be ignoring them.

West Virginia is a BAD team. But let 4-1 fool you if you want.

Last edited:

Sagarin updates on Mondays. And I believe most computer power rankings still include a bit of 2022's results. Sagarin has WV ranked right next to Mizzou and Iowa. So good, but not great.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Yes, they're still a bad team. TCU gave a game away and they're 3-3 losing to a Iowa State this week and a Colorado team that most here think is trash. Texas Tech also lost to Wyoming.

It's no different than beating any other bottom tier Big XII/ACC team.

And, again, see Syracuse who was actually ranked at 6-0 last year as I kept telling people they were awful as people were dismissing Purdue's loss to them. They lost out after that. West Virginia is in a very weak conference and they beat some teams in that conference.

Also, if Saragin has TTU and TCU that high we should be ignoring them.

West Virginia is a BAD team. But let 4-1 fool you if you want.
I'm not part of this argument but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. WVU is not a bad team.....just an average team. UMASS, Delaware, Temple, VMI, Akron, Citadel, Western Kentucky, Youngstown State, etc are BAD teams.

I guess you consider anyone outside the top 25 BAD teams.

I'm not part of this argument but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. WVU is not a bad team.....just an average team. UMASS, Delaware, Temple, VMI, Akron, Citadel, Western Kentucky, Youngstown State, etc are BAD teams.

No, he considers MD a "quality" win, but they have beaten absolutely no one. BTW, WVU garnered more voting points than MD in AP Poll and just 2 places behind in Coaches Poll. Iowa is in front of MD in Coaches Poll. Iowa and MD are easily as good a win as MD at this point of the season.

He is incapable of considering anything rational. Why keep baiting him with reasoned posts. He is a Bot. A tool-bot a jerk-bot or a dick-bot or all of the above? You make the call.

But, the OP calling on Lando to post? Well....He is now the lead candidate for the dumb-bot of 2023 award.

I wouldn't say they have to be ranked but they have to be a team that is likely to be in contention to be ranked and a team capable of upsetting a top 15 team. WVU isn't that nor is Iowa. Neither have an offense capable of doing so. They're subpar teams that may be able to beat other bad teams. Remember WVU has beat Pitt who may be the worst P5 in the land, Duquesne, then 3-3 TTU and TCU that are both worse than anyone expected. They won close games against all 3 (excluding Duquesne). If we played WVU 10 times not once would they be within 3 scores. That's not a good team. That's a bad team.

I don't understand why everyone is so determined to believe WVU is a good team. It doesn't make sense. The majority of us accept that, like Michigan, we have a two game season and if we lose to anyone else we flopped. That's okay. We're doing what great/elite teams do. We're beating those that we should beat...easily. Every game has been comfortable unlike, day USC, who isn't a great team....at least not yet.

I have seen the label “solid” used when describing a team or person as doing ok but not very good. solid may apply here.

They suffered several injuries in the TCU game which could impact the rest of their season. However, when you look at their remaining games, they definitely have the potential of winning 8 or even 9 games, so take that whichever way you want it. Regardless, they do have good lines. Also, they already have beaten Pitt, TT and TCU, so they obviously match up well against average or below average Power 5 teams. Also, I thought that they played fairly well in their only loss to an undefeated team on the road at night.

Lando > Sagarin - I don’t think so - just someone clueless who just thinks he’s the smartest guy In the room - we all have one know it all friend who is really a dolt who when wrong which is always keeps digging.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Lando > Sagarin - I don’t think so - just someone clueless who just thinks he’s the smartest guy In the room - we all have one know it all friend who is really a dolt who when wrong which is always keeps digging.
When wrong I admit it. I said they wouldn't win 8. They still haven't nor do I think they will. I'm not sure they win 6. See Syracuse last year.

I was warning people about WVU's inside run game with a very capable 240 lb RB and an all-American center. Few teams are set up to stop this kind of ground attack, especially B12. Also, their QB (Greene) missed two games. So their QB play will improve.

I don't know where they end up but it won't be in last place as the media predicted pre-season.

I was warning people about WVU's inside run game with a very capable 240 lb RB and an all-American center. Few teams are set up to stop this kind of ground attack, especially B12. Also, their QB (Greene) missed two games. So their QB play will improve.

I don't know where they end up but it won't be in last place as the media predicted pre-season.
I still maintain they're better without Greene.

If you rack and stack them with the rest of the P5 teams, they're going to be around the middle of the pack. If you throw in the rest of the FBS teams, they're a bit above that. I wouldn't call them a good team because there are too many teams that would probably beat them. Conversely, I wouldn't call them bad them bad because there are too many teams that have shown much less. Terms like "mediocre" and "average" are some of the most misused in sports discussions, so I hesitate to use them. People make up their own definitions for the terms, ones that bear no resemblance to standard definitions, and toss them around as one and only acceptable standard. In this case, using the standard definitions used by intelligent adults, I think that's close to a fair assessment of WVU.

Last edited:
They still haven't nor do I think they will. I'm not sure they win 6.

So between Houston, Oklahoma State, UCF, Baylor, Cincinnati, and BYU, you don't see 2 possible wins? TCU and Texas Tech were supposed to be top 4 teams in the Big 12. Granted, they aren't, but how does beating the favorites not instill some "eh, maybe they aren't awful"?

Believe it or not, WVU is now favored in every game remaining except 1: road game at UCF (I've left out Oklahoma in all of this because I don't think they have a shot in hell).

At the end of the day, I think they have drawn an incredibly favorable schedule in conference. No Texas, no Kansas, no KState. However, they are exceeding expectations from the preseason.

So between Houston, Oklahoma State, UCF, Baylor, Cincinnati, and BYU, you don't see 2 possible wins? TCU and Texas Tech were supposed to be top 4 teams in the Big 12. Granted, they aren't, but how does beating the favorites not instill some "eh, maybe they aren't awful"?

Believe it or not, WVU is now favored in every game remaining except 1: road game at UCF (I've left out Oklahoma in all of this because I don't think they have a shot in hell).

At the end of the day, I think they have drawn an incredibly favorable schedule in conference. No Texas, no Kansas, no KState. However, they are exceeding expectations from the preseason.
Based on how UCF has played lately, I could see WVU beating them.

They suffered several injuries in the TCU game which could impact the rest of their season. However, when you look at their remaining games, they definitely have the potential of winning 8 or even 9 games, so take that whichever way you want it. Regardless, they do have good lines. Also, they already have beaten Pitt, TT and TCU, so they obviously match up well against average or below average Power 5 teams. Also, I thought that they played fairly well in their only loss to an undefeated team on the road at night.
We (WVU) did suffer injuries, however, only one is season ending. Our Freshman LB Lathan had an apparent lower leg fracture. All other injured players should be available for Houston on Thursday night.

I said "not sure they win 6" not that they can't. Lines are made around betting. Like many here people get sucked into records. Yes, they do have an easy schedule but they're struggled to beat TTU TCU and Pitt. No reason to assume they'll suddenly win easily against bad teams.

If they win 8 I'm wrong. Still confident they won't but hopefully I'm wrong as it's good for a Penn State.

I will travel to that one in Orlando. If WVU can somehow win the next two (no easy task on road in any P5 conference, @Houston) and against a resurging Oklahoma State, the UCF game becomes highly important for us.
Our schedule has definitely been favorable. And it really doesn't matter what everyone thinks as long as we (or any team) win their games.

The notion that the WVU offense is better without Greene, is a notion from someone that doesn't watch our games. He threw the ball pretty well against TCU in the 2nd half and scored two with his legs.

In the end, PSU is a very good team this season for sure. I hope you defeat Michigan and Ohio State and run the table. I think it is a tall task to beat UGA, even though they seem to be less than they were last season. Washington is decent, but I cannot see them defeating you or Michigan or UGA.

Good luck

I will travel to that one in Orlando. If WVU can somehow win the next two (no easy task on road in any P5 conference, @Houston) and against a resurging Oklahoma State, the UCF game becomes highly important for us.
Our schedule has definitely been favorable. And it really doesn't matter what everyone thinks as long as we (or any team) win their games.

The notion that the WVU offense is better without Greene, is a notion from someone that doesn't watch our games. He threw the ball pretty well against TCU in the 2nd half and scored two with his legs.

In the end, PSU is a very good team this season for sure. I hope you defeat Michigan and Ohio State and run the table. I think it is a tall task to beat UGA, even though they seem to be less than they were last season. Washington is decent, but I cannot see them defeating you or Michigan or UGA.

Good luck
Trust me, I've watched them. He completed less than half his passes against TCU. He makes poor reads and throws late into coverage often. He does create plays with his legs but that's not sustainable. He's not a good QB. One of the worst of any P5 team right now. Hopefully for your sake and our sake WVU keeps beating other weak teams but trying to claim Greene isn't a liability...come on now. Look at his passing number against FBS opponents then get back to me.

I said "not sure they win 6" not that they can't. Lines are made around betting. Like many here people get sucked into records. Yes, they do have an easy schedule but they're struggled to beat TTU TCU and Pitt. No reason to assume they'll suddenly win easily against bad teams.

If they win 8 I'm wrong. Still confident they won't but hopefully I'm wrong as it's good for a Penn State.
Lando,

I understand you think little of WVU, but we are improved since the first game against your better Nittany Lions.
Two of WVUs wins (Pitt and TTU) were with our backup Marchiol, who is a capable but still learning QB. Texas Tech has owned WVU for the entirety of the Neal Brown era, so it was basically a milestone to defeat them.

The TCU win at their place was a quality win too. Much of their issues this past Saturday was likely to a let down from losing to WVU. You cannot argue that WVUs initial 5 games were pretty challenging for P5 team
@PSU
Duquesne
Pitt
Texas Tech
@TCU

That is a pretty decent schedule through 5 games

Don’t make me go back and show you. It’s in black and white if a thread when we beat them.
It doesn't exist. Never said that. I said they had a better chance of going 1-4 then winning 8. I may have said "they may not win 3 games" but I never make definitive statements like you're claiming. I think you're confusing those that said Colorado wouldn't win 3 with me.

Texas Tech was beating Oregon with less than 2 minutes left in the game

I haven't watched enough of UCF to presume, but if WVU wins the next 2, I'd expect the FPI to change in their favor.

The notion that the WVU offense is better without Greene, is a notion from someone that doesn't watch our games.

I can't comment on how much WVU ball the commentor has watched, but I liken it to a Skip Bayless hot take: he said it to be controversial moreso than he actually believes it. He is riding the opinion that WVU is a bad team and even if you guys win 8 games, he's still going to run with "they proved me wrong by winning 8, but they beat bad teams and still aren't any good". Yall could go 10-2, be ranked 12-25, and still he will say it's a bad team.

Of course, his grading levels seem different than most. You sometimes have to understand the context of what you are talking to. If it doesn't make sense, understand, I am with you.

Lando,

I understand you think little of WVU, but we are improved since the first game against your better Nittany Lions.
Two of WVUs wins (Pitt and TTU) were with our backup Marchiol, who is a capable but still learning QB. Texas Tech has owned WVU for the entirety of the Neal Brown era, so it was basically a milestone to defeat them.

The TCU win at their place was a quality win too. Much of their issues this past Saturday was likely to a let down from losing to WVU. You cannot argue that WVUs initial 5 games were pretty challenging for P5 team
@PSU
Duquesne
Pitt
Texas Tech
@TCU

That is a pretty decent schedule through 5 games
It's not challenging at all. Pitt may be the worst P5 team in the country and TCU and TTU are awful. See TCU losing to Wyoming and TCU losing to Colorado and I believe Iowa State. It's good for WVU but that doesn't make them good.

Trust me, I've watched them. He completed less than half his passes against TCU. He makes poor reads and throws late into coverage often. He does create plays with his legs but that's not sustainable. He's not a good QB. One of the worst of any P5 team right now. Hopefully for your sake and our sake WVU keeps beating other weak teams but trying to claim Greene isn't a liability...come on now. Look at his passing number against FBS opponents then get back to me.
As a first year starter,
Percentage against who, PSU? He played that game against a superior defense and he struggled and his WRs struggled to get open.

Against Duquesne in pouring rain and delays, he was pitiful in the first half and dominant in the second.

Pitt, he didnt play
TT, he didnt play
TCU- he played decent on the road and won

To say he is a liability shows me you do not watch the games. He is the best we can put on the field currently.

He for sure isn't gonna light the world on fire, but WVU doesn't need him to.

I haven't watched enough of UCF to presume, but if WVU wins the next 2, I'd expect the FPI to change in their favor.

I can't comment on how much WVU ball the commentor has watched, but I liken it to a Skip Bayless hot take: he said it to be controversial moreso than he actually believes it. He is riding the opinion that WVU is a bad team and even if you guys win 8 games, he's still going to run with "they proved me wrong by winning 8, but they beat bad teams and still aren't any good". Yall could go 10-2, be ranked 12-25, and still he will say it's a bad team.

Of course, his grading levels seem different than most. You sometimes have to understand the context of what you are talking to. If it doesn't make sense, understand, I am with you.

Lots of 8 wins teams are bad. See Purdue last year.

And yeah maybe for me to think a team is good they actually have to demonstrate that and not just beat other bad teams. That's why it's important for Penn State to win 11 this year and take a step forward with our soft schedule.

As a first year starter,
Percentage against who, PSU? He played that game against a superior defense and he struggled and his WRs struggled to get open.

Against Duquesne in pouring rain and delays, he was pitiful in the first half and dominant in the second.

Pitt, he didnt play
TT, he didnt play
TCU- he played decent on the road and won

To say he is a liability shows me you do not watch the games. He is the best we can put on the field currently.

He for sure isn't gonna light the world on fire, but WVU doesn't need him to.

You're allowed to disagree if you want. He's not a good QB and many WVU fans share my opinion on that. I'd take him over Jurkovec but not many others in P5. Are you seriously trying to claim that if you need a game winning drive late you think he's capable?

Wyoming only loss is to Texas and they just beat a ranked team
They beat Fresno State who shouldn't have been ranked and isn't now.

They beat Portland State by 14, App State by 3 and New Mexico by 9..good team right there.

They play Air Force and Boise State the next 2 weeks. Let's see if Texas is still their only loss.

And lost to Wyoming and sit at 3-3 without a quality win

Wyoming is actually 5-1, the 1 being to Texas. A game that was 10-10 until the 4th quarter.

Wyoming just beat ranked Fresno State (who always seems to collapse the moment they get ranked). They might end up with the Gof5 bowl slot the way their schedule looks.

Even UNLV is 4-1 right now.

You're allowed to disagree if you want. He's not a good QB and many WVU fans share my opinion on that. I'd take him over Jurkovec but not many others in P5. Are you seriously trying to claim that if you need a game winning drive late you think he's capable?
He is capable yes. Many WVU fans? Most WVU fans care about winning, as do I. He gives our team the best chance to win. Good or Bad QB or comparisons do not matter. Ill take him over most in P5 bc of his ability to run in our current scheme. We aren't running the typical air raid BS that most are doing.

You can disagree with me if you want too. The only thing I care about are wins. Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT